|Medium||CD||DVD||200 GB Hard disk|
|Type||Optical||Optical||Hard disk - Magnetic|
|Number of six megapixel JPEG images||250||1,500||70,000|
|Number of six megapixel uncompressed RAW images||80||500||23,000|
|Number of six megapixel JPEG images per US$||1,000||1,500||700|
|Number of six megapixel uncompressed RAW images per US$||320||660||230|
Since US$1 allows you to store hundreds of images, deciding whether or not you want to keep an image is not worth your time. So I just back up and keep everything I shoot. Then in a later stage I then create a second series with the best images. Image management will be discussed in a future article.
Magnetic Versus Optical Storage
|Cost||Low, but higher than optical||Low|
|Compatibility||High||High for CDs, lower for DVDs|
|Data Stability||Relatively stable, but less than optical||Stable, but lifetime depends on quality|
|Accidental Deletion of data||High||Low as it is read-only|
|Environmental Resistance||Sensitive to shocks and power surges||Sensitive to scratches|
|Data Recovery||Excellent but can cost time and money||Virtually impossible|
|Backup Convenience||Very convenient||Requires burning|
|Reorganizing data||Easy||Requires re-burning|
|Traveling Convenience||One 200 GB disk is relatively compact||275 CDs or even 45 DVDs are bulky.|
So if you make at least one magnetic and at least one optical backup, you are combining the benefits of both media.
- (1) Estimation only. Prices vary a lot depending on where you buy, the quantity, the quality, the brand, and the speed rating, and in case of DVD whether it is DVD+R or DVD-R.
- (2) Estimated, depending on the compression and content of the image.
- (3) Estimated, depending on the content of the image and the camera. Compressed RAW will allow for about 60 to 70% more images.
- (4) Can be reduced by setting the file attributes to "Read-Only".
- (5) As explained earlier, risks are higher for multi-session burning.
This article is written by Vincent Bockaert,
author of The 123 of digital imaging Interactive Learning Suite
Click here to visit 123di.com