|< Previous||Next >|
Taken on: Apr 18, 2012
The ground floor room of the Tudor west wing, now known as the Oak Room, was built on the foundations of the fourteenth century kitchens. It was originally used as the dining room being adjacent to the sixteenth century kitchens which were situated in the courtyard to the south and whose remaining windows may be seen in the Ladies' garden wall. Later generations transferred both the dining room and the kitchens to the east end of the Castle. An unusual feature of the room is the splendid interior porch with its delicate carving and tall 'cartouche' bearing the inscription 'Quod olim fuit meminisse minime iuvat' perhaps placed there by William, 8th Lord Saye & Sele at the time of the restoration of Charles II. It seems likely that this porch was originally installed in the Great Parlour above, which would also have been panelled.
Broughton Castle Church
Taken on: Apr 17, 2012
The parish church of St Mary dates almost entirely from the fourteenth century. On the wall of the South aisle is an elaborate painted tomb of Sir John de Broughton who died in 1315. There are also the tombs of Sir Thomas Wykeham; of William 8th Lord Saye and Sele and his wife and many other family memorials. In the south aisle are a series of family hatchments (tablets on the wall) dating from the seventeenth century.