D100 or D70

Started May 24, 2004 | Discussions
uafgrad
Regular MemberPosts: 183
Like?
D100 or D70
May 24, 2004

I am looking into upgrading from my D1 to either a D70 or D100. They look very similar in stats, though I'm not sure how frustrated I would get without the vertical grip.
Please share with me your thoughts between the two
Thanks
Chris

John Fleming
Contributing MemberPosts: 580Gear list
Like?
Re: D100 or D70
In reply to uafgrad, May 24, 2004

uafgrad wrote:

I am looking into upgrading from my D1 to either a D70 or D100.
They look very similar in stats, though I'm not sure how frustrated
I would get without the vertical grip.
Thanks
Chris

I had the same decision to make... I went with the D100 after comparing the two (I think the D100 is actually built better - not all plastic) . My main reason for going with the D100 is the MB-D100. The MB-D100 is a great addition with the vertical shutter buttom and the ability to use the 10-pin remote. Plus the battery options it gives you... Nikon even suggests going with the D100 if you ever think you'll need the battery back and what it has to offer. The D70 missed the boat on this one - it wouldn't have been a big deal to incorporate the MB-D100 as an accessory for the D70.

John

John Fleming's gear list:John Fleming's gear list
Nikon D300S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lawnmower
Senior MemberPosts: 1,826
Like?
In reply to uafgrad, May 24, 2004

I think the D70 is the right choice. I you must have a vertical grip a you know the answer. If you can live without it, the 70D has great battery life without additional batteries in a grip. The only question is do you mind turning your hand sideways, because battery life is not an issue. The D70 has much better features than the D100 other than the body material. We won't even talk about the flash system that the D70 offers.

uafgrad wrote:

I am looking into upgrading from my D1 to either a D70 or D100.
They look very similar in stats, though I'm not sure how frustrated
I would get without the vertical grip.
Thanks
Chris

Derouyag
Contributing MemberPosts: 813Gear list
Like?
In reply to uafgrad, Jan 9, 2012

Personally I think you should wait for the D400. It will have better ISO and more pixels and people will line up around the block to get it. If you save up enough money, you can get a new D4. I predict the D4 will be an awesome camera that will also include video. I know, hard to imagine video in a DSLR but you heard it first here.

Who knew... hind site is 20/20!

Derouyag's gear list:Derouyag's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +7 more
capanikon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,855Gear list
Like?

You're right: they are very similar. So it doesn't really matter. I'd get the D100 ... it's more pro-oriented. The D100 will have a little more in common with the D1 than the D70 will have in common with the D1.

The D70 will be slightly easier to use since it has some "dummy" modes on the dial, if that appeals to you at all.

The D100's image quality is better than the D1's image quality. The color is nicer, the noise is more controlled, there's no banding or pitting issues at high ISO (some D1's had banding/pitting problems at ISO 800 and over).

The D100 has a more plasticy construction than the D1, though. It's not as solid and beefy as the D1.

If you can afford it, you might also want to look at the D1h or D200 or D80.

The D1h operates quite a bit speedier than the D1, but it has the same number of megapixels (2.7mp) as the D1. The D1h has better color since it has sRGB and AdobeRGB color modes while the D1 only had the odd NTSC color mode.

The image quality on the D200 and D80 is a step above the D1, D100, D70 and D1h.

uafgrad wrote:

I am looking into upgrading from my D1 to either a D70 or D100. They look very similar in stats, though I'm not sure how frustrated I would get without the vertical grip.
Thanks
Chris

capanikon's gear list:capanikon's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6
Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?

Why not the D2X or the D200? Usually half the price of the D2X. However Ronnie G (RIP) liked the D100 for close up work and the D200.

The D100 has a different low pass filter to D200, but Nikon said ". The new low pass filter retains image sharpness, which tends to be sacrificed with the D100, and reduces moiré, making this new camera (D200) easier to use than the D100."

And Thom "Once again the anti-aliasing filter seems to have been tweaked. It doesn't seem quite as relaxed as the D70 and D2h, but it isn't as aggressive as the D1 series or D100. The D2x and D200 seem to both be smack dab in the Goldilocks spot of anti-aliasing"
http://www.bythom.com/d200review.htm

However weak filters have their own problems:

Nikon said: D200 "It also features a new optical low pass filter with infrared cut coating that prevents images from having a red cast, making it easier to reproduce colors, such as the moss green or brown of a cloth colored with vegetable dye, that are very difficult to reproduce with current products.

Very detailed review of D2X V D200 here
http://diglloyd.com/articles/D200-vs-D2X/main.html

John

Cytokine
Like?
In reply to Derouyag, Jan 9, 2012

What is amazing is that those cameras are still near state of the art at low ISO and still relevant today, eight years later.

John

capanikon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,855Gear list
Like?
In reply to Cytokine, Jan 9, 2012

I just realized the original question is from 2004!

D'oh.

capanikon's gear list:capanikon's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6
Cytokine
Like?
In reply to capanikon, Jan 9, 2012

capanikon wrote:

I just realized the original question is from 2004!

D'oh.

Me too! on my first reply, I think they should put the old posts in red or something or we need glasses. But funny that we could not tell by the subject!

John

talmy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,007Gear list
Like?
D2X and D200 don't exist yet back in 2004
In reply to Cytokine, Jan 9, 2012

But given the choice of D70 vs D100, the D70, being brand new, is a much better choice. That's the way I went back then.

-- hide signature --

Equipment in my User Profile.

talmy's gear list:talmy's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Gale Bizet
Forum ProPosts: 15,258Gear list
Like?
lol.....
In reply to talmy, Jan 9, 2012

I had a D100..

But still have a D200 and love it....6 years....

Had a D300 also and sold it....

Silly to reply , but what the heck:> )))

Happy New Year
--
Nikon Gal
Best Regards
Gale

http://www.pbase.com/techwish

HSway
Senior MemberPosts: 2,765
Like?
d200 value
In reply to Cytokine, Jan 10, 2012

I see the digital camera like our film, I mean the camera sensor. D200 belongs to the good quality category of films. Perhaps just about the first nikon film that reached that level for what I see a reasonable cost.

It's no surprise the camera holds its value then. People value films differently, like paint brushes and paint they work with. Those with appreciation to this one will simply have a firm opinion about it. DR and base iso noise is about as good as top Canon apsc current films, even a tad better on a screen display. The limit being potentially in base and low iso only use and in the resolution (– with 10mp capability generally not necessarily limited). So the d200 "film" appreciated for its aesthetical value personally is also a full value technically for the intended use. The point is that it’s an early qualitative film , technically fully capable within its spec or we can say within its design - especially at that base iso. It has limited use for some, for others not that much. There are and will be more capable films but if the added technical quality is less valued than an aesthetic one by a particular user, one can hardly argue against the choice. All that can obviously equally apply the other way round, in all ways and combinations.

Hynek

-- hide signature --
Karld70
Senior MemberPosts: 2,468
Like?
In reply to Derouyag, Jan 10, 2012

What made you decide to reply to this old post?

I wonder what he decided on.

le_alain
Senior MemberPosts: 1,011Gear list
Like?
Re: lol.....
In reply to Gale Bizet, Jan 12, 2012

lol too

had a D70, a D1x and a D300
sold the D300 and still have the 2 others !

but not for IQ at high ISO !!!
there are many other reasons

le_alain's gear list:le_alain's gear list
Fujifilm X20
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads