Dental Pictures

Started Apr 23, 2003 | Discussions
Rod Mürrer
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
Dental Pictures
Apr 23, 2003

Hi!

I've just signed up for this list because I need some help to choose a Digital Camera.

I am a dentistry professor and untill now I have used a Nikon F2 with a Medical Nikkor Lens ( http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/speciallenses/120medical.htm ) to make the pictures I use to teach.

For some time I have been waiting to buy a digital camera and now I feel is the right time (mainly because now I have the money )

For my purposes I need a camera that my Medical Lens can be used with.

I've been doing some research and as far as I could understand the best cameras to my need are:

• Canon EOS-1Ds

• Fuji FinePix S2 Pro

• Kodak DCS Pro 14n

• Nikon D1X

So, I need some advice about what are the advantages of each and what is the BEST choice to me.

Thanks to all that answer me!

Rod Mürrer

Jonathan
Regular MemberPosts: 450
Like?
Cant use the canon..
In reply to Rod Mürrer, Apr 23, 2003

Rod,
you cant use the canon with that lens so it is out.
The things you need to ask yourself are..
How large do these images need to be printed.
are they going to only be seen on screen and lastly
how much can I spend.
The kodak would be over kill IMHO.
Fuji S2 is great camera and cheap.

Nikon D1H is cheap and will last for years, Same with the D1X these cameras are built like tanks.
The D100 Might be your best bet.
Cost and sensor size makes it a good deal.
Just make sure your lens will work with the camera.
Have fun,
Jon Zalkin

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jon Stewart
Senior MemberPosts: 1,230
Like?
Dental photography
In reply to Rod Mürrer, Apr 23, 2003

I'd recommend the 1DS with the 100 macro lens and perhaps ringlite, if your dental lights don't do the trick.

What are you intending doing with the photos that you need such detail?

Could I suggest you consider the Canon 10D as well; a lot cheaper, and quite sufficient detail (in my opinion) for prepress requirements you're likely to have. I mean you're not trying to produce very scary 24x18" photos of advanced dental caries for use in dental education of young kids

PS I was a dentophobe until I met my present dentist!

Best Regards
Jon

Rod Mürrer wrote:

Hi!
I've just signed up for this list because I need some help to
choose a Digital Camera.

I am a dentistry professor and untill now I have used a Nikon F2
with a Medical Nikkor Lens

( http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/speciallenses/120medical.htm ) to make the pictures I use to teach.

For some time I have been waiting to buy a digital camera and now I
feel is the right time (mainly because now I have the money )

I've been doing some research and as far as I could understand the
best cameras to my need are:

• Canon EOS-1Ds

• Fuji FinePix S2 Pro

• Kodak DCS Pro 14n

• Nikon D1X

So, I need some advice about what are the advantages of each and
what is the BEST choice to me.

Rod Mürrer

-- hide signature --

Jon Stewart
jon@jonstewartphotographic.com

Dirk Rieke-Zapp
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Re: Dental Pictures
In reply to Rod Mürrer, Apr 27, 2003

You actually can use any Nikon or Canon mount based digital camera. The medical lens allows only limited functionality even with the latest Nikon mount bodies. http://www.zoerk.com or http://www.novoflex.com offer a mechanical adapter (no optics involved) adapter to mount Nikon lenses on Canon. Actually the Canon's will allow more exposure modes with a non-EOS lens than Nikon does with non-AF/AF-D lenses. Similar adapters can be found to mount Leica-R on EOS cameras, very nice performance if you accept that you have to work with stop down aperture. Right now I am using a Schneider lens on my EOS and the optical quality more than compensates for the stop down metering!

I just compared a couple digital cameras and was surprised about the low quality level offered by the Kodak (DCS14n). The sensor is huge, but the handling is horrible. The current Nikon cameras as well as the Kodak seam not to stand up next to the Canon 1Ds which has very nice signal processing, metal body, a large sensor and a lot less other problems than Kodak or the by now more or less outdated Nikon digitals. Even the Canon EOS 10D offers a lot more than some of the much more expensive competitors. I have to assume that you will use the digital camera not only for work and with the medical lens, so Canon would mean a complete change of system and philosophie for you. I did the same 2 years ago and the only thing I am really missing is a waist level finder - on the other hand I used to miss alot more in Nikon cameras.

Ray Lander
Contributing MemberPosts: 948
Like?
Re: Dental Pictures
In reply to Rod Mürrer, Apr 27, 2003

Professor Murrer,

I am a dentist also, and I do take digital images in my office. Do you need to take intraoral images? I guess you might.

There are a few choices, you mentioned some.

It depends on what results you need. Do you use mirrors?

You can use the Nikon or Fuji (same camera, different CCD) digital bodies and try to see if the Medical lens will work. IF not, the Nikon 105 micro with the Nikon SB-29 s attached work perfectly with either of these bodies. The Fuji seems (general consensus on the net) to give sharper images with more detail right out of the camera, without much post-processing. IF you wish to go the Canon route, one of the new digital bodies, even the 10D, with the Canon 14-E ring flash will do well.

Any of these cameras will allow for enough manual overrides to be able to get your small apertures for depth of field, and enough light for even illumination. The 105 mm macro lens becomes 160 mm in 35 mm equivalent. Your 120 mm, if it works, becomes a 180 mm lens, so both will give you more close-up then you had before (i.e. you can shoot the same size on the screen from farther away)

Hope this helps

Rod Mürrer wrote:

Hi!
I've just signed up for this list because I need some help to
choose a Digital Camera.

I am a dentistry professor and untill now I have used a Nikon F2
with a Medical Nikkor Lens

( http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/speciallenses/120medical.htm ) to make the pictures I use to teach.

For some time I have been waiting to buy a digital camera and now I
feel is the right time (mainly because now I have the money )

I've been doing some research and as far as I could understand the
best cameras to my need are:

• Canon EOS-1Ds

• Fuji FinePix S2 Pro

• Kodak DCS Pro 14n

• Nikon D1X

So, I need some advice about what are the advantages of each and
what is the BEST choice to me.

Rod Mürrer

-- hide signature --

Ray Lander