New shutter software for coolpixes

Started Apr 1, 2003 | Discussions
Aristarco
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
New shutter software for coolpixes
Apr 1, 2003

Hi to all!

I have been working in a new remote shutter software for the Nikon coolpixes (those that are compatible with the USB mass storage interface and with the Nikon MC-EU1 remote shutter). This software, named "krinnicam" has the following features (depending on the cable you use to connect the camera to the computer):

  • Nikon UC-E1 (standard USB cable, supplied with camera): shutter control (no bulb mode), zoom setting and automatic image downloading.

  • Nikon SC-EW3 (optional serial cable for 990, but valid also for newer models): shutter control (bulb mode supported) and zoom adjusting.

  • Aristarco's or Jean Beaumier's dual cable (homemade cables): shutter control (bulb mode supported), zoom control and automatic image downloading.

If you are interested in krinnicam, please visit: http://krinnicam.cjb.net for more information.

You can also join krinnicam users' group: http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/krinnicam .

By the moment, krinnicam has been tested only on 995s under Windows 2000 Professional. Any feedback about other models and operating systems is welcomed.

Hope you find it useful.
Aristarco

SillyDog
Regular MemberPosts: 169
Like?
Re: New shutter software for coolpixes
In reply to Aristarco, Apr 1, 2003

Hey Aristarco, any plans for a Mac version of this software? It looks great but I hate using my Windows box for anything more that solitare;)

Charles

http://www.pbase.com/digitalgiant
http://www.digitalgiant.net
Apple QuickTake 150, Sony DSC-F1, Cannon S110, Nikon 5000.
Mac user for the past 17 years:)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aristarco
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
Re: New shutter software for coolpixes
In reply to SillyDog, Apr 1, 2003

Hi, SillyDog, but no Mac machines around here to work with. By the moment, no plans for a Mac version, sorry. Keep on your Mac even to play solitaire, don't become infected with windows as I am...

Aristarco

SillyDog wrote:

Hey Aristarco, any plans for a Mac version of this software? It
looks great but I hate using my Windows box for anything more that
solitare;)

Charles

http://www.pbase.com/digitalgiant
http://www.digitalgiant.net
Apple QuickTake 150, Sony DSC-F1, Cannon S110, Nikon 5000.
Mac user for the past 17 years:)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kyb
kyb
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: New shutter software for coolpixes
In reply to Aristarco, Apr 1, 2003

Thanks for your great work!!!
You may add the following setup to your list of tested systems:
CP4500 V1.2
WinXP Pro
via USB-Cable

One little thing. The camera disables TV-Out while connected to the Computer. I would like to use the my TV-Card for a large live preview. Is there any possibility to activate it?

Thnaks again, Kyb...

P.S.: Bad day to release your software. First I thought it would be an April Hoax, because I was searching a long time for this Software, but only found some which required the serial cable. But it was worth the risk being an Aprilfool...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aristarco
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
Re: New shutter software for coolpixes
In reply to kyb, Apr 1, 2003

kyb wrote:

Thanks for your great work!!!
You may add the following setup to your list of tested systems:
CP4500 V1.2
WinXP Pro
via USB-Cable

That are good news! Thank you for the feedback!

One little thing. The camera disables TV-Out while connected to the
Computer. I would like to use the my TV-Card for a large live
preview. Is there any possibility to activate it?

I'd like also to use that feature, but hadn't tested so far. Bad news now. I will investigate it, but don't expect too much. We are under the limits imposed by the camera protocol, which seems not to be very flexible, and what is more, we don't know it completely...

Thnaks again, Kyb...

P.S.: Bad day to release your software. First I thought it would be
an April Hoax, because I was searching a long time for this
Software, but only found some which required the serial cable. But
it was worth the risk being an Aprilfool...

Sorry, didn't know anything about "April Hoax" (I think there is something similar to that in my country, but it's on December 28th), just a coincidence...

Cheers!

Aristarco

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Brent Haydamack
Regular MemberPosts: 166
Like?
Re: New shutter software for coolpixes
In reply to Aristarco, Apr 1, 2003

Works great for:

995, Win XP Pro, USB Cable.

Selecting raw seems to kill the automatic download. Not sure if the white balance setting works.

Would be great to have apeture, shutter and exposure compensation available.

Nice Job!

Brent

Aristarco wrote:

Hi to all!

I have been working in a new remote shutter software for the Nikon
coolpixes (those that are compatible with the USB mass storage
interface and with the Nikon MC-EU1 remote shutter). This software,
named "krinnicam" has the following features (depending on the
cable you use to connect the camera to the computer):

  • Nikon UC-E1 (standard USB cable, supplied with camera): shutter

control (no bulb mode), zoom setting and automatic image
downloading.

  • Nikon SC-EW3 (optional serial cable for 990, but valid also for

newer models): shutter control (bulb mode supported) and zoom
adjusting.

  • Aristarco's or Jean Beaumier's dual cable (homemade cables):

shutter control (bulb mode supported), zoom control and automatic
image downloading.

If you are interested in krinnicam, please visit:
http://krinnicam.cjb.net for more information.

You can also join krinnicam users' group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/krinnicam .

By the moment, krinnicam has been tested only on 995s under Windows
2000 Professional. Any feedback about other models and operating
systems is welcomed.

Hope you find it useful.
Aristarco

-- hide signature --

Brent Haydamack
brenthaydamack@yahoo.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Brent Haydamack
Regular MemberPosts: 166
Like?
Re: New shutter software for coolpixes
In reply to Brent Haydamack, Apr 1, 2003

Also, plus and minus options are grayed out on mine. Can only enter focal length by specific number. It would be good to have the plus and minus working.

Brent

Brent Haydamack wrote:
Works great for:

995, Win XP Pro, USB Cable.

Selecting raw seems to kill the automatic download. Not sure if the
white balance setting works.

Would be great to have apeture, shutter and exposure compensation
available.

Nice Job!

Brent

Aristarco wrote:

Hi to all!

I have been working in a new remote shutter software for the Nikon
coolpixes (those that are compatible with the USB mass storage
interface and with the Nikon MC-EU1 remote shutter). This software,
named "krinnicam" has the following features (depending on the
cable you use to connect the camera to the computer):

  • Nikon UC-E1 (standard USB cable, supplied with camera): shutter

control (no bulb mode), zoom setting and automatic image
downloading.

  • Nikon SC-EW3 (optional serial cable for 990, but valid also for

newer models): shutter control (bulb mode supported) and zoom
adjusting.

  • Aristarco's or Jean Beaumier's dual cable (homemade cables):

shutter control (bulb mode supported), zoom control and automatic
image downloading.

If you are interested in krinnicam, please visit:
http://krinnicam.cjb.net for more information.

You can also join krinnicam users' group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/krinnicam .

By the moment, krinnicam has been tested only on 995s under Windows
2000 Professional. Any feedback about other models and operating
systems is welcomed.

Hope you find it useful.
Aristarco

-- hide signature --

Brent Haydamack
brenthaydamack@yahoo.com

-- hide signature --

Brent Haydamack
brenthaydamack@yahoo.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aristarco
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
Re: New shutter software for coolpixes
In reply to Brent Haydamack, Apr 1, 2003

Hi, Brent

Brent Haydamack wrote:

Works great for:

995, Win XP Pro, USB Cable.

Ok, thanks for the feedback.

Selecting raw seems to kill the automatic download.

Ops! I forgot to hide that option. It is not implemented by the moment, I mean that "Enable RAW" is supposed to have NO effect. Can you possibly try again and see if that situation happens again?

Not sure if the
white balance setting works.

You can do the following: with the camera unplugged, set "auto" for instance (note you should set the dial to "M", not to "A"), then plug the camera, run krinnicam, change the setting to "fine" or whatever, close and unplug, and then confirm if the camera has changed the white balance mode. If it isn't working, please inform me.

Would be great to have apeture, shutter and exposure compensation
available.

Yes, you're right... But believe me, I tried, but the 995 doesn't like that idea. The problem is that models newer than the 990 doesn't accept shutter/aperture setting commands through the communications protocol. I can try if exposure compensation works...

Nice Job!

Brent

Thank you, Brent!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aristarco
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
Re: New shutter software for coolpixes
In reply to Brent Haydamack, Apr 1, 2003

Brent Haydamack wrote:

Also, plus and minus options are grayed out on mine. Can only
enter focal length by specific number. It would be good to have the
plus and minus working.

Well, W and T buttons are enabled on serial mode (if you have a SC-EW3 cable or a dual cable). These buttons emulate the camera W and T buttons. In standard mode (USB) the camera changes the zoom by specifying the focal length. Then I added a slider to do that (it also can be specified by typing the focal length value). I could add the functionality of the W/T buttons to simulate their operation on the camera, but this involves some technical issues that should be faced (not as easy as it seems). I don't have much time to spend in development, so I took the easier solution wich relies on the focal length slider.
Anyway I will put this on my "to-do" list, perhaps in a newer version...

Thanks for your suggestions.
Aristarco

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Midnight2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,196
Like?
explanation please
In reply to Aristarco, Apr 2, 2003

Could someone explain what exactly this software does and under what circumstances one would use it. I'm lost.

-- hide signature --

midnight2, CP775, 4500, Portland, Or.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SLYDoggie
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
Compare/Contrast to TheForce???
In reply to Aristarco, Apr 2, 2003

I currently use TheForce along with HocusFocus for my digital astro photography. It looks like your software does similar functions to TheForce but I am curious what advantages your software might have over TheForce. I noticed that your FAQ even mentions TheForce. I have both the USB and the Serial Cable (but not combined).

Regards, Steve Yarbrough
Brentwood, TN - USA
Coolpix 4500

Aristarco wrote:

Hi to all!

I have been working in a new remote shutter software for the Nikon
coolpixes (those that are compatible with the USB mass storage
interface and with the Nikon MC-EU1 remote shutter). This software,
named "krinnicam" has the following features (depending on the
cable you use to connect the camera to the computer):

  • Nikon UC-E1 (standard USB cable, supplied with camera): shutter

control (no bulb mode), zoom setting and automatic image
downloading.

  • Nikon SC-EW3 (optional serial cable for 990, but valid also for

newer models): shutter control (bulb mode supported) and zoom
adjusting.

  • Aristarco's or Jean Beaumier's dual cable (homemade cables):

shutter control (bulb mode supported), zoom control and automatic
image downloading.

If you are interested in krinnicam, please visit:
http://krinnicam.cjb.net for more information.

You can also join krinnicam users' group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/krinnicam .

By the moment, krinnicam has been tested only on 995s under Windows
2000 Professional. Any feedback about other models and operating
systems is welcomed.

Hope you find it useful.
Aristarco

-- hide signature --

Regards, Steve Yarbrough... CP4500

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mark Richard
Regular MemberPosts: 152
Like?
You could become a hero
In reply to Aristarco, Apr 2, 2003

Great work... For too long the mysterious CP995 USB has annoyed people. Like you say, it has it's benefits but limits camera control.

I hope you manage to extend your product to fully control the camera, although I realise you have very little information to work from. I'm not sure why you have problems with Win98 - presumably the USB implementation is flaky.

Good luck with improving your program. I can't wait to try it out soon. I'd love to hear that you can control aperture, shutter, and bulb via USB.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Allen Tang
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
Re: New shutter software for coolpixes
In reply to Aristarco, Apr 2, 2003

Hi Aristarco,

Good work. I tried it with my CP5000, Windows 2000, USB cable. It is working with some minor problems:

1. I flipped the LCD back onto the back of the camera. With the USB cable connected and the software running, the imgae is displayed upside down on the LCD screen.

2. Occassionly the picture in the LCD screen is displayed in two halves when the program is running. I unplug the USB cable and the display reverts to normal.

3. After taking a picture, the LCD display becomes very dark. I unplug the USB cable and the display brightness reverts to normal.

4. I cannot set the picture compression to 2560x1920 fine mode. Once I set it to fine mode, the "picture remaining" counter changes to 0. If I set it to anything else, like 1600x1200, the remaining picture counter changes accordingly.

5. I entered the focal length, the hour glass comes on for a few seconds and the focal length on screen doesn't change. Nothing happens on the canera as well.

6. After taking a picture, the status indicator say "downloading....". I took another picture, it said pciture taken is 1, downloaded is 0. It is not downloading any more picture.

7. I set the pciture compression to fine on the camera, not entering anything on the program. After taking several picture, I exited the program and unplugged the USB cable. The "picture remaining" counter on the camera didn't change, as if no picture had been taken. But I can view all the pictures using the quick view button. If I set the compression to XVGA, VGA, etc form the program, the pciture taken counter on the camera was updated correctly.

Keep up with your great work.

Regards,
Allen

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alex Chen
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
Re: New shutter software for coolpixes
In reply to Aristarco, Apr 2, 2003

Hi Aristarco,

Thank you for this software.

I tried it with my CP5700 in Win XP Pro.

I cannot set camera zoom, and Picture size.

Good software

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alex Pupko
Forum MemberPosts: 54
Like?
Re: New shutter software for coolpixes
In reply to Alex Chen, Apr 2, 2003

I have been waiting for this forever for this.
Thank you!
With 5700 and XP pro basic functionality is there.
Zoom won't work, I can change resolution though.
Sometimes pictures won't upload automatically.
Will test it some more now.
Will be waiting for updates.
THANK YOU AGAIN!!!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aristarco
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
Re: Compare/Contrast to TheForce???
In reply to SLYDoggie, Apr 2, 2003

Hello, Steve.

krinnicam supports the UC-E1 (USB) cable, which is used for both shutter control and image downloading. With TheForce you will need a SC-EW3 (serial) cable and it doesn't support image downloading.

But there is a catch. Serial control mode is more flexible than USB, and this becomes specially important in the case of astrophotography, where you may need longer exposures (only achievable with bulb mode, which is NOT available in USB control mode). But in serial mode, you cannot download images as fast as via USB.

This problems can be solved if one builds a dual cable, which switchs on and off between those modes, so you can get the most of them. krinnicam can drive a dual cable for that purpose.

In short: if you want both shutter control and image downloading, you will have to move to krinnicam (and use a USB or better, a dual cable); if you only want shutter control, and you already have a serial cable, you can use The Force or krinnicam. In that case, I'd go for TheForce, which has also a bracketing feature, and most important, it's "well-known", it works perfectly (thanks Gregory!) and used by a lot of people for a long time now.

PS: as far as I tested, it seems that krinnicam shutter timings are a bit more accurate than TheForce, but this may vary from system to system. Or just I'm wrong, remember I'm the father of the creiature...

Hope that helps.
Clear skies!
Aristarco

SLYDoggie wrote:

I currently use TheForce along with HocusFocus for my digital astro
photography. It looks like your software does similar functions to
TheForce but I am curious what advantages your software might have
over TheForce. I noticed that your FAQ even mentions TheForce. I
have both the USB and the Serial Cable (but not combined).

Regards, Steve Yarbrough
Brentwood, TN - USA
Coolpix 4500

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aristarco
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
Re: You could become a hero
In reply to Mark Richard, Apr 2, 2003

Mark Richard wrote:

Great work...

Thank you, Mark!!

For too long the mysterious CP995 USB has annoyed
people.

As the krinnicam home page says, without the work of Paul69 (on his CP2500) and its cpixraw, I wouldn't do this.

Like you say, it has it's benefits but limits camera
control.

I hope you manage to extend your product to fully control the
camera, although I realise you have very little information to work
from.

Yes, the biblia here is the Sierra protocol description by Eugene Crosser, anything not written there is pure mystery... or even myth.

I'm not sure why you have problems with Win98 - presumably
the USB implementation is flaky.

Probably that W98 USB implementation is flaky, and surely krinnicam USB implementation is flaky...

Good luck with improving your program. I can't wait to try it out
soon. I'd love to hear that you can control aperture, shutter, and
bulb via USB.

Yes these features would be nice.... but I admit that I really have no idea about how to get them working. The 995 just complain when ordered to change those settings.

Again, thank you for the kind words!
Aristarco

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aristarco
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
Re: New shutter software for coolpixes
In reply to Allen Tang, Apr 2, 2003

Hi Allen, first of all, thanks for the feedback. At this stage it is really needed.

Allen Tang wrote:

Hi Aristarco,

Good work. I tried it with my CP5000, Windows 2000, USB cable. It
is working with some minor problems:

you're very kind, krinnicam have many problems with CP5000 as a I can see.

1. I flipped the LCD back onto the back of the camera. With the USB
cable connected and the software running, the imgae is displayed
upside down on the LCD screen.

2. Occassionly the picture in the LCD screen is displayed in two
halves when the program is running. I unplug the USB cable and the
display reverts to normal.

3. After taking a picture, the LCD display becomes very dark. I
unplug the USB cable and the display brightness reverts to normal.

These issues probably cannot be faced with the information I have about the camera protocol. Sorry.

4. I cannot set the picture compression to 2560x1920 fine mode.
Once I set it to fine mode, the "picture remaining" counter changes
to 0. If I set it to anything else, like 1600x1200, the remaining
picture counter changes accordingly.

This is a general issue with any coolpix except 995 (the model I own). I think I can solve it but I will need more feedback, because the internal codes that describe the resolution+quality modes are not documented anywhere. When I am done, I will post a "debug" version of krinnicam that will show these codes, then you will only have to report them to me, and I will add their support.

5. I entered the focal length, the hour glass comes on for a few
seconds and the focal length on screen doesn't change. Nothing
happens on the canera as well.

Bad thing. Which is the current focal length value shown on screen?

That feature works in 995 and 4500, it seems to me that the newer the model, the less functionality available through the standard protocol... As the LCD issues, I think I cannot solve this by the moment (I don't have any CP5000 at hand to experiment with)

6. After taking a picture, the status indicator say
"downloading....". I took another picture, it said pciture taken
is 1, downloaded is 0. It is not downloading any more picture.

Som if I understood well, the software only downloads the first series of images. Similar downloading problems also show up with the 5700. I will investigate it further. Please, patience...

7. I set the pciture compression to fine on the camera, not
entering anything on the program. After taking several picture, I
exited the program and unplugged the USB cable. The "picture
remaining" counter on the camera didn't change, as if no picture
had been taken. But I can view all the pictures using the quick
view button. If I set the compression to XVGA, VGA, etc form the
program, the pciture taken counter on the camera was updated
correctly.

Not sure if this is a bug on krinnicam. The "remaining" counter reads an internal camera register, and should coincide with the value that the camera shows on the LCD. Also, this counter is actually an estimate: at least with the 995, sometimes I shot, it doesn't change (this happen if the image shot is much smaller than the value expected by camera predicition algorithm -- just trying to think of a reason).

Keep up with your great work.

Regards,
Allen

Again, thank you for the feedback. I will try to solve as many problems as I can.
Aristarco.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aristarco
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
Re: New shutter software for coolpixes
In reply to Alex Pupko, Apr 2, 2003

Alex Pupko wrote:

I have been waiting for this forever for this.
Thank you!
With 5700 and XP pro basic functionality is there.
Zoom won't work, I can change resolution though.
Sometimes pictures won't upload automatically.
Will test it some more now.
Will be waiting for updates.
THANK YOU AGAIN!!!

Thank you both Alex Chen and Alex Pupko.

As you say, there are problems with zoom control on CP5000/5700, no good perspective for making feature to work on these models.

I suppose that your problems with resolution are specific to the 2048x1536 mode that is not supported on CP5700 (which has 2560x1920 instead). The other (lower) modes should work. I will work on this as soon as I have some spare time.

The problem with image transfer from camera to computer is more worring for me. I will work on this too. By the moment seems to be specific to 5000 and 5700 and that is a problem because I can't borrow any of them.

Again, thanks.
Aristarco.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aristarco
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
Re: explanation please
In reply to Midnight2, Apr 2, 2003

Midnight2 wrote:

Could someone explain what exactly this software does and under
what circumstances one would use it. I'm lost.
--
midnight2, CP775, 4500, Portland, Or.

Hi

Sorry if "documentation" is not very clarifying. With this software, you can control some features of your camera from your computer. Specifically, you can instruct your camera when to shoot an image just like you pressed the camera shutter button.

Of course, you will need a cable to connect the camera to the computer in order to get krinnicam working. The simplest solution is to use the USB cable that comes with your camera when you purchased it. This cable is named "UC-E1" and this is the option you have to choose when you first start krinnicam.

Basically, you select a number of images to shoot (say 6) and the time interval between shots (say 10secs). When you press "Start" button, your computer will instruct your camera (4500, not the 775) to shoot one image, then wait for the 10s interval time to complete, then shoot another image, etc. until you get 6 pictures. When this shooting process ends, the software transfers that 6 images from your camera to a folder on your computer.

The main advantage of a "remote shutter" as krinnicam is that you don't touch the camera while shooting. Therefore, images at slow exposures won't be fuzzy (assuming the subject is not moving). Sometimes is interesting not to shoot just one image, but a series of them, for example, in astrophotography: you shoot many images of the same subject (a planet, for example), and, later, "mix" them to obtain only one, but more detailed, image of that subject.

Hope that helps.
Aristarco

PS: I'm not an English native speaker, so if anyone find this confusing, or just can provide better examples, please feel free to explain it to this person.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads