MC-20 with 40-150.... I'm impressed.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Photo Pete Veteran Member • Posts: 5,221
MC-20 with 40-150.... I'm impressed.

This teleconverter is by far the best I've tried (including the MC-14 and FF TCs from Nikon, sigma etc on FF). I'm really impressed.

If anyone is thinking about it but has been put off by bad teleconverter experiences previously then think again. This one is different.

The following is a controlled test of centre and corner sharpness and field curvature... an image of an OS map mounted parallel to the camera sensor, taken with aperture wide open (f2.8 on lens, f5.6 effective with TC). Camera mounted on Gitzo series 3 tripod. Manual magnified focus. IMHO this is pretty impressive for any lens, regardless of having a 2x TC attached.

The image has not been cropped and so the corner sharpness here is the corner sharpness of the TC / Lens combo. Auto tone has been applied in photoshop post processing, but no other tweaks have been done to the jpeg straight out of the camera.

I originally thought there was a little softness, but after closer inspection this is actually just the ink bleeding into the paper on the map.

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 17,418
Re: MC-20 with 40-150.... I'm impressed.

Agree that's an impressive result, especially since it's wide open. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

OP Photo Pete Veteran Member • Posts: 5,221

A lot of real world samples on the web which show it to be impressive for centrally positioned subjects, but quite hard to find examples which show how the performance fares over the entire frame, from centre to edge to corner. Hopefully this example will help a bit in answering that question (and it might also be useful to anyone going walking in Scotland )

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

Jeff Veteran Member • Posts: 6,199

I'm really wanting this little device.  Looks like others are, too, since it's backordered everywhere.

If anyone knows where to pick one of these up before the summer is gone, let me know!

Jeff's gear list:Jeff's gear list
Olympus 45mm F1.2 Pro Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +9 more
Bassaidai Regular Member • Posts: 274

Photo Pete wrote:

This teleconverter is by far the best I've tried (including the MC-14 and FF TCs from Nikon, sigma etc on FF). I'm really impressed.

If anyone is thinking about it but has been put off by bad teleconverter experiences previously then think again. This one is different.

The following is a controlled test of centre and corner sharpness and field curvature... an image of an OS map mounted parallel to the camera sensor, taken with aperture wide open (f2.8 on lens, f5.6 effective with TC). Camera mounted on Gitzo series 3 tripod. Manual magnified focus. IMHO this is pretty impressive for any lens, regardless of having a 2x TC attached.

The image has not been cropped and so the corner sharpness here is the corner sharpness of the TC / Lens combo. Auto tone has been applied in photoshop post processing, but no other tweaks have been done to the jpeg straight out of the camera.

I originally thought there was a little softness, but after closer inspection this is actually just the ink bleeding into the paper on the map.

Impressive result. Thanks for sharing👍

-- hide signature --

Bass
If things appear to good to be true - they're usually neither of both.

Bassaidai's gear list:Bassaidai's gear list
Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +7 more
glassoholic
glassoholic Veteran Member • Posts: 4,988

Me too... the loss of speed can be an issue, but it is definitely the best 2x I have ever tried. I found it needed 2/3 stopping down on the zoom and a third stop down on the 300 Pro. Those 9 elements in construction must be for more than just show!

-- hide signature --

M43 equivalence: "Twice the fun with half the weight"
"You are a long time dead" -
Credit to whoever said that first and my wife for saying it to me. Make the best you can of every day!

glassoholic wrote:

Me too... the loss of speed can be an issue, but it is definitely the best 2x I have ever tried. I found it needed 2/3 stopping down on the zoom and a third stop down on the 300 Pro. Those 9 elements in construction must be for more than just show!

What is impressing me is that you really don’t have to stop it down to get some great results. You get marginal benefit by stopping down to f4, but nothing really significant. I guess it is performing exactly like the naked lens... optimised for wide open shooting.

Every 2x TC I’ve had previously has needed 1-2 stops stopping down just to get acceptable results and it has been debatable whether just cropping would be as good as the TC. The MC-20 seems to be a different beast altogether... it really is like having a new lens.

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

glassoholic
glassoholic Veteran Member • Posts: 4,988

Photo Pete wrote:

glassoholic wrote:

What is impressing me is that you really don’t have to stop it down to get some great results. You get marginal benefit by stopping down to f4, but nothing really significant. I guess it is performing exactly like the naked lens... optimised for wide open shooting.

Every 2x TC I’ve had previously has needed 1-2 stops stopping down just to get acceptable results and it has been debatable whether just cropping would be as good as the TC. The MC-20 seems to be a different beast altogether... it really is like having a new lens.

Yes... Those are the words I was looking for... optimised for wide open (or close to it) usage. I see no benefit stopping down further than what I mentioned whereas other TC's over the years I have tried get better (because they were so woeful wide open).

-- hide signature --

M43 equivalence: "Twice the fun with half the weight"
"You are a long time dead" -
Credit to whoever said that first and my wife for saying it to me. Make the best you can of every day!

Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 17,326
Olympus 75-300mm f4.8-6.7 II

With the 2x TC that would make the 40-150mm f2.8 an 80-300mm f5.6. Very similar to the Olympus 75-300mm f4.8-6.7 II. With all the great reports about the 75-300mm it would be interesting for there to be a comparison.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

I had the 75-300 for quite a while. The TC is definitely better than my copy of the 75-300mkii was... at 300mm at least.

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 7,274

Simply the best rear mounted teleconverter that I have used (comparing all Canon and Nikon ones really).

But I think I should retest Canon latest with their lates high Mpix bodies etc to see is there any improvements in new manufactured units.

For its purpose, 2 stops lower exposure is nothing for daytime.

Joeb0b New Member • Posts: 17

How did the image end up being 50 megapixels?

Joeb0b's gear list:Joeb0b's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sigma 30mm F1.4 for Micro Four Thirds Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II

Joeb0b wrote:

HR mode....

mikero Senior Member • Posts: 1,239

Very impressive.  Thanks for sharing your experience.

Mike

mikero's gear list:mikero's gear list
Sony a6000 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus 45mm F1.2 Pro Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +5 more

Tommi K1 wrote:

Joeb0b wrote:

HR mode....

Yes. The out of camera jpeg from Hi-Res. To be honest There is probably a little camera shake in it too as some of the plain areas are showing some minor processing artefacts. I didn’t use a remote release (yes... I know... I know...)

I wanted to use Hi-Res as it would be more revealing of any optical defects in the MC-20.

Results could also probably be better if processing the raw.

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

Photo Pete wrote:

it really is like having a new lens.

That's it in the essence of new teleconverter.

For me, my 1.4x TC is perfect, no loss of any sharpness wide open. But the benefits of using a 56-210mm f/4 over 40-150mm f/2.8 is small as just 1.4x more is just "not enough" as reason for most cases unless you really are all the time at 150mm. So for loss of one stop of light for 1.4x, it is little nothing, yet great compared how tiny and light it is and no loss for image quality.

But this 2x TC is just totally huge benefit. 80-300mm f/5.6 lens... That is just great wide open. Now that two stops has meaningful trade to 2x magnification capability. For its price 450€ you really do get "a new lens". That is just about 3cm (with lens caps) and weights nicely 150 grams...

So now a professional can carry light and compact set:

• 2x E-M1 II (580g)
  • 7-14mm f/2.8 (540g)
  • 12-40mm f/2.8 (380g)
  • 40-150mm f/2.8 (760g)
  • 56-210mm f/4 (100g)
  • 80-300mm f/5.6 (150g)

Total weight for such dual camera setup is then little over 3kg (+ any extra batteries, chargers, computers etc you want)!

Fully weather sealed, great zoom ranges from 7mm to 300mm. Such setup lets you go through almost any situation.

For some special requirements, a 8mm f/1.8 and 300mm f/4 lenses can become handy, but mostly those are then left behind (be it a studio, vehicle or the camp) when not specifically required.

Photo Pete wrote:

I wanted to use Hi-Res as it would be more revealing of any optical defects in the MC-20.

If you can get good details out with HR mode, then there is no problems with normal mode, as the HR mode is resolving not just higher resolution but real colors as well.

Results could also probably be better if processing the raw.

Some would say that much better as you can process the HR raw file far more detailed than the JPEG is or what the normal raw has.

But really, that is just then pixel peeping as that TC is just amazing.

Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 17,326
Re: Olympus 75-300mm f4.8-6.7 II

Henry Richardson wrote:

With the 2x TC that would make the 40-150mm f2.8 an 80-300mm f5.6. Very similar to the Olympus 75-300mm f4.8-6.7 II. With all the great reports about the 75-300mm it would be interesting for there to be a comparison.

The 75-300mm is about half a stop faster at the short end and about half a stop slower at the long end.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Toni Genes
Toni Genes Regular Member • Posts: 143
Re: Olympus 75-300mm f4.8-6.7 II

Great test !

Thank you for sharing !

Toni Genes's gear list:Toni Genes's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads