Old vs. new

Started May 20, 2016 | Discussions
Ron Zamir Senior Member • Posts: 1,251
Old vs. new

My old trusty and wonderful E-1 goes very strong. Just got myself a brand new little and very capable OMD E-M10 camera.

Last weekend did some shooting with both.

In normal daylight condition the E-1 produces great results! In many cases I prefer the Kodak colors and look over the much newer Sony sensor!

In low light situations the new one is surely better.

See for yourself.

All your comments are more than welcome!

Ron Zamir's gear list:Ron Zamir's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Olympus E-1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
Olympus E-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
vrancea New Member • Posts: 7
Re: Old vs. new

Don't underestimate the old guts of E1...After an firmware update, you got a brand new camera!

http://blog.f64.ro/2016/05/04/olympus-om-d-e-m1-in-teste-dupa-un-update-de-firmware/

Simon Cowell Senior Member • Posts: 2,543

Very nice, thank you.

If you don't mind me asking, what color scheme did you use on the E-1 and what was the lens?

OP Ron Zamir Senior Member • Posts: 1,251

Simon Cowell wrote:

Very nice, thank you.

If you don't mind me asking, what color scheme did you use on the E-1 and what was the lens?

All images are RAW images being processed with Capture One 7 Express. The lens with the E-1 is the older version of the 14-54mm. f-2.8-3.5 lens.

Dave59
Dave59 Forum Member • Posts: 61

Hi,

Im new to the E-M10, only had it a week following on from an E410 and Stylus 1.

With all the variability of the OMD output, gradient, rgb, etc. could you taylor it to emulate the Kodak output.

I shoot LSF jpeg and then edit in PS and very little experience of RAW, are these adjustments applied only to jpeg generation ?

Dave59's gear list:Dave59's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro Tamron 14-150mm F/3.5-5.8 Di III +1 more

Dave59 wrote:

Hi,

Im new to the E-M10, only had it a week following on from an E410 and Stylus 1.

With all the variability of the OMD output, gradient, rgb, etc. could you taylor it to emulate the Kodak output.

I shoot LSF jpeg and then edit in PS and very little experience of RAW, are these adjustments applied only to jpeg generation ?

Do not really understand your question. All the setting you make for Jpeg in your camera do not apply to your RAW files. As the name hints, they are raw and being processed with a RAW converter. I prefer the Capture One over all the others.

Stew Volt Senior Member • Posts: 2,375

I've been working with the E-1 again and I'm sort of surprised at how far digital photography technology has NOT come. I think your photographs support this crazy notion? The E-1 set a high bar, at least for its sensor size, and I'm quite happy with the recent 16mp sensors, but as cameras go I'm not so sure much progress has been made at all

John Byrne Veteran Member • Posts: 7,174

That "OLD" E1 is still a great performer if the conditions are right to use low ISO settings  in good light, but it does fall short of some of the more recent developments from Olympus such as the OMD series of cameras that offer far greater versatility and the benefit of a decent sized screen by comparison and the ability to take stellar photos in low light situations.

I still have 2 E1'S an E 30 and an OMD EM1. The OMD I use 85% of the time because of the availability of better technology and its convenient weight.

John Byrne.

vrancea wrote:

Don't underestimate the old guts of E1...After an firmware update, you got a brand new camera!

http://blog.f64.ro/2016/05/04/olympus-om-d-e-m1-in-teste-dupa-un-update-de-firmware/

Firmware for the E-1?

mapgraphs
mapgraphs Senior Member • Posts: 1,374

The capabilities of the 4/3 cameras are as valid today as they were when released. What does change hopefully, is the skill needed to use them well. (New or old  ; - )

Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 20,703
IMO, want to make the E-1 even better?

As I've alluded to on several occasions over the past decade on this forum, awhile back, I started purchasing  various Leica-Vario zoom lenses (with IS) for Four Thirds.  I did this specifically in consideration of the older non-stabilized cameras, meaning the E-1, E-300, E-500, and E-330.  And now, I'm sooooo gratified that I did.   I have either the Leica-Vario 14-50 f3.8-5.6 OIS, or the Leica-Vario 14-50 f2.8-3.5 OIS, or the Leica-Vario 14-150 f3.5-5.6 OIS lenses on all of cameras mentione avoe.

So now what occurs is that by introducing IS into the mix, your old cameras seem to have a renewed vigor, allowing you to capture scenarios that heretofore were not available to you, unless of course, you used either a good monopod or tripod.  In addition, the Leica glass is sharp (great contrasts) and it really shows.  The E-1, despite it being ancient in almost every way, received a new lease on life with the addition of the Leica Vario lenses.

Since I only shoot RAW, when importing the files into either Lightroom or ACR (Photoshop CC), I initially interpolate the 5 MP files into larger files (approaching 10-12 MP's in size), and the differences are tremendous.

Here's an example (a photo I've posted in the past on this forum) showing the resolution capable using the E-1 and the Leica Vario 14-150 OIS lens.  Look at the detail in this photo.  If you didn't know what camera too this photo, you'd be hard pressed to comprehend that it came from only a 5 MP camera (click on "view original"):

Finally, when comparing the newest sensors, although the general overal color tonality appears similar, the Kodak sensors had a "warmer" look and feel to them, whereas the Sony sensors are a slightly cooler feel to them.  I actually thoroughly enjoyed the look of the images coming from the Panny sensor inside the E-330.

So for anyone reading this, if you have the means, carefully check out eBay and other outlets to find some Leica Vario lenses.  For the most part you won't be disappointed.  Yes, they can seem expensive, but you get what you pay for.  Luckily, I was blessed with having all superb copies.

Link to various Leica Vario lenses on eBay (just with one search string - try other search strings to bring up more):

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=Leica+D+Vario+14-50+f3.8-5.6+OIS+for+four+thirds&_osacat=625&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XLeica+D+Vario+14-50+OIS+for+four+thirds.TRS0&_nkw=Leica+D+Vario+14-50+OIS+for+four+thirds&_sacat=625

There are other places you can find them - just keep on searchin'

-- hide signature --

Semper Fidelis...
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EOS M Olympus OM-D E-M5 +19 more
Re: IMO, want to make the E-1 even better?

Since I only shoot RAW, when importing the files into either Lightroom or ACR (Photoshop CC), I initially interpolate the 5 MP files into larger files (approaching 10-12 MP's in size), and the differences are tremendous.

Thanks a lot Ben for the detailed reply!

Can you elaborate and explain how do you iterpulate the E-1 5 MP files into larger files?

vrancea New Member • Posts: 7

Ups! i made a huge misunderstanding...Your camera is E1, and I talk about another camera...OM-D E-M1...My apologies must be sent to you.

Ben Herrmann
OK - here's the deal on interpolation

It used to be (years back) that many interpolation scenarios resulted in less than quality enlargements.  However, things have changed quite-a-bite for the better now-a-days and you can interpolate (enlarge) lower resolution images quite effectively with stellar results.  What I've found is that with the E-1 files being just 2560 x 1920, I enlarge them to 3800 x 2850 (which correlates to approximately a 10.7 MP file.  The key is to interpolate the RAW file before you've done any adjustments to it (because some adjustments can add noise and you don't want to interpolate a finished image - because you can interpolate the noise also).

Using Photoshop CC - which is what I'm using - open up a RAW file and that will bring up the ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) window.  OK - so now you're staring at the RAW file.  Now centered on the very bottom of your ACR window you will see in very small lettering something along the lines of:  Adobe RGB (or sRGB) ; 8 Bit and then some resolution numbers.  Unless you've changed it in the past, the resolution will usually be the default resolution of the camera images your shooting with.

OK - now click on this lettering (it is highlighted), and then another smaller window will come up that says "workflow options" on the top.  Right below the color space section (I personally always use Adobe RGB because it has a wider color palette and because my monitor displays 100% of the Adobe RGB colorspace), you will see "Image Sizing."  Now place a check in that box and then look at your options in the drop down window to the right.

In that window choose "Long Side," and what I did for the E-1 files is to type in 3800 for my long side, and then it arbitrarily chooses the correct short side measurements.

The rest of the options on that small window are self explanatory.  Now hit "OK," and you're set to go.  What's important to note here is that if you are now working with another digital camera - let's say the E-M1, you must not forget to uncheck the Image Sizing section otherwise your E-M1 files will be resized down to that smaller resolution.  Just keep this mind.

So now, everytime you open an E-1 RAW file, you will have it correctly interpolated (enlarged) to a 10.7 MP image file - and that's before you make any further adjustments in ACR.  You can net some really wonderful files this way.

Here's a quick screen shot from my setup - look at the bottom of the ACR window and you can see those very, very small letters in the bottom center that you click on.

Make sure to click on "view original"

-- hide signature --

Semper Fidelis...
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA

Fujifilm X30 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EOS M Olympus OM-D E-M5 +19 more
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,578

My local store had Olympus Techs in today to clean Olympus cameras. So I brought my arsenal, including the C-2100UZ and E-1. When the tech got to the E-1, he mad a comment about now we are getting to the "old faithful". The other tech commented about the C-2100UZ, that they still get calls from people hoping there is a cache of parts for it (there isn't, at least at Olympus America) and/or to get it fixed.

Your shots reminded me, that I often shoot the E-1 around fall, because of the reds.

As I commented, with over 10,000 shots in my album from the C-2100UZ, and 8,000 from the E-1, it is unlikely that any camera will topple those two cameras, since I do upgrade every so often. While I don't often sell/give away cameras, they become less used. For example, I only had 8 keepers from the E-3 in 2015 and 5 in 2013 (none so far in 2016, and none in 2014). With the purchase of the E-M1, the E-5 will likely get used a lot less often also.

Sic transit gloria mundi I guess.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +20 more
Jon Schick Veteran Member • Posts: 4,501

Couldn't agree more.  Last November I took an E-M1 and E-1 to Glencoe; the E-M1 is in so many ways a much more capable camera but the colours that came out of the E-1 made for much more appealing results (again, from raw rather than JPEG).  It's also the nicest-handling camera I've ever owned.

Jon Schick's gear list:Jon Schick's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 II Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +16 more
Jon Schick Veteran Member • Posts: 4,501

That image looks great - is it at 150mm?  The E-1 is such a joy to use that I still love taking mine out as long as I know I won't need to either print huge or have an extensive consultation with Dr Crop-a-lot.

Cheers,

Jon

Jon Schick's gear list:Jon Schick's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 II Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +16 more
Ben Herrmann
150 MM on the Leica 14-150 it is!!!!

Not bad eh for such a long reach lens - that's why I recommend them so highly.

-- hide signature --

Semper Fidelis...
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA

Sir Nick of High Point New Member • Posts: 2

I got tired of editing 20MP RAW files, so I just picked up an E-1 for $60.  I agree, 99% of people don't need more than 5MP.

Sir Nick of High Point's gear list:Sir Nick of High Point's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads