Pixel shift K-1 sample on IR

Started May 4, 2016 | Discussions
Sinitar
Sinitar Regular Member • Posts: 136
Pixel shift K-1 sample on IR

For pixel-peepers, the IR website has what is said in the title, DNGs and JPGs.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-k1/pentax-k1THMB.HTM

Sinitar's gear list:Sinitar's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 Pentax FA 15-30mm F2.8 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill +8 more
Pentax K-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DavidWright2010 Senior Member • Posts: 1,959
Re: Pixel shift K-1 sample on IR

So which ones show pixel-shift?

David

DavidWright2010's gear list:DavidWright2010's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD1 Merrill Pentax K-70 +1 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,857

Sinitar wrote:

For pixel-peepers, the IR website has what is said in the title, DNGs and JPGs.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-k1/pentax-k1THMB.HTM

Thanks
In my opinion the pixel shift version looks fantastic. Super clean, natural and sharp.
This quality in one shot and i would be happy for the rest of my photography days 

DavidWright2010 wrote:

So which ones show pixel-shift?

David

The sharp one
"K1hSLI000100_PSR.JPG"

Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 14,410

O.K., now I am REALLY surprised at this. Check it out:

Pentax K1 with no pixel shift sample jpeg image courtesy Imaging-Resource

Here is the pixel-shift sample:

Pentax K1 piexel shift image sample jpeg from Imaging-Resource

And here is the Quattro image exported at S-Hi resolution from their raw file:

Sigma DP2 Quattro with some sharpening, exported as S-Hi.

To me this shows that the Quattro produces a better quality image than the new K1, except for noise, and the H is going to be far superior, especially when using the high quality mode, which will eliminate noise. What do YOU think?

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma sd Quattro H Nikon D810 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +21 more
bizi clop
bizi clop Regular Member • Posts: 363

The K-1 is badass.

bizi clop's gear list:bizi clop's gear list
Canon PowerShot G2 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sigma DP2 Merrill
MOD Kendall Helmstetter Gelner Forum Pro • Posts: 20,586
I Agree

Look at the red cloth in the top corner especially.  Seems you can't just pixel-shift away the Bayer Blur, which it should have done...

I also find it REALLY funny that people would like the K1 results which plainly do not have nearly as much texture going on.  The back wall, the cardboard in the crayon box, all over you can see that Pixel Shift is not enough to bring out fine texture the way the Quattro can - which in theory was not as good as the Merrill!  How many people complaining about the loss of microcontrast from Merrill to Quattro are now saying they really like the K1...

To me the whole pixel-shift thing seems like a bit of a non-starter because (a) we can see the quality is still not on par with a Foveon direct sensor, and (b) the subject matter for which it can be used is inherently limited to really still subjects.

I honestly do not see how many cameras this can really sell when you can get some flavor of Quattro and get the same effect with better results and fewer restrictions.

Also wondering if you can use these PSR pixel-shifted images in Lightroom or the like... the format and data would seem to be fairly different from most cameras.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 1.4x EX DG Tele Converter Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +4 more
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 14,410

I think it is bad-ass, but I also think it's telling that the 19.6 MP photos from the DP2 Quattro look so good next to the photos shot in pixel-shift mode with that 36 MP camera (the Pentax K1). I think that the 25 MP photos from the SD Quattro H will be slightly better, though slightly noisier, and they're that quality on every shot. When shooting with the high-quality mode, I think the photos from the SD Quattro H will probably be superior in every way (probably even in dynamic range too).

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma sd Quattro H Nikon D810 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +21 more
Re: I Agree

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

I also find it REALLY funny that people would like the K1 results which plainly do not have nearly as much texture going on. The back wall, the cardboard in the crayon box, all over you can see that Pixel Shift is not enough to bring out fine texture the way the Quattro can - which in theory was not as good as the Merrill! How many people complaining about the loss of microcontrast from Merrill to Quattro are now saying they really like the K1...

In my opinion, there is such a big difference, that i'm not even willing to add crops to make my point.
The "super-high" and sharpened Quattro version is just a noisy, over sharpened, aliased mess that hurts my eyes, while the K1 is super clean.
If you now take this super clean DNG and add tonal contrast and sharpening to your taste, then you get enough texture, enough resolution and still a far cleaner result.
Since the release of Kalpanika we all know how much contrast-processing SPP "adds" to the X3F-files, so it's fair enough to push those K1 images also a bit.
Yes, the Merrill has some magic texture that is unique, but Merrill is the past and we will not see a real successor anytime soon.
And of course there is the 14.7MP vs. 36MP difference.
But anyway: As much as i like the pixel shifted result, since it needs 4 shots it is completely uninteresting for me.

D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 25,210

This is all marking time until 200 Megapixel sensors become routine.

swartzfeger
swartzfeger Regular Member • Posts: 320

I'm a big Foveon fan. My search for non-bayer solutions led me to the DP2Q (which I eventually sold in anticipation of the H), which in turn led me to the K-1 (should arrive soon, pre-ordered last month).

My take --

in the pinwheel of fabric samples there's no comparison in the red swatches (located at 2 o'clock). The K-1 clearly has more detail, whether it's the PSR version or non-pixel shift. The Quattro simply loses details. And in the one red swatch, the Quattro definitely leans more orange. Whether at 50% or 300%, it's obvious Sigma needs to improve this

This is the one thing that kept biting me during my time with the sigma, details in the reds. I like doing iconography and art reproduction, and in many skin tones in paintings, the Quattro just never got close compared to my old D750. Everything else of course, the Quattro was simply stunning (I eventually sold the D750 and kept the Quattro while I waited for the K-1).

Also in the peppercorns... no comparison. Pentax clearly resolves more details.

This fall/winter can't come soon enough, as I'm really looking forward to the H and a full lineup of Art lenses. Until then, I think the K-1 will keep me busy.

Overall, I think the K-1 and the H will make a good combo!

swartzfeger's gear list:swartzfeger's gear list
Pentax K-1 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 +1 more
swartzfeger

OTOH, check out the 645Z file -- the DP2Q holds its own against a 50mp MFD... a camera that costs 10x more.

Pentax K-1 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 +1 more
Gate bois Senior Member • Posts: 1,490

Scottelly wrote:

To me this shows that the Quattro produces a better quality image than the new K1, except for noise, and the H is going to be far superior, especially when using the high quality mode, which will eliminate noise. What do YOU think?

Rendering quattro really is not pretty.
It is possible to get a much better result with a higher quality K1.

But this photo was made at the exit of quattro.

With the latest updates to the quattro the result would be even better.
In different test that I realized 45Mpix,
I notice differences with the photos of the early quattro and those carried out with the latest updates (updates first half of 2015, I have not had the opportunity to esais with latest updates day). No artifacts (hallo), outline and detail more precise, and no noise, or really can (in the pictures with which I did my tests).

The quattro offers a picture quality better than 36Mpix, 42Mpix or even, especially in the rendering of foliage, very detailed.

But the K1 pixels shift mode is ultrat accurate, and will probably remain supperior to quattro, even with the latest updates of quattro.

But I think the quattro H will probably supperior.

Gate bois wrote:

Scottelly wrote:

I notice differences with the photos of the early quattro and those carried out with the latest updates (updates first half of 2015, I have not had the opportunity to esais with latest updates day). No artifacts (hallo), outline and detail more precise, and no noise, or really can (in the pictures with which I did my tests).

The quattro offers a picture quality better than 36Mpix, 42Mpix or even, especially in the rendering of foliage, very detailed.

But the K1 pixels shift mode is ultrat accurate, and will probably remain supperior to quattro, even with the latest updates of quattro.

The AVENTAGE quattro against a Bayer sensor, even at 36 even 45 Mpix, is that it allows more opportunities in micro detail work, micro contrasts and sharpening, the fact that there was no artifacts, and its ability to reproduce details of a pixel.

And it restores more color shades.

Gate bois wrote:

Scottelly wrote:

But the K1 pixels shift mode is highly accurate, and will probably remain supperior to quattro, even with the latest updates of quattro.
Except red tissue that is worse than the quattro.

Gate bois wrote:

Good job with the image Gate. You're keeping the details and clean out the image from noise.
There are some noise reduction issues in the parts of the image with less details (between the bottles, at out of focus areas, and at the wall...)
Even with your special skills in Quattro processing, the K1 is clearly superior.
Yes, maybe with the latest firmware/SPP you get better results, but don't forget, that also the K1 image (DNG) would benefit from careful processing. Until know we just see a JPG from imaging resource, and it is superior.

TN Args
TN Args Veteran Member • Posts: 9,000
PSR in LR

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

Also wondering if you can use these PSR pixel-shifted images in Lightroom or the like... the format and data would seem to be fairly different from most cameras.

LR produced a specific profile to use the special pixel-shifted raw files from my Olympus E-M5II. It is quite a seamless process and you handle it like any other raw file. I expect they will do the same for the Pentax PSR.

-- hide signature --

Arg

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +7 more
TN Args
TN Args Veteran Member • Posts: 9,000

maceoQ wrote:

Good job with the image Gate. You're keeping the details and clean out the image from noise.
There are some noise reduction issues in the parts of the image with less details (between the bottles, at out of focus areas, and at the wall...)
Even with your special skills in Quattro processing, the K1 is clearly superior.
Yes, maybe with the latest firmware/SPP you get better results, but don't forget, that also the K1 image (DNG) would benefit from careful processing. Until know we just see a JPG from imaging resource, and it is superior.

Bear in mind the pixel shift mode is only for rock-steady subjects and steadied camera, and as such, its most appropriate comparison should be with the new multi-shot HDR mode in the upcoming SD Quattros.

-- hide signature --

Arg

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +7 more
marcodadofoto
marcodadofoto Senior Member • Posts: 2,863

Yes the point is: PIXEL SHIFT ONLY FOR COMPLETELY STILL SUBJECTS.

Usable with landscape with foliage moved by the wind?

Usable with long exposure, moving clouds?

Street photo s?

How much it is usable?

One thing anyway I d like, that Sigma could hurry up things a little.  Don t like announcements followed by nothing for a long time.

swartzfeger

Gate bois wrote:

But the K1 pixels shift mode is highly accurate, and will probably remain supperior to quattro, even with the latest updates of quattro.
Except red tissue that is worse than the quattro.

I thought the same thing about the floral pattern on the red fabric, but when I opened up the K-1 DNG it was much, MUCH better than the Quattro. In fact, after looking at the K-1 PSR DNG, it compared very favorably to the Pentax 645Z.

The PSR DNG opened in Photoshop CC with no issues.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads