(venting alert) Liking the X-Pro2's focus speed and control joystick, but... Locked

Started Apr 12, 2016 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
The Photo Ninja Senior Member • Posts: 2,242
(venting alert) Liking the X-Pro2's focus speed and control joystick, but...

The viewfinder sucks. I find the optical viewfinder useless and the EVF sucks. It's too small, too cool in color temperature, the auto brightness sucks.

The ISO dial is stupid.

The JPEGs are OK, but I've been playing more with raw, and I think that using RAW really brings out the image quality. I cannot say I remember this being the case with the X-T1.

Fixed screen - annoying.

I'm missing the ISO dial, articulating screen, EVF, and JPEG engine of the X-T1. Anyone else feel this way?

As soon as the X-T2 comes out, I think I'll be first in line to buy it and sell the X-Pro2 at a loss.

Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,786
Re: (venting alert) Liking the X-Pro2's focus speed and control joystick, but...

The Photo Ninja wrote:

The viewfinder sucks. I find the optical viewfinder useless and the EVF sucks. It's too small, too cool in color temperature, the auto brightness sucks.

The ISO dial is stupid.

The JPEGs are OK, but I've been playing more with raw, and I think that using RAW really brings out the image quality. I cannot say I remember this being the case with the X-T1.

Fixed screen - annoying.

I'm missing the ISO dial, articulating screen, EVF, and JPEG engine of the X-T1. Anyone else feel this way?

As soon as the X-T2 comes out, I think I'll be first in line to buy it and sell the X-Pro2 at a loss.

I haven't touched my X-T1 since I got the X-Pro2.  Sorry to hear you couldn't warm up to the X-Pro2.  I have to wonder if you did research prior to purchasing the camera.

-- hide signature --

Tim

Threaded Senior Member • Posts: 3,174
Re: (venting alert) Liking the X-Pro2's focus speed and control joystick, but...

I don't really understand how people can be paying this massive premium right now to be first in line for the X-Pro2, and then complaining about the very nature of the biggest stand out feature of that camera - the viewfinder.

Its a Fuji hybrid finder; that's what you've paid all the money for. It's had tweaks but at heart it's the same design that featured on the X-Pro1, X100T, X100S, and the original X100 back in 2011. There's a enormous wealth of information out there on how these finders work, what they're good for, not so good for, what compromises they involve, etc etc. If you bought an X-Pro2 expecting the finder to be anything like your XT1 then I'm sorry but you have no reason to "vent" and Fuji have done you no wrong, you've simply made a mistake.

Also, XT1 jpegs (like those of other X-Trans II cameras) suck.  My subjective opinion but not one I'm alone in.  I'm encouraged if you think the X-Pro2's are different..

Threaded's gear list:Threaded's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +2 more
HelmutS Senior Member • Posts: 1,180

Basically you bought a camera which you wanted to be an XT-2 but you knew it wasn't, and now you are frustrated.

More a review on your personality than on the gear quality.

http://www.shotbyme.at

HelmutS's gear list:HelmutS's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +1 more
Paul JM Contributing Member • Posts: 606

Good lord. I knew there was a reason why I dont come to these forums much any more. Why on earth did you buy it if you find these very obvious and well advertised limitations to be too much for you ? If you do find it worthless and end up selling it for a loss, let me know. Would like to have a second XP2 body.

Paul JM's gear list:Paul JM's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus TG-5 Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm X-Pro2 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +15 more
ljclark
ljclark Senior Member • Posts: 2,417
Move Along Folks ... Nothing to See Here.

Problems?

• Fujifilm finally got the ISO control right.
  • Noticeable improvements in the viewfinder (over my X-Pro1).
  • A sensor in the same class as the ones in my D7200s.
  • No problems with the JPEGs (problems too often turn out to be personal PP "choices").

Basically ... No surprises for anyone who did their homework and kept an eye Fujifilm product development; and enough evolutionary improvements to make the shooting experience all the better.

ljclark's gear list:ljclark's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Panasonic LX100 +26 more
leighton w
leighton w Senior Member • Posts: 2,061

The Photo Ninja wrote:

The ISO dial is stupid.

Fixed screen - annoying.

MAN...you sound like an angry old white guy. LOL

AB8ND
AB8ND Regular Member • Posts: 170

The Photo Ninja wrote:

The ISO dial is stupid.

Fixed screen - annoying.

The question is: why did you buy the X-Pro2 ?

This sucks, that's bad, this is annoying and what ever else you don't like, didn't you play with it first?

-- hide signature --

Jack

AB8ND's gear list:AB8ND's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
Advent1sam
Advent1sam Veteran Member • Posts: 9,077

The Photo Ninja wrote:

Did you turn the brightness up to +3/4?

The ISO dial is stupid.

Probably, have resorted to auto iso anyway as any iso is fantastic on this camera.

Raw all the way.

Fixed screen - annoying.

Actually, have you thought of using a smartphone for live view for awkward situations?

Nope

And...........

DarnGoodPhotos Veteran Member • Posts: 9,859

The Photo Ninja wrote:

If you don;t like the OVF, you bought the wrong camera.

I haven't used the X-Pro, but I found the locking ISO dial on my old X-T1 to be annoying. I also found it's JPG engine's noise reduction inferior at high ISOs, something the Pro2 doesn't suffer from. My Pro1 is superior in this regard.

You were never going to get the X-T1's big EVF without a hump so it sounds like the XT2 is what you want.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +4 more
Walie Contributing Member • Posts: 622
Re: Move Along Folks ... Nothing to See Here.

yep, sounds like a troll to me

Walie's gear list:Walie's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
John Gellings
John Gellings Veteran Member • Posts: 6,496

The Photo Ninja wrote:

The ISO dial is stupid.

Fixed screen - annoying.

No, I don't feel that way at all... but I have to ask... why did you buy?

John Gellings's gear list:John Gellings's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 +7 more
iRanN
iRanN Contributing Member • Posts: 524

The Photo Ninja wrote:

The ISO dial is stupid.

Fixed screen - annoying.

I forgot I had a T1 for almost a year, yes I noticed the smaller viewfinder and the lack of tilt screen but everything else is better, even in economy mode the camera is faster. Also I tried the OVF and it works even with the 50-140!!!

iRanN's gear list:iRanN's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +2 more
Joachim Gerstl
Joachim Gerstl Veteran Member • Posts: 8,457

Walie wrote:

No troll but not very smart either.

You don't need to be a genius to find out that the camera has no tilt screen, that the ISO dial is different and that the EVF is smaller than on the X-T1 even BEFORE you buy the camera.

-- hide signature --

regards
Joachim

Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +7 more
helmus
helmus Contributing Member • Posts: 660

Walie wrote:

It's a GAS Nerd, in my opinion...

-- hide signature --

Helmut

helmus's gear list:helmus's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T20 Carl Zeiss C Sonnar T* 1,5/50 ZM Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +16 more
afidmo New Member • Posts: 10

The Photo Ninja wrote:

The ISO dial is stupid.

Fixed screen - annoying.

Hi, Photo Ninja if you are thinking of selling your X-PRO2 I'm here to buy it. Peace out.

afidmo's gear list:afidmo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X100T
OP The Photo Ninja Senior Member • Posts: 2,242
As soon as a I have an X-T2 in my hands... sure.

I love the personal attacks. You people crack me up.

Why did I get it? Easy. It's available, I can use all of my Fuji lenses, and the focus speed lets me get better shots than the X-T1 since that camera had a delay. Plus, it does have better resolution.

Regarding RAW, yup. I'm post processing. Velvia out of camera looks great, black and white too, but I don't shoot that often.

Let the personal attacks continue...

sw001 New Member • Posts: 7
Cool EVF...

The Photo Ninja wrote:

I don't like the coolness of the EVF either, and find it jarring flipping between the OVF (which I love) and EVF.

Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 15,813
Piling on session here

It's gratifying to see that almost everyone responding to this thread never makes bad decisions or has regrets about a purchase.  Seems like this has rapidly degenerated to a piling on session with a lot of unnecessary personal attacks.

GAS is a powerful motivator and the excitement that surrounds the launch of a new and highly anticipated camera can be pretty contagious.  What's more, some of the enhancements in the XP2 (new sensor, joystick, fantastic reports on IQ... etc.) are all things that many of us in X-T1 land would really envy and desire.  So I totally "get" why the OP might have felt compelled to pick up an X-Pro2, even with the possibility of an X-T2 not too far off.  Renting might have been a better approach, but that may not have seemed that feasible given strong initial demand, and there is good old GAS as an additional motivator.

At least in my case, being retired has now forced me to think through my equipment purchases a lot more, but I have to admit to having been totally sucked into the excitement of new camera introductions years ago and riding the DSLR upgrade curve for quite some time (Canon 10D  ->20D -> 30D -> 40D -> (finally got some sanity and skipped the 50D) -> 7D.  Held on to that for 4 years (unbelievable), then moved lock, stock and barrel to Fuji.

I happen to agree with the OP's concerns and his concerns among others are what would keep me from even considering an X-Pro2, regardless of all the cool upgrades.  But in my GAS-a-holic days, I'd have to admit that I'd be awfully tempted by the new features.  I think it might be wise to spend a minute in someone else's shoes before passing judgment.

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
OP The Photo Ninja Senior Member • Posts: 2,242
Selling it after a few months of usage - and who knows when the X-T2 will be a reality...

is much cheaper than renting it for the same amount of time.

I'm using it, it's not like I'm not. I can still wish it had other bells and whistles and dislike parts.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads