Strange issue with first K1 to arrive in Greece

Started Apr 2, 2016 | Discussions
tassosDA Regular Member • Posts: 350
Strange issue with first K1 to arrive in Greece

So yesterday I went to the local Ricoh representative here in Greece in order to check out the new 70-200 DFA lens and to compare it with my trusty Sigma 70-200 on my K5II. To my big surprise he had available a  K1 with a 77 ltd lens and of course he offered me the camera to play around a  little bit. Then when I mounted my Sigma on the K1, something strange happened: The camera totally froze!! It blacked out! You couldn't even turn it off!! The sales person took out the battery and put it back in again and still nothing! Only after changing back the lenses, the camera returned to normal (Thank God)!! The explanation the sales person gave me, is that the pre release firmware is to blame, witch makes sense. This issue will be solved (I hope) with firmware version 1.0... Other than that, the K1 is...absolutely fantastic!!! Totally a different beast than the APS C boddies. After holding it in your hands, it will make the decision NOT to upgrade to FF, very very difficult for all of us...

tassosDA's gear list:tassosDA's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +4 more
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Valeriu 64
Valeriu 64 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,258
Re: Strange issue with first K1 to arrive in Greece

Tassos , calispera.

Σας ευχαριστώ για τις πληροφορίες.

Καταλαβαίνω ότι δεν περιμένετε να αγοράσετε K-1.

Και εγώ επίσης.

Χριστός Ανέστη!

Regards, Valeriu

Valeriu 64's gear list:Valeriu 64's gear list
Pentax K-3 II Pentax K-1 II Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +5 more
Tan68
Tan68 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,778

Well, it is a good thing the new Pentax FF zooms are not based on Sigma design.

Tan68's gear list:Tan68's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro +1 more
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 39,346

tassosDA wrote:

So yesterday I went to the local Ricoh representative here in Greece in order to check out the new 70-200 DFA lens and to compare it with my trusty Sigma 70-200 on my K5II. To my big surprise he had available a K1 with a 77 ltd lens and of course he offered me the camera to play around a little bit. Then when I mounted my Sigma on the K1, something strange happened: The camera totally froze!! It blacked out! You couldn't even turn it off!! The sales person took out the battery and put it back in again and still nothing! Only after changing back the lenses, the camera returned to normal (Thank God)!! The explanation the sales person gave me, is that the pre release firmware is to blame, witch makes sense. This issue will be solved (I hope) with firmware version 1.0... Other than that, the K1 is...absolutely fantastic!!! Totally a different beast than the APS C boddies. After holding it in your hands, it will make the decision NOT to upgrade to FF, very very difficult for all of us...

Sounds pretty common for early firmware... i just realized i didn't try a 3rd party AF lens on the camera

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 7,093

tassosDA wrote:

So yesterday I went to the local Ricoh representative here in Greece in order to check out the new 70-200 DFA lens and to compare it with my trusty Sigma 70-200 on my K5II. To my big surprise he had available a K1 with a 77 ltd lens and of course he offered me the camera to play around a little bit. Then when I mounted my Sigma on the K1, something strange happened: The camera totally froze!! It blacked out! You couldn't even turn it off!! The sales person took out the battery and put it back in again and still nothing! Only after changing back the lenses, the camera returned to normal (Thank God)!! The explanation the sales person gave me, is that the pre release firmware is to blame, witch makes sense. This issue will be solved (I hope) with firmware version 1.0... Other than that, the K1 is...absolutely fantastic!!! Totally a different beast than the APS C boddies. After holding it in your hands, it will make the decision NOT to upgrade to FF, very very difficult for all of us...

I'm anxiously waiting for mine, i pre-ordered from Galaios.

Too bad i won't be able to "taste the preview", as i live in Corfu...

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece
N.B. All my images are protected by Copyright

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +6 more
OP tassosDA Regular Member • Posts: 350

miles green wrote:

tassosDA wrote:

I'm anxiously waiting for mine, i pre-ordered from Galaios.

Too bad i won't be able to "taste the preview", as i live in Corfu...

Well if you are interested Miles, the official presentation will be held in Athens, April the 13th...

Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +4 more
rmalbers Regular Member • Posts: 373

Can you give me the store name and exact address in Athens, I'm going to be there next week!

rmalbers wrote:

Can you give me the store name and exact address in Athens, I'm going to be there next week!

It's the official representative of Ricoh in Greece: eGalaxy, 127 Alimou avenue, Argirupolis. Argirupolis is a suburp in the southeast of Athens, about 9km from city center.

KentG Veteran Member • Posts: 4,586

That sounds exactly like what happens when a camera maker brings out a new model and changes the firmware code forcing Sigma to reverse engineer the new codes. The only fix will be a firmware update for the lens from Sigma. If your lens is USB Dock compatible you will be able to update the lens yourself. But any older Sigma DG series lenses will have to go back to Sigma. If its a pre-DG EX lens you are out of luck as Sigma no longer supports firmware updates for those older lenses.

If you want to know the why of this I can give you the history.

Kent Gittings

KentG's gear list:KentG's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-S1 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc D-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro Pentax FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 +3 more
Joseph Tainter Forum Pro • Posts: 10,833

KentG wrote:

That sounds exactly like what happens when a camera maker brings out a new model and changes the firmware code forcing Sigma to reverse engineer the new codes. The only fix will be a firmware update for the lens from Sigma. If your lens is USB Dock compatible you will be able to update the lens yourself. But any older Sigma DG series lenses will have to go back to Sigma. If its a pre-DG EX lens you are out of luck as Sigma no longer supports firmware updates for those older lenses.

Kent Gittings

I can guess why Pentax does this, but would like to hear what you know, Kent.

I recall a few years ago people with Sigma flash units needed to send them in for a chip replacement when Pentax brought out new DSLR models.

Joe

KentG wrote:

Kent Gittings

Wait a minute... I thought that this is a camera firmware issue that can be fixed by an update. My lens is a DG EX version and has no USB dock. Why would Pentax do something so inconvenient and force all of us who have older lenses to send them to Sigma for new codes?? That isn't very customer friendly policy, right?

tassosDA wrote:

KentG wrote:

Kent Gittings

Wait a minute... I thought that this is a camera firmware issue that can be fixed by an update. My lens is a DG EX version and has no USB dock. Why would Pentax do something so inconvenient and force all of us who have older lenses to send them to Sigma for new codes?? That isn't very customer friendly policy, right?

Sigma is a competitor not a partner, Pentax has no obligation to keep Sigma in the loop, if Pentax changed something then Sigma must reverse engineer it, make a fix for it and make changes to the lens you bought from them when you send it in. However i doubt your problem has anything to do with a change, rather just a glitchy pre-production firmware

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Leandros S Senior Member • Posts: 2,102
DG or HSM?

KentG wrote:

Don't you mean HSM? Shouldn't screwdrive DG lenses "just work" with a bit of tape covering some contacts, at worst?

-- hide signature --

There's no bad bokeh, just background that's too close.

awaldram
awaldram Forum Pro • Posts: 13,264

Joseph Tainter wrote:

KentG wrote:

Kent Gittings

I can guess why Pentax does this, but would like to hear what you know, Kent.

Its not 'Pentax does this'

there is a specification for every interface providing the two unit meet that specification they work together.

Sigma and Tamron do not ask (and woudl never get anyway) Oems for the specification but make one of there own up that work s with what available when developed.

So when the Oem produces a slight change (within specification) to allow additional functionality or performance the 3rd party product break.

I recall a few years ago people with Sigma flash units needed to send them in for a chip replacement when Pentax brought out new DSLR models.

Yes Pentax modified some of the levels on the hot shoe to allow GPS data to be used fro the add on gps unit.

No pentax flashes were effected as the Pentax hot-shoe requirements were still met, But Sigma 'made up' design was broken.

The question you need to ask is why do 3rd parties do this .?

The answer is so they do not have to pay royalties to OEM for the OEM's R&D effort.

Joe

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-PM2 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3 +17 more
Class A
Class A Regular Member • Posts: 205

KentG wrote:

Please do.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Class A's gear list:Class A's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +2 more
John_A_G Veteran Member • Posts: 7,829
welcome to the game

Yes to what Mike and Andrew are saying.  This has been a problem for years for Canon and Sigma.  OEMs don't want you buying Sigma lenses.  So, they certainly don't want to share all their protocols.

Sigma reverse engineers a design based upon an existing product.  Sometimes a new camera comes out and that breaks the old third party lens.

It's why Sigma started the whole "dock" scenario for their new expensive lenses.

As Pentax makes their focus system more complicated, the risk for this type of thing goes up.

It is an inherent risk you take buying a third party lens/flash.

2 of my Sigma lenses didn't crash the camera

One of them older early 2000s and the other more newer a few years old.

John_A_G wrote:

Yes to what Mike and Andrew are saying. This has been a problem for years for Canon and Sigma. OEMs don't want you buying Sigma lenses. So, they certainly don't want to share all their protocols.

Sigma reverse engineers a design based upon an existing product. Sometimes a new camera comes out and that breaks the old third party lens.

It's why Sigma started the whole "dock" scenario for their new expensive lenses.

As Pentax makes their focus system more complicated, the risk for this type of thing goes up.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

Ian Stuart Forsyth
Ian Stuart Forsyth Veteran Member • Posts: 3,549
Re: 2 of my Sigma lenses didn't crash the camera

MightyMike wrote:

Any problem using LV focus with the older hsm sigma lenses?

John_A_G wrote:

Yes to what Mike and Andrew are saying. This has been a problem for years for Canon and Sigma. OEMs don't want you buying Sigma lenses. So, they certainly don't want to share all their protocols.

Sigma reverse engineers a design based upon an existing product. Sometimes a new camera comes out and that breaks the old third party lens.

As Pentax makes their focus system more complicated, the risk for this type of thing goes up.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release

Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list:Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list
Nikon PC-E Nikkor 45mm f/2.8D ED Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 +24 more
Re: 2 of my Sigma lenses didn't crash the camera

Ian Stuart Forsyth wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

Any problem using LV focus with the older hsm sigma lenses?

I only have 1 lens that fits that issue, the Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG (version 1) and well its fubar on the K-1, slows the camera down significantly and locks it up. it however is working on the K-3 except for LV AF

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

tjk123 New Member • Posts: 5

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Mine went to Sigma in January as it didn't work on K3. It came back 3 months later with a note saying it can not be upgraded.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads