A6300 4K recording results

Started Mar 26, 2016 | Discussions
pepperman Junior Member • Posts: 41
A6300 4K recording results

I had posted a few results concerning when the "temp" icon appeared using different cards/batteries/settings... I had decided to try one unusual test by recording in 4K with the

battery door OPEN... VOILA!!!!! NO OVERHEATING! It had reached the 29'50" several times without that dreaded icon appearing...   Now when I re-engineer the door, I will send Sony a request for compensation   

Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
QVee Contributing Member • Posts: 556
Re: A6300 4K recording results

How about that? better lucky than good I'd say

Good detective work Pepperman

-- hide signature --

QVee

QVee's gear list:QVee's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Lytro Light Field 8GB Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Olympus PEN E-P3 +12 more
missingendpoint Contributing Member • Posts: 699

pepperman wrote:

I had posted a few results concerning when the "temp" icon appeared using different cards/batteries/settings... I had decided to try one unusual test by recording in 4K with the

battery door OPEN... VOILA!!!!! NO OVERHEATING! It had reached the 29'50" several times without that dreaded icon appearing... Now when I re-engineer the door, I will send Sony a request for compensation

So, given that the a6300 can run off external usb power, seems all it would take to enable no-overheat 4k continuous recording is a cheap external power pack.  Probably avoid frequent battery swaps as well.

OP pepperman Junior Member • Posts: 41

When I was testing, I had observed that the center bottom and the battery side were the warmest, so why not try with the door opened?  I own an ARIIM2 and the RX10M2, and noticed the battery door on the inside both are plastic, whereas the 6300 is metal. I haven't had any problems with overheating with those, {esp. the A7R2 after the update}. I'm not sure that might be the cause, but all I know is that the "door open" method works. Besides, I really like the improvements over the 6000.

QuangFoto
QuangFoto Regular Member • Posts: 342

That reminds me of my high school friend who used to turn on the heat in his car in the summer with the windows down to prevent the car from overheating.

Check out this mod: https://vimeo.com/42440790

QuangFoto's gear list:QuangFoto's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV Nikon D60 +19 more
Contra Mundum Senior Member • Posts: 1,122

pepperman wrote:

battery door OPEN... VOILA!!!!! NO OVERHEATING! It had reached the 29'50" several times without that dreaded icon appearing... Now when I re-engineer the door, I will send Sony a request for compensation

How about drilling a few holes in the door then? Would you try that?

odobo Contributing Member • Posts: 692

Contra Mundum wrote:

Instead of drilling holes, I suggest to add some thermal conductive sheet to the bottom of the battery and see if that can help transfer the heat to the whole body easier.... The body is a large piece of metal anyway

odobo's gear list:odobo's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 NEX5R Sony a6300 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
ghengii Regular Member • Posts: 195

do you really need the door ?, I seem to remember Gary Friedman saying he has taken the battery door off his a6000 to enable quicker changing of batteries, however I never thought it such a big deal to flip a cover, but this seems to be an altogether more useful reason for doing it, especially if you have the Gariz half case which raise the bottom of the camera slightly from the case therefore the bottom of the camera is never in contact with surface it is sitting on

teddoman
teddoman Senior Member • Posts: 2,570

odobo wrote:

Contra Mundum wrote:

Instead of drilling holes, I suggest to add some thermal conductive sheet to the bottom of the battery and see if that can help transfer the heat to the whole body easier.... The body is a large piece of metal anyway

maybe someone should jerry rig a contraption involving a small laptop fan, a wrist watch battery, and a 3D printed insert that fits the battery door.

-- hide signature --

Ted
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tedchang/
C&C is encouraged, I'm always learning

teddoman's gear list:teddoman's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +3 more
T. L. Rutter Senior Member • Posts: 2,494
Kickstarter for a6300 Screen Door

who is with me?

T. L. Rutter's gear list:T. L. Rutter's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a6500 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +2 more
odobo Contributing Member • Posts: 692

ghengii wrote:

do you really need the door ?, I seem to remember Gary Friedman saying he has taken the battery door off his a6000 to enable quicker changing of batteries, however I never thought it such a big deal to flip a cover, but this seems to be an altogether more useful reason for doing it, especially if you have the Gariz half case which raise the bottom of the camera slightly from the case therefore the bottom of the camera is never in contact with surface it is sitting on

Well...the a6300 is weather sealed and the a6000 is not. So if you remove the door you can't claim it is weather seal anymore....

odobo's gear list:odobo's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 NEX5R Sony a6300 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
GhostriderZ85 New Member • Posts: 19

I highly doubt that just merely opening the battery door makes such a huge difference, it doesn't make any sense to me. I'm not saying that you are lying but maybe there are other factors that came into play, like anbient temps?

T. L. Rutter Senior Member • Posts: 2,494

GhostriderZ85 wrote:

I highly doubt that just merely opening the battery door makes such a huge difference, it doesn't make any sense to me. I'm not saying that you are lying but maybe there are other factors that came into play, like anbient temps?

The overheating doesn't make sense to me. ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my opinion, I feel that the sensor that detects the heat to shut down the camera in order to not do damage may be either located in the wrong place or the levels set too low causing it to trip. I would like a detailed article from Sony regarding what it is that they are truly protecting from the camera getting hot... is it the sensor, is it the electronics.. is it the battery... is it the image or video quality that might suffer? What is it that will be damaged and truly at what temperature? I don't care to hear from this forum a lecture on guesses or theories. I can already create my own story!

Based on this thread, I am now reconsidering getting the a6300 if indeed the answer to this nonsense is opening the battery door. Or, I might just wait until the next model comes out and hope that they have this issue resolved. The camera is creating beautiful images and video so it is hard to turn my back on that and truly intending that whether it makes sense or not, that the problem is resolved via the battery door.  FYI - This makes much more sense than for people feeling guilty and blaming themselves for not stepping outdoors in the cold weather with their cameras for a few minutes before doing a photo shoot indoors rather than facing reality that this should not be acceptable.

T. L. Rutter's gear list:T. L. Rutter's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a6500 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +2 more
BlueBomberTurbo Senior Member • Posts: 1,492

I ordered a grip for my A6300, so we'll see if it works as well on overheating as the A7 series.  Judging from this test, it should, since it completely removes the battery from the camera.

BlueBomberTurbo's gear list:BlueBomberTurbo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Sony a6300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +19 more
QuangFoto

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

I ordered a grip for my A6300, so we'll see if it works as well on overheating as the A7 series. Judging from this test, it should, since it completely removes the battery from the camera.

I hope it will eliminate the overheating problem.  Please keep us posted.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV Nikon D60 +19 more
gskolenda
gskolenda Senior Member • Posts: 1,182

T. L. Rutter wrote:

GhostriderZ85 wrote:

The overheating doesn't make sense to me. ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my opinion, I feel that the sensor that detects the heat to shut down the camera in order to not do damage may be either located in the wrong place or the levels set too low causing it to trip. I would like a detailed article from Sony regarding what it is that they are truly protecting from the camera getting hot... is it the sensor, is it the electronics.. is it the battery... is it the image or video quality that might suffer? What is it that will be damaged and truly at what temperature? I don't care to hear from this forum a lecture on guesses or theories. I can already create my own story!

Based on this thread, I am now reconsidering getting the a6300 if indeed the answer to this nonsense is opening the battery door. Or, I might just wait until the next model comes out and hope that they have this issue resolved. The camera is creating beautiful images and video so it is hard to turn my back on that and truly intending that whether it makes sense or not, that the problem is resolved via the battery door. FYI - This makes much more sense than for people feeling guilty and blaming themselves for not stepping outdoors in the cold weather with their cameras for a few minutes before doing a photo shoot indoors rather than facing reality that this should not be acceptable.

Well, I hate to inform you but Sony fixing this OVERHEAT issue ain't gonna happen, Period!

They know about it, and tell you about it in the manual. Although the A6300's body is a little different (Not Much) than the A6000, Nex5n, Nex-7 I had the Nex-7, Everyone of them All had OVERHEAT issues. My Nex-7, Man I was frustrated with that camera, because I loved it, Just not reliable. The only real answer is using an external recorder from out of the HDMI, You won't get any OVERHEATING, and you will gain some better quality video and have a nice external monitor, but there is the added cost, $1,000 + and additional batteries, and additional weight, and some find using one cumbersome, due to the design of having a small camera body in the first place.

It's frustrating, I know, I like what I see in the A6300, I now shoot a Sony RX-10 M2, It's a Great interim camera.

gskolenda's gear list:gskolenda's gear list
Nikon Z6 Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 +2 more
gskolenda
gskolenda Senior Member • Posts: 1,182

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

I ordered a grip for my A6300, so we'll see if it works as well on overheating as the A7 series. Judging from this test, it should, since it completely removes the battery from the camera.

What Grip? Does the new grip insert any part of it's self into the battery compartment?

Link?

gskolenda's gear list:gskolenda's gear list
Nikon Z6 Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 +2 more
QuangFoto

gskolenda wrote:

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

What Grip? Does the new grip insert any part of it's self into the battery compartment?

Link?

I think Amazon has it.

BlueBomberTurbo Senior Member • Posts: 1,492

gskolenda wrote:

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

Link?

http://amzn.to/1UQ7hjY

Confirmed by a review in another thread that it fits.  It inserts a dummy battery into the body, so the only battery heat generated is inside the grip.  It's not very good for photos (needs USB connection for shutter; no other buttons/dials), but it's good enough just for stability for long/heavy lenses and hopefully eliminate overheating under normal temps.

BlueBomberTurbo's gear list:BlueBomberTurbo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Sony a6300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +19 more
teddoman
teddoman Senior Member • Posts: 2,570

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

gskolenda wrote:

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

Link?

http://amzn.to/1UQ7hjY

Confirmed by a review in another thread that it fits. It inserts a dummy battery into the body, so the only battery heat generated is inside the grip. It's not very good for photos (needs USB connection for shutter; no other buttons/dials), but it's good enough just for stability for long/heavy lenses and hopefully eliminate overheating under normal temps.

Does this grip (or do grips in general) have tripod holes in the bottom if you want to use it on a tripod?

-- hide signature --

Ted
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tedchang/
C&C is encouraged, I'm always learning

teddoman's gear list:teddoman's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads