Picasa replacement

Started Feb 13, 2016 | Discussions
rcyphermd Regular Member • Posts: 186
Picasa replacement

Google just announced they are soon to quit supporting Picasa. I know it is not high tech, but for many people (including my family), it was easy to organize photos and edit and email them. Any suggestions for a replacement?  Thanks!

Setter Dog Veteran Member • Posts: 5,768
Re: Picasa replacement

First I've heard of that,.....bummer! I love Picasa. It works well and is very simple to use. I'm joining this thread so I can be notified of any answers to your question.

Jack

apathyman Veteran Member • Posts: 3,175

rcyphermd wrote:

Google just announced they are soon to quit supporting Picasa. I know it is not high tech, but for many people (including my family), it was easy to organize photos and edit and email them. Any suggestions for a replacement? Thanks!

They may be stopping development but you can still use the desktop version for as long as you like. You'll only run into problems if you buy a new camera and shoot raw. Picasa wont be updated to support it but you could still use Adobe's DNG Converter to convert the raws to dng.  If you shoot jpg, you should be able to continue using Picasa indefinitely.

Here's the info from Google:

http://googlephotos.blogspot.com.au/2016/02/moving-on-from-picasa.html

Cheers

Brian

steelhead3 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,714

Google is losing its soul and becoming more corporate...say goodbye to fun things for the public.

steelhead3's gear list:steelhead3's gear list
Sony a77 II
Keit ll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,640

This development underlines the basic problems that any user faces if they use such products or 'cloud' based services.

What is the user expected to do, who has come to rely on such services,  if the provider changes their mind or even goes bust?

Oskar Neuhold
Oskar Neuhold Regular Member • Posts: 260

I have not paid a penny to use the program. How dare they do this!
There should be a law against it.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Oskar F. Neuhold
http://adaossi.smugmug.com/

PVCdroid
PVCdroid Veteran Member • Posts: 4,396

rcyphermd wrote:

Google just announced they are soon to quit supporting Picasa. I know it is not high tech, but for many people (including my family), it was easy to organize photos and edit and email them. Any suggestions for a replacement? Thanks!

It's not difficult to use Google Photos to do the same. I frequently create albums in Google Photos and share them. I was a prior Picasa user.

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R II Sony a7R III
Tom_Bruno Senior Member • Posts: 1,378
Huh? A bunch of my photos are already on Google Photos??

PVCdroid wrote:

It's not difficult to use Google Photos to do the same. I frequently create albums in Google Photos and share them. I was a prior Picasa user.

I was a Picasa user too, until the program stopped displaying raw files.

After reading your post, I went to the Google Photos website, to check it out.  I have NEVER used Google Photos.  Never been to that website.  But when I clicked open the website, it immediately displayed hundreds of my photos!  Huh?

Maybe by my using Picasa they were uploaded somehow?  I never consciously uploaded even one photo to that site.  All my storage and editing is local, on my own computer.

It gives me a creepy feeling.  What else is Google uploading from my computer?

Weird!
---------------
Tom B

Tom_Bruno's gear list:Tom_Bruno's gear list
Canon G9 X Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
CheleA Regular Member • Posts: 269

Oskar Neuhold wrote:

I have not paid a penny to use the program. How dare they do this!
There should be a law against it.

Once I read that if you are not paying for the product, you are the product

OP rcyphermd Regular Member • Posts: 186

I do not mind paying for a product.....what would you recommend?

Dr Hal Senior Member • Posts: 1,613
Re: Faststone

I have used Faststone Image Viewer for years and it is easy to use and better than most of the programs I have bought.  I run my pictures through Fastone first and make simple adjustments there and then, if necessary can us ACDSee or Photoshop for final corrections.  It is free but I do send them a contribution every now and then.  It keeps up to date on RAW from different manufacturers also.  I think that if you download it and like it, you should give them a contribution.

Hal

Dr Hal's gear list:Dr Hal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +5 more
Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 20,575

Keit ll wrote:

This development underlines the basic problems that any user faces if they use such products or 'cloud' based services.

What is the user expected to do, who has come to rely on such services, if the provider changes their mind or even goes bust?

I'm a bit flummoxed by your response.  It seems to me, that you run that risk with ANY software, oOnline or not, commercial or not.  We can all name products of all sorts that left users high and dry when their publishers or developers went south on us.

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +13 more
KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 17,203

rcyphermd wrote:

For a low budget organizer I recommend the old ACDSee 14.  Dig around the web and you should find some cheap downloads, if not free.  The editor part works well too, but has a quirky interface.  So you may still want a freebie like FastStone or Irfanview for editing.

Take away the low budget requirement and there are a number of options hovering around the 100 USD mark.

Kelly Cook

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5
Glen Barrington
ACDSee 19 . . .

rcyphermd wrote:

I do not mind paying for a product.....what would you recommend?

ACDSee Pro 9 if you need raw development.

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +13 more
Glen Barrington
Re: Huh? A bunch of my photos are already on Google Photos??

I believe Picasa started using Google Photos as its online 'backbone' quite some time ago.

Glen Barrington

ACDSee Pro 9 (with excellent raw development) is on sale for $55.99 USD. till Feb 16 2016

jeffsvisions
jeffsvisions Senior Member • Posts: 1,734

light zone is pretty good and its free

-- hide signature --

The best picture is the one you take.
Jeff

jeffsvisions's gear list:jeffsvisions's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm X20 +2 more
AnthonyL Veteran Member • Posts: 3,129

KCook wrote:

rcyphermd wrote:

For a low budget organizer I recommend the old ACDSee 14. Dig around the web and you should find some cheap downloads, if not free. The editor part works well too, but has a quirky interface. So you may still want a freebie like FastStone or Irfanview for editing.

For me one of the best features of Picasa is the face recognition and I've got just about every photo with someone I know with their face identified.  I fear that one day that will be lost, at least as a free option.

AnthonyL's gear list:AnthonyL's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Chris Malcolm Senior Member • Posts: 2,101

Tom_Bruno wrote:

I was a Picasa user too, until the program stopped displaying raw files.

That's weird. When I first started using Picasa it didn't do RAW files. That didn't matter because neither did I. By the time I got round to using RAW Picasa had got round to displaying and permitting the editing of RAW files. It still does. Maybe I need to update it to get the latest version which doesn't?

After reading your post, I went to the Google Photos website, to check it out. I have NEVER used Google Photos. Never been to that website. But when I clicked open the website, it immediately displayed hundreds of my photos! Huh?

Maybe by my using Picasa they were uploaded somehow? I never consciously uploaded even one photo to that site. All my storage and editing is local, on my own computer.

I recall when setting up Picasa for the first time its default was to export my photos to some online Google facility. If I hadn't specifically told it not to do that then it would have been doing it automatically

-- hide signature --

Chris Malcolm

Chris Malcolm's gear list:Chris Malcolm's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 500mm F8 Reflex +7 more
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 6,581

I don't recall the platform, but look at Xnview; it works on several platforms, and is free. Great for hierarchical keywording BTW.

Corel's Aftershot Pro might be worth a trial as well; it's been discounted heavily several times recently IIRC.

Not sure if you need synching with mobile, but if so try Mylio. Free to use for like 3 devices and I think 3k images. Does face recognition, and can share that with Adobe applications in case you wanna climb the ladder to a more comprehensive image organizing scheme.

And maybe Lightroom. Google is so all over the map with photos (PicasaWeb, Google+, now Google Photos), but Jeffrey Friedl's PicasaWeb publishing service still works. He's said he'll make one for PicasaWeb's successor if and when they release an API. It can associate all the images you may already have on PicasaWeb; see here: http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/picasaweb/publish

-- hide signature --

“Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.”
— Edgar Degas

robgendreau's gear list:robgendreau's gear list
Pentax K-1 II Pentax FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads