BCN Japan 2016 Awards (2015 Data)

Started Jan 28, 2016 | Discussions
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 11,521
BCN Japan 2016 Awards (2015 Data)

BCN accumulates around 50% of all sales data out of Japan, so it's considered, well a pretty darn accurate representation of the Japan marketplace.

The 2016 awards are out, and here's the top 3 results that this website is most intrigued by.

the 2016 Award winners:

and last year, just as a sake of comparison:

2015 Award Winners:

all taken from:

http://bcnranking.jp/award/index.html

Enjoy!

justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 8,564
Re: BCN Japan 2016 Awards (2015 Data)

Canon M, #3 without even trying.

One of these years, Canon is going to make good on their claim that they are serious about mirrorless cameras.

OP (unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 11,521

indeed.

Canon increased it's marketshare in all categories. Clearly they don't know what they are doing

Canon, Nikon and Ricoh account for 99.6% of all DSLR's in Japan, which means that Sony has slipped to basically nothing .4% (POINT-FOUR) %.

Fuji, Ricoh, Nikon and Panasonic are all scrapping it out in the Mirrorless market for the remaining 27.1%, as Olympus, Sony and Canon account for 72.9%

Sony has also slipped to it's second lowest marketshare in MILC"s in 6 years at 24.8% it probably explains why Sony's "strategy" is now bragging about "increased value" versus "increased marketshare"

doing some napkin math:

In Japan, Sony has slipped to around a 7.5% overall marketshare as MILC's account for 30.5% (so far) of all ILC's in Japan.

Canon accounts for around 43.1% of all ILC's sold in Japan .. DSLR and MILC. pretty much dominating the domestic market.

justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 8,564

In the DSLR category, I was surprised by how far behind Canon Nikon is. I thought that Nikon would be closer than that.

justmeMN wrote:

In the DSLR category, I was surprised by how far behind Canon Nikon is. I thought that Nikon would be closer than that.

the rebels kicked some serious butt this year in japan. I dont' think i ever saw them out of at least #1,#2 in ILC's.

Some other interesting fun figures.

Mirrorless slipped from 40% of sales to 30% of sales (CIPA data)

ILC's Canon increased it's marketshare from 37% to 43% between 2014 and 2015.

Sony's marketshare plummeted from 15.4% to 7.5%.

Olympus climbed up to 10.5% overall markethshare, taking over 3rd spot for ILC's.

Approx marketshare (I can't calculate Nikon's and this is based on 11 months of CIPA data)

canon 43%

Nikon 25.5% (plus 3-4% for Mirrorless approx)

Olympus 10.5%

Sony 7.5%

Jonathan Brady
Jonathan Brady Veteran Member • Posts: 6,725

Wow! It really goes to show you that lower priced consumer cameras dictate the market share in that market. Looks like the T6 family is treating Canon well! Along with the M3.

Im headed to bed, but I'm assuming many will be invading this thread in no time to offer their take on why these numbers are crap. Looking forward to reading that tomorrow while munching on popcorn.

aftab
aftab Forum Pro • Posts: 10,204

It is interesting that the official brand has lost two top spots compared to previous year, in video camera and mirrorless ILC.

Canon actually dominated point and shoot market longer than DSLR market. It is hard to tell how much money anyone makes with P&S given that this market has been squarely beaten by cellphone. Canon probably still makes some money. They have recently released 3 cheap P&Ss. Pundits here thought they didn't know what they were doing.

As expected lens market has been dominated by Canon, Nikon, Sigma and Tamron.

http://bcnranking.jp/award/section/hard/hard92.html

aftab's gear list:aftab's gear list
Canon G1 X II Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600 +23 more

the lens data surprised me with nikon selling so little.

I always thought lenses identified the "health" of the mount, and canon actually increases it's marketshare in the lens category as well.

but wait.. i thought canon doesn't know what they were doing?

I miscalc'ed ILC marketshare.

Canon 44.5% (up from 36.6% )
Nikon somewhere around 25.5 to 28% (up from around 25.5% last year)
Olympus 13.9% (up from 11.6%)
Sony 9.9% (down from 15.4%)

PVCdroid
PVCdroid Veteran Member • Posts: 4,396

The Canon 6D shows as an APS-C camera.

Selecting Canon only pulls up the A6000 in the list.

Selecting Nikon only shows six Canon cameras and the Canon EOS KISS as the number one camera.

The EOSm2 shows up when selecting full frame

The data looks totally corrupt and six months old.

Every selection I make shows mistakes in their data and every refresh shows different results.

http://bcnranking.jp/category/subcategory_0008_month.html

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R II Sony a7R III
EthanP99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,436

Selecting Nikon only shows six Canon cameras and the Canon EOS KISS as the number one camera.

Every selection I make shows mistakes in their data and every refresh shows different results.

That's disturbing

EthanP99's gear list:EthanP99's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX1R Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 +21 more

PVCdroid wrote:

the website is bugged out, there's some weird toggling effect happening. you can see it doesn't filter on manufacturer or much of anything really.

if you look at the collected monthly, the selections seem to work by I can still bug them out. if you look at the actual data. the manufacturers and product are identified correctly. The final results are audited as well. this is considered one of the most important sales data gathering companies in japan.

but good try and trying to disprove the data. I wondered when a sony fanboy would try that.

funny how the data was all accurate last year though

rrccad wrote:

PVCdroid wrote:

the website is bugged out, there's some weird toggling effect happening. you can see it doesn't filter on manufacturer or much of anything really.

if you look at the collected monthly, the selections seem to work by I can still bug them out. if you look at the actual data. the manufacturers and product are identified correctly. The final results are audited as well. this is considered one of the most important sales data gathering companies in japan.

but good try and trying to disprove the data. I wondered when a sony fanboy would try that.

Ah. I see how it gets screwed up.

during post back to the website if you change the selections. it does not re-refresh the data content.

some of the selections are mutually exclusive. and the query is not an OR (lens mount and sensor size is AND not OR (very strange))

anywho. the data is correct, but the website could use some polish by today's standards.

TomFid Veteran Member • Posts: 3,238

rrccad wrote:

anywho. the data is correct, but the website could use some polish by today's standards.

Maybe. I work with a lot of consumer data, and it's typically full of errors and omissions. Pharma, toothpaste, printers - they all have problems.

I'm not saying that I disbelieve these results, and I'm grateful that you posted them. But I take them with a big grain of salt.

TomFid's gear list:TomFid's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II

TomFid wrote:

rrccad wrote:

Maybe. I work with a lot of consumer data, and it's typically full of errors and omissions. Pharma, toothpaste, printers - they all have problems.

I'm not saying that I disbelieve these results, and I'm grateful that you posted them. But I take them with a big grain of salt.

well, they have matched up well to amazon.co.jp rankings through the years and BCN is considered one of the best but to each their own.

the data is accurate from a spot check, Panasonic for instance, has been decaying since 2013? I believe? it only was .4% ahead of canon last year. no great surprise it's not in the top 3.

Olympus has been #1 throughout the entire year on Amazon.co.jp

it's hard to suggest that the rankings are "off"

Siobhan A Senior Member • Posts: 1,857
In Japan Canon + Oly winners, Sony a big loser.

Canon with little effort is up to 13% making up for any loss in DSLR sales.   Imagine if they try to sell mirrorless cameras.   Olympus and Panasonic (m43) had most likely double the sales of Sony in Japan.  They are back to where they were just a couple years ago when M43 dominated Japanese mirrorless sales.   Looking at sales from the past 5 years, m43 should have a solid user base.

zxaar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,366

rrccad wrote:

PVCdroid wrote:

funnier is the thought that you thought nothing changed in their website in 1 year.

Simple mind and sarcasm dont mix well.

-- hide signature --

::> I make spelling mistakes. May Dog forgive me for this.

Scary for Sony

justmeMN wrote:

One of these years, Canon is going to make good on their claim that they are serious about mirrorless cameras.

Good point.   Sony sales have declined despite have no competition in FF and 3 new models.  Imagine if Nikon and Canon enter the FF mirrorless world.  Sony could possibly be devastated.   They'd still have customers, but might drop below 15% despite their efforts.  They could still remain profitable because of high price points, and that is important.

Re: Scary for Sony

Siobhan A wrote:

justmeMN wrote:

Good point. Sony sales have declined despite have no competition in FF and 3 new models. Imagine if Nikon and Canon enter the FF mirrorless world. Sony could possibly be devastated. They'd still have customers, but might drop below 15% despite their efforts. They could still remain profitable because of high price points, and that is important.

if canon got "serious" about MILC's .. i suspect it would be a two company race between olympus and Canon.

Sony? not so much.. they are shooting themselves in the posterior without any competition.

by "serious" doesn't mean form and function as it does economic clout.

it's no great surprise that sony has all of a sudden switched from talking about marketshare increases to "value" increases.

I find it remarkable that in a shrinking and ever competitive cut throat market that canon increased it's market dominance from 36% to 44%.

Re: Scary for Sony

rrccad wrote:

Siobhan A wrote:

justmeMN wrote:

Good point. Sony sales have declined despite have no competition in FF and 3 new models. Imagine if Nikon and Canon enter the FF mirrorless world. Sony could possibly be devastated. They'd still have customers, but might drop below 15% despite their efforts. They could still remain profitable because of high price points, and that is important.

if canon got "serious" about MILC's .. i suspect it would be a two company race between olympus and Canon.

Sony? not so much.. they are shooting themselves in the posterior without any competition.

by "serious" doesn't mean form and function as it does economic clout.

it's no great surprise that sony has all of a sudden switched from talking about marketshare increases to "value" increases.

I find it remarkable that in a shrinking and ever competitive cut throat market that canon increased it's market dominance from 36% to 44%.

What is really telling for Sony is, they had a 13-14% market share for DLSRs/ILCs back in 2008.   Last year it was said it was at around 13-14% still.   With this loss in Japan I wonder what it will be.

If you notice Sony now quotes 'value' instead of 'units' usually in their press releases.  They are selling more high end/very expensive cameras, but this is more proof unit sales have declined.

Like everyone says, image what will happen if Canon gets serious.  And look at all the Sony owners who are buying or keeping Canon lenses 'just in case'.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads