EM1 benefits over EM10 compared to new generation OMDs?

Started Dec 9, 2015 | Discussions
adamgrin Regular Member • Posts: 162
EM1 benefits over EM10 compared to new generation OMDs?

Hi there,

I have an EM10 mark 1 which I am happy with, but my local camera shop is selling the EM1 at $699 AUD after the $200 cash back! Thats about $500 USD! That seems like a very very good deal, so the question is whether I would notice a big step up from my EM10 to the EM1 as an upgrade or even just to use as a second body? Or are the newer generation of OMDs i.e. EM5II & EM10II a bigger step up and a better choice for an upgrade/second body?

Thanks!

Adam

Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
James Pilcher Forum Pro • Posts: 10,046
OM-D E-M1

The E-M1 is still a frightfully good camera. At $500 USD (equiv) it almost seems like a no-brainer. The IBIS will be much better than your E-M10.1, the grip better, the viewfinder better, and it's weather sealed. On top of that, Olympus has added all sorts of new features through firmware that your E-M10.1 will never have. Save yourself some money over the two newer bodies you mentioned and get the E-M1.

Jim Pilcher
Bonita Springs, Florida, USA
Life is a breeze by the sea

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Fujifilm X70 Olympus PEN-F +13 more
Michael M Fliegel
Michael M Fliegel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,679
Re: OM-D E-M1

Totally agree with James. Spend a few minutes with an EM1 and you will too!

Michael M Fliegel's gear list:Michael M Fliegel's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +13 more
brad1242 Forum Member • Posts: 62

James Pilcher wrote:

The E-M1 is still a frightfully good camera. At $500 USD (equiv) it almost seems like a no-brainer. The IBIS will be much better than your E-M10.1, the grip better, the viewfinder better, and it's weather sealed. On top of that, Olympus has added all sorts of new features through firmware that your E-M10.1 will never have. Save yourself some money over the two newer bodies you mentioned and get the E-M1.

Jim Pilcher
Bonita Springs, Florida, USA
Life is a breeze by the sea

Hmmm from everything I've read, I wouldn't say the 5-axis IBIS in the EM1 is "much" better than the EM10... Granted most threads and posts I had read compared the EM10 3-axis to the EM5 5-axis, but assuming the EM1 5-axis is similar, most people reported zero real-world difference between the two. The only minor differences were supposedly seen solely in macro shooting, where horizontal and vertical shift (the missing 2 axes) make a difference. Other than that I thought they were largely the same, for all practical non-macro purposes. Unless you're hell-bent on getting 1/2 to 1 second hand-held exposures, I don't think it would be a compelling reason to upgrade....

But the other reasons James mentioned might be worth it to you. You also get the faster hybrid-AF on the EM1, although personally I value the smaller size of the EM10 (mark i or ii) over the more substantial grip of the EM1. But it is undeniable that the EM1 was $1100+ not too long ago, so for $500, its obviously a deal if it has the features you want!

SkiHound Veteran Member • Posts: 3,727
Re: EM1 benefits over EM10 compared to new generation OMDs?

I own both an E-M1 and E-M10. I've not touched either the 5ii or 10ii. The version 4 firmware upgrade brought many, though not all, of the features added to the 5ii (most notably, IMO is the high resolution mode) or the 10ii (the ability to move focus point with you eye to the EVF was not added to the E-M1. IMO, IQ between all of these camera is largely a wash. IMO, the E-M1 has outstanding ergonomics, lots of buttons that can be programmed, etc. The biggest reason I bought an E-M1 was pdaf. I really wanted at least a viable CAF for stuff like taking pictures of running dogs at the beach. I think the E-M1 handles larger lenses better. If I'm going out to do photography, I take the E-M1 or perhaps both bodies. OTOH, I often choose to take only the E-M10. I value the light weight and small size. It's also less conspicuous if you are out on the street. I generally use the E-M10 with small primes and without a grip. I also have a Panasonic 12-32 that I think exemplifies the micro 43 system. I'm going to be traveling and need to travel light. My plan is to take only the E-M10, 12-32, 17, & 45. So I use and like both, but I tend to use them differently. If you want a more rugged, faster shooting, more customizable body, and much better CAF, then the E-M1 would make sense. But otherwise I probably wouldn't opt for the E-M1 (though it seems you can get it for a heck of a good price).

OP adamgrin Regular Member • Posts: 162

SkiHound wrote:

I own both an E-M1 and E-M10. I've not touched either the 5ii or 10ii. The version 4 firmware upgrade brought many, though not all, of the features added to the 5ii (most notably, IMO is the high resolution mode) or the 10ii (the ability to move focus point with you eye to the EVF was not added to the E-M1. IMO, IQ between all of these camera is largely a wash. IMO, the E-M1 has outstanding ergonomics, lots of buttons that can be programmed, etc. The biggest reason I bought an E-M1 was pdaf. I really wanted at least a viable CAF for stuff like taking pictures of running dogs at the beach. I think the E-M1 handles larger lenses better. If I'm going out to do photography, I take the E-M1 or perhaps both bodies. OTOH, I often choose to take only the E-M10. I value the light weight and small size. It's also less conspicuous if you are out on the street. I generally use the E-M10 with small primes and without a grip. I also have a Panasonic 12-32 that I think exemplifies the micro 43 system. I'm going to be traveling and need to travel light. My plan is to take only the E-M10, 12-32, 17, & 45. So I use and like both, but I tend to use them differently. If you want a more rugged, faster shooting, more customizable body, and much better CAF, then the E-M1 would make sense. But otherwise I probably wouldn't opt for the E-M1 (though it seems you can get it for a heck of a good price).

Thanks for the info!

Improved C-AF might be the clincher as I don't even bother using it with my em10.

I don't use CAF with my E-M10 either. After firmware version 3.0 lots of folks were reporting that CAF was much improved. I'd actually been giving some consideration to buying something like a Canon 7D just for the times when I wanted CAF. In general, m43 works very well for me and I didn't really want to go into another system. And it's not as if I do a ton of stuff that requires CAF. But I do like to take photos of our dogs romping. After firmware 3 I decided to buy a used E-M1. I don't know all the details but they really revamped CAF in high sequential shooting mode. With fast focusing lenses I find it works quite well in good light. I think it's a really nice handling camera. But I still use the E-M10 a lot when I want to be more discrete and minimalist.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51072326@N08/

stokey Regular Member • Posts: 363

SkiHound wrote:

I don't use CAF with my E-M10 either. After firmware version 3.0 lots of folks were reporting that CAF was much improved.

E-M10 firmware V3.0 ? I must have missed that mine's still on V1.2

Bob

My bad. I wrote the last post poorly. In my earlier post I was talking about firmware 3 for the E-M1. I left E-M1 out of the last post and I can easily see that this implies the E-M10.

brad1242 Forum Member • Posts: 62

stokey wrote:

SkiHound wrote:

I don't use CAF with my E-M10 either. After firmware version 3.0 lots of folks were reporting that CAF was much improved.

Bob

Is there any indication that the original E-M10 will continue to get firmware updates? Or now that the mark ii is out, do they discontinue support for the original? Waiting on mine to arrive and would love to hear it's still supported, but wouldn't be surprised if it isn't...

renttoown Contributing Member • Posts: 561

What a great price!

If I saw this deal my Visa would come out of my wallet so fast it would hurt. There was an EM-1 listed on craigslist for $700 US and it disappeared before I could get home to email the owner i wanted his camera.

You can't steal in slow motion.

Marty

psychiatric Nurse & Street Photographer

-- hide signature --

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

renttoown's gear list:renttoown's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +4 more
Martin Ocando
MOD Martin Ocando Veteran Member • Posts: 6,385

adamgrin wrote:

Hi there,

I have an EM10 mark 1 which I am happy with, but my local camera shop is selling the EM1 at $699 AUD after the $200 cash back! Thats about $500 USD! That seems like a very very good deal, so the question is whether I would notice a big step up from my EM10 to the EM1 as an upgrade or even just to use as a second body? Or are the newer generation of OMDs i.e. EM5II & EM10II a bigger step up and a better choice for an upgrade/second body?

Thanks!

Adam

I own both, and as others have mentioned, the list of improvements from the E-M10 makes it more than worth it. I recently paid a bit over 100$ more than that, and I thought I made a very good deal. Yours is even better.

Once you get it, and get used to it, your second body will become the E-M10. Believe me.

-- hide signature --

Martin
"One of the biggest mistakes a photographer can make is to look at the real world and cling to the vain hope that next time his film will somehow bear a closer resemblance to it" - Galen Rowell

Martin Ocando's gear list:Martin Ocando's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +10 more
DLBlack Forum Pro • Posts: 14,197

It all depends on what type of photographer you are and what you are photographing.  If you value small size and don't use the buttons and dials that much the E-M10 is a real good camera.  On the other hand if you want a camera with a better ergonomics with plenty of buttons and dials for direct control of the camera the E-M1 is a better camera.  If you photograph moving subjects like BIF or sports the E-M1 in high speed (9fps) and C-AF that really works is the camera for you.  The larger buffer also helps in those types of shots.  The E-M1 is also a faster handling camera.  The EVF is better.  The E-M1 because of its size can handle the larger lenses.  The E-M1 is a great handling camera.  While the E-M10 is a nice small camera.

Anyhow, I don't own the E-M10, but do own the E-M1 and the E-M5 Mkii.  Every time I use the E-M5 Mkii I realize how much better handling the E-M1 is.

Dave

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II +38 more

brad1242 wrote:

stokey wrote:

SkiHound wrote:

Bob

Is there any indication that the original E-M10 will continue to get firmware updates? Or now that the mark ii is out, do they discontinue support for the original? Waiting on mine to arrive and would love to hear it's still supported, but wouldn't be surprised if it isn't...

Usually once the camera has been replaced with a newer model the older, discontinued model don't get FW updates.

RedOctobyr Regular Member • Posts: 298

Does the E-M1 only provide PDAF when using Four Thirds lenses, or also when using Micro Four Thirds lenses? I thought I'd heard something about it only doing PDAF with the larger FT lenses, but I may be wrong. The E-M10 and E-M5 can only do CDAF, of course, regardless of the lens being used.

An E-M1 for $500 is a heck of a price!

RedOctobyr's gear list:RedOctobyr's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH

I haven't figured out exactly how the focusing system works. Since firmware 3.0 High speed sequential with CAF uses PDAF with native m43 lenses. I don't know if CDAF has any role when shooting with high sequential frame rates. With low sequential frame rates the CAF is described as a hybrid PDAF/CDAF system. Since firmware 3.0 the camera is definitely using PDAF with native m43 lenses in H sequential shooting mode with CAF. I don't know if that was the case prior to firmware version 3. And I also know that the big change to focusing was in H sequential mode rather than L sequential mode. To this point I've never used L.

inlawbiker Senior Member • Posts: 1,888

adamgrin wrote:

Hi there,

I have an EM10 mark 1 which I am happy with, but my local camera shop is selling the EM1 at $699 AUD after the $200 cash back! Thats about $500 USD! That seems like a very very good deal, so the question is ..

Maybe not a popular opinion but I wouldn't exchange a camera I'm already happy with, unless it's broken or the new camera has something I need.

Greg.

inlawbiker's gear list:inlawbiker's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more

The E-M1 uses CDAF while in S-AF and in C-AF in lows fps multi-shot mode. It uses PDAF in C-AF high fps multi-shot mode. This is one of the reasons I mostly use 9 fps for action photos. Another reason is that it is easier to follow the action at high fps. The only thing is that in high fps mode exposure is set on the initial shot. In low fps exposure is set for each shot.

Dave
--
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3571/3380136992_7c5a0986ea_m.jpg

Martin.au
Martin.au Forum Pro • Posts: 13,578

DLBlack wrote:

The E-M1 uses CDAF while in S-AF and in C-AF in lows fps multi-shot mode. It uses PDAF in C-AF high fps multi-shot mode. This is one of the reasons I mostly use 9 fps for action photos. Another reason is that it is easier to follow the action at high fps. The only thing is that in high fps mode exposure is set on the initial shot. In low fps exposure is set for each shot.

Dave
--
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3571/3380136992_7c5a0986ea_m.jpg

Pdaf+CDaf for C-AF low.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +7 more
sderdiarian Veteran Member • Posts: 4,231

James Pilcher wrote:

I'd also add that Olympus is highly unlikely to support their entry level E-M10 with major firmware updates, reserving these for their flagship camera.

In terms of handling, I've handled a friends E-M10, comparing it to my E-M5, and came away feeling there's such a thing as too small. Having cut my teeth on an E-510, which is virtually identical to the E-M1 in size, weight and having a true grip, I've even found my E-M5 to be a bit small, and at 5'-2" I hardly have large hands.

There is such a thing as a "right size" in terms of ergonomics, and it appears the E-M1 nails this.  Compare it to an E-M10 at one end of the spectrum, and to a D7200 of similar build quality to see how reasonable its size and weight (1.1 lbs. vs. close to 2 lbs.) truly are:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#521,482,611,ha,f

Combine this with its very sturdy build, much larger magnification EVF, on-sensor PDAF capabilities for tracking action and the numerous FW updates that keep it current, and $500 is a steal.  In fact, I'd double-check if there's any fine print, seems too good to be true!

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads