iPhone 6S camera is very poor!

Started Dec 2, 2015 | Discussions
Jostian
Jostian Veteran Member • Posts: 3,598
iPhone 6S camera is very poor!

Just got the 6s and am very disappointed, compared it to my Note 4, and the detail (especially skin) on the 6s is completely waxy looking, never seen it as bad as this...

see crops below:

6S crop

Note 4 crop

here are the original photos:

Note 4

-- hide signature --

Jostian

Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +5 more
bigley Ling Veteran Member • Posts: 4,448
Re: iPhone 6S camera is very poor!

was going to say out doors vs indoors shot, but then I see both captured at near base ISO. Seems like the note4 indeed has the better camera in this mini battle.

bigley Ling's gear list:bigley Ling's gear list
Apple iPhone X
Jostian
OP Jostian Veteran Member • Posts: 3,598

agree, but what shocks me is just how poor the 6s' rendering is... so waxy looking, really wasn't expecting that at all. it looks worse than the older Xperia's from 2-3 years ago (when we all complained about the poor Sony processing). Very disappointing actually.

-- hide signature --

Jostian

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +5 more
SHood Veteran Member • Posts: 5,287

Jostian wrote:

agree, but what shocks me is just how poor the 6s' rendering is... so waxy looking, really wasn't expecting that at all. it looks worse than the older Xperia's from 2-3 years ago (when we all complained about the poor Sony processing). Very disappointing actually.

I wonder if Apple is somehow tied to the Sony processing since they are using the latest Sony sensor.  The NR algorithms could all be on the chip now.

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
Jostian

would be sad if that's the case, wonder if a iOS update could help?

-- hide signature --

Jostian

ryder78 Contributing Member • Posts: 650

Jostian wrote:

Just got the 6s and am very disappointed, compared it to my Note 4, and the detail (especially skin) on the 6s is completely waxy looking, never seen it as bad as this...

see crops below:

6S crop

Note 4 crop

Note 4

Not exactly an apple to apple comparison between the Samsung Note 4 and iPhone 6s as one shot was taken indoors and the other shot was taken outdoors. Having said that, I agree that the cropped image from the iPhone 6s looked awful!!

Jostian

Yes not ideal but it was pretty bright inside even the iso is very low, the result is hugely disappointing though as you say.

-- hide signature --

Jostian

The Newtype
The Newtype Forum Member • Posts: 50

I keep seeing such comments about the 6S' camera, and I can't say I'm surprised. It seems Apple is content to include only marginally better photography chops as the iPhone marches on. Unless one needs/prefers iOS, iPhones just aren't worth getting for their cameras anymore.

The Newtype's gear list:The Newtype's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Sony RX1R Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM Google Pixel +4 more
Jostian

strange that Apple is using so much processing in the 6s, the skin in the 6s photo from above is SO unnatural looking, its really very poor!

-- hide signature --

Jostian

Selim12345 Junior Member • Posts: 27

Not only 6s, but also other flagships, like s6 and g4 are very poor, in my opinion.

wklee Veteran Member • Posts: 8,749

see crops below:

6S crop

Note 4 crop

Note 4

I wonder if there is a (non)deliberate attempt to get people to buy the 6s plus with its IS? I've heard that the 6s plus uses PDAF, but I am uncertain what the 6s uses?
--
Never buy version 1.0 of anything.

The Newtype
The Newtype Forum Member • Posts: 50

wklee wrote:

see crops below:

6S crop

Note 4 crop

Note 4

I wonder if there is a (non)deliberate attempt to get people to buy the 6s plus with its IS? I've heard that the 6s plus uses PDAF, but I am uncertain what the 6s uses?
--

I've been of the same mind since they released the 6, and thought that they would have remedied it with the 6S. It definitely looks as though they are trying to push people to the larger Plus version; as we all know, they obviously want people to upgrade to the 64GB since they are still selling a 16GB phone with no possibility to expand the storage. It's shameful that such a low capacity even exists.

The Newtype's gear list:The Newtype's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Sony RX1R Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM Google Pixel +4 more
Jostian

the only difference between 6s+ and 6s is the IS, both have PDAF. just think they dropped the ball in terms of their processing algorithms.

-- hide signature --

Jostian

wklee Veteran Member • Posts: 8,749

Jostian wrote:

the only difference between 6s+ and 6s is the IS, both have PDAF. just think they dropped the ball in terms of their processing algorithms.

There is also a difference when compared to my iPhone 5s which is the 8MP vs 12MP that Apple is using for iPhone 6s. I am uncertain how much of a difference it would make, though.

-- hide signature --

nwcs
nwcs Regular Member • Posts: 220

Just my opinion from the pictures but I suspect the issue is that the focus is off on the iPhone shot but not the other. Just a thought anyway...

nwcs's gear list:nwcs's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD Macro Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +1 more
LEGACYMOMENTSPHOTOGRAPHY
LEGACYMOMENTSPHOTOGRAPHY Regular Member • Posts: 286

Is there a setting to turn off noise reduction, i hate smeary images, id rather noisy and sharp? I bought the lumia 950 for its camera and its so good so far, there was no other phone camera i liked no way near. Would recommend it. Some of the cameras i looked at just looked like paintings with too many pixels id rather a 5mp camera thats sharp and clean to a 40mp smearly soft rubbish for example. The Lumia is a 20mp camera but does images at 18.5ish mp and i feel its pretty sharp and clean for a phone.

-- hide signature --

Just go out and shoot photos!!!!

LEGACYMOMENTSPHOTOGRAPHY's gear list:LEGACYMOMENTSPHOTOGRAPHY's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 30D +6 more
Jostian

LEGACYMOMENTSPHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

Is there a setting to turn off noise reduction, i hate smeary images, id rather noisy and sharp? I bought the lumia 950 for its camera and its so good so far, there was no other phone camera i liked no way near. Would recommend it. Some of the cameras i looked at just looked like paintings with too many pixels id rather a 5mp camera thats sharp and clean to a 40mp smearly soft rubbish for example. The Lumia is a 20mp camera but does images at 18.5ish mp and i feel its pretty sharp and clean for a phone.

On the 6s no there is no NR setting, problem is that the NR is so destructive at present it destroys detail, even in good light... Nice shot by the way, the 950 seems to have a decent camera.

-- hide signature --

Jostian

nwcs
nwcs Regular Member • Posts: 220

Would one of the many alternative camera apps be a possible workaround? I haven't updated from my iPhone 6 (probably won't until 7 is out) but some have a bit more power to them. Also have you submitted a proper bug report with Apple? Perhaps that would get some attention?

nwcs's gear list:nwcs's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD Macro Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +1 more
Jostian

yip have submitted bug report, tried a few other camera apps but the difference is negligible, unfortunately...

-- hide signature --

Jostian

LEGACYMOMENTSPHOTOGRAPHY
LEGACYMOMENTSPHOTOGRAPHY Regular Member • Posts: 286

Jostian wrote:

LEGACYMOMENTSPHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

On the 6s no there is no NR setting, problem is that the NR is so destructive at present it destroys detail, even in good light... Nice shot by the way, the 950 seems to have a decent camera.

Thx, and thats a shame. i used to carry a compact camera before i got this phone becuase i was not impressed totally with camera phones. but this has financially made me feel i dont need one, well on my canon G5 for the zoom lol.

-- hide signature --

Just go out and shoot photos!!!!

LEGACYMOMENTSPHOTOGRAPHY's gear list:LEGACYMOMENTSPHOTOGRAPHY's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 30D +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads