Detail shots of the new FF, from 10/22/15 PhotoExpo in NYC

Started Oct 23, 2015 | Discussions
tex Veteran Member • Posts: 7,887
Detail shots of the new FF, from 10/22/15 PhotoExpo in NYC

Best I could do quickly under difficult circumstances.  The camera was being displayed in the worst possible spot!  Images:

Showing interesting new articulating screen

top deck from the front

another angle. Sorry about the glass glare.

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software. Personal website: www.texandrewsart.com
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax 645Z Pentax K-1 II Ricoh Theta V Pentax FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 +29 more
OP tex Veteran Member • Posts: 7,887
3 more...

The screen.  The arrangement of the four posts allows for some odd articulations.

that screen again....

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software. Personal website: www.texandrewsart.com
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

Pentax K-1 Pentax 645Z Pentax K-1 II Ricoh Theta V Pentax FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 +29 more
Another...

some rear buttons

Something's gone wonky with the DPR image insertion mechanism.  I'll post several more pix of the rear and front buttons in a few hours.  Got to go to bed.

-- hide signature --

Michael 2012
Michael 2012 Regular Member • Posts: 259
Re: Another...

Thank you for posting Tex.

Wonder what that third top wheel is (behind the shutter button)

Let the speculation begin! 

Regards,

Michael.

Michael 2012's gear list:Michael 2012's gear list
Pentax K-30 Sigma 50-200mm F4-5.6 DC OS HSM HD Pentax DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED WR Sigma 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM
awaldram
awaldram Forum Pro • Posts: 13,270
Re: Another...

Michael 2012 wrote:

Thank you for posting Tex.

Wonder what that third top wheel is (behind the shutter button)

Let the speculation begin!

Regards,

Michael.

Seems pretty intuitive to me (hopefully)

the wheel nearest the the prism selects function the spinner selects function value.

Don't understand why there's an ISO on the function wheel and still an ISO button, Though it is early days Id hope the ISO button would become Multi function select-able in Gui.

What we can see of the questions asked

WiFi

Tilting LCD (more it appears to be Wireless so probably removable as well)

GPS

no-Flash

And it looks a beast

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-x Olympus PEN E-PM2 +17 more
Broken Hill Regular Member • Posts: 221
Re: 3 more...

Thanks Tex,

The articulated screen seems very odd in it's engineering. However note that the main dial has a ' Grid ' option which makes me wonder if it has a projectable grid screen on to the focusing screen.

Also GPS and WiFi Buttons.

Interesting!

Thanks

Broken Hill

Broken Hill's gear list:Broken Hill's gear list
Pentax K-3
some more shots, more buttons

again, sorry for the glare

front side buttons, pc synch, side door

-- hide signature --

ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 25,102
Re: Detail shots of the new FF, from 10/22/15 PhotoExpo in NYC

Thanks Tex if this has a removable rear touch lcd and that dial is a viewfinder overlay dial this will be one mean machine and my guess is they are waiting for the 42mp bsi - wow.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-50 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +13 more
Trying again for the back buttons

I can't seem to get my 3 shots of the rear buttons to post. Keeps reverting to the worst image!  Anyone have any ideas why?

-- hide signature --

Don't think it's removeable, and it's 36 mp

There's going to be a surprise inside, though, according to the guy I spoke with.

More interesting info later during my lunch break.

-- hide signature --

Leandros S Senior Member • Posts: 2,132
"Inside"

tex wrote:

There's going to be a surprise inside, though, according to the guy I spoke with.

This is what the two Ricoh managers said in that interview way back - "inside". Either he's quoting from the interview, or there is a specific meaning to the word "inside". What could be "inside"?

Continuously variable AA filter like that RX1R II? Wouldn't be much of a surprise.

Electronic shutter for pixelshift allowing virtually instantaneous shifting? Would that be "inside"? Would it be much of a surprise, given that this is what the entire industry is expecting to happen next? Probably not.

Curious to hear other suggestions.

-- hide signature --

There's no bad bokeh, just background that's too close.

Zvonimir Tosic
Zvonimir Tosic Senior Member • Posts: 2,947
Instant visual feedback, etc.

Leandros S wrote:

tex wrote:

Curious to hear other suggestions.

Those two new big dials could be full control of the EVF image overlay inside the VF. One sets the control, the other fine tunes it.

You have a total control over image preview in the VF before you press the shutter, and can show anything and how it affects the image output: how crop looks like, grids, eV compensation, different levels of SR, how ISO affects the image, etc. You have an instant visual feedback, far better than using the rear LCD, as in theory, mirror image and sensor-fed image could be combined in one as well.

In theory, mirror in that case could also be used as a sort of built-in ND filter. Etc.

A total portable darkroom.

If true, of course.

-- hide signature --

Madamina, il catalogo è questo; Delle belle che amò il padron mio; un catalogo egli è che ho fatt'io; Osservate, leggete con me.

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Leica X2 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +3 more
kitsios_spyros
kitsios_spyros Senior Member • Posts: 2,676
Re: "Inside"

It looks great! We will soon know the spec list. I ecpect more SW and HW improovements on Pixel shift.

-- hide signature --

Kind Regards,
Spyros

kitsios_spyros's gear list:kitsios_spyros's gear list
Pentax K-01 Samsung NX300 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-3 Pentax K-3 II +12 more
SungiBr
SungiBr Regular Member • Posts: 165

I like it.

But, what was that LCD?!?

Detachable?

Articulated?

Alien?

-- hide signature --

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they pass by"

SungiBr's gear list:SungiBr's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax K10D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +4 more
Smitty1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,836
Re: Don't think it's removeable, and it's 36 mp

tex wrote:

More interesting info later during my lunch break.

We can only speculate and speculation is worthless.

So let me add my worthlessness to this thread haha.. I think it is a hybrid of sorts... full OVF with optional overlay.

Either way, it looks VERY expensive.

Smitty1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,836
It *looks* complete -- for what are they waiting? (nt)

No text.

Petroglyph
Petroglyph Veteran Member • Posts: 6,085
Re: It *looks* complete -- for what are they waiting? (nt)

Smitty1 wrote:

Software & FW has to get to ver. 1.0 for one thing, and I'd guess some of the bugs are not yet worked out.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Sony a7R II Rokinon 135mm F2.0 Samyang 20mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8
Petroglyph
Petroglyph Veteran Member • Posts: 6,085

tex wrote:

Best I could do quickly under difficult circumstances. The camera was being displayed in the worst possible spot! Images:

Is that a wireless LCD (detachable) on the back?  I didn't see the wire conduit in the extended pic.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Sony a7R II Rokinon 135mm F2.0 Samyang 20mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8
Leandros S Senior Member • Posts: 2,132
Re: It *looks* complete -- for what are they waiting? (nt)

Also, you have to produce a certain number before you can go to market. Otherwise you end up with lots of empty shops, which consumers hate.

-- hide signature --

There's no bad bokeh, just background that's too close.

miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 7,158
Wow! But what is ... for?

Thanks Tex for the good pictures!

1. Grid?

framing aid? Focusing aid? AF function?

2. CH-CL

Something high/low?

My guess is contrast-High and contrast-Low/Shadow adjustment, allowing to fully use the huge dynamic range in-camera?

3. SR

Shake reduction or Super-resolution?

4. Crop

This one is easier to guess: settings for using aps-c lenses i assume.

5. The down button on the 4-way controller.

Is that pixel-shift resolution?

That's a lot of new dials....

It looks like the metering dial (full/center/spot) and AF point dial (single/sel/auto) from the K5 are gone forever.

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece
N.B. All my images are protected by Copyright

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads