Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 Mark II on A7rii

Started Aug 28, 2015 | Discussions
maxuci Contributing Member • Posts: 737
Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 Mark II on A7rii

I've seen a few tests of the 15mm f/4.5 Mark III on the A7riii, but I don't think I've seen any for the Mark II. (The Mark III is optimized for digital sensors, while the Mark II is not)

I did a controlled test with this lens on my A7 vs A7rii today. I am very happy with the results! BSI sensor makes a huge difference in color cast. Keep in mind that the Mark II is smaller and cheaper than the Mark III!

Camera settings:

Tripod

Manual focus (on brick chimney)

RAW

Aperture priority

ISO 100

WB Sunny

EV 0

Develop settings:

EV + 0.50

Lens Correction Lens Vignetting Amount: +100

Lens Correction Lens Vignetting Midpoint: +10

A7 f/4.5

A7 f/11

A7rii f/4.5

A7rii f/11

Sony a7 Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Lightfinity Regular Member • Posts: 380
Re: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 Mark II on A7rii

Looks like the color cast in the corners is... gone.  Pretty neat.  I think it's to be expected with the BSI design.

-- hide signature --
 Lightfinity's gear list:Lightfinity's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +2 more
dbm305 Senior Member • Posts: 1,749
Improved color caste and vignetting, but not corner smearing

It seems to be the case that the colour caste and vignetting on many lenses is improved or gone due to the BSI sensor, but not the corner smearing which is down to a mismatch between lens design and sensor glass thickness.

Of course that might be enough for many. Images without much corner detail will now be fine without tedious processing (and not entirely lossless processing either, as much of the image effectively gets pushed)

dbm305's gear list:dbm305's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Voigtlander 75mm F1.8 Heliar Classic Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +16 more
OP maxuci Contributing Member • Posts: 737
Re: Improved color caste and vignetting, but not corner smearing

dbm305 wrote:

It seems to be the case that the colour caste and vignetting on many lenses is improved or gone due to the BSI sensor, but not the corner smearing which is down to a mismatch between lens design and sensor glass thickness.

Of course that might be enough for many. Images without much corner detail will now be fine without tedious processing (and not entirely lossless processing either, as much of the image effectively gets pushed)

Yes, not only the purple in the corners, but notice the green "puke" blob at the top.  It is a royal pain to process the files on the A7.  Took several radial filters to accomplish and each image needed tweaking.

FF Pro
FF Pro Senior Member • Posts: 1,429
Re: Improved color caste and vignetting, but not corner smearing

Excellent post! This is great news. I am glad I spotted this post.

-- hide signature --

http://www.14fps.tv - My YouTube channel with a focus on Sony cameras.

FF Pro's gear list:FF Pro's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8
Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 4,649

Thanks for for showing this. I have the A7RII, A7II and the Voigt 15mm II as well. I'll have to give them a whirl this weekend to see the improvement. I bought the 15mm back when I has my Zeiss Ikon film camera and tried it on my original A7R but gave up on it pretty quickly.

Its been kind of kicking around for a while. Tried to sell it a few times but with the version III out no one appeared to be that interested. Have recently created a small bag with my A6000, Zeiss 24m f/1.8, 35mm f/2.8 (from my FF), and the CV 15 II. On that its a great lens. And the 22.5 FOV equivalent is nice.

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +25 more
somersetlad Regular Member • Posts: 254

Thank you very much for that - version III hard to find here, might just get II now.
John

somersetlad's gear list:somersetlad's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 12-24mm F4 +2 more
Kildras
Kildras Regular Member • Posts: 217

looks similar to the A7S with the green colour instead which is less noticable?

-- hide signature --

Welcome to have a look at my gallery:
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/7740447566
Still new and learning, any tips would be GREAT

Kildras's gear list:Kildras's gear list
Sony a7 III Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Voigtlander 21mm F1.8 Ultron Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +3 more
Swensonn Junior Member • Posts: 43

Ok, i almost bought the mark ii voigtlander 15mm. But then I saw a vid where they said there are some strange coloring because the sensors.

so will there be some strange colors on my Sony a7ii in combination with the 15mm mark 2?

thanks in advance!!

Swensonn's gear list:Swensonn's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,469

Swensonn wrote:

Ok, i almost bought the mark ii voigtlander 15mm. But then I saw a vid where they said there are some strange coloring because the sensors.

so will there be some strange colors on my Sony a7ii in combination with the 15mm mark 2?

Yes, only the A7RII has the BSI sensor which fixes the color casts.

The Kolari thin sensor mod will clean up corner detail for the most part, but will not fix color casts.

thanks in advance!!

-- hide signature --

Do Medium Format users wish they could get the Full Frame look?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130525441@N04/

FF Pro
FF Pro Senior Member • Posts: 1,429

What he said. Get The third version.

-- hide signature --

http://14fps.tv - My YouTube channel with a focus on Sony cameras.
http://14fps.com - My photography website.

FF Pro's gear list:FF Pro's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads