Is a metabones 4 adaptor necessary for an a7r to canon lenses

Started Aug 8, 2015 | Questions
stevie wonder
stevie wonder Contributing Member • Posts: 897
Is a metabones 4 adaptor necessary for an a7r to canon lenses

No text.

stevie wonder's gear list:stevie wonder's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +14 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Camley Senior Member • Posts: 1,790
Re: Is a metabones 4 adaptor necessary for an a7r to canon lenses

stevie wonder wrote:

No, I used a Metabones 3 with my a7 and a7II. Electronic coupling worked with all lenses and AF worked with some lenses such as the 40 f/2.8 pancake.

AF with this adapter is much better with my new a7RII.

Camley's gear list:Camley's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony a7R II
jaybr Senior Member • Posts: 1,591

Hello,

No.

The Metabones IV adapter is only really essential if your using stabilised lenses on a7ii and a7rii bodies. This is because the adapter provides the option to switch either the lens or in-body stabilisation systems on or off (only firmware 0.41 or later). All other adapters disable/enable both stabilisation systems, not one or the other, so if both are active you get over compensation. Brian Smith provides further details here:

http://briansmith.com/metabones-smart-adapter-mark-iv-firmware-update-0-41/

Lens compatibility is also another benefit of the Metabones IV, because it's USB upgradable. Here's another link from Brian Smith where he tested compatibility:

http://briansmith.com/canon-ef-to-sony-e-mount-smart-adapter-compatibility-guide/

Note: The Metabones III adapter's firmware can be upgraded to version 0.41 (or later) to give you the same firmware features as the Metabones IV adapter, but you need to send it back to Metabones for the upgrade (not user upgradable).

J

jaybr's gear list:jaybr's gear list
Sony a7R II Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +4 more
Mike Stratil Contributing Member • Posts: 906
Disappointed in A7RII AF with Canon lenses

I have just done some testing of my Canon 100-400 L II on my A7RII with both the Viltrox and Metabones III adapters. This lens did not perform very well with either adapter. When I put it on my Canon 5D3, it sparkled--very fast and reliable AF.

Perhaps the Metabones IV will do better. But right now I have to say I'm disappointed.

-- hide signature --

Michael S

Re: Disappointed in A7RII AF with Canon lenses

Hello,

The Canon 100-400mm II is listed as tested compatible with the Metabones IV with firmware version 0.41 or later:

http://briansmith.com/canon-ef-to-sony-e-mount-smart-adapter-compatibility-guide/

J

Sony a7R II Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +4 more

Yes, but general compatibility is not the issue. What I want to know is how fast the A7RII wil AF with this lens using a Metabones IV adapter. I have not see any reports of actual tests using this combination.

-- hide signature --

Michael S

Hello,

Fair enough.

Maybe pop in to a camera store that has a Metabones IV adapter, and try your lens there.

The Canon 100-400mm II is a great but pricey lens, and currently I don't think there are too many a7rii users who have the combination you want answers for. I could be wrong though.

J

neoroblitz Forum Member • Posts: 59

the latest metabones mk4 also offers better prevention for internal reflection and a bigger opening to allow better user of tilt shift lenses from what i understand.

sasoph Regular Member • Posts: 453

Mike Stratil wrote:

I have just done some testing of my Canon 100-400 L II on my A7RII with both the Viltrox and Metabones III adapters. This lens did not perform very well with either adapter.

Which MB firmware are you running?

sasoph's gear list:sasoph's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +56 more
ebrandon Regular Member • Posts: 459

jaybr wrote:

Hello,

No.

The Metabones IV adapter is only really essential if your using stabilised lenses on a7ii and a7rii bodies. This is because the adapter provides the option to switch either the lens or in-body stabilisation systems on or off (only firmware 0.41 or later). All other adapters disable/enable both stabilisation systems, not one or the other, so if both are active you get over compensation. Brian Smith provides further details here:

http://briansmith.com/metabones-smart-adapter-mark-iv-firmware-update-0-41/

Lens compatibility is also another benefit of the Metabones IV, because it's USB upgradable. Here's another link from Brian Smith where he tested compatibility:

Note: The Metabones III adapter's firmware can be upgraded to version 0.41 (or later) to give you the same firmware features as the Metabones IV adapter, but you need to send it back to Metabones for the upgrade (not user upgradable).

J

I know people have reported what you've written above (and very clearly too).

But it doesn't match my experience.  I have a Metabones III adapter with v30 firmware.

When I put the 70-200mm f4 IS Canon lens on the A7RII I get the following behavior:

- If both lens IS and camera IS are on I get overcompensation

- If I turn lens IS on (switch on lens) and camera IBIS off, it works great

- If I turn lens IS off (switch on lens) and camera IBIS on, it works great

ebrandon's gear list:ebrandon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Nikon D600 Canon EOS 6D +2 more

Hmm,

Thats interesting. It might be a good idea to forward your feedback to Brian Smith so he can test to confirm, and update his website.

J

timparkin Regular Member • Posts: 101

jaybr wrote:

Hmm,

Thats interesting. It might be a good idea to forward your feedback to Brian Smith so he can test to confirm, and update his website.

J

I've got the A7R and A7RII and a 5DS at the moment. I've got the Metbones III and IV. I tested using the 24-70 f/4 IS and I get corner shading on the metabones III using this lens at 24mm focussed on infinity (i.e. mechanical vignetting) which doesn't appear on the IV. Tested this on the Canon and A7Rii and it's consistent.

Thomas KP Lee
Thomas KP Lee Contributing Member • Posts: 510

Mike Stratil wrote:

I have just done some testing of my Canon 100-400 L II on my A7RII with both the Viltrox and Metabones III adapters. This lens did not perform very well with either adapter. When I put it on my Canon 5D3, it sparkled--very fast and reliable AF.

Perhaps the Metabones IV will do better. But right now I have to say I'm disappointed.

I also have my A7rII tested with Canon 100-400 L II and I also have both the Metabones III and Viltrox adaptors. This morning I tested on on most my Canon mount lenses:

All my Sigma/Tamron lenses are not working, either no AF or occasionally focus, but once press shutter the Camera locked up, these are:

Sigma APO EX DG 300-800 f5.6

Sigma 120-300 OS

Sigma 50-500 OS

Sigma 12-24 version I

Tamron 28-300 OS

Tamron 16-250 OS (APS-C, but newly out last year!)

Then on Canon lenses, I also found following lens not working for AF on these adapters:

Canon 14 f2.8 L version I

Canon 135 f2 L

Canon 300 f4 L IS

Canon 35-350 L

Other Canon lenses I tested to be working on AF, including the EF100-400 IS L II, EF 600 f4 IS L II, etc, need to use the larger focusing area group, otherwise, if select the smallest focusing area, then hunts more, especially when tested in not so bright environment. So this will be an issue to use A7rII with EF 600 f4 L IS II to shoot small birds! Somehow, I wish the A7rII can be a backup for 1Dx.

Furthermore, when using the only AF FE lens I have ; Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8, it has similar issue, that focus faster when using large focus area group, but hunts when using the smallest focusing area. This 55mm lens when used on my A7r also have a lot of hunting, but very little hunting on the A6000. I hope when I receive the two Batis lenses later, it will not have such hunting on small area focusing, as when using the 85 f1.8, suppose for portrait, will need to use small spot to focus on eye!

It seems there still things Sony need to improve on the sensor phase-detect AF.

I still have not decided to buy Metabones IV adapter, wish to see if it can solve those Sigma lens issues before buying it. Since A7r are working on all these lenses.

Thomas KP Lee's gear list:Thomas KP Lee's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Sony Alpha a99 Canon EOS 70D Sony a7R Sony a6000 +10 more
tjensen Forum Member • Posts: 81

Thomas KP Lee wrote:

Mike Stratil wrote:

I also have my A7rII tested with Canon 100-400 L II and I also have both the Metabones III and Viltrox adaptors. This morning I tested on on most my Canon mount lenses:

All my Sigma/Tamron lenses are not working, either no AF or occasionally focus, but once press shutter the Camera locked up, these are:

Sigma 120-300 OS

Sigma 50-500 OS

Sigma 12-24 version I

Tamron 28-300 OS

Then on Canon lenses, I also found following lens not working for AF on these adapters:

Canon 135 f2 L

Canon 300 f4 L IS

Canon 35-350 L

Other Canon lenses I tested to be working on AF, including the EF100-400 IS L II, EF 600 f4 IS L II, etc, need to use the larger focusing area group, otherwise, if select the smallest focusing area, then hunts more, especially when tested in not so bright environment. So this will be an issue to use A7rII with EF 600 f4 L IS II to shoot small birds! Somehow, I wish the A7rII can be a backup for 1Dx.

Furthermore, when using the only AF FE lens I have ; Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8, it has similar issue, that focus faster when using large focus area group, but hunts when using the smallest focusing area. This 55mm lens when used on my A7r also have a lot of hunting, but very little hunting on the A6000. I hope when I receive the two Batis lenses later, it will not have such hunting on small area focusing, as when using the 85 f1.8, suppose for portrait, will need to use small spot to focus on eye!

I still have not decided to buy Metabones IV adapter, wish to see if it can solve those Sigma lens issues before buying it. Since A7r are working on all these lenses.

Thanks for the info. You mention portraits, have you tried manual focus with peaking and magnification? It's become my favorite focus method by far, better than auto on any system. Obviously not for small (moving) birds but for more static images, with Sony / Zeiss lenses it's great for zeroing in on just the area you want. For Canon lenses it's an extra button press for magnification but it works well also.

tjensen's gear list:tjensen's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a7R II Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Rokinon 8mm F2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +3 more
Thanks

Thanks very much for this input. Very helpful.

I want to emphasize that I love the A7RII's IQ, focus peaking, size, and so on. I'm not disappointed in the camera overall, just in its AF with Canon lenses.

So it appears I will have to continue doing Canon lens AF with a Canon body. That's not a problem as I don't do much AF anyway.

-- hide signature --

Michael S

Thomas KP Lee
Thomas KP Lee Contributing Member • Posts: 510

tjensen wrote:

Thomas KP Lee wrote:

Mike Stratil wrote:

Sigma 120-300 OS

Sigma 50-500 OS

Sigma 12-24 version I

Tamron 28-300 OS

Canon 135 f2 L

Canon 300 f4 L IS

Canon 35-350 L

Thanks for the info. You mention portraits, have you tried manual focus with peaking and magnification? It's become my favorite focus method by far, better than auto on any system. Obviously not for small (moving) birds but for more static images, with Sony / Zeiss lenses it's great for zeroing in on just the area you want. For Canon lenses it's an extra button press for magnification but it works well also.

I have a lot of MF lenses that I used since NEX5, NEX7, A7r, this is why I do not buy many AF lens, as said, so far, Sony Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8 is the only FF AF lens I have. I have to wait for the two Batis to be available. For MF lenses, so far, all Contarex lenses are of the best, or  the Zeiss ZM lenses above 21mm. Nikon AIs lenses are among the best price/performance.

Thomas KP Lee's gear list:Thomas KP Lee's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Sony Alpha a99 Canon EOS 70D Sony a7R Sony a6000 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads