70D ad hoc wifi to Win7 PC intermittent success with pairing

Started Jul 7, 2015 | Questions
mbv Regular Member • Posts: 369
70D ad hoc wifi to Win7 PC intermittent success with pairing

I had set up an ad hoc wifi network for controlling 70D with EOS Utility (ver. 2.14.20) from my laptop running Windows 7. However pairing the devices looks like a matter of luck. Sometimes the pairing takes just seconds, sometimes about a minute, and sometimes no pairing at all and I have to go through the whole process of (manually) setting up  again the connection in the camera menu. I have no such trouble with the connection between the 70D and my Android phone running EOS Remote. The phone reliably finds the the camera in a few seconds. Is there something that I am missing in the connection setup for the laptop?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
johnblue3 Contributing Member • Posts: 577
Re: 70D ad hoc wifi to Win7 PC intermittent success with pairing

mbv wrote:

I had set up an ad hoc wifi network for controlling 70D with EOS Utility (ver. 2.14.20) from my laptop running Windows 7. However pairing the devices looks like a matter of luck. Sometimes the pairing takes just seconds, sometimes about a minute, and sometimes no pairing at all and I have to go through the whole process of (manually) setting up again the connection in the camera menu. I have no such trouble with the connection between the 70D and my Android phone running EOS Remote. The phone reliably finds the the camera in a few seconds. Is there something that I am missing in the connection setup for the laptop?

Perhaps you need to make sure that the laptop is not making an interim default connection to your main Wi-Fi network. Try forcing the laptop to forget other networks.

OP mbv Regular Member • Posts: 369

johnblue3 wrote:

mbv wrote:

I had set up an ad hoc wifi network for controlling 70D with EOS Utility (ver. 2.14.20) from my laptop running Windows 7. However pairing the devices looks like a matter of luck. Sometimes the pairing takes just seconds, sometimes about a minute, and sometimes no pairing at all and I have to go through the whole process of (manually) setting up again the connection in the camera menu. I have no such trouble with the connection between the 70D and my Android phone running EOS Remote. The phone reliably finds the the camera in a few seconds. Is there something that I am missing in the connection setup for the laptop?

Perhaps you need to make sure that the laptop is not making an interim default connection to your main Wi-Fi network. Try forcing the laptop to forget other networks.

Thank you for constructive input, johnblue3. Does not look like this is the cause --- I explicitly disconnected laptop from the home wlan and started the ad hoc network. After that the netstat does not show any communication with the default wlan.

In the meantime I think I found the proper sequence of steps to have the laptop and the camera find each other:

1. Launch the ad hoc network on the laptop.

2. Turn on the camera and enable (if was disabled) wifi. Do not get into the wifi function menu, just enable the wifi. This is assuming that the wifi function was set during previous sessions as the communication with the EOS Utility over the proper ad hoc wifi connection.

3. Turn off the camera.

4. Turn on the camera.

For reasons beyond my comprehension the pairing gets miraculously accomplished within a few seconds after the last two (admittedly senseless) steps!

I usually keep wifi disabled. The only (quasi)explanation of the above procedure is that it looks like enabling the wifi by itself is not sufficient. The wifi should be enabled when the camera is turned on (boot up?). Hence the steps 3 and 4 above.

P.S. Strangely, no such ritualistic off-on sequence is required when connecting to the Android app...

powerjp New Member • Posts: 3

Glad you found a working sequence.

I was never able to have it work. I end up brining my home router with me every time to connect with the win7 laptop.

Works fine but the kids at home complain a lot as they can't live without wifi...After a few hours disconnected from their mobile devices, they are completely incoherent and strangely they even start to talk with the people around them!

What kind of wifi range do you get? I think it is more limited in an ad hoc network.

OP mbv Regular Member • Posts: 369

powerjp wrote:

Glad you found a working sequence.

I was never able to have it work. I end up brining my home router with me every time to connect with the win7 laptop.

Works fine but the kids at home complain a lot as they can't live without wifi...After a few hours disconnected from their mobile devices, they are completely incoherent and strangely they even start to talk with the people around them!

What kind of wifi range do you get? I think it is more limited in an ad hoc network.

So far the sequence works, although a couple of times I had to repeat the off-on cycle twice. I did not try the range --- was glad to get it working within one room. I would guess at 10 - 12 feet with no obstacles in between I had no problem so far.

P.S. I thought a little more about you trouble, and it occurred to me what the cause may be. In my attempts to set up the network it was crucial that I did the setup completely manually and assigned the camera IP address and the subnet mask after using the command ipconfig /all on the laptop and looking up those used by the laptop. I manually set the subnet mask to match and the IP address differing by one unit. Maybe this can help you?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads