Another "dehaze" example.

Started Jun 23, 2015 | Discussions
dmanthree
dmanthree Veteran Member • Posts: 8,014
Another "dehaze" example.

I really like the dehaze function in ACR (I don't use LR). While not perfect, it does simplify the removal of haze in many shots. I took this one in Hawaii last week on a hazy day. The only adjustment was the dehaze tool, at 100%.

Default settings, straight from the camera via ACR.

Same image, dehaze set to 100%

I'd probably add a little more contrast and saturation to the image, but dehazing can work well.

John Szeto Senior Member • Posts: 1,918
Re: Another "dehaze" example.

DeHaze works well and you can get a similar function at Photoline 19 if you don't want to pay Adobe the high costs

mikes
mikes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,437

FWIW....I did a comparison with Corel and Athensoft. I think the deHaze is just another gimmick, This image just lacked contrast and vibrance.

dmanthree wrote:

I really like the dehaze function in ACR (I don't use LR). While not perfect, it does simplify the removal of haze in many shots. I took this one in Hawaii last week on a hazy day. The only adjustment was the dehaze tool, at 100%.

I'd probably add a little more contrast and saturation to the image, but dehazing can work well.

-- hide signature --

Only when you can criticize yourself, should you criticize others. Mikes.

dmanthree
OP dmanthree Veteran Member • Posts: 8,014

mikes wrote:

FWIW....I did a comparison with Corel and Athensoft. I think the deHaze is just another gimmick, This image just lacked contrast and vibrance.

There is a difference; note the absence of blue skies in your conversion.

dmanthree wrote:

-- hide signature --

mikes
mikes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,437

There is NO blue sky in the original photo! Therefore it would be inaccurate to add it back. I removed cyan in the clouds to make them gray. But if you are happy with your results via the dehaze, great! But I would suggest otherwise.

-- hide signature --

dmanthree

mikes wrote:

There is NO blue sky in the original photo! Therefore it would be inaccurate to add it back. I removed cyan in the clouds to make them gray. But if you are happy with your results via the dehaze, great! But I would suggest otherwise.

No, it isn't obvious, but there was blue sky in real life. The dehaze filter didn't add it, it just removed the haze.

nelar Junior Member • Posts: 42

For me, where dehaze really shines is when you use it as a filter from Photoshop and mask out the parts of the photo that don't benefit from the dehazing. If you can stand duplicating the image, you can apply different dehazing to different areas of an image. Unfortunately, Adobe still doesn't allow you to apply a mask to an individual filter, so maximum control over dehaze as well as other ACR capabilities are limited by how large you want your Photoshop file to get.

People's reactions to Dehaze reminds me of when Shake Reduction was introduced. Some people saw it as gimmicky and never learned when or how to use it. Those willing to spend the time would sometimes find it was the best tool for a problem photograph -- even for issues that had nothing to do with camera shake. Neither tool works well on every photograph -- but knowing when it does help just puts another possible tool in your arsenal.

Sunshine_boy
Sunshine_boy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,823

dmanthree wrote:

Here's my try (and practice on new dehaze filter) using Dehaze 60 and following up with CS6

Dehaze 60 + Normal CS6

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
ps If you see someone without a smile on, give him one of yours...

Sunshine_boy's gear list:Sunshine_boy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus C-4000 Zoom Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D60 Nikon D5200 +2 more
dmanthree

Sunshine_boy wrote:

Here's my try (and practice on new dehaze filter) using Dehaze 60 and following up with CS6

Dehaze 60 + Normal CS6

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
ps If you see someone without a smile on, give him one of yours...

Nicely done. Any of the mods in this thread are light years ahead of the OOC shot. Nice to be able to save an otherwise worthless shot.

larryis1 Contributing Member • Posts: 699

I used the dehaze plug in provided by one of our Forum members as I do not have the CC version of LR. I then applied the plug in version slider to several photos from my January trip to Iguazu Falls (Argentina). The original photos had a great deal of haze due to various environmental conditions. The plug in slider did a decent job in making the photos more presentable.

Here is the link to the plug in in case you did not see it earlier.

Take care, Larry

https://cutthruthefog.wordpress.com/lightroom-6-dehaze/

larryis1's gear list:larryis1's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 6D Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +17 more
Photog714
Photog714 Forum Member • Posts: 78

dmanthree wrote:

But note also the absence of green trees in the middleground of the dehaze conversion. Dehaze created a pronounced blue cast in the green foliage.

I think the lesson here is that you can't fix a hazy image like this with global adjustments. You have to deal with the sky separately from the rest of the image.

-- hide signature --

GCam Veteran Member • Posts: 8,684

Used Apply Image, no dehazing.  gc

dmanthree

Photog714 wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

But note also the absence of green trees in the middleground of the dehaze conversion. Dehaze created a pronounced blue cast in the green foliage.

I think the lesson here is that you can't fix a hazy image like this with global adjustments. You have to deal with the sky separately from the rest of the image.

Yes, it needed more work after the filter, but I posted to show what the dehazing filter can do on its own. The shot is savable through some good PP, with or without the dehaze filter.

lylejk
lylejk Forum Pro • Posts: 32,853
Not that hard to de-haze this image.

Auto-level, contrast mask biased towards the light areas, added some glow to the waterfall (personal choice and taste), boosted the yellows.    

lylejk's gear list:lylejk's gear list
Leica V-LUX 1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W7
dmanthree
Re: Not that hard to de-haze this image.

lylejk wrote:

Auto-level, contrast mask biased towards the light areas, added some glow to the waterfall (personal choice and taste), boosted the yellows.

Nice. I'm stealing some good advice and techniques from this thread! Love it.

Wayne Larmon Forum Pro • Posts: 10,429
V1 of dehaze from Thomas Knoll in 2003

AKA large radius USM. I read about it back in 2003 when it was described on Luminous Landscape:

I learned of it from Thomas Knoll, a member of a couple of my workshops during 2003, and not-incidently, the original author of Adobe Photoshop and Camera RAW. Thomas says that he certainly didn’t develop the technique, but I haven’t yet seen or read about it anywhere else, though it appears to have been around for a while.

(The article must have been updated in some way in 2009. I remember reading essentially the same article on LuLa in 2003 (or 2004.))

I've been using large radius USM ever since to dehaze images. Here is the original image with USM at 100%, radius of 100

This isn't as punchy as the one done with the new Dehaze tool, but it is a good starting point.

I'm a low tech Photoshop user: I use Smart Sharpen for regular sharpening and have USM set with a large radius for "dehazing."

Wayne

rockclimber87 New Member • Posts: 5

people just live to complain because they are not satisfied with their own lives and search for any excuse to play victim in hope of finding sympathy. It's very unfortunate, I actually used to be like this too. Any new tool is a good thing because no one is being forced to use it. I have used it the masking way (ACR filter on 16bit image) and it works very nicely.

Mark9473 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,986
Re: V1 of dehaze from Thomas Knoll in 2003

Wayne Larmon wrote:

AKA large radius USM. I read about it back in 2003 when it was described on Luminous Landscape

There is a difference in that a large radius USM increases local contrast in all parts of the image, whereas a dehaze filter only increases local contrast in the low-contrast parts of the image. That's at least how the dehaze filter in DxO's OpticsPro 10 works.

-- hide signature --

Mark

Mark9473's gear list:Mark9473's gear list
Canon G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +21 more
Wayne Larmon Forum Pro • Posts: 10,429
That's why I said 'V1'

Mark9473 wrote:

Wayne Larmon wrote:

AKA large radius USM. I read about it back in 2003 when it was described on Luminous Landscape

There is a difference in that a large radius USM increases local contrast in all parts of the image, whereas a dehaze filter only increases local contrast in the low-contrast parts of the image. That's at least how the dehaze filter in DxO's OpticsPro 10 works.

I figured that it would be more subtle. Like how the shadow and highlights sliders are more than a reverse S curve.

I'm sort of amazed that it took from 2003 to 2015 to add "only increases local contrast in the low-contrast parts of the image" to large radius USM.

Wayne

Don Boethel Regular Member • Posts: 172

DXO Pro 10 {Clear View} Plus other adjustments.

One more try.

-- hide signature --

DobB10

Don Boethel's gear list:Don Boethel's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads