Rumor: 5D Mark IV to be named 5DX.

Started Jun 20, 2015 | Discussions
MichaelVadon Senior Member • Posts: 1,225
Rumor: 5D Mark IV to be named 5DX.

Just got off the phone.. Looks like Canon is to name the 5D Mark IV 5DX. 28 megapixels, Digic 6+-basically a souped up version of 6 just to name a few.

X branded bodies will be for event and sports photography. S will be for studio, landscape, etc

These are only rumors for now.

daMatrix Contributing Member • Posts: 864
Re: Rumor: 5D Mark IV to be named 5DX.

What a coincident! I also just came of the phone; it was my mother. Her neighbour has a sister who is maried to men who used to live in Japan and he told her that his former neigbours cousin who works at Canon reveiled that the camera after 5Ds will be named 5Dz and will have a mirror on the front for selfies.

In other words; I fail to see why Canon would release a 28 Mp camera in a series where they just released a 50Mp camera.

GaryJP
GaryJP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,602
Re: Rumor: Likely to be at least partly true.

As people have said here before, "four" is a homonym for death in Japan and China.

You will frequently, though not always, find it skipped in naming conventions.

-- hide signature --
 GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony RX100 II Canon G1 X II Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon G7 X II +15 more
Fri13 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,116

So it should be more than 28Mpix.... Less than 50Mpix?

hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,328

MichaelVadon wrote:

Just got off the phone.. Looks like Canon is to name the 5D Mark IV 5DX. 28 megapixels, Digic 6+-basically a souped up version of 6 just to name a few.

X branded bodies will be for event and sports photography. S will be for studio, landscape, etc

Sounds very interesting. Any word on frames per second? I assume they fixed that stupid SD slot and added anti-flicker technology.

And 28 megapixels is more than satisfactory for me; honestly, the present 22.2 megapixels on the present 5D III is pretty sweet for real world photographers.

-- hide signature --
 hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
expro Senior Member • Posts: 1,818

For me it heavily depends on the quality of the pixels...

if they were equal or better than the current 1dx pixels then I would be interested... Maybe...

expro's gear list:expro's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +7 more
steelhead3 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,653

This name change is really exciting.

steelhead3's gear list:steelhead3's gear list
Sony a77 II
moranjr Regular Member • Posts: 419

Does this mean it's compatible with Nikon DX lenses? 

moranjr's gear list:moranjr's gear list
Ricoh GR II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +11 more
Jeff Peterman
Jeff Peterman Forum Pro • Posts: 12,884
Re: Rumor: 5D Mark IV to be named Fred.

Does the name for the new model matter at this point? There are other things, such as which year it will be released, that concern us more.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +18 more
Jeff Peterman

But IV does not mean four in Chinese or Japanese, so why is there a problem?

-- hide signature --

Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +18 more
1Dx4me Senior Member • Posts: 7,241
Re: Rumor: 5D Mark IV to be named 5DX.'t believe that canon will

daMatrix wrote:

What a coincident! I also just came of the phone; it was my mother. Her neighbour has a sister who is maried to men who used to live in Japan and he told her that his former neigbours cousin who works at Canon reveiled that the camera after 5Ds will be named 5Dz and will have a mirror on the front for selfies.

In other words; I fail to see why Canon would release a 28 Mp camera in a series where they just released a 50Mp camera.

LOL, a good one, but i am certain that the next 5X is not going to have near 50MP sensor! however, it'll have good DR, probably 10 f/sec, excellent focus and about 34MP FF sensor, ya know, things that guys like here in canon forum but if one thing i have learned about canon, they always like to leave you a little short, never a full featured camera that everyone would like to have!

OP MichaelVadon Senior Member • Posts: 1,225

Anything 4 is bad in Asia in general. Some placea more than others.

J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 14,950

And will still be shipped the 3rd quarter?

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3840834

dennis tennis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,783

If it has even better AF, dual pixel AF so live view shooting/video would be better, then 28 MP at 10+ fps is a winner

I"m not going to hold my breath for DR at low ISO as good as Sony but at higher ISO, if DR and noise are the same as Sony, that's fine.

-- hide signature --

refugee from the Nikon Df dial and grip police

iShootWideOpen
iShootWideOpen Regular Member • Posts: 357

MichaelVadon wrote:

That was me over the phone. I lied about the whole thing.

iShootWideOpen's gear list:iShootWideOpen's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +13 more
GaryJP

Jeff Peterman wrote:

But IV does not mean four in Chinese or Japanese, so why is there a problem?

Because no one walks into a shop and asks for a 5D Mark Eye Vee.  
In Cantonese, a common term for "Oh sh*t" is (rough transcription) "Say-la" ... homonym for both "Four" and "Die".  
It's superstition. Why try to apply logic? 
Some manufacturers, like Olympus, seem to follow it more than others.

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm X10 Sony RX100 II Canon G1 X II Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon G7 X II +15 more
leica f64
leica f64 Regular Member • Posts: 292

dennis tennis wrote:

If it has even better AF, dual pixel AF so live view shooting/video would be better, then 28 MP at 10+ fps is a winner

I"m not going to hold my breath for DR at low ISO as good as Sony but at higher ISO, if DR and noise are the same as Sony, that's fine.

Canon has sort of let it be known that they don't want it competing with the 1Dc so I think you can kiss the dual pix AF. They also leaked that there will be a cine version of the 5D to follow the 5D4/5DX.

leica f64's gear list:leica f64's gear list
Leica Q Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +7 more
Jeff Peterman

In my film days, the top model of the Olympus line, and my dream camera, was an OM-4.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Keith Z Leonard Veteran Member • Posts: 6,134

moranjr wrote:

Does this mean it's compatible with Nikon DX lenses?

Only 5 of them.  

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 400D +16 more
GaryJP

"You will frequently, though not always, find it skipped in naming conventions."

Jeff Peterman wrote:

In my film days, the top model of the Olympus line, and my dream camera, was an OM-4.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads