Soft release button drains battery even if OFF !

Started Apr 2, 2015 | Discussions
hendriximages
hendriximages Regular Member • Posts: 180
Soft release button drains battery even if OFF !

Dears

Just like to share this, as i know many of youse using a soft release on your Fuji's (ran a quick search here before posting, but couldn't find conclusive threads ...)

Sadly I gotta stop using a soft release button on my X100T, coz the battery drains overnight with the camera in its bag and the main switch OFF (and yes, I triple checked that one !)

Had this with my X-Pro1 and X100S too and my AD confirmed that he'd heard of such cases too, so it seems to be a structural issue that the camera pulls juice when release button is pressed with main switch off ...

Any ideas ? Did read on other forum that some people take the battery out, but then I fear the data protection battery (which can only be replaced by service) will drain ...

Many thanks & best rgds

-- hide signature --

http://www.hendriximages.com
Where Shadows Fall, There's Light !

hendriximages's gear list:hendriximages's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +7 more
dmaclau Senior Member • Posts: 2,909
Re: Soft release button drains battery even if OFF !

this is the first I've heard of this.  I have a soft release on my X-100 and no problems.  Are you storing the camera where the release button is pressed or does just screwing it in drain the battery?

dmaclau's gear list:dmaclau's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
ScottD1964 Senior Member • Posts: 1,932

I've had soft releases on both my X100S and X-E2 since I got them in 2013 and never had any battery drain issues with them mounted. Unless your camera has some sort of internal dead short I can't figure out how an external shutter button would cause an internal system drain.

ScottD1964's gear list:ScottD1964's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +1 more
Vic Chapman Forum Pro • Posts: 10,694

I've never had the problem myself but might it be less a matter of the button pushing down when packed away than some sort of expansion of the button (maybe with an over-tight softie) preventing the shutter button from returning to its upright off position and preventing the camera's main switch from fully turning off. Just a thought.

-- hide signature --

The sky is full of holes that let the rain get in, the holes are very small - that's why the rain is thin.
Spike Milligan

Vic Chapman's gear list:Vic Chapman's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +11 more
Marcos Villaroman Veteran Member • Posts: 6,091

hendriximages wrote:

Dears

Just like to share this, as i know many of youse using a soft release on your Fuji's (ran a quick search here before posting, but couldn't find conclusive threads ...)

Sadly I gotta stop using a soft release button on my X100T, coz the battery drains overnight with the camera in its bag and the main switch OFF (and yes, I triple checked that one !)

Had this with my X-Pro1 and X100S too and my AD confirmed that he'd heard of such cases too, so it seems to be a structural issue that the camera pulls juice when release button is pressed with main switch off ...

Any ideas ? Did read on other forum that some people take the battery out, but then I fear the data protection battery (which can only be replaced by service) will drain ...

Many thanks & best rgds

I've heard that if the shutter button is depressed --- even with the switch in the off position --- the battery would drain faster.

Easy test:  put the camera on a shelf with the soft release attached, but, nothing causing the shutter button to be depressed and see if the battery drains faster.

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +60 more
mr moonlight Senior Member • Posts: 1,789

I have a soft release that I never remove on my XP1, X100, and X100T. Never had an issue with battery drain.

hendriximages
OP hendriximages Regular Member • Posts: 180

Marcos Villaroman wrote:

I've heard that if the shutter button is depressed --- even with the switch in the off position --- the battery would drain faster.

Easy test: put the camera on a shelf with the soft release attached, but, nothing causing the shutter button to be depressed and see if the battery drains faster.

Hi Marcos !

Thanks for your advice - yep, tried that last week & damn, it didn't drain ! See many comments that others ain't experiencing this issue, so assume it's coz my BlackRapid SnapR35 baggie tends to press onto the soft release when the cam's in the bag (tight fit with bottom part of Fuji case attached, lol) ...

So, now I'm gonna flag this one to Fuji & see what they come up with: either it's known, or i gotta send my beloved X100T in for servicing (keepin' fingers crossed ...)

Meanwhile thanks All for your constructive comments & advice; I'll report back here as soon as i get reply from Fuji !

Best rgds

Hendrik

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +7 more
jrk
jrk Senior Member • Posts: 2,966

Never heard of this before, I have soft releases on my X100, X-E1, and X-E2.  No issues at all.

jrk's gear list:jrk's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +12 more
skrause Regular Member • Posts: 188

Hi Hendrik,

Sorry to hear about your problem. I'm glad you figured out the cause of it. However, I don't understand what Fuji could/should do about bags that are too tight to hold a camera with a soft shutter or how they could service the camera so that this doesn't happen any more. New bag maybe? Just a thought.

Best regards,

Stefan

hendriximages wrote:

Marcos Villaroman wrote:

Easy test: put the camera on a shelf with the soft release attached, but, nothing causing the shutter button to be depressed and see if the battery drains faster.

Hi Marcos !

Thanks for your advice - yep, tried that last week & damn, it didn't drain ! See many comments that others ain't experiencing this issue, so assume it's coz my BlackRapid SnapR35 baggie tends to press onto the soft release when the cam's in the bag (tight fit with bottom part of Fuji case attached, lol) ...

So, now I'm gonna flag this one to Fuji & see what they come up with: either it's known, or i gotta send my beloved X100T in for servicing (keepin' fingers crossed ...)

Meanwhile thanks All for your constructive comments & advice; I'll report back here as soon as i get reply from Fuji !

Best rgds

Hendrik

skrause's gear list:skrause's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital III Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T3 +29 more
davidge Regular Member • Posts: 190

I've had this problem with my X-E1. After investigating what I found was that I could turn the camera on by rotating the soft release button (and thus of course the shutter button). The On/Off switch around the button does not move and thus still shows off, but the camera is on. I don't know if this is just my X-E1 or is a universal 'feature'.

I noticed that as I pushed the camera into a pouch or bag the button was rotating as it caught on the inner lining and so turning the camera on. So I no longer use a soft release button.

davidge's gear list:davidge's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +10 more
BRPWS Contributing Member • Posts: 626

hendriximages wrote:

Dears

Many thanks & best rgds

I have had soft releases on all my Fuji X bodies including the xt1 and have never, ever experienced a problem of battery drain in the camera bag unless the camera somehow turned on.

-- hide signature --

Elliot

BRPWS's gear list:BRPWS's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +1 more

I know this sound silly, but another poster said to stick the camera on a shelf and see what happens.  Take it one more step and take a piece of gaffer tape or what ever and tape the button down and see if the battery drains.

With the camera off, it should not drain if the button is depressed.  I have never heard of that happening and if it is happeniing then another poster is probably right about a short.

Do the same to experiments with the soft release not attached.  By the way what is the brand of your soft release?  It could be that it sits too high.

-- hide signature --

Elliot

Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +1 more
gennfiks Junior Member • Posts: 27

Hi I had this exact problem and it was posted before. If the camera is in high performance mode, which means that it wakes up much faster when turned on, then the camera is never off, even when the on-off switch is in off position. That is the reason that when the soft release is pressed, when the camera is in the case, the battery is drained. If you turn off the high performance mode it will not happen any longer. And the battery life improves quite dramatically. Try it. I have 100s. Cheers.

gennfiks wrote:

Hi I had this exact problem and it was posted before. If the camera is in high performance mode, which means that it wakes up much faster when turned on, then the camera is never off, even when the on-off switch is in off position. That is the reason that when the soft release is pressed, when the camera is in the case, the battery is drained. If you turn off the high performance mode it will not happen any longer. And the battery life improves quite dramatically. Try it. I have 100s. Cheers.

That is  very interesting.  If that is the case then Fuji has been lax in advising their customer base.  Thanks for the information.  By the way where did you find this out?

-- hide signature --

Elliot

gennfiks Junior Member • Posts: 27

BRPWS wrote:

gennfiks wrote:

That is very interesting. If that is the case then Fuji has been lax in advising their customer base. Thanks for the information. By the way where did you find this out?

Hi Eliot, I bought a soft release and took it off after suffering a battery drain. I am not sure if it was this forum or another fujix specific forum where the issue of high performance mode was discussed. After few experiments the veridity was confirmed by me. I placed soft release back on, turned off high performance mode and have been living happily ever after. Price you pay is a slightly slower start up time of the camera. But I trust you gain quite a bit of battery life and a possibility to use a soft release. I know for sure that when my camera is inside the Fuji leather case with the soft release button on the release button is always being depressed.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

gennfiks wrote:

BRPWS wrote:

gennfiks wrote:

That is very interesting. If that is the case then Fuji has been lax in advising their customer base. Thanks for the information. By the way where did you find this out?

Hi Eliot, I bought a soft release and took it off after suffering a battery drain. I am not sure if it was this forum or another fujix specific forum where the issue of high performance mode was discussed. After few experiments the veridity was confirmed by me. I placed soft release back on, turned off high performance mode and have been living happily ever after. Price you pay is a slightly slower start up time of the camera. But I trust you gain quite a bit of battery life and a possibility to use a soft release. I know for sure that when my camera is inside the Fuji leather case with the soft release button on the release button is always being depressed.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

thanks for the clarification.  I appreciate it.

-- hide signature --

Elliot

deednets Forum Pro • Posts: 10,438

hendriximages wrote:

Dears

Many thanks & best rgds

You posted this on 1. April, or am I on the wrong planet because of my being on the wrong side of the International Date Line?

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +7 more
hendriximages

deednets wrote:

You posted this on 1. April, or am I on the wrong planet because of my being on the wrong side of the International Date Line?

Deed

Hi Deed!

LOL, didn't make that connection no, nothing to do with apr1 - although when my battery was dead 3 times in a row it would've been appropriate!

best rgds

-- hide signature --

hendriximages

gennfiks wrote:

Hi gennfiks!

Thanks for your message, great information! So, I'm gonna try this now & if the battery drain don't happen I'm sure one happy camper! Will let y'all know!

Best rgds

-- hide signature --

hendriximages
Re: Soft release button drains battery SOLVED, thanks gennfiks !

hendriximages wrote:

Hi gennfiks!

Thanks for your message, great information! So, I'm gonna try this now & if the battery drain don't happen I'm sure one happy camper! Will let y'all know!

Best rgds

Hi gennfiks / hi All !

It worked ! No kidding, I switched the high performance mode (HPM) OFF, screwed in the soft release, stuck the X100T in its bag, confirmed camera's OFF before closing the bag (hearing the "click" as the shutter was depressed) and left it to stew in its juice overnight. Come morning: Battery still on 3 bars - cool !!! (before this I'd consistently gotten a dead battery for my trouble ...)

So gennfiks is right, that with HPM ON the camera shutter release is not hard cut-off from the electronic circuit & battery drains in case shutter release's pressed inadvertently.

As I anyway switch OFF the camera when carrying it between taking photos, I don't mind the switched OFF HPM (HPM only has an influence on the "wake up time" after the camera has gone into sleep mode; couldn't detect any effect on AF speed, data write speed to SD, etc. Maybe they should rename it to "fast wake-up from sleep mode", or something ...)

So, good news for me & for all fans of soft release buttons, thanks again to gennfiks for the good advice !

Best rgds

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads