D7200 Sensor, Toshiba or Sony?

Started Mar 5, 2015 | Discussions
ImageAmateur Veteran Member • Posts: 4,916
D7200 Sensor, Toshiba or Sony?

I have been looking around on the net and cannot find a definitive statement, has anyone found a confirmation about which manufacturer it is?

Thank you.

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

ImageAmateur's gear list:ImageAmateur's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Phase One Capture One Pro
Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
pacnwhobbyist Contributing Member • Posts: 746
Re: D7200 Sensor, Toshiba or Sony?

Sony. Same one as in the D5500.

pacnwhobbyist's gear list:pacnwhobbyist's gear list
Nikon D3500 Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR
OP ImageAmateur Veteran Member • Posts: 4,916
Re: D7200 Sensor, Toshiba or Sony? Thanks

pacnwhobbyist wrote:

Thank you, would be good. Where were you able to confirm this?

Thx

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

pacnwhobbyist Contributing Member • Posts: 746
Re: D7200 Sensor, Toshiba or Sony? Thanks

The dimensions of the sensor are different from the one in the D7100 and are exactly the same as the one in the D5500. I mean that doesn't 100% confirm it's the same Sony sensor, but all signs point to that it is.

pacnwhobbyist's gear list:pacnwhobbyist's gear list
Nikon D3500 Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR
Re: D7200 Sensor, Toshiba or Sony? Thanks again

pacnwhobbyist wrote:

The dimensions of the sensor are different from the one in the D7100 and are exactly the same as the one in the D5500. I mean that doesn't 100% confirm it's the same Sony sensor, but all signs point to that it is.

Thanks. Well, if it is this sensor, I am getting it. Exactly what I am after, I cant use my D300 past ISO 400 to my satisfaction (IQ at ISO800+ in low light not good). And need the high ISO quality for sports, with low light without flash. But I do want an APS-C body. And the fps , buffer (D7100 was too small for me) and focus updated would suit me nicely.

This sensor would really work for me.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2015/02/22/nikon-d5500-gallery-posted-losing-the-fear-of-high-iso

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

jb1677 Forum Member • Posts: 67

No confirmation but imaging resource claims its the same sensor as the 7100

HERE "Nikon D7200 retains much the same image sensor as featured in the D7100, although its pixel counts do differ ever so slightly thanks to slight adjustments in sensor masking. But while the sensor is unchanged"

jb1677 wrote:

No confirmation but imaging resource claims its the same sensor as the 7100

HERE "Nikon D7200 retains much the same image sensor as featured in the D7100, although its pixel counts do differ ever so slightly thanks to slight adjustments in sensor masking. But while the sensor is unchanged"

Thank you. Still, I am hoping for the other sensor.. 

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

ImageAmateur wrote:

I have been looking around on the net and cannot find a definitive statement, has anyone found a confirmation about which manufacturer it is?

Thank you.

Well, I emailed Nikon the question, hopefully they will reply. I will let you know what they say.

Regards

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

SirEddy Junior Member • Posts: 29

Every time I think I have an answer to this burning question it ends up being a different answer.  I will be following this thread.

SirEddy's gear list:SirEddy's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more

SirEddy wrote:

Every time I think I have an answer to this burning question it ends up being a different answer. I will be following this thread.

You know    .

Some may say, nah, it does not matter, both should be good, but seeing those D5500 samples... I know which one I would prefer.

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

Jim Holtz Senior Member • Posts: 1,110
Re: I'll put my money on a Sony sensor.

ImageAmateur wrote:

Thank you.

IR has a gallery shots using the new D5500 with NEF available for several high ISO images. There is a new free version of View NX 2 that recognizes and processes D5500 RAW files. To my eyes, 12,800 jpegs extracted from raw with light processing and light noise reduction are better than D7000/D7100 ISO 6400 images by a significant margin. That was pixel peeping the images for any faults.

Since the sensor specs exactly match the D5500 Sony sensor, I can't imagine why Nikon would invest any more time with the Toshiba sensor. My opinion, if they stay with the Toshiba sensor in the D7200, high ISO mage quality won't be as good as the D5500 produces. It doesn't make sense to me.

Time will tell.

Jim

Jim Holtz's gear list:Jim Holtz's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3
Re: I'll put my money on a Sony sensor. agree

Jim Holtz wrote:

ImageAmateur wrote:

Thank you.

IR has a gallery shots using the new D5500 with NEF available for several high ISO images. There is a new free version of View NX 2 that recognizes and processes D5500 RAW files. To my eyes, 12,800 jpegs extracted from raw with light processing and light noise reduction are better than D7000/D7100 ISO 6400 images by a significant margin. That was pixel peeping the images for any faults.

Since the sensor specs exactly match the D5500 Sony sensor, I can't imagine why Nikon would invest any more time with the Toshiba sensor. My opinion, if they stay with the Toshiba sensor in the D7200, high ISO mage quality won't be as good as the D5500 produces. It doesn't make sense to me.

Time will tell.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I agree with your assessment, hence, why I am hoping for that D5500 sensor in the D7200 also.

Here is a link, that would corroborate what poster 'Pac.. ' above is saying... the two sensor specs seem identical...

http://www.digicamdb.com/compare/nikon_d5500-vs-nikon_d7200/

As opposed to this D7100 vs D7200, close, but enough variations to make one think that it is more likely the D5500 sensor, more 'matches' across the specs?

http://www.digicamdb.com/compare/nikon_d7100-vs-nikon_d7200/

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,084

I really do hope no one loses any sleep over this issue.

Jim Holtz Senior Member • Posts: 1,110

historianx wrote:

I really do hope no one loses any sleep over this issue.

No sleep, just no sale if its not Sony.

Jim

Jim Holtz's gear list:Jim Holtz's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3
ron wrucke
ron wrucke Senior Member • Posts: 1,065
Hogan says "Toshiba" .. :-(

ImageAmateur wrote:

We're looking but can't find anything very definitive .. and if we do, we don't want to believe it ..

Thom Hogan put up a 'short' blurb about the D7200 announcement, and included a link to a data sheet I assume he prepared:

http://www.dslrbodies.com/cameras/current-camera-database/nikon-d7100-specifications.html

The referenced sheet says the Sensor is "Toshiba 5105" ...

I realize that Thom is off in the woods somewhere, so I'm hoping he 'assumed' something and did so incorrectly .. ??

ron wrucke's gear list:ron wrucke's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +2 more
jb1677 Forum Member • Posts: 67
Re: Hogan says "Toshiba" .. :-(

ron wrucke wrote:

ImageAmateur wrote:

We're looking but can't find anything very definitive .. and if we do, we don't want to believe it ..

Thom Hogan put up a 'short' blurb about the D7200 announcement, and included a link to a data sheet I assume he prepared:

http://www.dslrbodies.com/cameras/current-camera-database/nikon-d7100-specifications.html

The referenced sheet says the Sensor is "Toshiba 5105" ...

I realize that Thom is off in the woods somewhere, so I'm hoping he 'assumed' something and did so incorrectly .. ??

That would make two confirmations of Toshiba by decent sites (Thom's and imaging-resource).  Has anyone reputable stated it was a Sony sensor?

ron wrucke

jb1677 wrote:

That would make two confirmations of Toshiba by decent sites (Thom's and imaging-resource). Has anyone reputable stated it was a Sony sensor?

I've been following the Imaging-Resource discussion following their review.  Several posters have said "Sony", but I have yet to see a 'reliable source' for the statements .. ??

Nikon D100 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +2 more
Flashlight Veteran Member • Posts: 8,169
What is the downside of the Toshiba?

Didn't follow the discussion on this, but might get a D7200. Is it banding when pulling a 5 stops underexposed image or something more serious?

-- hide signature --

Philip

rwl408 Senior Member • Posts: 1,848

Apparently Thom used his D7100 spec. as the base, with updates, for D7200. It could be that the sensor information is not know and he just kept the entry unmodified. Oddly enough his D5500 spec. has the sensor from Toshiba but DP Review seems to think it is from Sony. I don't know who is right.

ron wrucke
Was the D5500 sensor ever confirmed as Sony??

pacnwhobbyist wrote:

.. I was initially interested in the D7200 sensor, but since you mention it, I can't even find any reliable source that confirms that the D5500 sensor is a Sony sensor.  Can you point me in the right direction?

Here we all are hoping that the D7200 is using the Sony sensor employed in the D5500, and I can't find any confirmation that the D5500 sensor is actually Sony ..   Maybe the sensor in both the D5500 and the D7200 is the D7100 Toshiba sensor and the IQ improvements being reported is due to some tweeking and the removal of the AA filter .. ??

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads