Autofocus problems 7D II cause frustration (poor with fast lenses, artificial light)

Started Nov 8, 2014 | Discussions
brandagnostickk
brandagnostickk Junior Member • Posts: 30
Autofocus problems 7D II cause frustration (poor with fast lenses, artificial light)

Hi,

I just bought a 7 D II to replace my old backup crop Canon (was a 50d). I have to say I kind of seem to have been mislead by agressive marketing.

The camera has some serious issues with fast lenses. Both a Canon EF 100mm / 2 and a Canon EF 85mm / 1.2 are misfocussing when used wide open way too many times. Using single shot.

Tried to eliminate my errors on a tripod and under bright (if grey) daylight and it does persist.

The 50D focuses perfectly with the same lenses.

Slower lenses, such as the 2.8 zooms are no issue, but it is unreliable with fast lenses. And all my favorite lenses are fast.

Now I wonder if I have bought the dark brother to the notorious ill-focussing 70D variants, which I avoided just because of this.

Then yesterday night I shot some dancing action (obviously poor light) and the keeper rate was abysmal with servo AF, using 70-200/2.8.

This morning me and my neighbor who bought his 7 D II even earlier than myself shot his dogs with the 70-200 and both worked fine. So we then assumed there might be the old issue with reddish artificial light and - yep, the camera seems to get unreliable when confronted with a certain orange light.

While I find many features nice in this camera, an unreliable autofocus system sucks big time. I bought it exactly for it's AF system, which now fails on me.

I think I will ask for a replacement camera, since I certainly do not want to spend any more time testing a product with obvious quality control issues. I do hope, the second item will be better and I can just take pictures.

Does anyone here have similar issues ?

Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rndman Senior Member • Posts: 1,595
Re: Autofocus problems 7D II cause frustration (poor with fast lenses, artificial light)

brandagnostickk wrote:

Hi,

I just bought a 7 D II to replace my old backup crop Canon (was a 50d). I have to say I kind of seem to have been mislead by agressive marketing.

The camera has some serious issues with fast lenses. Both a Canon EF 100mm / 2 and a Canon EF 85mm / 1.2 are misfocussing when used wide open way too many times. Using single shot.

Tried to eliminate my errors on a tripod and under bright (if grey) daylight and it does persist.

Slower lenses, such as the 2.8 zooms are no issue, but it is unreliable with fast lenses. And all my favorite lenses are fast.

Now I wonder if I have bought the dark brother to the notorious ill-focussing 70D variants, which I avoided just because of this.

Then yesterday night I shot some dancing action (obviously poor light) and the keeper rate was abysmal with servo AF, using 70-200/2.8.

This morning me and my neighbor who bought his 7 D II even earlier than myself shot his dogs with the 70-200 and both worked fine. So we then assumed there might be the old issue with reddish artificial light and - yep, the camera seems to get unreliable when confronted with a certain orange light.

While I find many features nice in this camera, an unreliable autofocus system sucks big time. I bought it exactly for it's AF system, which now fails on me.

I think I will ask for a replacement camera, since I certainly do not want to spend any more time testing a product with obvious quality control issues. I do hope, the second item will be better and I can just take pictures.

OMG. Here we go again... (Is this 2009.... Noooo)

rndman's gear list:rndman's gear list
Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Rokinon 8mm F3.5 Aspherical Fisheye
Alastair Norcross Veteran Member • Posts: 7,097
Re: Autofocus problems 7D II cause frustration (poor with fast lenses, artificial light)

MFA? ITR?
--
As the length of a thread approaches 150, the probability that someone will make the obvious "it's not the camera, it's the photographer" remark approaches 1.

Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) +26 more
Michael Aos Regular Member • Posts: 199

Similar "issue" -- all of my lenses seemed to "just work" on the 70D, so I never even investigated the micro-focus adjustment feature.

It sure FEELS like my pictures now with the 7D Mark II simply aren't focused as well.

I'm annoyed that I apparently have to MFA all my lenses, but right now I'm expecting MFA to fix everything.

Michael Aos's gear list:Michael Aos's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +14 more

Mine focuses perfectly with my 35 F2 IS and 85 F1.8. Haven't had a chance yet to test tracking.
--
As the length of a thread approaches 150, the probability that someone will make the obvious "it's not the camera, it's the photographer" remark approaches 1.

Alastair
Equipment in profile

Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) +26 more
riknash Veteran Member • Posts: 6,874

Michael Aos wrote:

Similar "issue" -- all of my lenses seemed to "just work" on the 70D, so I never even investigated the micro-focus adjustment feature.

It sure FEELS like my pictures now with the 7D Mark II simply aren't focused as well.

I'm annoyed that I apparently have to MFA all my lenses, but right now I'm expecting MFA to fix everything.

Ya that can be a real annoyance. Alternatively you could pack up all your lenses and bodies and send it in to Canon Service to be aligned. Then you won't be annoyed with having to MFA but will be without gear for a seemingly infinitely long time. Another alternative would be to return this 7D II copy for another.  My experience with the 7D was that no two bodies will have the same amount of MFA with the same lens. You might get lucky.

riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x HTC One

rndman wrote:

brandagnostickk wrote:

Hi,

What are you saying? He's not allowed to report his problem on this gear forum specific to the model he has acquired? That you are in denial of the problem that some experienced in 2009?

Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x HTC One
rndman Senior Member • Posts: 1,595

riknash wrote:

rndman wrote:

brandagnostickk wrote:

Hi,

What are you saying? He's not allowed to report his problem on this gear forum specific to the model he has acquired? That you are in denial of the problem that some experienced in 2009?

No. It's just that I just saw "Live, Die,Repeat"....

rndman's gear list:rndman's gear list
Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Rokinon 8mm F3.5 Aspherical Fisheye
R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 19,757

brandagnostickk wrote:

You had trouble with a 70D also?  With the same lenses?

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 II
brandagnostickk
OP brandagnostickk Junior Member • Posts: 30

Alastair Norcross wrote:

MFA? ITR?
--

Alastair
Equipment in profile

In camera adjustment seems a poor workaround for the artificial light issues. I can adjust the lenses to work better, but then they are off under daylight. I guess you understand that it's not my target to adjust MFA every day and night.

The 7D2 issues with my fast lenses are not possible to cover by using MFA in camera. It seems random to a degree.

brandagnostickk
OP brandagnostickk Junior Member • Posts: 30

R2D2 wrote:

brandagnostickk wrote:

You had trouble with a 70D also? With the same lenses?

No I never owned a 70D, just because I read of so many users who had issues with fast lenses and was scared to run into this as I hate these testing things. My equipment dealer actually was aware of the problem as well. And as far as I can gather it is still unresolved there.

brandagnostickk wrote:

Alastair Norcross wrote:

MFA? ITR?
--

Alastair
Equipment in profile

In camera adjustment seems a poor workaround for the artificial light issues. I can adjust the lenses to work better, but then they are off under daylight. I guess you understand that it's not my target to adjust MFA every day and night.

The 7D2 issues with my fast lenses are not possible to cover by using MFA in camera. It seems random to a degree.

I didn't mean to suggest that MFA and iTR would necessarily fix the problem. I was asking whether you were using those things. I would be interested to know whether, and how, iTR affects your issue in artificial light. If your problem with fast lenses seems random, then MFA clearly won't fix it. If, after some more controlled testing, your problems remain, you should probably just exchange the camera. I haven't seen other reports of these specific problems with the 7DII, so, with any luck, it's a random defect, and you'll get a properly working one in exchange.

-- hide signature --

Alastair
Equipment in profile

R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 19,757

brandagnostickk wrote:

No I never owned a 70D, just because I read of so many users who had issues with fast lenses and was scared to run into this as I hate these testing things. My equipment dealer actually was aware of the problem as well. And as far as I can gather it is still unresolved there.

You can get a bad copy of anything.  Start by exchanging your 7D2.

The vast majority of 70D owners have been tickled pink.  My own has a nearly 100% hit rate on static subjects (with my fast lenses).  And much better consistency than my 50D with moving subjects (about double the keeper percentage).

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 II
Brian Greenstone Forum Member • Posts: 68

I just got my 7D II yesterday, so I only had a few hours to play with it before the sun set, however, I was seeing some major focusing issues with my EFS 17-85 lens.  My previous camera was an old 450D, and that lens never had focusing issues before.  With the 7D II in certain lighting conditions it simply cannot focus whatsoever.  The servo goes crazy and the lens barrel is spinning all over the place trying to find focus.  Doesn't matter what I point it at - high contrast or low contrast does the same thing.  But it was only in that outdoor lighting about 10 minutes before sunset.  Still plenty of light, but not exactly bright outside.  The camera would not focus on anything to save its life!  But back inside where it was even darker it seemed to be working fine.  Very odd.  Going to play with it more today when it gets lighter out.

-Brian

Brian Greenstone's gear list:Brian Greenstone's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Canon EOS 7D Mark II

Brian Greenstone wrote:

I just got my 7D II yesterday, so I only had a few hours to play with it before the sun set, however, I was seeing some major focusing issues with my EFS 17-85 lens. My previous camera was an old 450D, and that lens never had focusing issues before. With the 7D II in certain lighting conditions it simply cannot focus whatsoever. The servo goes crazy and the lens barrel is spinning all over the place trying to find focus. Doesn't matter what I point it at - high contrast or low contrast does the same thing. But it was only in that outdoor lighting about 10 minutes before sunset. Still plenty of light, but not exactly bright outside. The camera would not focus on anything to save its life! But back inside where it was even darker it seemed to be working fine. Very odd. Going to play with it more today when it gets lighter out.

-Brian

Let us know how you make out. If possible, some samples are always appreciated of what you think are super sharp perfection that you don't mind may be debated about on this forum.

KatManDEW Senior Member • Posts: 2,095

Brian Greenstone wrote:

I just got my 7D II yesterday, so I only had a few hours to play with it before the sun set, however, I was seeing some major focusing issues with my EFS 17-85 lens.  My previous camera was an old 450D, and that lens never had focusing issues before.  With the 7D II in certain lighting conditions it simply cannot focus whatsoever.  The servo goes crazy and the lens barrel is spinning all over the place trying to find focus.  Doesn't matter what I point it at - high contrast or low contrast does the same thing.  But it was only in that outdoor lighting about 10 minutes before sunset.  Still plenty of light, but not exactly bright outside.  The camera would not focus on anything to save its life!  But back inside where it was even darker it seemed to be working fine.  Very odd.  Going to play with it more today when it gets lighter out.

-Brian

One of the 7D2 claims to fame is low light focusing.

KatManDEW's gear list:KatManDEW's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS R +20 more
warriorprints New Member • Posts: 5

brandagnostickk wrote:

Hi,

I had a similar problem last Friday night while shooting football with my 300mm 2.8 is II. I chalked that night up to a possible settings issue so I checked them all over the week end and shot again on Monday night (same field and lighting) the issue did not get any better and those images that did hit the focus where very soft.

I do not see the need for a camera that shoots 10 frame a second if only 2 are usable, my 5DIII gets almost every shot and the ones it misses are the photographers problem not the camera.

Anyway the 7DII is out for delivery to CPS this morning, hopefully they can correct this issue or it will be on it's way back to the vendor.

Michael Aos Regular Member • Posts: 199

I'm finding that I tend to gravitate back to the 70D, as I just don't trust my 7D Mark II to focus with my lenses...

Michael Aos's gear list:Michael Aos's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +14 more
Powerdoc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,505

Michael Aos wrote:

I'm finding that I tend to gravitate back to the 70D, as I just don't trust my 7D Mark II to focus with my lenses...

Perhaps you are unlucky and you have a defective 7D mk2

-- hide signature --

It's all about photography

Powerdoc's gear list:Powerdoc's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 +29 more
Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 18,329

brandagnostickk wrote:

Servo AF is for subjects which are changing focus distance from the camera and must be tracked. Moving subjects standing in pretty much the same place (IF that is the case here) are probably not suitable for servo AF. When you select servo you tell the camera 'find the part of the image that is changing focus distance' and where there is nothing that really is doing that, you've sent the AF off on a wild goose chase.

Saw a video from Canon once describing servo AF in just that way, and I am wondering if maybe you need to leave the servo AF off unless you are shooting subjects which are really changing focus distance significantly.

Hope you don't mind the comment but I seriously doubt Canon has released this camera after so much testing and so much AF experience with an 'unreliable' AF system, and I have seen many instances of people using AF in servo mode when it's not the best choice of setting. In fact I learned a long time ago that there are a rather narrow range of circumstances when it's the right choice, far fewer than I would have assumed.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads