Panasonic kills the LX Series

Started Sep 15, 2014 | Discussions
f2toms Regular Member • Posts: 194
Panasonic kills the LX Series

Panasonic has just killed the LX Series of Compact Cameras. Yes, the new LX-BIG camera has great potential, but it is not a Compact Camera.

1) You better have really big pockets
2) Where is the Flash (oh, ok, you keep the cheap add on flash in a separate pocket)
3 ) Can we shoot pictures where cameras are not allowed, NO
4) What compact has ever been this good in low light?
5) A Great Compact with Very Good Images is DEAD !

Thanks Pannies

windmillgolfer
windmillgolfer Forum Pro • Posts: 16,424
Re: Panasonic kills the LX Series

Best buy an LX7 quick then

-- hide signature --
 windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +8 more
OP f2toms Regular Member • Posts: 194

You are Right. I will keep my 2 LX3's and LX7, forever, all in mint condition (Over 40,000 images) But it is the time to Buy.

kkardster
kkardster Veteran Member • Posts: 9,511

f2toms wrote:

I don't think Panasonic cameras are actually designed to skirt such rules. Maybe the LUMIX CM1 might better meet your needs. Or you can always get a Minox.

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic ZS100 +5 more
One_Oldman_4U Senior Member • Posts: 1,315
Smartphones are killing pocketable cameras...Panasonic smartphone w/ 1" sensor

f2toms wrote:

Panasonic has just killed the LX Series of Compact Cameras. Yes, the new LX-BIG camera has great potential, but it is not a Compact Camera.

2) Where is the Flash (oh, ok, you keep the cheap add on flash in a separate pocket)

Thanks Pannies

Smartphones are killing compact cameras, even high end small compacts. Bigger sensor size on small P&S enthusiasts is the new trend. Yes the Sony RX100 (I,II,III) are small and to me, they are too small and I have small hands. Panasonic has to come up with something to compete with the 1" sensor compact and they did an excellent job with the LX100 with a bigger than 1" sensor. I too, have the LX3 and LX7 but the new LX100 is very appealing to me and seriously considering one. Between the LX100 and the FZ1000 will be my carry everywhere tandem camera and my M4/3 will be my specialty camera.

Pretty soon, the only compact cameras that camera manufacturers will produce are high ends compact with bigger sensor (bigger size) for the enthusiasts like us, the people in this and other forums. The pocketable cameras will soon belong to the high end smartphones.

Just take a look at this, Panasonic now is putting 1" sensor in cell phone

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/15/panasonic-lumix-cm1/

-- hide signature --

Happy Shooting!
---
RiK
---
"It is not the equipment that makes a photograph but the person behind the equipment and it's not how sharp the images are but how they convey the message."
"I'm a snap-shooter! I shoot anything that interest me. Sometimes, I get lucky and some of my snap-shots turns into a photograph."
---

One_Oldman_4U's gear list:One_Oldman_4U's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6

You make some very good points. But, a 1''sensor would appeal to many in a LX 7 size camera.

captura Forum Pro • Posts: 27,477

f2toms wrote:

You make some very good points. But, a 1''sensor would appeal to many in a LX 7 size camera.

There have been rumors for some time now that an LX8 with 1" sensor will still be introduced, in the future.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony a7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM +3 more
Paul Rumohr Regular Member • Posts: 115

I whole heartedly agree. I'm not ready to record my entire pleasure vacation on a single focal length smart phone

f2toms wrote:

Sure the smart phones are probably the future, but the quality even with larger sensors isn't there yet.

LX8, 1" sensor, small viewfinder(doesn't have to be greatest), fast lens of course, with good(not the very best) video could be priced well.

And it would be in my Pocket.

rgs_45
rgs_45 Senior Member • Posts: 1,237
Re: Smartphones are killing pocketable cameras...Panasonic smartphone w/ 1" sensor

Smartphones are killing compact cameras, even high end small compacts. Bigger sensor size on small P&S enthusiasts is the new trend. Yes the Sony RX100 (I,II,III) are small and to me, they are too small and I have small hands. Panasonic has to come up with something to compete with the 1" sensor compact and they did an excellent job with the LX100 with a bigger than 1" sensor. I too, have the LX3 and LX7 but the new LX100 is very appealing to me and seriously considering one. Between the LX100 and the FZ1000 will be my carry everywhere tandem camera and my M4/3 will be my specialty camera.

Pretty soon, the only compact cameras that camera manufacturers will produce are high ends compact with bigger sensor (bigger size) for the enthusiasts like us, the people in this and other forums. The pocketable cameras will soon belong to the high end smartphones.

Just take a look at this, Panasonic now is putting 1" sensor in cell phone

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/15/panasonic-lumix-cm1/

-- hide signature --

Happy Shooting!
---
RiK
---
"It is not the equipment that makes a photograph but the person behind the equipment and it's not how sharp the images are but how they convey the message."
"I'm a snap-shooter! I shoot anything that interest me. Sometimes, I get lucky and some of my snap-shots turns into a photograph."
---

Is that a camera first then phone or phone first then a cam? Looks promising. Another gadget to consider.

rgs_45's gear list:rgs_45's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon Z6 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +5 more
Paul Rumohr Regular Member • Posts: 115

Amen to that my brother

If it's out of your pocket, it may as well be a Fuji X camera because you're going to have to figure a way to carry and protect it separately anyway.

f2toms wrote:

Sure the smart phones are probably the future, but the quality even with larger sensors isn't there yet.

LX8, 1" sensor, small viewfinder(doesn't have to be greatest), fast lens of course, with good(not the very best) video could be priced well.

Paul Rumohr wrote:

Amen to that my brother

If it's out of your pocket, it may as well be a Fuji X camera because you're going to have to figure a way to carry and protect it separately anyway.

f2toms wrote:

Fuji X30, identical size as LX100, same 12 mp (LX100 is restricted down from 16mp)

$599.

Sony a7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM +3 more
Re: Canon G7X With 1" Sensor is the new LX7?

Thanks John.

The G7X, with which I was unfamiliar, seems to be more of a direct competitor for the Sony RX100 III. They are almost identically sized and both have a 1" sensor.

Here is the Camera Size comparison:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#573,555

So, I ask in turn, is the Canon G7X With 1" Sensor the new Sony RX100?

Re: Canon G7X With 1" Sensor is the new LX7?

captura wrote:

Thanks John.

The G7X, with which I was unfamiliar, seems to be more of a direct competitor for the Sony RX100 III. They are almost identically sized and both have a 1" sensor.

Here is the Camera Size comparison:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#573,555

So, I ask in turn, is the Canon G7X With 1" Sensor the new Sony RX100?

OK, a GX7 preview:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-g7x/canon-g7xA.HTM

So this has no EVF. It is therefore a direct competitor to the RX100 II and NOT the RX100 III.

Similar zoom range. But $700 vs $399 for the RX100 II, an adverytised price which I saw today.

So, the RX100 series are still the better buy at Best Buy....

dv312
dv312 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,694
Pretty much ...but a new player

for there's a new player in that market

the DMC-CM1

fully pocketable

1" sensor

4K video

Builtin flash

Only thing missing is a zoom (wait for Mark II)

With the advent of 1" sensor I think Pana may forego the smaller sensors going forward

A Panny executive actually mentioned that in an earlier press conference: they 'll spend their resources on larger sensor and more expensive cameras ( > $400.00))

Cheers

dv312's gear list:dv312's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Sony a9 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3
Re: Pretty much ...but a new player

The CM1 is a huge step in the right direction. It may be perfect.

My guess would be it will take a few tries for companies to make smartphones effective as cameras, but we shall see. I will give Panasonic credit for the CM1 ! Yes, there is a new Player.

tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 13,651

f2toms wrote:

At least 10mm larger than before.  LX7 was not a pocket camera

So problem solved then?

Why would the LX7 be allowed where LX100 is not?  No cameras = no cameras

LX100 should be at least 2 stops better, so......

But we have an even better one with outstanding images just being born.

The LX100 is the same size in terms of WxH and only adds <10mm to the depth, much of which is the eyecup.

You act like the LX7 was a 19mm thin Canon Elph or something.  It was a thick and large compact.  I never put my LX5 in my pocket because it was too chunky.   This will fit in the same kinds of pouches most put their LX7 into now.

NowHearThis
NowHearThis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,800
Nope, they just made it the one most desireable, high quality compacts out there now.

f2toms wrote:

First, Clairvoyant much?  There's a lot of numbers between 7 and 100

Second, LX-BIG? it's 4mm longer, 1mm shorter, and only 9mm thicker. The LX7 was never a pant-pocket camera anyway (MC Hammer pants excluded).

Apparently people do, jacket pockets, or did you miss those 567,83,746,234,709,842 posts (Exaggeration intended. But I think I've read more posts on cameras being jacket pocketable then I've read posts on equivalence - and that's alot.)  Admittedly it's the trade off, do you want very high IQ on a bigger M43 sized sensor or do you want to stick with so-so 1/1.7" sensors.  I think Panasonic's market research division came back and said "bigger".

Did you miss the whining on the Sony forum when the RX100 III put in a built-in flash and took out the hotshoe.  Can't please everyone I guess.

So this relates to size how... are you saying you want to be a rule breaker and sneak a small camera in and photograph things you shouldn't?

• Sony RX1
  • Sony RX1R
  • Nikon Coolpix A
  • Fuji X100
  • Fuji X100S
  • Fuji X100T
  • Ricoh GR
  • Leica X1
  • Leica X2
  • The Sony RX100 III, RX10, Pansonic FZ1000, & Canon G1X II aren't too bad either.

Please forgive me if I missed any; I was in a rush.

No, it just evolved.  If you must have a compact camera with small size and large apertures, the Canon G7x or Sony RX100 III will work fine.  If you want high IQ (about the same as the LX7), in an even smaller size than Canon/Sony and can forgo the need for ultra fast glass then the LF1 is still a good option.  If you can spare 9mm, carry a small bag, or just put the camera in your "jacket pocket"  the the LX100 with it's 4K Video, 11 FPS, XGA-resolution EVF, Aperture Ring, and much bigger sensor (225sq. mm vs 41.5sq. mm - that's 5.4x bigger to be exact) etc... might be good enough reason to buy/upgrade.

Thanks Pannies

Yes, thanks for giving us something to drool over.  If my 30 day return policy was still in effect, I'd be tempted to just pick this up instead of my E-M10 (and I really like my E-M10) as my walk around/hiking camera.

-- hide signature --

NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

NowHearThis's gear list:NowHearThis's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH
Re: Nope, they just made it the one most desireable, high quality compacts out there now.

Everyone is welcome to their own opinion.

Some of you seem glad the LX series is dead ?

Apparently some of you never understood how to turn on a LX camera, or definitely NEVER USED ONE.

One thing is for sure, the LX-BIG AIN'T NO COMPACT !!

Sergeg
Sergeg Senior Member • Posts: 2,693

f2toms wrote:

Thanks Pannies

Sounds like you're lonely and doing the rounds around the Forum traps bemoaning the fact that you don't actually shoot anything. Typical of trolls with no galleries, challenges or gear lists.

Desperate for attention?

Sergeg's gear list:Sergeg's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Nikon D800 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads