GX7 - sell or keep?

Started 4 months ago | Questions
PChoi
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
GX7 - sell or keep?
4 months ago

I finally made up my mind to get the EM1. I have both EM5 and GX7that I use regularly.  Should I keep the EM5 or GX7? I like both cameras and have no problem with the mannuals, operation and IQ.   I Like the EM1 because I have a couple of 3/4 lenses and also handling and responsivness.

PChoi's gear list:PChoi's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +12 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
John Pennington
Contributing MemberPosts: 897Gear list
Like?
Re: GX7 - sell or keep?
In reply to PChoi, 4 months ago

What are the things you prefer most about the E-M5 and GX7?

John Pennington's gear list:John Pennington's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
IanYorke
Regular MemberPosts: 177Gear list
Like?

PChoi wrote:

I finally made up my mind to get the EM1. I have both EM5 and GX7that I use regularly. Should I keep the EM5 or GX7? I like both cameras and have no problem with the mannuals, operation and IQ. I Like the EM1 because I have a couple of 3/4 lenses and also handling and responsivness.

I chose the GX7 over the EM5 but if you have the EM1 it makes more sense to keep the EM5.

Ian

Pedagydusz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,461Gear list
Like?

The GX-7 (and all Panasonic cameras) has one overwhelming superiority over the Olympus cameras: the ETZ for video. The quality of the video with this setting on is so much superior to the corresponding setting in the Olympus cameras that, if you use this feature, it is by itself a reason to keep the GX-7.

If you don't use it, it boils down pretty much to individual preferences on ergonomics, and the use you give to IBIS: the IBIS in the GX-7 (while it works and is useful) is no match to that in the EM-1 or EM-5.

-- hide signature --
 Pedagydusz's gear list:Pedagydusz's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Adobe Photoshop CS6
Enir4
Senior MemberPosts: 2,097Gear list
Like?
In reply to Pedagydusz, 4 months ago

Pedagydusz wrote:

The GX-7 (and all Panasonic cameras) has one overwhelming superiority over the Olympus cameras: the ETZ for video. The quality of the video with this setting on is so much superior to the corresponding setting in the Olympus cameras that, if you use this feature, it is by itself a reason to keep the GX-7.

I know nothing about video. What's ETZ and what do I have to do to use it?

Enrique

Enir4's gear list:Enir4's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +7 more
sylon
Regular MemberPosts: 218Gear list
Like?

I would keep GX7 purely because its got superior features that EM5 lacks even disregarding the video shooting that others have said is better in GX7:

- Focus peaking

- 1/8000 shutter speed

- Electronic first curtain shutter to prevent shutter shock + fully electronic shutter for silent mode

- Much better manual controls through all the function buttons / dedicated buttons (there is deficated MF/AF, there is dedicated AFL/AEL which don't exist in EM5 and require use of function buttons).  Clickable two mode back dial.

- Poppy uppy flash

- Tilting EVF

The 5-axis IBIS in EM5 is better but not significantly better than the GX7 IBIS, maybe 1 stop advantage but GX7 ISO performance is slightly better than the EM5 sensor too to make up for it.

sylon's gear list:sylon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
The Jacal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,258Gear list
Like?

PChoi wrote:

I finally made up my mind to get the EM1. I have both EM5 and GX7that I use regularly. Should I keep the EM5 or GX7? I like both cameras and have no problem with the mannuals, operation and IQ. I Like the EM1 because I have a couple of 3/4 lenses and also handling and responsivness.

Personally I'd keep the EM5 because it has the same menus, battery and similar button layout.

This is a purely subjective thing though; if the points above don't bother you, you may as well flip a coin.

Personally I think the GX7 is a pig ergonomically; strangely shaped grip that makes my hand ache after a short time of using it, rear control dial that isn't where your thumb sits and it the rubber coating on the cam makes the (recessed) rear dial difficult to turn. But, hey, that's just me. I have a G5, and apart from the rear dial not being where it should, it is superb ergonomically, but I wouldn't use it as a back up on a shoot or on holiday because of the battery.

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7467981@N05/
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." Richard Dawkins.

The Jacal's gear list:The Jacal's gear list
Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-P2 +17 more
AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,816Gear list
Like?
I`d keep the GX7 -->
In reply to The Jacal, 4 months ago

I`d keep the GX7 because it offers stuff the EM1 doesn`t do such as full silent electronic shutter , decent video, flip EVF, built in flash with remote commander etc, it also handles completely differently which may suit different circumstances whereas the EM5 is just a sub-set of the EM1, it`s doubtful you`ll touch it again .

and this is coming from an EM5 owner ! .

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
BarnET
Senior MemberPosts: 1,857Gear list
Like?
In reply to sylon, 4 months ago

sylon wrote:

I would keep GX7 purely because its got superior features that EM5 lacks even disregarding the video shooting that others have said is better in GX7:

- Focus peaking

- 1/8000 shutter speed

- Electronic first curtain shutter to prevent shutter shock + fully electronic shutter for silent mode

- Much better manual controls through all the function buttons / dedicated buttons (there is deficated MF/AF, there is dedicated AFL/AEL which don't exist in EM5 and require use of function buttons). Clickable two mode back dial.

- Poppy uppy flash

- Tilting EVF

The 5-axis IBIS in EM5 is better but not significantly better than the GX7 IBIS, maybe 1 stop advantage but GX7 ISO performance is slightly better than the EM5 sensor too to make up for it.

I agree,

The GX7 compliments the EM-1 better as then the EM-5.

racin06
Regular MemberPosts: 175Gear list
Like?

I would keep the GX7 and buy the GH4  .

racin06's gear list:racin06's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
BarnET
Like?
In reply to racin06, 4 months ago

Would you buy an gh4 if you did not shoot any video over the em-1?

I would pick the em-1 for stills over the gh4

The ibis

Faster flash sync

Much better AF with legacy 43 lenses would seal that deal.

The Jacal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,258Gear list
Like?
Re: I`d keep the GX7 -->
In reply to AdamT, 4 months ago

AdamT wrote:

I`d keep the GX7 because it offers stuff the EM1 doesn`t do such as full silent electronic shutter , decent video, flip EVF, built in flash with remote commander etc,

He said these things don't bother him.

it also handles completely differently which may suit different circumstances whereas the EM5 is just a sub-set of the EM1, it`s doubtful you`ll touch it again .

As I said, subjective.

Who maybe should've bought a GX7.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." Richard Dawkins.

The Jacal's gear list:The Jacal's gear list
Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-P2 +17 more
BarnET
Like?

The Jacal wrote:

AdamT wrote:

I`d keep the GX7 because it offers stuff the EM1 doesn`t do such as full silent electronic shutter , decent video, flip EVF, built in flash with remote commander etc,

it also handles completely differently which may suit different circumstances whereas the EM5 is just a sub-set of the EM1, it`s doubtful you`ll touch it again .

As I said, subjective.

Like many others if it was available at the same time.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

racin06
Regular MemberPosts: 175Gear list
Like?
In reply to BarnET, 4 months ago

Yes, I would. I'll let you in on a dirty little secret...the general consensus of numerous reviews and actual GH4 owners is that the GH4 still photo capabilities is equal to or slightly better than the E-M1 . Couple this with the lightening fast AF system, burst shooting and many more features (do I need to list?), the GH4 is the clear winner. Throw in video capabilities and that is the icing on the cake...the GH4 is clearly the best M43 camera available at this time. Shhhhhhhh...though don't tell anyone .

racin06's gear list:racin06's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
BarnET
Like?

I agree that the gh4 is the best m43 camera.

And the best carry everywhere video camera by a long shot.

However many great m43 lenses have no stabilisation.

The gh4 lacks ibis. So i would even pick my own gx7 over it in stills with the current lenses I own.

Michael M Fliegel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,881Gear list
Like?

The GH4 and EM1 are both great cameras.  I have not read anything about the GH4's performance with the FT glass.  I do know that you will not be disappointed with how well the EM1 handles it.

Michael M Fliegel's gear list:Michael M Fliegel's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +9 more
quitomarez
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?

I have both, GX7 and EM1. I also previously had the EM5, but I sold it.

My  GX7 complements my EM1 specially on holidays when I am travelling. For example, electronic silent shutter is a must whenever visit some public places as churches, small bars, etc. I also like the viewfinder.

But, if I look for best quality, I find the EM1 to be a bit ahead. As the EM1 is an EM5 "on steroids" I don't miss it.

Regards

-- hide signature --

Quito Marez

quitomarez's gear list:quitomarez's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Epson R-D1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +20 more
tinternaut
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,676Gear list
Like?
Re: I'd say keep the GX7

Olympus and Panasonic approach imaging differently.  Since you're comfortable with both, why not have both to hand?

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
EarthQuake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,322
Like?

PChoi wrote:

I have the EM5 and EM1, its very nice that these cameras share batteries, which means less batteries and chargers to pack when traveling. Its also nice that the controls and UI are very, very similar.

I've considered swapping my EM5 for a GX7 (mostly for 1/8000th, silent shutter, etc) but then I downgrade on weather sealing, EVF, IBIS and lose the ability to share batteries. Plus it weighs the same and isn't significantly smaller than the EM5.

As the price keeps falling on the GX7 I am tempted to own all 3 though.

AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,816Gear list
Like?

Where did PChoi (the OP) say that he had no use of decent video or the electronic shutter, remote commander ?

all they said in the OP was

finally made up my mind to get the EM1. I have both EM5 and GX7that I use regularly. Should I keep the EM5 or GX7? I like both cameras and have no problem with the manuals, operation and IQ. I Like the EM1 because I have a couple of 3/4 lenses and also handling and responsiveness.

And they`ve not responded

I have , it`s a silent work camera, makes an excellent alternative to my "own" EM5 . they fill in each others deficiencies nicely

-- hide signature --

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads