D800 no longer rotating Upright shots?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions
b3nb123
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?
D800 no longer rotating Upright shots?
1 month ago

For some reason all the photos I've shot at a wedding today on my D800 have lost their 'orientation' info. All the uprights are lying on their side. To verify this isn't just a setting of the software I've viewing them in, I've also tried importing them to lightroom, they still show sideways, and turning of 'rotate tall' they still ly sideways.  So it seems the camera isn't tagging them as uprights.

Have I turned off some setting for this? Or perhaps my accelerometer has died?

b3nb123's gear list:b3nb123's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon D700 Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +4 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
iwannabesedated
Senior MemberPosts: 1,005Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 no longer rotating Upright shots?
In reply to b3nb123, 1 month ago

When you view them on the camera LCD, are the portrait (vertical) mode shots rotated correctly, or do all shots get displayed in landscape (horizontal) mode?

iwannabesedated's gear list:iwannabesedated's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
b3nb123
Like?
In reply to iwannabesedated, 1 month ago

I tried turning off 'rotate tall' to test this, they all display landscape regardless. Also, the level display in live view works fine, so I know the accelerometer is OK

Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon D700 Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +4 more
michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,664Gear list
Like?

There are two settings that control this behavior.  One is for display on the back LCD.  I always leave that one to "no rotation" so that I use the full LCD area for portrait orientation.  There is another setting in the custom settings menu that controls the rotation flag for post processing.  Sorry I don't remember the specific menu option.

b3nb123 wrote:

For some reason all the photos I've shot at a wedding today on my D800 have lost their 'orientation' info. All the uprights are lying on their side. To verify this isn't just a setting of the software I've viewing them in, I've also tried importing them to lightroom, they still show sideways, and turning of 'rotate tall' they still ly sideways. So it seems the camera isn't tagging them as uprights.

Have I turned off some setting for this? Or perhaps my accelerometer has died?

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
b3nb123
Like?
In reply to michaeladawson, 1 month ago

Thanks for the reply - that sounds promising! I'm looking though and nothing stand out right now...

b3nb123
Like?

Scrap that - Found it!! It's in setup, next to Battery info!  'Auto Image Rotation'
Somehow I've gone in and set it to off, must have been while curiously peeking at the previous job's shutter count!

That's a relief - The camera's not faulty!

michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,664Gear list
Like?

b3nb123 wrote:

Thanks for the reply - that sounds promising! I'm looking though and nothing stand out right now...

I no doubt led you astray when I said "custom settings" menu.  It's actually in the Camera Setup menu.

"Auto Image Rotation"

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
DjMike
Regular MemberPosts: 142
Like?
In reply to michaeladawson, 1 month ago

Good that the camera is working fine. Strangely though, or it's just me, I prefer to leave this switched off. That way I can view all portraits shot much better.
--
FunkMike2013

b3nb123
Like?
In reply to DjMike, 1 month ago

I must admit, viewing them on the computer all sideways (especially on the smaller laptop screen while at the wedding earlier!) did make them lovely and clear!
But in nef format there was no way to rotate them in the program I use for my initial sort-through (ACDSee) before I get to Lightroom for the developing.

I never considered deliberately leaving them sideways! I may consider that!
Thanks for your help!

iwannabesedated
Senior MemberPosts: 1,005Gear list
Like?

b3nb123 wrote:

I must admit, viewing them on the computer all sideways (especially on the smaller laptop screen while at the wedding earlier!) did make them lovely and clear!
But in nef format there was no way to rotate them in the program I use for my initial sort-through (ACDSee) before I get to Lightroom for the developing.

I never considered deliberately leaving them sideways! I may consider that!
Thanks for your help!

Actually, there is a way to get ACDSee to rotate your images automatically - I do it all the time. In ACDSee, open the Tools menu, then choose Options... (last item). Under General settings, check the 4th box down which is labelled 'Automatically Rotate...'. It's possible you might also need to check the Speed: Use Embedded JPEG option under the RAW Display section (this setting is also on the General settings page, toward the bottom). Good luck!

iwannabesedated's gear list:iwannabesedated's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 +2 more
b3nb123
Like?
In reply to iwannabesedated, 1 month ago

Great! Thanks, I didn't realise I could use the embedded JPGs version for the preview, that may be a quicker render.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads