Quick and Dirty - PL25mm vs Oly 14-42 EZ vs Pana 12-32 GM1 kit

Started 1 month ago | Discussions
Maklike Tier
Regular MemberPosts: 271Gear list
Like?
Quick and Dirty - PL25mm vs Oly 14-42 EZ vs Pana 12-32 GM1 kit
1 month ago

Okay so I fully admit up front that I did this quick comparison without the same camera settings (I just turned it on and shot the shots) THIS IS NOT SCIENCE. The sales guy was happy to do it in so much as he wasn't that happy to do it, so I had to do it quick so I let the camera do it's thing.

All three shots were done at 25mm. The close up images were about 3.5m (10ft) away. All files were ORF, imported into Lightroom CC as DNG, then exported as full size jpegs with no fiddling whatsoever. The close-up 1:1 shots are actually screengrabs of the DNGs.

Can you guess which is the Panasonic-Leica 25mm f1.4, which is the Panasonic GM1's 12-32 kit zoom, and which is the Olympus 14-42 EZ?

Lens #1

Lens #2

Lens #3

Lens #1

Lens #2

Lens #3

Maklike Tier's gear list:Maklike Tier's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
oneohone
Junior MemberPosts: 42Gear list
Like?
Re: Quick and Dirty - PL25mm vs Oly 14-42 EZ vs Pana 12-32 GM1 kit
In reply to Maklike Tier, 1 month ago

1. EZ

2. 25mm 1.4

3. Pana 12-32

Would be my guesses

oneohone's gear list:oneohone's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
emd5 001
Forum MemberPosts: 80Gear list
Like?
In reply to oneohone, 1 month ago

oneohone wrote:

1. EZ

2. 25mm 1.4

3. Pana 12-32

Would be my guesses

+1

emd5 001's gear list:emd5 001's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +4 more
sylon
Regular MemberPosts: 192Gear list
Like?

1. EZ

2. 12-32

3. 25

sylon's gear list:sylon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
fluberman
Regular MemberPosts: 109Gear list
Like?

oneohone wrote:

1. EZ

2. 25mm 1.4

3. Pana 12-32

Would be my guesses

+1

fluberman's gear list:fluberman's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus E-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +9 more
broody
Regular MemberPosts: 334
Like?

oneohone wrote:

1. EZ

2. 25mm 1.4

3. Pana 12-32

Would be my guesses

+1. That's in line with my impression of all three lenses. But I'm intrigued that we may get a startling revelation

eques
Senior MemberPosts: 1,706Gear list
Like?
Very Quick and Dirty

#1 shows severe shake or shutter shock, #3 the same but to a lesser extent. So I could just guess #2 was made with PL25 wide open or with one of the zooms with active OIS.

I hope you didn't make your decision on basis of these images.

Peter

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
Maklike Tier
Like?
Re: Very Quick and Dirty
In reply to eques, 1 month ago

eques wrote:

#1 shows severe shake or shutter shock, #3 the same but to a lesser extent. So I could just guess #2 was made with PL25 wide open or with one of the zooms with active OIS.

Peter

Shutter shock huh. Sure it's not.....decentered?

There's no shutter shock in any of these photos.

Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
eques
Like?

Maklike Tier wrote:

eques wrote:

Peter

Of course, sorry to name the things not to be named.

But seriously, I believe the bad IQ of ##1 and 3 are not the fault of the lenses.

Peter.

Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
Maklike Tier
Like?
In reply to eques, 1 month ago

eques wrote:

Maklike Tier wrote:

eques wrote:

Peter

But seriously, I believe the bad IQ of ##1 and 3 are not the fault of the lenses.

Peter.

Well, I gave full warning that I just whipped the camera out, stuffed the lenses on and pressed the shutter button. This is not a 'critique my photo' post.

You may believe the IQ is not the fault of the lenses, but what if I told you the images that you think were 'not the fault of the lenses' were both kit zooms; and the one in the middle (#2) was the PL25?

Would that information - when combined with the knowledge of every test on the internet carried out with those three lenses - lead you to believe that kit lenses could resolve as much detail as the PL25; it's just me and my 'quick and dirty' contribution that has the issues?

eques
Like?

Maklike Tier wrote:

eques wrote:

Maklike Tier wrote:

eques wrote:

Peter

Peter.

Well, I gave full warning that I just whipped the camera out, stuffed the lenses on and pressed the shutter button. This is not a 'critique my photo' post.

You may believe the IQ is not the fault of the lenses, but what if I told you the images that you think were 'not the fault of the lenses' were both kit zooms; and the one in the middle (#2) was the PL25?

Well, that was my first guess, see above.

Would that information - when combined with the knowledge of every test on the internet carried out with those three lenses - lead you to believe that kit lenses could resolve as much detail as the PL25; it's just me and my 'quick and dirty' contribution that has the issues?

I am well aware, that the kit zooms are no excellent lenses - I myself avoid them, if possible. However they are not that bad - and look at the double contours of the images #1 and also #3.

Could you provide the exif data, now that you unveiled the secret? Knowing that #2 was made with the PL25, I suspect P-Mode or iA mode selected wide open aperture and the zoom lenses didn't have OIS activated, so that exposure time was about 5,5 times as long as with the PL25.

Peter.

Pikme
Senior MemberPosts: 1,540
Like?
a bit ridiculous
In reply to Maklike Tier, 4 weeks ago

Maklike Tier wrote:

The difference you are seeing is not the difference in sharpness between the lenses and you certainly cannot say it is because any of the lenses are 'decentered'.

What you are seeing is good old fashioned camera shake in two of the images from using too slow shutter speed and/or sloppy handholding (easy to do when acting quickly in a store).

I generally enjoy 'real life' tests rather than brick wall shots, but c'mon - you can't make ANY conclusions from these photos!

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,456Gear list
Like?
In reply to broody, 4 weeks ago

broody wrote:

oneohone wrote:

1. EZ

2. 25mm 1.4

3. Pana 12-32

Would be my guesses

+1. That's in line with my impression of all three lenses. But I'm intrigued that we may get a startling revelation

+1

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
Michael M Fliegel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,515Gear list
Like?
Re: a bit ridiculous
In reply to Pikme, 4 weeks ago

Each lens has its uses.  The PL25 is sharp, but not as sharp as the 14-42EZ at 14mm, and certainly not as sharp as the 12-32 at 12mm.

Michael M Fliegel's gear list:Michael M Fliegel's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +7 more
fuesting
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?
In reply to Michael M Fliegel, 4 weeks ago

Michael M Fliegel wrote:

Each lens has its uses. The PL25 is sharp, but not as sharp as the 14-42EZ at 14mm, and certainly not as sharp as the 12-32 at 12mm.

The PL25 is completely unsharp at 12mm, I find the shots unusable too.  

arbuz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,163Gear list
Like?

Michael M Fliegel wrote:

Each lens has its uses. The PL25 is sharp, but not as sharp as the 14-42EZ at 14mm, and certainly not as sharp as the 12-32 at 12mm.

but at 25mm it's the sharpest

arbuz's gear list:arbuz's gear list
Samsung EX2F Pentax *ist DS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 +16 more
Michael M Fliegel
Like?
In reply to arbuz, 4 weeks ago

Great lens but not so sharp at 32mm.

Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +7 more
Landscapephoto99
Senior MemberPosts: 2,487
Like?
Re: Let's try not quick and dirty, but useful
In reply to Maklike Tier, 4 weeks ago

Certainly in good light, it will be hard to tell the difference between the lenses except blown up 200% for pixel peepers.  Maybe bokeh?  But in low light is where the PL 25mm shines.

Michael M Fliegel
Like?
In reply to Landscapephoto99, 4 weeks ago

No disrespect meant for the PL25, which is a great lens!

Landscapephoto99
Senior MemberPosts: 2,487
Like?

Michael M Fliegel wrote:

No disrespect meant for the PL25, which is a great lens!

Yes, no problem.  I have the 12-50 and the PL25.  Each has its own uses.  There is just something about the look of photos taken with the PL25 that is hard to describe, like a 3D effect...but maybe it's the Leica name getting to me

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads