Quick and Dirty - PL25mm vs Oly 14-42 EZ vs Pana 12-32 GM1 kit

Started Aug 21, 2014 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Maklike Tier
Maklike Tier Regular Member • Posts: 385
Quick and Dirty - PL25mm vs Oly 14-42 EZ vs Pana 12-32 GM1 kit

Okay so I fully admit up front that I did this quick comparison without the same camera settings (I just turned it on and shot the shots) THIS IS NOT SCIENCE. The sales guy was happy to do it in so much as he wasn't that happy to do it, so I had to do it quick so I let the camera do it's thing.

All three shots were done at 25mm. The close up images were about 3.5m (10ft) away. All files were ORF, imported into Lightroom CC as DNG, then exported as full size jpegs with no fiddling whatsoever. The close-up 1:1 shots are actually screengrabs of the DNGs.

Can you guess which is the Panasonic-Leica 25mm f1.4, which is the Panasonic GM1's 12-32 kit zoom, and which is the Olympus 14-42 EZ?

Lens #1

Lens #2

Lens #3

Lens #1

Lens #2

Lens #3

 Maklike Tier's gear list:Maklike Tier's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
oneohone Forum Member • Posts: 77
Re: Quick and Dirty - PL25mm vs Oly 14-42 EZ vs Pana 12-32 GM1 kit
3

1. EZ

2. 25mm 1.4

3. Pana 12-32

Would be my guesses

 oneohone's gear list:oneohone's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ
emd5 001 Regular Member • Posts: 106
Re: Quick and Dirty - PL25mm vs Oly 14-42 EZ vs Pana 12-32 GM1 kit

oneohone wrote:

1. EZ

2. 25mm 1.4

3. Pana 12-32

Would be my guesses

+1

 emd5 001's gear list:emd5 001's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +2 more
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 221
Re: Quick and Dirty - PL25mm vs Oly 14-42 EZ vs Pana 12-32 GM1 kit

1. EZ

2. 12-32

3. 25

 sylon's gear list:sylon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
fluberman Regular Member • Posts: 115
Re: Quick and Dirty - PL25mm vs Oly 14-42 EZ vs Pana 12-32 GM1 kit

oneohone wrote:

1. EZ

2. 25mm 1.4

3. Pana 12-32

Would be my guesses

+1

 fluberman's gear list:fluberman's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +12 more
broody Contributing Member • Posts: 674
Re: Quick and Dirty - PL25mm vs Oly 14-42 EZ vs Pana 12-32 GM1 kit

oneohone wrote:

1. EZ

2. 25mm 1.4

3. Pana 12-32

Would be my guesses

+1. That's in line with my impression of all three lenses. But I'm intrigued that we may get a startling revelation

 broody's gear list:broody's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
eques Senior Member • Posts: 2,198
Very Quick and Dirty
1

#1 shows severe shake or shutter shock, #3 the same but to a lesser extent. So I could just guess #2 was made with PL25 wide open or with one of the zooms with active OIS.

I hope you didn't make your decision on basis of these images.

Peter

 eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +3 more
Maklike Tier
Maklike Tier OP Regular Member • Posts: 385
Re: Very Quick and Dirty

eques wrote:

#1 shows severe shake or shutter shock, #3 the same but to a lesser extent. So I could just guess #2 was made with PL25 wide open or with one of the zooms with active OIS.

I hope you didn't make your decision on basis of these images.

Peter

Shutter shock huh. Sure it's not.....decentered?

There's no shutter shock in any of these photos.

 Maklike Tier's gear list:Maklike Tier's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
eques Senior Member • Posts: 2,198
Re: Very Quick and Dirty
2

Maklike Tier wrote:

eques wrote:

#1 shows severe shake or shutter shock, #3 the same but to a lesser extent. So I could just guess #2 was made with PL25 wide open or with one of the zooms with active OIS.

I hope you didn't make your decision on basis of these images.

Peter

Shutter shock huh. Sure it's not.....decentered?

There's no shutter shock in any of these photos.

Of course, sorry to name the things not to be named.

But seriously, I believe the bad IQ of ##1 and 3 are not the fault of the lenses.

Peter.

 eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +3 more
Maklike Tier
Maklike Tier OP Regular Member • Posts: 385
Re: Very Quick and Dirty
1

eques wrote:

Maklike Tier wrote:

eques wrote:

#1 shows severe shake or shutter shock, #3 the same but to a lesser extent. So I could just guess #2 was made with PL25 wide open or with one of the zooms with active OIS.

I hope you didn't make your decision on basis of these images.

Peter

Shutter shock huh. Sure it's not.....decentered?

There's no shutter shock in any of these photos.

Of course, sorry to name the things not to be named.

But seriously, I believe the bad IQ of ##1 and 3 are not the fault of the lenses.

Peter.

Well, I gave full warning that I just whipped the camera out, stuffed the lenses on and pressed the shutter button. This is not a 'critique my photo' post.

You may believe the IQ is not the fault of the lenses, but what if I told you the images that you think were 'not the fault of the lenses' were both kit zooms; and the one in the middle (#2) was the PL25?

Would that information - when combined with the knowledge of every test on the internet carried out with those three lenses - lead you to believe that kit lenses could resolve as much detail as the PL25; it's just me and my 'quick and dirty' contribution that has the issues?

 Maklike Tier's gear list:Maklike Tier's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
eques Senior Member • Posts: 2,198
Re: Very Quick and Dirty

Maklike Tier wrote:

eques wrote:

Maklike Tier wrote:

eques wrote:

#1 shows severe shake or shutter shock, #3 the same but to a lesser extent. So I could just guess #2 was made with PL25 wide open or with one of the zooms with active OIS.

I hope you didn't make your decision on basis of these images.

Peter

Shutter shock huh. Sure it's not.....decentered?

There's no shutter shock in any of these photos.

Of course, sorry to name the things not to be named.

But seriously, I believe the bad IQ of ##1 and 3 are not the fault of the lenses.

Peter.

Well, I gave full warning that I just whipped the camera out, stuffed the lenses on and pressed the shutter button. This is not a 'critique my photo' post.

You may believe the IQ is not the fault of the lenses, but what if I told you the images that you think were 'not the fault of the lenses' were both kit zooms; and the one in the middle (#2) was the PL25?

Well, that was my first guess, see above.

Would that information - when combined with the knowledge of every test on the internet carried out with those three lenses - lead you to believe that kit lenses could resolve as much detail as the PL25; it's just me and my 'quick and dirty' contribution that has the issues?

I am well aware, that the kit zooms are no excellent lenses - I myself avoid them, if possible. However they are not that bad - and look at the double contours of the images #1 and also #3.

Could you provide the exif data, now that you unveiled the secret? Knowing that #2 was made with the PL25, I suspect P-Mode or iA mode selected wide open aperture and the zoom lenses didn't have OIS activated, so that exposure time was about 5,5 times as long as with the PL25.

Peter.

 eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +3 more
Pikme Senior Member • Posts: 1,978
a bit ridiculous
7

Maklike Tier wrote:

You may believe the IQ is not the fault of the lenses, but what if I told you the images that you think were 'not the fault of the lenses' were both kit zooms; and the one in the middle (#2) was the PL25?

The difference you are seeing is not the difference in sharpness between the lenses and you certainly cannot say it is because any of the lenses are 'decentered'.

What you are seeing is good old fashioned camera shake in two of the images from using too slow shutter speed and/or sloppy handholding (easy to do when acting quickly in a store).

I generally enjoy 'real life' tests rather than brick wall shots, but c'mon - you can't make ANY conclusions from these photos!

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

Len_Gee
Len_Gee Veteran Member • Posts: 9,089
Re: Quick and Dirty - PL25mm vs Oly 14-42 EZ vs Pana 12-32 GM1 kit

broody wrote:

oneohone wrote:

1. EZ

2. 25mm 1.4

3. Pana 12-32

Would be my guesses

+1. That's in line with my impression of all three lenses. But I'm intrigued that we may get a startling revelation

+1

 Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
Michael M Fliegel
Michael M Fliegel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,098
Re: a bit ridiculous

Each lens has its uses.  The PL25 is sharp, but not as sharp as the 14-42EZ at 14mm, and certainly not as sharp as the 12-32 at 12mm.

 Michael M Fliegel's gear list:Michael M Fliegel's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +11 more
fuesting Regular Member • Posts: 193
Re: a bit ridiculous

Michael M Fliegel wrote:

Each lens has its uses. The PL25 is sharp, but not as sharp as the 14-42EZ at 14mm, and certainly not as sharp as the 12-32 at 12mm.

The PL25 is completely unsharp at 12mm, I find the shots unusable too.  

arbuz Senior Member • Posts: 2,247
Re: a bit ridiculous

Michael M Fliegel wrote:

Each lens has its uses. The PL25 is sharp, but not as sharp as the 14-42EZ at 14mm, and certainly not as sharp as the 12-32 at 12mm.

but at 25mm it's the sharpest

 arbuz's gear list:arbuz's gear list
Samsung NX300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Samsung NX30 Nikon D600 Samsung NX 45mm F1.8 2D/3D +14 more
Michael M Fliegel
Michael M Fliegel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,098
Re: a bit ridiculous

Great lens but not so sharp at 32mm.

 Michael M Fliegel's gear list:Michael M Fliegel's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +11 more
Landscapephoto99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,734
Re: Let's try not quick and dirty, but useful

Certainly in good light, it will be hard to tell the difference between the lenses except blown up 200% for pixel peepers.  Maybe bokeh?  But in low light is where the PL 25mm shines.

Michael M Fliegel
Michael M Fliegel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,098
Re: Let's try not quick and dirty, but useful

No disrespect meant for the PL25, which is a great lens!

 Michael M Fliegel's gear list:Michael M Fliegel's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +11 more
Landscapephoto99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,734
Re: Let's try not quick and dirty, but useful

Michael M Fliegel wrote:

No disrespect meant for the PL25, which is a great lens!

Yes, no problem.  I have the 12-50 and the PL25.  Each has its own uses.  There is just something about the look of photos taken with the PL25 that is hard to describe, like a 3D effect...but maybe it's the Leica name getting to me

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads