does anyone out there own a D810 that is in the unaffected serial number range?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions
Newguy703
Regular MemberPosts: 436
Like?
does anyone out there own a D810 that is in the unaffected serial number range?
4 weeks ago

wondering when I should buy a new D810, so i don't have the hassle of sending it back and forth

Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Nephi
Regular MemberPosts: 116
Like?
Re: does anyone out there own a D810 that is in the unaffected serial number range?
In reply to Newguy703, 4 weeks ago

I second that request.  Are all D810s affected? I was about to buy one but I don't want to buy a new camera and then send it in.

Anyone have a serial number NOT on the list?

-Brian

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ruifonikon
Forum MemberPosts: 81Gear list
Like?
Re: does anyone out there own a D810 that is in the unaffected serial number range?
In reply to Nephi, 4 weeks ago

Mine is in the list, but I tested several times and I see no thermal noise issue with mine D810 at all.

S/N 3007xxx

-- hide signature --

ruifonikon's gear list:ruifonikon's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +12 more
IrGoofy
Regular MemberPosts: 186Gear list
Like?

I believe Nikon recalled all D810. As soon as you enter the serial number, it will pop-up an affected message. I think Nikon is playing a safe card. However, not all D810 is having issue.

My camera is among the early release patch, 3002xxx. But I do not have issue. I do not test with black screen and increase exposure. I tested it in a practical way that I would capture images for clients. Put on black glass and capture image.

IMHO, do not panic. D810 is a great camera.

IrGoofy's gear list:IrGoofy's gear list
Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Nikon D7100 Nikon D810 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
Newguy703
Regular MemberPosts: 436
Like?
In reply to IrGoofy, 4 weeks ago

arrrgh I meant not in the affected range

wnpoc
Forum MemberPosts: 88
Like?
In reply to IrGoofy, 4 weeks ago

same situation here, is there any way to know if the camera is affected or not before i can buy it

Tzvi R
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?

Hi!

In past advisories, Nikon usually posted ranges of serial numbers. I suspect that this strategy where one has to type their serial is used to cover that all cameras are affected, that this is a result of some hardware design issue. (not necessarily a problem but perhaps a conscious design decision that backfired unexpectedly) It is also unclear as to what "firmware" is being upgraded? If it's a regular camera firmware then why didn't they just post it online? This may be some firmware belonging to an internal part, to which the user has no direct access.

There is always some degree of noise in every sensor - and this manifests itself especially in raw images when you push the exposure quite a bit, making the noise clearly apparent.

I don't have the "black dot" marking (I suspect that only the most recent batches may have it) and my D810 shows as affected on Nikon's web site. That said, I have taken several long exposures with my camera, starting from pure black (cap on, viewfinder covered) to brighter and brighter scenes by manipulating the aperture while shooting 30 seconds exposures at a white wall (since the sample images I saw posted on the web manifested noise only in partly bright areas, not in the extremely dark or extremely bright ones - but a whole flurry of sprinkled white dust).

I took RAW images of a white wall (perhaps that's a bad subject? Perhaps I should have chosen a background with some distinct color) all in 30 seconds exposures with variable apertures. Opening them all in LR5.6 they show the average gray level at 68%, 47%, 30% and 0.3% (pure dark).

I zoomed in at 1:1 and scanned for white spots, while playing with the exposure slider pushing it both up and down a few stops (while avoiding blowing highlights).

My conclusions:

None of the bright images (that contained some light in them, that weren't completely dark) had demonstrated any white spots. It seems like even the small amount of light had completely overcome the noise levels.

The completely dark scene on the other hand, had started showing randomly distributed white spots when the exposure slider went past 2 stops, however, this is to be expected since noise is a dominant factor in such a dark image, and pushing 3 stops I can see the noisy spots at 1.5-2% brightness (using the white balance picker at 11:1 magnification). Increasing the exposure, clarity and reducing contrast will make the effect worse.

So I can't say I see the results reported by others. Either I'm not replicating the conditions correctly or there's some variance between the cameras and I got lucky (or they got unlucky). All I see is standard, expected noise levels.

Here's my 30sec fully dark image through various processing steps. This is the only image that exhibited visible noise. The brighter images did not show any noticeable noise.

Dark frame, 30 sec exposure f/5.6 with the cap on, taken from a 14bit lossless compressed raw file

Perhaps trying to shoot at the sky during a dark night may be more revealing although I suspect that the stars may interfere with test

-- hide signature --

Sefer

Tzvi R's gear list:Tzvi R's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +7 more
wnpoc
Forum MemberPosts: 88
Like?
In reply to wnpoc, 4 weeks ago

wnpoc wrote:

same situation here, is there any way to know if the camera is affected or not before i can buy it

ok i got it, the one with a black tag in the tripod socket is inspected and adjusted

Ilian K
Forum MemberPosts: 76Gear list
Like?
In reply to wnpoc, 4 weeks ago

I just wonder if it matters where the camera comes from? Mine was made inThiland..I don't think that Nikon has recalled all cameras...it makes no sense!

The same with my first D800E, was made in Thiland and had focus issue. Second one made in Japan and no issues?

Ilian K's gear list:Ilian K's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +1 more
JJ10
Contributing MemberPosts: 897
Like?

I am just going to use my phone to tap in the serial number in the store before I buy. If its dodgy then I don't buy and I wait for new stock. Here in Australia though Nikon Australia has nothing up about the recall though so maybe the stock we got is OK.

raymondg
Contributing MemberPosts: 525Gear list
Like?
Re: Details of the Service Advice is on the Nikon Australia website./nt
In reply to JJ10, 4 weeks ago
-- hide signature --
 raymondg's gear list:raymondg's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 27,140Gear list
Like?
In reply to JJ10, 4 weeks ago

JJ10 wrote:

I am just going to use my phone to tap in the serial number in the store before I buy. If its dodgy then I don't buy and I wait for new stock. Here in Australia though Nikon Australia has nothing up about the recall though so maybe the stock we got is OK.

Nikon Australia has a service advisory here:

http://www.nikon.com.au/en_AU/service-and-support/nikon-service-advisory.tag/en_Asia/service_advisory_notices/d810_service_advisory.dcr

I took mine in to Nikon here in Sydney and they did the firmware fix in under 45minutes, no big deal.

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
MisterHairy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,223Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ilian K, 4 weeks ago

Ilian K wrote:

I just wonder if it matters where the camera comes from? Mine was made inThiland..I don't think that Nikon has recalled all cameras...it makes no sense!

The same with my first D800E, was made in Thiland and had focus issue. Second one made in Japan and no issues?

I think that it is 100% safe to say that you misread the "made in" label on your first D800E. They were all made in Japan. Maybe you bought a fake?

MisterHairy's gear list:MisterHairy's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +14 more
MisterHairy
Like?
In reply to Lance B, 4 weeks ago

Hey Lance. Has the firmware update "fixed" your camera? Is it now completely spot free, even in a torture test? Did you get the impression that this fix would get rolled into a general firmware release at some point in the future?

Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +14 more
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 27,140Gear list
Like?
In reply to MisterHairy, 4 weeks ago

MisterHairy wrote:

Hey Lance. Has the firmware update "fixed" your camera? Is it now completely spot free, even in a torture test? Did you get the impression that this fix would get rolled into a general firmware release at some point in the future?

As you know, my D810 was pretty good before the "fix". I would not say it was completely spot free but it is marginally better than it was which was good before the fix, but still way better than my D800E. There will not be a firmware update that can be done over the net, according to the techy I spoke to. I got the feling it is too big and complicated.

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
jonstatt
Regular MemberPosts: 411
Like?
Could you post your firmware numbers now?

Lance B wrote:

MisterHairy wrote:

As you know, my D810 was pretty good before the "fix". I would not say it was completely spot free but it is marginally better than it was which was good before the fix, but still way better than my D800E. There will not be a firmware update that can be done over the net, according to the techy I spoke to. I got the feling it is too big and complicated.

See this is the ridiculous thing I knew would happen. There are always ways to make those pixels appear such as long exposures, looking in shadows and raising the exposure on the computer. To expect zero spots is just not going to happen or there would be no need for the LENR in the first place. So it's marginally better...meaning it is very hard indeed to know if your camera is really affected or not, because it will never be totally spot free! As I showed yesterday, the lens cap test is NOT sufficient to test for this. You need to do a dark image, long exposure with plenty of shadows and then pull up the exposure on the computer and check in those darkest areas

Lance, could you post your A/B firmware numbers from the menus??

JJ10
Contributing MemberPosts: 897
Like?

Thanks -I could not see it this morning when I looked but it was before I had my coffee.

Apparently the problem is an embedded software coding error - somebody stuffed up a line of code somewhere along the production line.

MisterHairy
Like?

Lance B wrote:

MisterHairy wrote:

Thanks for the update. Saw your shots and it does look cleaner. Good job.

engbert
Senior MemberPosts: 2,407Gear list
Like?
In reply to MisterHairy, 4 weeks ago

I have one. If I were offered a job which required me to do 1.2 crop and long exposures, and no other setting would do, I suppose I would send it in to be fixed.

Can anyone imagine such a job? Anyway, I am retired. It seems ot me to be a lot of fuss about not very much.

ruifonikon
Forum MemberPosts: 81Gear list
Like?
In reply to engbert, 4 weeks ago

engbert wrote:

(...) It seems ot me to be a lot of fuss about not very much.

Indeed. I totally agree.

-- hide signature --

ruifonikon's gear list:ruifonikon's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads