Sony A7 or A7s

Started 1 month ago | Discussions
Perry Cho
Regular MemberPosts: 336Gear list
Like?
Sony A7 or A7s
1 month ago

Hi all,

I already own the A7r for my landscape photography and own the Sony Carl Zeiss 35, 55 and 24-70 lenses as well as the metabone lV for my canon lenses.

Now I want to purchase a camera for my wife. My wife have owned many point and shoot cameras including the Canon M. I find that I seldom use her family and friend shots because it is either too grainy or subjects have red eyes from the internal flash of most point and shoot cameras's.

I initailly thought the A7 would be a great camera for her. However she will be too lazy to attach the flash to the camera in darkish environment, I thought the A7s would be a great camera for her with the low light capability and good high iso images as she generally shoot indoors.

Bearing in mind I already have A7r and the A7s would be a great combo for me as well (Great way to buy camera for wife that is really for me )

What do you guys think, indoor family shots, A7 or A7s for my wife?

Perry

Perry Cho's gear list:Perry Cho's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rurikw
Regular MemberPosts: 172Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony A7 or A7s
In reply to Perry Cho, 1 month ago

How about buying her a cam with one of those built-in flashes that you can turn upwards with your finger so you get reflected light from ceiling instead of the harsh direct light. Then gently coax your wife into trying that technique. Maybe she will see how much nicer the shots look. I believe some of the nexes have that feature, Sony was probably first with that, too, now aped by everybody. By the way red eyes aren't hard to correct in post.

rurikw's gear list:rurikw's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jbwong
Regular MemberPosts: 177Gear list
Like?

A7s if you can afford one

stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,613Gear list
Like?

Perry Cho wrote:

Hi all,

I already own the A7r for my landscape photography and own the Sony Carl Zeiss 35, 55 and 24-70 lenses as well as the metabone lV for my canon lenses.

Now I want to purchase a camera for my wife. My wife have owned many point and shoot cameras including the Canon M. I find that I seldom use her family and friend shots because it is either too grainy or subjects have red eyes from the internal flash of most point and shoot cameras's.

I initailly thought the A7 would be a great camera for her. However she will be too lazy to attach the flash to the camera in darkish environment, I thought the A7s would be a great camera for her with the low light capability and good high iso images as she generally shoot indoors.

If you're relying on ISO 10000 instead of flash, the images will be grainy after 5x7. Why not look for something with a built in flash?

Bearing in mind I already have A7r and the A7s would be a great combo for me as well (Great way to buy camera for wife that is really for me )

Perry

Why not Fuji X20s, Sony RX100 III, etc.? Oh wait, I get it. You're planning to carry both...

hiepphotog
Regular MemberPosts: 208Gear list
Like?

IMO, the A7s and A7r combo is the best right now (and you know it :D). The A7 would be a good for a one-cam-only set-up.

Perry Cho wrote:

Hi all,

Perry

hiepphotog's gear list:hiepphotog's gear list
Sony Alpha 7S Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/15 ZM +2 more
Perry Cho
Regular MemberPosts: 336Gear list
Like?
In reply to hiepphotog, 1 month ago

IMO, the A7s and A7r combo is the best right now (and you know it :D). The A7 would be a good for a one-cam-only set-up.

Perry Cho wrote:

Hi all,

Perry

Thanks everyone. Yes I know it is a great combo for me but I am not quite sure if the A7s would be a good general indoor people camera as the focus system in the A7 is more suited for people photography with face detection focusing system.

I was just trying to kill 2 birds with one stone. Bearing in mind the A7s is almost $900 more expensive than the A7
Perry

Perry Cho's gear list:Perry Cho's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R
hiepphotog
Regular MemberPosts: 208Gear list
Like?

Perry Cho wrote:

Thanks everyone. Yes I know it is a great combo for me but I am not quite sure if the A7s would be a good general indoor people camera as the focus system in the A7 is more suited for people photography with face detection focusing system.

I was just trying to kill 2 birds with one stone. Bearing in mind the A7s is almost $900 more expensive than the A7
Perry

Group and family shots are predictable that the difference between phase and contrast AF is minimal. You gain the better AF in indoor, low light with the A7s (Phase would not be as useful).

hiepphotog's gear list:hiepphotog's gear list
Sony Alpha 7S Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/15 ZM +2 more
debo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,567Gear list
Like?
How about a RX1?

Leaf shutter

flash

über sharp lens

razor thin DOFs

weighs less than 500g

Subtle expensive but used might not be that bad ....

debo's gear list:debo's gear list
Sony RX1 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8
debo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,567Gear list
Like?
Or a A7s + FE35
In reply to debo, 1 month ago

Might not be as gr8 as RX-1 but might be 70-80% close ....

debo's gear list:debo's gear list
Sony RX1 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads