G1X MkII haze at F2.0 macro, solution?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Jostian
Senior MemberPosts: 1,455Gear list
Like?
G1X MkII haze at F2.0 macro, solution?
4 months ago

Was wondering if perhaps a solution for that slight haze at f2.0 at shorter distances could be the use of a 'haze' filter, would this have any impact on that slight haze I wonder?  Just curious if anyone has tried this, I would be interested to see photo comparison at F2.0 of a flower or something with and without a 'haze' filter.

-- hide signature --

Jostian

Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D750 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,672Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X MkII haze at F2.0 macro, solution?
In reply to Jostian, 4 months ago

Jostian wrote:

Was wondering if perhaps a solution for that slight haze at f2.0 at shorter distances could be the use of a 'haze' filter, would this have any impact on that slight haze I wonder? Just curious if anyone has tried this, I would be interested to see photo comparison at F2.0 of a flower or something with and without a 'haze' filter.

I don't think so, Jostian.  A haze filter is for when there is actual haze in the atmosphere.  What you are seeing is an artificial haze that is caused by the camera lens reaching the limit of its correction ability when used at f2 and very close.  The only way I know to really get rid of it under those circumstances is to stop down, or shoot from a little further back, or both.

The lens behaves much like the Canon 50/1.4 shooting at f1.4.  It creates kind of a dreamy look, or haze.  But stopped down to f2.8, it is much clearer and sharper.  This lens behaves similarly.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale
Moderator Canon Powershot and 7D/XXD forums

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,549Gear list
Like?

As said, with this class of cam, you are not supposed to shoot macro at f/2 anyway. I have my 50mm f/1.4 and it is very dreamy and hazy until f/2, then it´s still not really sharp until f/3,5, and then it´s very sharp at f/4.5 - f/8. This is how fast budget lenses work. If you want better, get ready to spend $$$$...

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
GaryJP
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,102Gear list
Like?

I don't think so, but I think even stopping down to f2.8 already reduces it significantly. As others have noted, one would not usually shoot macros at f2 anyhow. What I do find reduces it somewhat, because it is a form of diffusion, is adjusting the "clarity" slider in Lightroom.

These are not macros but they DID have a little diffusion initially.

-- hide signature --
 GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 II Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon EOS-1D Mark III +7 more
Jostian
Senior MemberPosts: 1,455Gear list
Like?
In reply to GaryJP, 4 months ago

GaryJP wrote:

I don't think so, but I think even stopping down to f2.8 already reduces it significantly. As others have noted, one would not usually shoot macros at f2 anyhow. What I do find reduces it somewhat, because it is a form of diffusion, is adjusting the "clarity" slider in Lightroom.

These are not macros but they DID have a little diffusion initially.

-- hide signature --

Thanks for the clarification and explanations guys, appreciated. Thought I ask at least.

-- hide signature --

Jostian

Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D750 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
flektogon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,296
Like?

Jostian wrote:

Was wondering if perhaps a solution for that slight haze at f2.0 at shorter distances could be the use of a 'haze' filter, would this have any impact on that slight haze I wonder? Just curious if anyone has tried this, I would be interested to see photo comparison at F2.0 of a flower or something with and without a 'haze' filter.

-- hide signature --

Jostian

The only right solution is to avoid such F ratios in the macro photography. For example in the manual for the Fuji X100s is (allegedly, as what I know from my friend, the X100s owner) stated that for the macro shooting set the F ration to 1:8 at least.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads