Looking for Wireless remote shutter release for FZ1000

Started Aug 14, 2014 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
2stepbay
Regular MemberPosts: 230Gear list
Like?
Looking for Wireless remote shutter release for FZ1000
Aug 14, 2014

Anyone come across a wireless remote shutter release, compatible with the FZ1000?

I tried the wifi option with my iPod Touch. Way to clunky for what I want...which is a simple shutter release. My primary use will be to activate the shutter wirelessly when shooting a bracketed shot from a tripod.

Do not understand why Panasonic chose to omit the 2 or 10 second time release option for a bracketed shot.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Hatstand
Senior MemberPosts: 1,188
Like?
Re: Looking for Wireless remote shutter release for FZ1000
In reply to 2stepbay, Aug 14, 2014

2stepbay wrote:

Anyone come across a wireless remote shutter release, compatible with the FZ1000?

I tried the wifi option with my iPod Touch. Way to clunky for what I want...which is a simple shutter release. My primary use will be to activate the shutter wirelessly when shooting a bracketed shot from a tripod.

Do not understand why Panasonic chose to omit the 2 or 10 second time release option for a bracketed shot.

I use the same one that worked for my FZ200, and the FZ150 before that:

This one

Panasonic's wired shutter release DMW-RSL1 should also work, or indeed anything compatible with it (like my wireless one)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tyampel
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,809
Like?
In reply to Hatstand, Aug 14, 2014

Check out this one at Amazon.

100M Wireless remote shutter for Panasonic.

You don't need to go for the expensive ones.

Good luck.

-
Tod Yampel
Duck Club member

2stepbay
Like?
In reply to tyampel, Aug 14, 2014

tyampel wrote:

Check out this one at Amazon.

100M Wireless remote shutter for Panasonic.

You don't need to go for the expensive ones.

Good luck.

-
Tod Yampel
Duck Club member

Thanks...

supplying the link .

kkardster
Senior MemberPosts: 6,316Gear list
Like?
In reply to 2stepbay, Aug 14, 2014

I like the Pixel TW-282 wireless remote shutter/intervalometer. Great range and no line-of-sight restriction as required by IR units. You pay a little more for the intervalometer model and since the FZ1000 includes that capability you can get by with one of their lesser remote shutter-only units like the RW-221 should suffice.

Since these aftermarket remotes are compatible with many different cameras, make sure it is labeled/intended for Panasonic/Leica cameras to ensure the proper adapter cable is provided.

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Alexander Meredith
Contributing MemberPosts: 504Gear list
Like?
In reply to tyampel, Aug 14, 2014

I have been using this brand of wireless remote for several years. Only C$25

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/PIXEL-RW-221-L1-RS1-Wireless-Shutter-Remote-Control-For-Panasonic-Gh2-G2-G1-G10-/300948017657?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4611e651f9

Receiver and transmitter take AAA batteries.....Just order the right cable for your camera brand. If you change brands you can just order a different cable, no need to purchase another remote.

Alexander

Alexander Meredith's gear list:Alexander Meredith's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1s
2stepbay
Like?
In reply to Hatstand, Sep 12, 2014

Purchased it via Amazon . Works perfectly with the FZ1000. Easy setup and great range. On the Amazon feedback page for this item found these instructions (much better than what comes with the unit):

1) Pay particularly attention to the markings on the receiver body (and not to the springs) when inserting the batteries. I inserted one of the batteries backwards.

2) Make sure all the little switches in the bottoms of the transmitter and receiver are all facing the same way (toward the numbers)

3) The angle connector goes on the camera, the straight one on the receiver

4) The transmitter is always on

5) Hold the on/off switch on the receiver down until the light starts flashing red

6) Hold button on transmitter half way down for focusing (green light on both transmitter and receiver)

7) Press button on transmitter all the way in for shutter release (red light on both the transmitter and receiver)

8) Make sure the connectors are fully inserted

Only the single shot option was tested so far. It works. I hope the other options work as well!

HampshireIan
Regular MemberPosts: 254
Like?
In reply to kkardster, 5 months ago

Hi kkardster,

Hopefully you'll see this bump to the thread and your reply on it, failing that, maybe someone else can help me.

I've just bought an FZ1000 and have been looking about for remotes.  With this one, I can see that one part is mounted on top of the camera - does this then mean that the flash is not able to be used, or am I missing something?

Many thanks.

kkardster wrote:

I like the Pixel TW-282 wireless remote shutter/intervalometer. Great range and no line-of-sight restriction as required by IR units. You pay a little more for the intervalometer model and since the FZ1000 includes that capability you can get by with one of their lesser remote shutter-only units like the RW-221 should suffice.

Since these aftermarket remotes are compatible with many different cameras, make sure it is labeled/intended for Panasonic/Leica cameras to ensure the proper adapter cable is provided.

-- hide signature --

Bruce

sherman_levine
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,548Gear list
Like?
In reply to HampshireIan, 5 months ago

HampshireIan wrote:

Hi kkardster,

Hopefully you'll see this bump to the thread and your reply on it, failing that, maybe someone else can help me.

I've just bought an FZ1000 and have been looking about for remotes. With this one, I can see that one part is mounted on top of the camera - does this then mean that the flash is not able to be used, or am I missing something?

Many thanks.

kkardster wrote:

I like the Pixel TW-282 wireless remote shutter/intervalometer. Great range and no line-of-sight restriction as required by IR units. You pay a little more for the intervalometer model and since the FZ1000 includes that capability you can get by with one of their lesser remote shutter-only units like the RW-221 should suffice.

-- hide signature --

Bruce

The hotshoe mount is just for convenience. The actual connection to the camera is via a small cable. You can use the flash without problems.

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P900
kkardster
Like?
In reply to sherman_levine, 5 months ago

Sherm is correct - it's only for convenience when you don't need the flash. I have a piece of 2-sided Velcro material (pile side exposed) wrapped around my camera strap and I've attached a bit of self-adhesive Velcro hook material to my lens cap and to the remote receiver so I can secure either to the strap when necessary.

-- hide signature --

Bruce

HampshireIan
Regular MemberPosts: 254
Like?

Many thanks for the quick replies folks

GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,833Gear list
Like?
In reply to HampshireIan, 5 months ago

To add to this, I am using a Vello Free Wave unit from B&H.  I have both the Canon and Panasonic cables for it and it works very well.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS +1 more
jazzspot
Forum MemberPosts: 85Gear list
Like?

I purchased the RW-221 for my FZ1000 last week from an ebay seller. Arrived today, in less than a week, although I do live in NJ so not a long shipping distance. The seller is in Brooklyn, NY. Works great just goofing around in the house. Also controls 4k video on/off function. And best of all, only $17 with free shipping. Pixel RW-221 Wireless Shutter Remote Panasonic

For Burst mode shooting, you can override the burst mode that is one of the selections on the remote. The burst mode selection on the remote shoots less/slower shots than the burst mode on the camera's burst mode selection. To override the remote's burst mode, set the remote's selection to "Bulb" and set the camera's burst mode by using the left dial as you'd usually do. Press the remote shutter button halfway to focus, and press fully & release the remote shutter button to start the burst mode photo capture and to stop the burst mode from shooting, press the remote shutter button fully and release.

You can also shot 4k video by setting the dial to video/movie mode and the remote's selection to "Bulb". Press the remote shutter button halfway to focus, and press fully and release the remote shutter button to start video recording. To stop the video capture, press the remote shutter button fully and release to stop video capture.

jazzspot's gear list:jazzspot's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 +1 more
XVOYAGERX
Regular MemberPosts: 379Gear list
Like?

Can any wireless shutter unit for the FZ1000 work the `record` on/off mode when the camera is in `video mode` ?

XVOYAGERX's gear list:XVOYAGERX's gear list
XVOYAGERX
Like?
In reply to jazzspot, 5 months ago

Jazzspot, Can your wireless remote work video on/off in standard HD mode?.

kkardster
Like?
In reply to XVOYAGERX, 5 months ago

XVOYAGERX wrote:

Can any wireless shutter unit for the FZ1000 work the `record` on/off mode when the camera is in `video mode` ?

Normally these 3rd party remotes simply emulate the standard shutter button - including both half and full presses. Therefore, whatever can be controlled via the standard shutter button should in theory be controllable via the remote as well - you just need to ensure the camera is configured as needed beforehand.

So if the camera is configured to shoot video using the shutter button [rather then the dedicated red video button], then the remote should work for video.

It also means that the remote shutter can be used to control burst duration as well. As long as you hold down the remote shutter button, the camera will continue shooting (subject to normal buffering, of course).

-- hide signature --

Bruce

sherman_levine
Like?
In reply to XVOYAGERX, 5 months ago

XVOYAGERX wrote:

The remote emulates the shutter release button, so yes.

However if the camera enters the "sleep" mode (where the lens retracts), it will wake up with the shutter release button, but not with the remote.

kkardster
Like?
In reply to sherman_levine, 5 months ago

sherman_levine wrote:

XVOYAGERX wrote:

However if the camera enters the "sleep" mode (where the lens retracts), it will wake up with the shutter release button, but not with the remote.

Good point, Sherm,

My FZ200 battery life is good enough [and the sleep mode frustrating enough] that I disable sleep mode and never face that issue - I leave the camera on most of the time and turn it off when not needed. I understand that the FZ1000 battery life is good but somewhat less.

-- hide signature --

Bruce

sherman_levine
Like?

kkardster wrote:

sherman_levine wrote:

XVOYAGERX wrote:

Good point, Sherm,

My FZ200 battery life is good enough [and the sleep mode frustrating enough] that I disable sleep mode and never face that issue - I leave the camera on most of the time and turn it off when not needed. I understand that the FZ1000 battery life is good but somewhat less.

-- hide signature --

Bruce

Agree - My comment was more a warning that you couldn't for example put the camera on a tripod near the bird feeder for a day and trigger it via the remote whenever something interesting passed by unless you suppressed sleep mode and had an auxiliary power source.

XVOYAGERX
Like?

Thanks for the info my friends.

Allan.