D810 Time Lapse - It's a BIG deal!

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Paul Richman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,111Gear list
Like?
D810 Time Lapse - It's a BIG deal!
4 months ago

For those of you who saw this (buried) in my earlier post, please ignore.  I'm reposting this here to give it proper visibility.

With the D810, time lapse is so easy.  Set it up in the menus, go on tripod, begin recording, play a few games of solitaire on your smartphone, and then voila, thousands of images just taken are automatically combined into a time lapse movie.  WOW!

Alternatively, with most other cameras, take thousands of full frame shots, carrying tons of cards and batteries,  process them all, and then convert them to TL. That is indeed the other way of doing this, but UGH what a chore! Of course you can get better results that way, but at the moment, I'm quite happy with the quick and painless D810 (and D4) way.  Soon, I'll try the Time Lapse app on the Sony A7r to see how it compares.

Click here to see my first TL.  Below is its description on YouTube:

"Clouds have always fascinated me. They can create such fleeting abstract beauty in the sky. Soft sculptures of worldly creatures sometimes appear briefly. As a photographer, I appreciate the extent to which esthetic cloud formations can enhance photographs.

When you look at clouds in real time, they seem to stand still. Look at a time lapse movie like this one, with real time speed up by a factor of 60, and you see how they form and change.

With 2 minutes 35 seconds of1080p footage at 60 fps, there are 9300 images here. I hope you enjoy them all!"

Click the link below for some tips on D810 time lapse:

Tips on D810 Time Lapse

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul
http://PixelsByPaul.500px.COM
"There's a good picture nearby. Find it. Take it. Share it."

 Paul Richman's gear list:Paul Richman's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +11 more
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
aut0maticdan
Contributing MemberPosts: 753Gear list
Like?
Re: D810 Time Lapse - It's a BIG deal!
In reply to Paul Richman, 4 months ago

This has been available in the d800 since it's launch as well. Great feature.

 aut0maticdan's gear list:aut0maticdan's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Paul Richman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,111Gear list
Like?
Re: D810 Time Lapse - It's a BIG deal!
In reply to aut0maticdan, 4 months ago

aut0maticdan wrote:

This has been available in the d800 since it's launch as well. Great feature.

For some reason, I never got into this with my D800e.  Even forgot it was there, so thanks for the reminder.

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul
http://PixelsByPaul.500px.COM
"There's a good picture nearby. Find it. Take it. Share it."

 Paul Richman's gear list:Paul Richman's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,263Gear list
Like?
Re: D810 Time Lapse - It's a BIG deal!
In reply to Paul Richman, 4 months ago

I thought I saw a review that the D610 can do the same thing.

 ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
iwannabesedated
Senior MemberPosts: 1,036Gear list
Like?
Re: D810 Time Lapse - It's a BIG deal!
In reply to Paul Richman, 4 months ago

Your cloud video is very cool! Thanks for sharing it here! I now feel inspired to give the time lapse feature a try! -iwbs

 iwannabesedated's gear list:iwannabesedated's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Paul Richman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,111Gear list
Like?
Re: D810 Time Lapse - It's a BIG deal!
In reply to iwannabesedated, 4 months ago

iwannabesedated wrote:

Your cloud video is very cool! Thanks for sharing it here! I now feel inspired to give the time lapse feature a try! -iwbs

Great!  That's what I was hoping for.  It's really fun, and so easy....

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul
http://PixelsByPaul.500px.COM
"There's a good picture nearby. Find it. Take it. Share it."

 Paul Richman's gear list:Paul Richman's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Paul Richman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,111Gear list
Like?
Be sure to view the TL above in Full Screen and 1080p (nt)
In reply to Paul Richman, 4 months ago
-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul
http://PixelsByPaul.500px.COM
"There's a good picture nearby. Find it. Take it. Share it."

 Paul Richman's gear list:Paul Richman's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marianne Oelund
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,657Gear list
Like?
A fascinating study
In reply to Paul Richman, 4 months ago

Paul Richman wrote:

Click here to see my first TL. Below is its description on YouTube:

"_Clouds have always fascinated me. They can create such fleeting abstract beauty in the sky. Soft sculptures of worldly creatures sometimes appear briefly. As a photographer, I appreciate the extent to which aesthetic cloud formations can enhance photographs._

Viewed this way, you can much better see the complex interplays between winds at various levels, turbulence, solar flux/heating, humidity, thermals, etc., and how they create the temperature/pressure/humidity gradients that produce weather. Gives one a deeper appreciation of the daunting task that weather forecasters face.

What would be especially interesting to see, is the difference between daytime patterns and night-time patterns, using a moonlit night. There must be a significant change once the solar driver is removed.

There are also other types of "fluids" which would be interesting to study, such as population (crowd) movement and traffic streams. For example, most people do not appreciate that a traffic stream on a highway obeys many fluid-flow laws, especially wave propagation. A time-lapse view would make these behaviors clear to see.

-- hide signature --

Qualities possessed by God in infinite proportion: Love, Grace, Power, Righteousness, Wisdom, . . .
Qualities possessed by humans in infinite proportion: Ignorance.
- Marianne

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Paul Richman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,111Gear list
Like?
Re: A fascinating study
In reply to Marianne Oelund, 4 months ago

Marianne Oelund wrote:

Paul Richman wrote:

Click here to see my first TL. Below is its description on YouTube:

"_Clouds have always fascinated me. They can create such fleeting abstract beauty in the sky. Soft sculptures of worldly creatures sometimes appear briefly. As a photographer, I appreciate the extent to which aesthetic cloud formations can enhance photographs._

Viewed this way, you can much better see the complex interplays between winds at various levels, turbulence, solar flux/heating, humidity, thermals, etc., and how they create the temperature/pressure/humidity gradients that produce weather. Gives one a deeper appreciation of the daunting task that weather forecasters face.

What would be especially interesting to see, is the difference between daytime patterns and night-time patterns, using a moonlit night. There must be a significant change once the solar driver is removed.

There are also other types of "fluids" which would be interesting to study, such as population (crowd) movement and traffic streams. For example, most people do not appreciate that a traffic stream on a highway obeys many fluid-flow laws, especially wave propagation. A time-lapse view would make these behaviors clear to see.

-- hide signature --

Qualities possessed by God in infinite proportion: Love, Grace, Power, Righteousness, Wisdom, . . .
Qualities possessed by humans in infinite proportion: Ignorance.
- Marianne

Marianne, so good to hear from you.  How's your skating going?  I haven't been to Seattle in quite awhile.

Thanks for some terrific and eloquent points in your reply!  I like your signature quote as well.  However, I believe everything in this universe is finite (except perhaps human ignorance!), and so we all have a time lapse existence, with plank's constant being our "interval".

Best wishes from Colorado...

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul
http://PixelsByPaul.500px.COM
"There's a good picture nearby. Find it. Take it. Share it."

 Paul Richman's gear list:Paul Richman's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
N0WhereMan
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
Re: D810 Time Lapse - It's a BIG deal!
In reply to Paul Richman, 4 months ago

Cool Video, I guess the only thing that bugs me about Time Lapse is the number of Shutter Actuation it can rack up.  15-20 videos like that and one could in theory need a shutter replacement, am I correct in thinking that?

-- hide signature --

Anywhere Photography
NoWhereMan!

 N0WhereMan's gear list:N0WhereMan's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Paul Richman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,111Gear list
Like?
Re: D810 Time Lapse - It's a BIG deal!
In reply to N0WhereMan, 4 months ago

N0WhereMan wrote:

Cool Video, I guess the only thing that bugs me about Time Lapse is the number of Shutter Actuation it can rack up. 15-20 videos like that and one could in theory need a shutter replacement, am I correct in thinking that?

-- hide signature --

Anywhere Photography
NoWhereMan!

Your certainly on the right track.  Each shutter release must count.  I like to shoot at 1 sec intervals for from 5 to 25 minutes (depending on how the scene changes), and make 1080p TLs at 60fps.  The D810 has been tested to 200,000 clicks (but will probably last much longer), which would yield 333 minutes of TL.  This would equate to almost 30 TL's like the one in my post, so you're in the right ballpark.

However, a shutter replacement for the D810 would cost less than $300 and take about 2 weeks.  So, it's quite replaceable, especially since I use two bodies.

I also have several A7r bodies, and its TL app is not too bad, so I may start doing TL with them as well.

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul
http://PixelsByPaul.500px.COM
"There's a good picture nearby. Find it. Take it. Share it."

 Paul Richman's gear list:Paul Richman's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads