What lenses do you use/enjoy using with your Canon 6D?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
George Spencer
Contributing MemberPosts: 638Gear list
Like?
Re: What lenses do you use/enjoy using with your Canon 6D?
In reply to cybersimba, 4 months ago

I use my 24-105 95% of the time.  The prime lens that gives me the most satisfaction is my 50MM L but I don't use it as much as I should.

George Spencer's gear list:George Spencer's gear list
Leica M8 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Spad16
Contributing MemberPosts: 932Gear list
Like?
In reply to Andy Dan, 4 months ago

Good review, thanks. It also explains why I've never been able to find the focus-shift. I never shoot close up at 70mm, you notice as soon as you try and focus that it doesn't look good, and then I always go straight into macro mode. It's possible the focus-shift is there, it's just somewhere I never go!

/Neil

Spad16's gear list:Spad16's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM
brightcolours
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,929
Like?
Nicer bokeh
In reply to gipper51, 4 months ago

gipper51 wrote:

I don't use it enough mainly because of lack of free time lately, but the lens that probably gives me the most joy is my 20+ year old 80-200L (magic drain pipe)

Lovely rendering, nice images. This 80-200mm has a nicer bokeh rendering than the current 70-200mm f2.8 L IS USM II, so take care of your lovely lens.

and the pictures I take of my kids with it. I don't get it out as much as I should, but when I do it always gives lovely results.

Kasper FC
Regular MemberPosts: 215Gear list
Like?

cybersimba wrote:

How does 24-70 compare to 24-105? Any thoughts?

I've never had any of Canons 24-70's, but when i had the 24-105L i missed the ability to isolate properly with the f/2,8 aperture. The out of focus areas are just much nicer when shooting at f/2,8 or lower.

Now i have the tamron 24-70 VC, and its amazing, much much better than 24-105L. People who buy the 24-105L as a compromise, do a big mistake to not get the 24-70 Tamron, as i think the price is very similar.

The Canon 24-70 II is also very sharp, might be even sharper than the Tamron on average but thats not my brief experience. Of the pictures i shot handheld in the shop, i believe the tamron was a tiny bit sharper, but i don't judge on a handheld shop test. Various other online test show the Canon to be the best optically, but the difference is for sure something you can't see, only if your and advance pixel peeper and doing tests. Not in real world shots.

Thanks for the nice comments about my picture in the earlier post I appreciate it!

Kasper FC's gear list:Kasper FC's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
cybersimba
Regular MemberPosts: 124Gear list
Like?
In reply to George Spencer, 4 months ago

thanks. I see that you have 70-200 f4 as well as 70-300 IS USM (DO version). How does 70-200 f4 compare with 70-300 IS USM (DO or non DO but certainly non L version) especially on 6D?

~CyberSimba

cybersimba's gear list:cybersimba's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
Rock and Rollei
Regular MemberPosts: 435Gear list
Like?

My most-used lenses on it are the 24-70 f4 L IS - it balances better than the 24-105, has better IQ, and that really nifty near-macro facility. Really like the pairing. Also the 8-15 L - a lens that suits my vision, and is best suited to full frame cameras, the 70-300L, my favourite tele zoom, and my now rather venerable Sigma 12-24 - until the rumoured 11-24 L appears, I'll make do with this for extreme wideangle.

I also particularly like the 40mm STM just to make a really small, light package.

Rock and Rollei's gear list:Rock and Rollei's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 450D Kodak DCS Pro SLR/c Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +34 more
macky patalinghug
Senior MemberPosts: 1,147Gear list
Like?

Ken Rockwell, whom not everybody likes, suggested that almost any lens well perform well with the 6D. He said this in comparison to the 5D models. I am leaning towards believing this statement of his.

The 1st 4 pix were taken with the 100-300 f/4-5.6 USM. The 2nd 4 were taken with a Nikkor 75-150 AIS. The next 3 were taken with the 85mm f/1.8 while the last 2 were captured with a 35mm f/2.8

-- hide signature --

slowshotmax

macky patalinghug's gear list:macky patalinghug's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D90 Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-M1 Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +5 more
Kasper FC
Like?
In reply to macky patalinghug, 4 months ago

Ken Rockwell has a difference view than many other people. I think that when he is saying most lenses are performing well on the 6D he means: because the 6D can correct for most flaws a lens has, its performing well. Ken Rockwell is a guy who thinks that a lens has good enough IQ if its sharp on a post card sized photo, while others look if its sharp in a retina like resolution.

Its like he is a little behind, maybe Ken Rockwell thinks that people still print there photos? Well, i view mine on a retina display, and think that sharper lenses is more likely to produce a good picture.

Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
Andy Dan
Regular MemberPosts: 160Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kasper FC, 4 months ago

I agree with you...Ken seems to be locked in the 80's or 90's. Also what I don't like is that most of the time he is like encouraging jpeg over raw...which is a dumb thing to do regarding the newer sensors raw capabilities...

Another thing that annoys me is that he is fond of older metal lenses when it comes to built (heavy and non weather sealed) over the more advanced newer lenses that are made from engineering plastic and composites (even jet fighters use mostly composite materials and plastics for better performances than the old steel ones).

Andy Dan's gear list:Andy Dan's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM +4 more
cybersimba
Like?
In reply to Andy Dan, 4 months ago

Yup, agree with the metal obsession of his. He even has a column for "thread type" for lenses when he compares those. I can understand if plastic use in these lenses is really cheap quality but that is not the case as you pointed out. The world has moved ahead in producing high quality plastic like composite materials that you don't need to use metal when you don't. Simply because it actually shaves some weight and that is more important to many photographers. So yes, God knows whats up with "Ken and his metal obsession...". I do appreciate some of his common sense advice on the gear.

~CyberSimba

Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
BigBen08
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,594
Like?

My most used lens it the 24-70 f2.8 II. That's my walk-about lens when I shoot events. Car shows and museum displays are two examples.

For more reach I use my 70-200 f2.8 IS II.

That's all.

b19ddw
Regular MemberPosts: 113Gear list
Like?

Most used lens has to be the 70-200 f2.8L IS II, it's a beast but never fails to deliver ... followed closely by the 135L and 100L Macro. I've not used my 24-105L or 17-40L so tomorrow have arranged a part-exchange for the Canon 24-70 f2.8L II. Some examples of shots taken with the big bazooka:

Canon 6D - 70-200 f2.8L IS II

-- hide signature --

B19DDW:
www.flickr.com/photos/ddwebb/sets/

b19ddw's gear list:b19ddw's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
cybersimba
Like?
In reply to b19ddw, 4 months ago

Wow you use 135L and 70-200 f2.8II. Do you feel like you now have some level of duplication OR you think practically having both 135L and bazooka makes sense? Did you consider 70-200 f4 as well? Also does 100L macro obviate the need for 135L again or again there you think they both deserve to be in same bag and need not replace one another.

Thanks,

CyberSimba

Kasper FC
Like?

cybersimba wrote:

Wow you use 135L and 70-200 f2.8II. Do you feel like you now have some level of duplication OR you think practically having both 135L and bazooka makes sense? Did you consider 70-200 f4 as well? Also does 100L macro obviate the need for 135L again or again there you think they both deserve to be in same bag and need not replace one another.

Thanks,

CyberSimba

It would make sense. Because the 135L can delivers a nicer bokeh at f2. But does not have IS.

I don't think that you should get them both at first purchase though

b19ddw
Like?

cybersimba wrote:

Thanks,

CyberSimba

I owned the 70-200 f4L IS then purchased the 135L prior to upgrading to the 70-200 f2.8 IS II. The 135L is sometimes a better option when you don't want to carry a big intimidating white lens yet desire the milky cream bokeh that it can deliver.

The 100L I use for Macro and yes it is versatile to double as a portrait lens if required. The other 2 lenses (17-40L and 24-105L) are the only lenses I have that are unused, which is why I am exchanging for one that I know I will.

-- hide signature --

B19DDW:

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
cybersimba
Like?
In reply to Kasper FC, 4 months ago

I see. yes I actually did get 100mm 2.8 macro and 135L at once. But I got non L macro thinking that in roughly just under $1500 I get both macro and fantastic legendary 135L. This is all under assumption based on my research that 100mm non L IQ is same as that from L. L does have weather sealing and IS but I thought if I use it just for macro then non L would work fine and for portraits and other bokeh-li-cious things I can use 135L.

Geo Goetz
New MemberPosts: 19Gear list
Like?

35mm 2.0 IS -  My walk around lens.

85mm 1.8    -   When I need to get closer/portraits and stay stealthy and compact.

200mm 2.8 II -  When the 85 is too short, still steathy(except for the red ring) and compact.

My version of the holy trinity.  If necessary I can carry all three in a relatively small bag.

With just one attached lens I can go with a very small bag.  Even with the 200.

Geo Goetz's gear list:Geo Goetz's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
b19ddw
Like?
In reply to Geo Goetz, 4 months ago

Geo Goetz wrote:

35mm 2.0 IS - My walk around lens.

85mm 1.8 - When I need to get closer/portraits and stay stealthy and compact.

200mm 2.8 II - When the 85 is too short, still steathy(except for the red ring) and compact.

My version of the holy trinity. If necessary I can carry all three in a relatively small bag.

With just one attached lens I can go with a very small bag. Even with the 200.

Only lens missing from my Hebrew Trinity is the Canon 16-35 f2.8L II ... I can't really see myself parting with the 135L to enable me to get it. And, as I've acquired the Canon 24-70 f2.8L II earlier today, it's going to be a while before I get anymore glass.

-- hide signature --

B19DDW:

cybersimba
Like?
In reply to b19ddw, 4 months ago

How about comparing 70-200 f/4 L, 70-200 f/2.8 II, 200 f/2.8, 135L in IQ department

Also at the wide end this can be discussed between 17-40, 16-35 f2.8 or 16-35 f4 and a few more perhaps?

but specifically on 6D. Any inputs?

thanks,

~CyberSimba

Michael Thomas Mitchell
Forum ProPosts: 10,006
Like?

cybersimba wrote:

The purpose of this thread is to get a poll of some common lenses people use with Canon 6D. The objective is not to gather just the list of lenses people use but if they have any comments about some of those lenses as to why they are more appropriate for 6D or how 6D makes those lenses shine in a new light

thanks,

CyberSimba

I use the same 3 primary lenses with the 6D that I used on my older full-frame 1Ds Mark II. Specifically, they are the 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 IS L, and 70-200 f4 IS L.  The superior high ISO performance of the 6D made this "f4 trilogy" of L lenses even more versatile than they had been on the 1D.

I also own a number of good primes and the 70-200 f2.8 L IS Mark II. I prefer to use them, however, on either my APS-C (40D, 60D) or 1D (Mark III and Mark IV) bodies.

One exception to this is the 85 f1.8, which is good on ANY body.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads