What lenses do you use/enjoy using with your Canon 6D?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
cybersimba
Regular MemberPosts: 120Gear list
Like?
What lenses do you use/enjoy using with your Canon 6D?
2 months ago

The purpose of this thread is to get a poll of some common lenses people use with Canon 6D. The objective is not to gather just the list of lenses people use but if they have any comments about some of those lenses as to why they are more appropriate for 6D or how 6D makes those lenses shine in a new light

thanks,

CyberSimba

cybersimba's gear list:cybersimba's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
whvick
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,284
Like?
Re: What lenses do you use/enjoy using with your Canon 6D?
In reply to cybersimba, 2 months ago

I do not have a 6D but the same question would work well for me and my 5D

I like to take portraits of my grand kids and the 85/1.8 works great.

whvick

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JRET
Junior MemberPosts: 35Gear list
Like?
In reply to whvick, 2 months ago

Have used the 24-105 and the f/4 70-200 IS more than anything else ... so far.  The 24-105 on the 6D is much better than on the 50D and using the 6D/70-200 for a low light concert event was very nice.  I've also used it with the 85, the 40mm pancake, and the 28mm f/2.8 IS and was very pleased with the results.  Still need to try it with some other lenses and expect to enjoy it with each of my lenses.

JRET's gear list:JRET's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +11 more
Caerolle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,487Gear list
Like?

cybersimba wrote:

The purpose of this thread is to get a poll of some common lenses people use with Canon 6D. The objective is not to gather just the list of lenses people use but if they have any comments about some of those lenses as to why they are more appropriate for 6D or how 6D makes those lenses shine in a new light

thanks,

CyberSimba

My most-used lens is my 50/1.4. Not such a great lens, but 50 focal length really works well for most of what I do, and I have not been able to find another 50 that is enough better to replace, when everything is considered. I like the pictures from this pretty well, when it focuses right.

I also use my 90 macro a lot, more for close-ups of pets than for actual macro, though I do a fair amount of that, too. This lens gets quite a lot of use, everything from pets to flowers to just taking insanely detailed pictures of stuff sitting within a few feet of me for the fun of it.

I use my 85/1.8 a lot for portraits. It isn't so good for pets, the minimum focus distance is too far. The more I use this lens, the more I am impressed by it. I rented a Sigma 85/1.4 for a few days, and other than being able to shoot at wider aperture than 2, which I really don't anyway, my 85/1.8 was pretty close. Again, not an outstanding lens, but the price-to-performance ratio, combined with my actual needs, means I probably will not be replacing it with something else anytime soon. I do really like this focal length, and like having an 85 on my camera. I really loved the feel of my 6D with the Sigma!

I am really hoping that Canon will update the 50 and the 85 sometime soon. My biggest concern with that is that they will make them 2.0, so no room to stop down to get more sharpness. That would be fine, if they make then sharp wide open, but I don't know that is too likely to happen. If not, I would stick with my 20-year-designs. What I would really like to see is something between the consumer lenses and the L lenses, but that doesn't seem likely. Something with really great optics, but still plastic and other cost-saving approaches. Plus, of course, you pay for the L designation, and the red ring. I can live without that, I just want good lenses.

The only other lens I have is the 28/2.8 IS. I got that for the rare times I shoot wide angle. I have not really used it that much, but so far an not that impressed with it. It could just be the problem is that I am not that into that perspective.

I keep trying to decide on what lens to get next, but like I said above, I don't really see a compelling reason to replace what I have, and I don't really shoot long range, so I don't need long primes. I have rented the 135/2 a couple of times, based on its reputation, but honestly it hasnt really grabbed me. I mostly think of it as a good lens for outdoor portraits, but the ones I have shot with it really didn't seem that sharp, The ability to to give wonderful background blur is nice, though, and the pictures I got from it had sort of a dreamy quality. But I don't know, the next money I spend may be for the good Canon flash, to replace my cheap manual one, as I want to do high-speed sync. Or, maybe another strobe, or some more lighting modifiers.

Carol  

-- hide signature --

Not because I think they are good, but because I would like to improve (feel free to provide me with feedback):
http://500px.com/carolteater

Caerolle's gear list:Caerolle's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
riknash
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,436Gear list
Like?

thanks,

CyberSimba

I'm puzzled. Is there something specific with the 6D and not other full frame Canon cameras? Is the image sensor or the AF different and therefore how it focuses or captures the image from each lens unique with the 6D? For instance, I understand lenses on the Sony A7R work differently

riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 5D Mark III HTC One
gipper51
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,053Gear list
Like?

I don't use it enough mainly because of lack of free time lately, but the lens that probably gives me the most joy is my 20+ year old 80-200L (magic drain pipe) and the pictures I take of my kids with it. I don't get it out as much as I should, but when I do it always gives lovely results.

gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
cybersimba
Like?
In reply to riknash, 2 months ago

Canon 6D in DSLR line up is the best low light performing camera.

http://www.canonwatch.com/canon-eos-6d-king-low-light-photography/

So naturally that makes choice of lenses different and creative so to speak. I was just wondering to get poll on this so we all learn from how different photographers benefit from the low light advantages 6D has to offer.

thanks,

CyberSimba

Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,535Gear list
Like?
In reply to JRET, 2 months ago

24-105L & 70-300L IS USM lens which is on 99% of the time.  

-- hide signature --

Alan.
Great photography is about depth of feeling, not depth of field.
- Peter Adams

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +2 more
Spad16
Contributing MemberPosts: 876Gear list
Like?

I have continued to use my 400/5.6 heavily. When I had the 40D I used the 17-40L a lot, but now that rarely gets used, the 24-70/f4 is so much more useful (and better). The 24-70/f4 is a fantastic piece of work, it replaces two lens, the wide-angle and the macro, and takes lovely photos, it’s a perfect match for the 6D.

/Neil

Spad16's gear list:Spad16's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM
Damoo
Contributing MemberPosts: 628Gear list
Like?
'DONT'

I enjoy all the EF lenses I have when used with my 6D. Except that I feel the 100mm f2.8L IS USM lens performs almost the same or better on my 7D. (pixel density perhaps)

Damoo's gear list:Damoo's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7S Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +5 more
Higgins2002
Regular MemberPosts: 284Gear list
Like?

cybersimba wrote:

thanks,

CyberSimba

I use:

EF 40/2.8 STM ( when I want small package and good quality)

EF 70-200 f4 IS (very good IQ and isn't as big as the 2.8 versions )

Tamron 150-600 (when I want to get close to objects )

Higgins2002's gear list:Higgins2002's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD
Andy Dan
Regular MemberPosts: 154Gear list
Like?

My most used lens is the 24-70 f4L IS which sports the classic standard full-frame zoom range. It has very good IQ, the 24mm barrel distortion is low, it's light and compact and ballances very well with the 6D. Add the IS and you have a great walk around lens. The cherry on top is the macro mode (1:2 magnification) which is a good plus if you don't want to invest in a real, more specialized marcro lens or you don't want to carry the real macro prime with you when weight is an important factor (flights, hiking etc)

My second lens is the 100 f2.8L Macro ISthat offers me 1:1 macro (I love macro ). It's a great lens that has very good IQ. Apart from macro use, it's great for portraits so I won't invest in a135 f2L because it won't offer me the same polyvalence and I shoot more macro than portraiture.

My wish list includes the new 16-35 f4L IS and I look forward to the 70-200 f4L IS replacement that will correct the focus problem of the USM. Also the rumored 50 f1.8 IS is a tasty perspective as far as I'm concerned.

Andy Dan's gear list:Andy Dan's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM +4 more
Dustonian
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?

I can't get enough of the Canon 50mm 1.4 on my 6D. My jaw has dropped at some of the portraits of taken of my 3 year old nephew, and as a side note I'm impressed at some shots I've nailed of him playing outside because I was worried the 6D's AF wouldnt cut it, but it's been keeping up just fine.

The 50mm has also been my go to lens for street photography, landscape, and family gatherings. Switching to a FF has been a real eye opener.

I plan on getting an ultra wide within the next year so it'll be interesting to see if my walk around kit changes.

Kasper FC
Regular MemberPosts: 209Gear list
Like?

For sure of all the lenses i've had the 135L beats them all.. I just seem to get a lot better pictures when i use that lens.. I also think its one of the best Canon deals when talking of price vs quality!

Kasper FC's gear list:Kasper FC's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
Spad16
Like?
In reply to Andy Dan, 2 months ago

Agree about the 24-70/f4, its a terrific lens, for some reason a bit under-rated, I can't see why. It's the perfect all-in-one lens.
/Neil

Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM
Spad16
Like?
In reply to Kasper FC, 2 months ago

Lovely photo!
/Neil

cybersimba
Like?
In reply to Spad16, 2 months ago

How does 24-70 compare to 24-105? Any thoughts?

cybersimba
Like?
In reply to Kasper FC, 2 months ago

Great shot!

Andy Dan
Regular MemberPosts: 154Gear list
Like?

Less than half barrel distortion @24mm (it's even better than one of the 24-70 f2.8L II), one stop better IS and sharper across the zoom range.

http://digital.photorecommendations.com/recs/2013/01/canon-24-70-f2-8-mark-ii-vs-canon-24-70-f4-is-vs-canon-24-105-f4-is/

And here is my review of the lens:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3672375

Andy Dan's gear list:Andy Dan's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM +4 more
streeteyes
Regular MemberPosts: 199Gear list
Like?

The Sigma 35mm Art. Absolutely killer combo. My sample had no focusing issues unlike others who've reported problems. I also have the Canon 40mm pancake when I want to go light. Next lens will hopefully be the rumored Sigma 85mm Art. I'd also like the Canon 50mm L. --
Life is an infinite series of moments called now. My job is to capture them.

streeteyes's gear list:streeteyes's gear list
Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads