FZ1000 lockup

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Shaun Gibbs
Regular MemberPosts: 360Gear list
Like?
FZ1000 lockup
3 months ago

I was out yesterday taking pics of animals at a local koala sanctuary and had the FZ1000 on burst mode and jpg only. I was shooting until the frame rate started slowing as the buffer filled up. Then when I released the shutter the camera locked up completely and no amount of button pressing or switching on and off would work. I had to take the battery out which was a PITA because the tripod mount was attached.

It did this on two occasions, but all the photos appear to be there. Subsequent burst mode shoots much shorter in duration were ok. I am using a fast SDXC U3 card.

Can someone please test this scenario on their camera to see if it an issue or just my copy?

Thanks

Shaun

-- hide signature --

www.shaungibbs.com.au
"All you need is a FZ1000"

Shaun Gibbs's gear list:Shaun Gibbs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +2 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
axlotl
Contributing MemberPosts: 883
Like?
Re: FZ1000 lockup
In reply to Shaun Gibbs, 3 months ago

HI, some similar reports have been posted on this forum, apparently related to a specific make and model of memory card, I can't remember which.

Andrew

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Shaun Gibbs
Like?
In reply to axlotl, 3 months ago

Ok thanks. There are so many threads already. I'll have a look.

-- hide signature --

www.shaungibbs.com.au

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +2 more
Rodger1943
Senior MemberPosts: 4,607Gear list
Like?

Hi Shaun, I have given the burst mode on my camera a bit of a belting and not had it lock up like you are describing. I am using a Transcend card, if that's any help.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

Rodger1943's gear list:Rodger1943's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 +2 more
jacqui2
Regular MemberPosts: 273Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rodger1943, 3 months ago

I've had this happen on my fz1000 but I wasn't using burst mode, just taking photos normally and it just locked up until I took the battery out. It's only happened once so far a couple of days ago.

-- hide signature --
 jacqui2's gear list:jacqui2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Shaun Gibbs
Like?
In reply to Rodger1943, 3 months ago

Rodger1943 wrote:

Hi Shaun, I have given the burst mode on my camera a bit of a belting and not had it lock up like you are describing. I am using a Transcend card, if that's any help.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

Thanks Rodger. I'll some more tests at lunch time today. I hope it's just something simple like the memory card type.

-- hide signature --

www.shaungibbs.com.au

Shaun Gibbs
Like?
In reply to jacqui2, 3 months ago

jacqui2 wrote:

I've had this happen on my fz1000 but I wasn't using burst mode, just taking photos normally and it just locked up until I took the battery out. It's only happened once so far a couple of days ago.

-- hide signature --

Cheers for that. I'm using Transcend SDXC 64GB Class 10 U3 R95 - W60 MB/s for the record.

I have other cards which I'll try if it turns out to be Transcend which I bought for 4K video.

-- hide signature --

www.shaungibbs.com.au

A Girard
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,544Gear list
Like?
Likely the card

I've had a no name 32gb from Ebay and it records 4k, RAW + JPG etc..

To my surprise, one of my other cards, some Sandisk fancy pants card gets jammed when I shoot RAW with my D7000 so it's in my little camcorder when I go fishing, despite its so called rep. I'd go to a photography store or try a different card perhaps from a friend to see if it's the camera. So many variable in these cards despite their specs leads me to believe it's the card.

-- hide signature --

my website www.rememberyourjourney.com

A Girard's gear list:A Girard's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Nik Color Efex Pro Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
Shaun Gibbs
Like?
Re: Likely the card
In reply to A Girard, 3 months ago

A Girard wrote:

I've had a no name 32gb from Ebay and it records 4k, RAW + JPG etc..

To my surprise, one of my other cards, some Sandisk fancy pants card gets jammed when I shoot RAW with my D7000 so it's in my little camcorder when I go fishing, despite its so called rep. I'd go to a photography store or try a different card perhaps from a friend to see if it's the camera. So many variable in these cards despite their specs leads me to believe it's the card.

-- hide signature --

my website www.rememberyourjourney.com

Thank you. I have some Sony, Sandisk and other SDHC cards which I use in my pro gear so, I'll try those and do some tests.

-- hide signature --

www.shaungibbs.com.au

Shaun Gibbs
Like?
Re: Likely the card

I just did two tests and no problems today.

First test was just burst mode which captured 44 photos before the buffer filled. I released the shutter and waited for it to finish writing to the card then pressed playback.

Second test was the same but 62 shots before the buffer filled. I released the shutter and pressed playback button straight away. It finished writing to the card before it displayed the photos.

Using the same card I used on Saturday. So all good. Will update if it ever happens again.

-- hide signature --

www.shaungibbs.com.au

Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 12,221Gear list
Like?
Cards can get corrupted

In my experience, the cause is partially overwritten 'deleted' pictures and videos, which become live again in the process. The formatting in the camera is a 'fast' one, which does not totally overwrite the old data with a sequence of 0s and 1s. The work-around is to format the card in the computer, un-ticking the fast option. When you put the card into the camera after a slow format, it will put its own file structure on the first time you switch it on after the external formatting.

Henry

Shaun Gibbs wrote:

First test was just burst mode which captured 44 photos before the buffer filled. I released the shutter and waited for it to finish writing to the card then pressed playback.

Second test was the same but 62 shots before the buffer filled. I released the shutter and pressed playback button straight away. It finished writing to the card before it displayed the photos.

Using the same card I used on Saturday. So all good. Will update if it ever happens again.

-- hide signature --

www.shaungibbs.com.au

-- hide signature --

Henry Falkner - SH-1, SH-50, SP-570UZ
http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner

Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
aVolanche
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,550Gear list
Like?
Re: Cards can get corrupted
In reply to Henry Falkner, 3 months ago

Henry,

I know that this is a slow process (PC format of SD card). Is it something you need to do each time you download images/movies? Or only when using a new card or card that's been used in another camera?

Thanks, Fred

Henry Falkner
Like?
In reply to aVolanche, 3 months ago

aVolanche wrote:

Henry,

I know that this is a slow process (PC format of SD card). Is it something you need to do each time you download images/movies? Or only when using a new card or card that's been used in another camera?

Thanks, Fred

It pays to do it when you use a card from another camera for the first time. After that, I do it when I had several cycles of video taking and erasing.

In my experience it is not necessary to do it every time. I would have done it had I experienced the lockup you described in your OP.

Henry

-- hide signature --

Shaun Gibbs
Like?

Thank you. I'll bear that in mind. Do you format it in camera after formatting it on the pc? I've never formatted on the pc. in My Canon 6D I have the option to do quick or complete format. I always choose complete format, but the FZ1000 doesn't have that option.

Henry Falkner wrote:

In my experience, the cause is partially overwritten 'deleted' pictures and videos, which become live again in the process. The formatting in the camera is a 'fast' one, which does not totally overwrite the old data with a sequence of 0s and 1s. The work-around is to format the card in the computer, un-ticking the fast option. When you put the card into the camera after a slow format, it will put its own file structure on the first time you switch it on after the external formatting.

Henry

Shaun Gibbs wrote:

-- hide signature --

www.shaungibbs.com.au

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

www.shaungibbs.com.au

Henry Falkner
Like?

Shaun Gibbs wrote:

Thank you. I'll bear that in mind. Do you format it in camera after formatting it on the pc?

When my Olympus cameras see a PC formatted card at switch-on, they automatically format it again, and that is a short format.

I've never formatted on the pc. in My Canon 6D I have the option to do quick or complete format. I always choose complete format, but the FZ1000 doesn't have that option.

Since Windows sees the camera as a removable disk, you may be able to do the long format with the card still in the FZ-1000. I can do this on my Olympus jobs.

I have to wait for economic reasons to purchase yet another camera. But the FZ-1000 has just become available in New Zealand, although at a price that I have not paid for a camera since 2002.

Henry

-- hide signature --

Tim Bury
Senior MemberPosts: 2,180Gear list
Like?

Henry,
Thanks for all the great formatting info. I always only formatted in camera. Good to know an occasional slow format with PC is a good idea.

Thanks!
--
Tim
http://myfotoguy.zenfolio.com - Gallery

Tim Bury's gear list:Tim Bury's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 +2 more
Don Deignan
Forum MemberPosts: 61
Like?

I am using a transcend 64gig XC-1 u3 sd card with R95 and W60.  I get the lockdown when viewing my 4k video.  I have not tried formatting yet.  Thanks for your heads up.

Don

Henry Falkner
Like?
4K Video Lockdown
In reply to Don Deignan, 3 months ago

Don Deignan wrote:

I am using a transcend 64gig XC-1 u3 sd card with R95 and W60. I get the lockdown when viewing my 4k video. I have not tried formatting yet. Thanks for your heads up.

Since everything in my setup is standardised on HD720p, I can merely SUGGEST how to localise the problem.

Can you view the 4k video in the camera? If you can, then it is not the card. If you can't view 4k video in the camera - has the manual any recommendation?

On my Toshiba Satellite L650-D, I can preview HD720p smoothly, and edit and render it without lockups. I can preview HD1080p with bad stuttering, but I can edit and render it (more slowly), and then view the result without stuttering.

Streaming HD1080p (NASA at full steam) constantly pauses to catch up. Safest bit rate is something like 450 kbs for minimum interruptions. Trying to watch streaming 4k video crashes Internet Explorer, and I have to use the Task Manager to get out of IE.

This is not a new experience. My Canon M100 DV camcorder bought in 1998 has a firewire output, but not until 2008 could I get an AFFORDABLE laptop that could make use of it.

I don't think that the Smart TV Sandra bought last month supports 4k video.

Henry

-- hide signature --

Shaun Gibbs
Like?

Thank you Henry for the great info.

Henry Falkner wrote:

Shaun Gibbs wrote:

Thank you. I'll bear that in mind. Do you format it in camera after formatting it on the pc?

When my Olympus cameras see a PC formatted card at switch-on, they automatically format it again, and that is a short format.

I've never formatted on the pc. in My Canon 6D I have the option to do quick or complete format. I always choose complete format, but the FZ1000 doesn't have that option.

Since Windows sees the camera as a removable disk, you may be able to do the long format with the card still in the FZ-1000. I can do this on my Olympus jobs.

I have to wait for economic reasons to purchase yet another camera. But the FZ-1000 has just become available in New Zealand, although at a price that I have not paid for a camera since 2002.

Henry

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

www.shaungibbs.com.au

Don Deignan
Forum MemberPosts: 61
Like?
Re: 4K Video Lockdown

What I did was format the card in the camera and trying to see if this makes a difference.  I hope the card is not right for this cam.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads