Simplify and give up Aperture or Lightroom?I’m a run-of-the mill amateur, who might shoot hundreds o

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
down south shooter
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Simplify and give up Aperture or Lightroom?I’m a run-of-the mill amateur, who might shoot hundreds o
4 months ago

I’m a run-of-the mill amateur, who might shoot hundreds of photos a week. Compared to the pros, that’s nothing. But, I’d rather spend my time shooting than processing, so I want to be efficient.

I currently use Aperture, and I’ve used earlier versions of Lightroom. Both are great.

Lately, though, I tend to use Photo Ninja to process the RAW files from my Fuji, and I’m very pleased with the results.

Then, I usually make any additional corrections with one of the NIK filters. I do a lot of B&W conversions with SilverFX.

The end result is a good tiff.

But, that workflow in and out of Aperture is a bit of a pain.

And, I like the results I’m getting better than if I used Aperture to make the edits. (Yes, I know some folks can get the same quality without leaving Aperture or Lightroom, but I’m finding myself faster with this workflow.)

I’m thinking of grabbing a copy of Photo Mechanic and just moving to a flat-file system. By using tools such as Hazel on the Mac, I can make a simple workflow. And, I’d just keep the RAWs as backups, working with tiffs.

Is there anyone else who isn’t going the Lightroom route, and if so are there workflow suggestions?

Again, Lightroom is awesome. Not looking to start a fight. Just trying to figure out what works best for me, and I’ve only demoed Photo Mechanic.

Robgo2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,595
Like?
Using Photo Mechanic with Photo Ninja
In reply to down south shooter, 4 months ago

I use Photo Mechanic in conjunction with Photo Ninja and am very happy with the combination. The two programs play nicely with each other. However, neither program has printing capability, meaning that you would need another external editor for that purpose. For many PN users, printing is done either with Lightroom or Photoshop.  However, if you want to make any sort of local adjustments, you would need LR or PS for that purpose as well, so consider that they would cover both functions for you.

BTW, Lightroom is anything but awesome, IMO.  As a raw convertor, it is strictly mediocre, especially when compared to Photo Ninja.  LR's popularity is not attributable IQ, but rather to its features, workflow and the power of the Adobe Photoshop brand.

Rob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Footski
Footski MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,524Gear list
Like?
Re: Using Photo Mechanic with Photo Ninja
In reply to Robgo2, 4 months ago

I have both Lightroom 5 and Elements 10, which I got first. I can't really get on with Lightroom, despite buying a book to go with it. Elements, I know and understand better. It helps me do all the editing I want quickly and efficiently. Like you, I accept that Lightroom is an amazing program, but just not right for me....

Footski's gear list:Footski's gear list
Leica V-Lux 4 Nikon D7000 Fujifilm MX-700 Fujifilm FinePix F601 Zoom Samsung NV10 +15 more
Dave Stott
Contributing MemberPosts: 624Gear list
Like?
Re: Using Photo Mechanic with Photo Ninja
In reply to Footski, 4 months ago

Footski wrote:

I have both Lightroom 5 and Elements 10, which I got first. I can't really get on with Lightroom, despite buying a book to go with it. Elements, I know and understand better. It helps me do all the editing I want quickly and efficiently. Like you, I accept that Lightroom is an amazing program, but just not right for me....

It really is down to personal preference, I think.   I too have both products, and much prefer Lightroom.  However, I don't need much pixel level editing, but when I do, I hope over to Elements - and find I am somewhere down the learning curve again.

Dave Stott's gear list:Dave Stott's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +3 more
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 27,571Gear list
Like?
Re: Simplify and give up Aperture or Lightroom?
In reply to down south shooter, 4 months ago

As was said, what works for any of us can be quite subjective.   Using one editor/converter for a period and then trying others for a period can be enlightening in the long run.   They'll have slightly different results with a variation of workflow techniques, and we each may utilize them in different ways.

If you loathe the developing process, you might focus your attention to how to get the results you seek out of camera with in-camera setting adjustments.

Personally, the longer I use LR the more capable I find it to be.   Though I still utilize other apps when the need arises.   I didn't care for LR initially, preferring Aperture.   But as apps evolve, as well as I do, the choice of tools may also evolve as well.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads