Software for auto lens corrections with Fuji lenses?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Phil1
Contributing MemberPosts: 776
Like?
Software for auto lens corrections with Fuji lenses?
3 months ago

Has anyone come across software for auto-correcting lens distortions etc for Fuji lenses?

As far as I can see Elements 12 doesn't do any corrections, Lightroom and Capture one 7 appear to cater only for the X100/s, DxO doesn't work for Fuji files (that is a real PIA as I have several versions of DxO!), Silkypix (as delivered with my X-E2 doesn't recognise RAF files - so it tells me!!!), PTLens corrects some but not all lenses. Is there anything out there which can do auto lens corrections on Fuji lenses?

Thanks

Phil

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chad Hardy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,183Gear list
Like?
Re: Software for auto lens corrections with Fuji lenses?
In reply to Phil1, 3 months ago

Phil1 wrote:

Has anyone come across software for auto-correcting lens distortions etc for Fuji lenses?

As far as I can see Elements 12 doesn't do any corrections, Lightroom and Capture one 7 appear to cater only for the X100/s, DxO doesn't work for Fuji files (that is a real PIA as I have several versions of DxO!), Silkypix (as delivered with my X-E2 doesn't recognise RAF files - so it tells me!!!), PTLens corrects some but not all lenses. Is there anything out there which can do auto lens corrections on Fuji lenses?

Thanks

Phil

Lightroom 5.6 corrects all of them to my knowledge.  Aperture doesn't correct many of them at all.

Chad Hardy's gear list:Chad Hardy's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Fujifilm X-E2 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Randy Benter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,093Gear list
Like?
In reply to Phil1, 3 months ago

Adobe (including Elements), Aperture, and CaptureOne all apply lens corrections for Fuji (ILC) files automatically. You don't need to select a lens correction profile because the correction data is contained in the raw file. Of the 3 applications I mentioned, only CaptureOne allows you to disable or adjust the amount of lens correction. Here is a screenshot from ACR that was added by Adobe to help avoid confusion as to whether or not corrections are applied. PhotoNinja does not use the correction data, so distortion must be handled manually or by building your own lens profile.

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Leica X2 Fujifilm X100S Leica X Vario Leica M Typ 240 Fujifilm X-E2 +27 more
Brian_Downunda
Regular MemberPosts: 420Gear list
Like?
In reply to Randy Benter, 3 months ago

Chad and Randy are correct. LR corrects Fuji X lenses automatically, and it does it without using a separate lens profile because it uses information included in the RAW file. For this reason you can't turn it off. To confirm that this is the case, take a RAF shot with the 18-55 @ 18mm and develop it in LR and also in a converter like Photo Ninja that doesn't do the correction and you will see the difference.

In my view LR doesn't correct all the distortion in the 18-55. Someone posted (either here or elsewhere) a LR lens profile that you can use to remove the remainder, but most of the work is being done by LR automatically.

I posted a Photo Ninja lens profile for the 18-55 in this thread:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3660341

I'm not sure about the other converters - I thought CoP7 did have some corrections, but I'd need to check on another computer.  And surely Silkypix must recognise RAF files - that's the whole point of shipping it with Fuji X cameras - but I'm not sure about lens profiles.  It may be the same as LR - it uses embedded information.

Not many of the Fuji lenses need a profile - it's only the zooms that include wide angle focal lengths, although the 10-24 has very little distortion and you could just about survive without a profile.  I've got quite a few of the primes and none of them seem to need a profile, not even the 14mm.  That's the attraction of Fuji lenses.

Chad Hardy
Like?

Randy Benter wrote:

Adobe (including Elements), Aperture, and CaptureOne all apply lens corrections for Fuji (ILC) files automatically. You don't need to select a lens correction profile because the correction data is contained in the raw file. Of the 3 applications I mentioned, only CaptureOne allows you to disable or adjust the amount of lens correction. Here is a screenshot from ACR that was added by Adobe to help avoid confusion as to whether or not corrections are applied. PhotoNinja does not use the correction data, so distortion must be handled manually or by building your own lens profile.

Randy this is not entirely true. I just finished testing my 1855 and Aperture is not applying vignetting corrections. When I load them into LR, they are gone. When I load into Aperture, vignetting is present and I have to correct it manually.

As a general rule I don't trust Aperture with lens corrections. I used both for years and lens correction was one of my major complaints with the program. I understand this could be because Fuji isn't always writing correction info to the RAF, but it always works fine with LR. Just my observations.

Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Fujifilm X-E2 +16 more
Randy Benter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,093Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chad Hardy, 3 months ago

Chad Hardy wrote:

Randy this is not entirely true. I just finished testing my 1855 and Aperture is not applying vignetting corrections. When I load them into LR, they are gone. When I load into Aperture, vignetting is present and I have to correct it manually.

As a general rule I don't trust Aperture with lens corrections. I used both for years and lens correction was one of my major complaints with the program. I understand this could be because Fuji isn't always writing correction info to the RAF, but it always works fine with LR. Just my observations.

Did you compare the Aperture results to an uncorrected version (e.g. from PhotoNinja)? It could be that both are correcting for vignetting, but LR is doing more. Two converters can use the same lens correction data and still produce slightly different results. It could also be that Aperture only corrects distortion, but not vignetting (as you said). It has been a while since I compared them directly.

If Aperture is not automatically correcting for vignetting, it would be simple enough to create a preset that includes this. I commonly make a standard preset that corrects dark corners and also a portrait preset that automatically makes them even darker. I am more concerned with distortion correction, which is more difficult to accurately profile and correct than vignetting.

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Leica X2 Fujifilm X100S Leica X Vario Leica M Typ 240 Fujifilm X-E2 +27 more
Chad Hardy
Like?

Randy Benter wrote:

Chad Hardy wrote:

Randy this is not entirely true. I just finished testing my 1855 and Aperture is not applying vignetting corrections. When I load them into LR, they are gone. When I load into Aperture, vignetting is present and I have to correct it manually.

Did you compare the Aperture results to an uncorrected version (e.g. from PhotoNinja)? It could be that both are correcting for vignetting, but LR is doing more. Two converters can use the same lens correction data and still produce slightly different results. It could also be that Aperture only corrects distortion, but not vignetting (as you said). It has been a while since I compared them directly.

If Aperture is not automatically correcting for vignetting, it would be simple enough to create a preset that includes this. I commonly make a standard preset that corrects dark corners and also a portrait preset that automatically makes them even darker. I am more concerned with distortion correction, which is more difficult to accurately profile and correct than vignetting.

I work on a Mac, so it is easy.  I open in Aperture, and Then copy the RAF and open in LR.  There is a huge difference.  Aperture could be correcting some I suppose, but it isn't enough to matter.

Phil1
Contributing MemberPosts: 776
Like?
THANKS! Re: Software for auto lens corrections with Fuji lenses

I'm greatly indebted to you all for your very useful and informative replies. THANK YOU!

Following all of your comments, because it has a better reputation than Lightroom for Fuji files, I am going to use Capture One 7 Express to batch demosaic and, as I now know,  to get the advantages of auto-lens correction. You’ve all made my day!

Would it be the height of stupidity to save the files as DNG? I ask as I am very familiar with the Elements 12 Raw conversion tools or would it be far more sensible to save as TIF files for subsequent further work? Please accept my apologies for such a basic question!

Many thanks again!
Phil

baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,025Gear list
Like?

Indeed LR and ACR of PS corrects very well for lenses with profiles, and the last zoom 10-24mm is included in the last versions

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads