My Rokinon antidote for Oly 75mmF1.8 lens lust

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,789
Like?
My Rokinon antidote for Oly 75mmF1.8 lens lust
4 months ago

I visited a really nice camera store in Brussels on Friday.

They had an incredible spectrum of µFT lenses in stock, including the Voigtländer Noktons and other gems.

I had my E-M5 in the car, so I tried the 42.5mmF0.95 Nokton.  Really sweet build and feel, but no overwhelming temptation, because I quickly compared it with my old cheap 45mm F1.8 Olympus.  Sure, the Voigtländer is a lot faster, but also heavier and expensive.  At that focal range, manual focus becomes much harder with a fast lens than at 17.5mm (like the Nokton I already own and totally love as a low light documentary standard focal length lens). The Oly 45mm once again proved its worth.

I also tried the Olympus 75mm F1.8 and was seriously impressed: not really too big and heavy, but produces wonderful photos with exemplary sharpness, even wide open.  But again a lot of money.  So instead of making an impulse purchase, I refrained and promised myself to do a bit more testing with my Rokinon 85mm F1.4 on MicroFT (I have that lens in FT mount).

So yesterday I went out and took the Rokinon with the adapter, and also the EC-14 (FT lenses have the extra benefit that I can use my teleconverter and macro extender ring with them).

So my conclusion is that I do not really need the 75mm, nice though it is.  Sure, AF is a benefit.  And the Rokinon, when shot wide open is not really a match in sharpness.  But the Rokinon is good enough, especially when stopped down to F2.  I'll save my money for now.

Here are some of the shots that convinced me of the Rokinon's lasting quality.

I chose cows because they are a convenient and patient subject (and also a bit because Steve Huff used them in his review of the Oly 75mm...)

With EC-14 but not EX-25.  Later on I stacked them, but no shots worth sharing.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my Olympus user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,817Gear list
Like?
quite a stack
In reply to RoelHendrickx, 4 months ago

Good grief, Roel! A Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 + adapter + EC-14 + EX-25??? That's quite a stack for a µ4/3 camera. How far did it stick out in front of the camera? 40cm??? 

I could (would) not afford the 75mm f/1.8 for quite a long time. Then I managed to get a used one in truly mint condition for a very good price. As you noted, the 75mm f/1.8 is just a stellar performer; it has no flaws. In some ways, I'd call its performance "magical." It's well worth the wait if the photographer needs to save up the cash.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RoelHendrickx
Like?
Jim, this is what it looks like
In reply to James Pilcher, 4 months ago

James Pilcher wrote:

Good grief, Roel! A Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 + adapter + EC-14 + EX-25??? That's quite a stack for a µ4/3 camera. How far did it stick out in front of the camera? 40cm???

Jim this is what it looks like (excuse the poor iphone quality):

Mind you, the shots shown before are only with Rokinon+adapter or Rokinon+EC-14+adapter. none with the EX-25 also.

Quite possible to handle.

I could (would) not afford the 75mm f/1.8 for quite a long time. Then I managed to get a used one in truly mint condition for a very good price. As you noted, the 75mm f/1.8 is just a stellar performer; it has no flaws. In some ways, I'd call its performance "magical." It's well worth the wait if the photographer needs to save up the cash.

Oh, the 75mm was indeed a great performer in those few moments I had it on my camera.

And there probably is one with my name on it, someday.

But not right now.

Jim Pilcher

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
my Olympus user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,817Gear list
Like?
pair that with a GM1

Just imagine all of that hanging off the front of a Lumix GM1. Now, that would be quite the Rube Goldberg contraption, and probably quite unmanageable.

RoelHendrickx wrote:

James Pilcher wrote:

Mind you, the shots shown before are only with Rokinon+adapter or Rokinon+EC-14+adapter. none with the EX-25 also.

Oh, the 75mm was indeed a great performer in those few moments I had it on my camera.

But not right now.

Jim Pilcher

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

-- hide signature --

Jim Pilcher

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 33,137Gear list
Like?
Re: pair that with a GM1
In reply to James Pilcher, 4 months ago

James Pilcher wrote:

Just imagine all of that hanging off the front of a Lumix GM1. Now, that would be quite the Rube Goldberg contraption, and probably quite unmanageable.

While size does matter, the GM1 can be surprisingly comfortable to use in its John Holmes configuration ...

RoelHendrickx wrote:

James Pilcher wrote:

But not right now.

Jim Pilcher

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

-- hide signature --

Jim Pilcher

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,824Gear list
Like?
Re: Jim, this is what it looks like

RoelHendrickx wrote:

James Pilcher wrote:

Man oh man, what a beast!

Here's a Voigtländer 75mm f2.5 Color Heliar to compare size.

Perfect size and weight (230g + L mount adaptor), excellent image quality and a pleasure to use. Sure, it's a stop slower, but so small and manageable. No one ever thinks I'm packing a 150mm lens when I use it!

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
Zensu11
Contributing MemberPosts: 961Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kim Letkeman, 4 months ago

The E-P5 with my slide copy contraption can be a handful too!

Forgive the tablet photo.

-- hide signature --

"Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth." - Buddha
Bobby

Zensu11's gear list:Zensu11's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
RoelHendrickx
Like?
In reply to jeffharris, 4 months ago

jeffharris wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

James Pilcher wrote:

Perfect size and weight (230g + L mount adaptor), excellent image quality and a pleasure to use. Sure, it's a stop slower, but so small and manageable. No one ever thinks I'm packing a 150mm lens when I use it!

For "just" the 85mm (170mm EFL) at F1.4, there is ONLY the adapter and the lens (you can ditch the hood too).  That looks VERY different.

What I have shown here includes ALSO EC-14 (x1.4 teleconverter) and EX-25 (macro tube).  together, these two are more than half the size of the actual 85mm lens.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Eddy M
Regular MemberPosts: 125Gear list
Like?
Re: My Rokinon antidote for Oly 75mmF1.8 lens lust

If you have a chance you should try Konica Hexanon 57/1.4. I can post images taken with this lens if you want me to.

Eddy M's gear list:Eddy M's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
RoelHendrickx
Like?
Re: My Rokinon antidote for Oly 75mmF1.8 lens lust
In reply to Eddy M, 4 months ago

Eddy M wrote:

If you have a chance you should try Konica Hexanon 57/1.4. I can post images taken with this lens if you want me to.

Please do.  I am always interested in legacy lenses.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Eddy M
Regular MemberPosts: 125Gear list
Like?
Konica Hexanon 57mm/f1.4

f1.4

f1.4

f1.4

f5.6

All those images processed in PS with small level adjustment, I have those images processed with more than just level adjustment and they looked amazing but I wont post them here since we're talking about lens and not post processing pictures.

Eddy M's gear list:Eddy M's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
Kim Letkeman
Like?
In reply to Zensu11, 4 months ago

Zensu11 wrote:

The E-P5 with my slide copy contraption can be a handful too!

Forgive the tablet photo.

-- hide signature --

"Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth." - Buddha
Bobby

Of course, since the image is attached to the lens, framing and shake are not issues at all ...

Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
RoelHendrickx
Like?

Interesting alternative for scanning.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,536Gear list
Like?

interesting OP. My 75 1.8 lust was sated when I got the Sigma 60mm f2.8 - not the same focal length or aperture but a stunning performer and amazing value

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Sony RX100 +1 more
RoelHendrickx
Like?
60 - 75 - 85
In reply to Marco Cinnirella, 4 months ago

Marco Cinnirella wrote:

interesting OP. My 75 1.8 lust was sated when I got the Sigma 60mm f2.8 - not the same focal length or aperture but a stunning performer and amazing value

The Sigma 60mm is indeed interesting.

So is the Olympus 60mm F2.8 macro.

But I prefer my fast medium tele to be a bit longer (more removed from 40mm).

So in order to "substitute" 75mm, 85mm makes more sense for me than 60mm.

We are blessed with so many options.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

SnapHappy32
Forum MemberPosts: 71Gear list
Like?
Re: 60 - 75 - 85 - 135!

Hi guys - I paired my OMD with an old Schneider (Rollei-mount) 135 mm f. 3.5.

Although not terribly sharp it's small, light, discrete and a joy to focus.

Great fun used for non-critical images.

The lens and adapter could be had for 50-60 USD.

Kim Letkeman
Like?
In reply to SnapHappy32, 4 months ago

SnapHappy32 wrote:

Hi guys - I paired my OMD with an old Schneider (Rollei-mount) 135 mm f. 3.5.

Although not terribly sharp it's small, light, discrete and a joy to focus.

Great fun used for non-critical images.

The lens and adapter could be had for 50-60 USD.

A joy to focus ... you must be using the line art pseudo focus peaking trick?

I use the Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro on my EPM2 and it is incredibly sharp when perfectly focused. In good light, the line art focus peaking trick works great, but in poor light the combination of poor contrast and very slow shutter speeds conspires against it. In such a case, the inexpensive Sigma 60mm 2.8 ART would be the far better choice.

SnapHappy32
Forum MemberPosts: 71Gear list
Like?

Nope - I use the magnify function. The focus ring is (still!) very precise, so small changes are easy to make.

It's a well build lens. As is the 50mm 1.8 and Zeiss 18mm f4 for the Rolleflex system.

Currently they're seeing much more action than my trusted PL25 and 12-35. Legacy lenses are just more fun to use.

jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,824Gear list
Like?

RoelHendrickx wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

James Pilcher wrote:

For "just" the 85mm (170mm EFL) at F1.4, there is ONLY the adapter and the lens (you can ditch the hood too). That looks VERY different.

What I have shown here includes ALSO EC-14 (x1.4 teleconverter) and EX-25 (macro tube). together, these two are more than half the size of the actual 85mm lens.

Yes, a bit Frankenstein-ian! It's fun piling up stuff like that… because you can!

So, how is it to use by itself? I'd thought about getting a Nikon 85mm f2 AI-S since it's small and cheap and faster than my 105mm and 135mm f2.8 lenses. (I use them for concert shooting… choruses, harpsichords and viola da gambas) But that 85mm f1.4 lens intrigues me because of speed and price. I'd get a Nikon mount so I could easily adapt it for a second generation Sony A7-series body.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads