D810 showing yellow coloration in sRAW files

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Rumi Siddiqui
Regular MemberPosts: 201Gear list
Like?
D810 showing yellow coloration in sRAW files
4 months ago

I was shooting the ceiling in my bedroom, which has a florescent light. When I take pictures of the textured ceiling, I get this strange yellow gradation across the photograph. It looks like someone put a graduated filter on the lens, one part is normal color, and the rest is this dark yellow tint.

I can take pictures around the room and some of them will look almost normal, but then that yellow coloration shows up at the bottom of the frame.

This only happens with sRAW.

Also, I tried playing around with the different white balance presets, which only helped for the portions of the image for which the yellow coloration was not affecting in the first place.

I took photos in the kitchen where there is another florescent light, and it does not show the yellow coloration with sRAW.

Has anyone experienced this?

It's not a huge deal, but a little annoying. I finally took the time to setup all my banks, and I created one for casual use, which is the one affected.

Update: So far it appears the issue only occurs with sRAW & ISO 800+

Again, adjusting white balance, kelvin temperature does not appear to affect the yellow part of the image. I can take a pic of anything in this particular room, and that yellow shows up in the pic.

Rumi Siddiqui's gear list:Rumi Siddiqui's gear list
Nikon D810 Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +10 more
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,939Gear list
Like?
Re: D810 showing yellow coloration in sRAW files
In reply to Rumi Siddiqui, 4 months ago

The simplest answer is "don't shoot sRAW".  I know there are a couple people on this forum that will insist they need the smaller file size of sRAW... that Lightroom bogs down with 36 MP files.  I don't know, maybe it does.  I use Adobe PhotoShop/ACR and I have never had an issue.

For me (and I'm making this statement for me) sRAW is utterly useless.  No file size saving, no time saving in post, and the loss of true RAW flexibility.  sRAW could exhibit purple polka dots for all I care.

Rumi Siddiqui wrote:

I was shooting the ceiling in my bedroom, which has a florescent light. When I take pictures of the textured ceiling, I get this strange yellow gradation across the photograph. It looks like someone put a graduated filter on the lens, one part is normal color, and the rest is this dark yellow tint.

I can take pictures around the room and some of them will look almost normal, but then that yellow coloration shows up at the bottom of the frame.

Also, I tried playing around with the different white balance presets, which only helped for the portions of the image for which the yellow coloration was not affecting in the first place.

I took photos in the kitchen where there is another florescent light, and it does not show the yellow coloration with sRAW.

It's not a huge deal, but a little annoying. I finally took the time to setup all my banks, and I created one for casual use, which is the one affected.

Again, adjusting white balance, kelvin temperature does not appear to affect the yellow part of the image. I can take a pic of anything in this particular room, and that yellow shows up in the pic.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Waterengineer
Contributing MemberPosts: 852Gear list
Like?
In reply to michaeladawson, 4 months ago

I agree with michaelsdawson.  sRaw is useless.  A marketing gimmick. If someone has a legit reason for using it, please state it.

Sagittarius
Senior MemberPosts: 2,974
Like?

Rumi Siddiqui wrote:

Hi,

I do not know why is it happening just with sRAW files. When you are shooting at fluorescent light at shutter speed faster than 1/60 sec, weird things happen. Fluorescent light fluctuating with frequency of AC and with faster SS it is a lottery at what stage of fluctuation picture will be taken

-- hide signature --

Best regards

Rumi Siddiqui
Like?

michaeladawson wrote:

The simplest answer is "don't shoot sRAW". I know there are a couple people on this forum that will insist they need the smaller file size of sRAW... that Lightroom bogs down with 36 MP files. I don't know, maybe it does. I use Adobe PhotoShop/ACR and I have never had an issue.

For me (and I'm making this statement for me) sRAW is utterly useless. No file size saving, no time saving in post, and the loss of true RAW flexibility. sRAW could exhibit purple polka dots for all I care.

Rumi Siddiqui wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

RAW is my primary; however, I was hoping to use sRAW for my casual shooting, like my 3 year old running around house. I wanted small file size, with just a tad flexibility over jpeg of these situations.

I think I'm still going to use it for these situations, but probably be more cognizant of it's limitations, especially with different types of lighting. It seems sRAW is still in its infancy, or maybe the issue is only with sRAW and the D810 with certain types of florescent bulbs.

As of right now this combination sucks:

D810+sRAW+ISO800(and up)+Certain Florescent lighting=Fail.

Rumi Siddiqui
Like?
In reply to Sagittarius, 4 months ago

Hi,

I do not know why is it happening just with sRAW files. When you are shooting at fluorescent light at shutter speed faster than 1/60 sec, weird things happen. Fluorescent light fluctuating with frequency of AC and with faster SS it is a lottery at what stage of fluctuation picture will be taken

-- hide signature --

Best regards

I can shoot directly at the light, or anything in this room with the same result in sRAW. I shoot at the light directly 100 times with RAW, and every file looks perfectly correct. There's no lottery; if there is, it's rigged.

I believe Shutter speed was 1/100s while experimenting with sRAW, and RAW. I was using the Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art lens.

Also, in the past, whenever I've had issues with florescent bulbs, I simply select one of the white balance presets or dial in a kelvin temperature. In this case, it doesn't work.

Update: I just shot the same scene by lowering the shutter speed to 1/60s, and the coloration disappears as well - even at high ISOs. Again, RAW does not have these limitations.

Bokeh Monk
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?

Something that comes to mind is the age of the tubes, they do shift colour with time.  But, are you saying that colour balance is fine in normal Raw mode?  and at lower iso's in sRaw ?

Bokeh Monk's gear list:Bokeh Monk's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +1 more
Rumi Siddiqui
Like?
In reply to Bokeh Monk, 4 months ago

Bokeh Monk wrote:

Something that comes to mind is the age of the tubes, they do shift colour with time. But, are you saying that colour balance is fine in normal Raw mode? and at lower iso's in sRaw ?

That's exactly what I'm saying.

Bokeh Monk
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?

Must be the way sRaw 'throw's out colour information' when it's compressed? Wonder if this behaviour is repeatable under other lighting, like incandescent?

Bokeh Monk's gear list:Bokeh Monk's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +1 more
Rumi Siddiqui
Like?
In reply to Bokeh Monk, 4 months ago

Bokeh Monk wrote:

Must be the way sRaw 'throw's out colour information' when it's compressed? Wonder if this behaviour is repeatable under other lighting, like incandescent?

I would experiment, but I don't have any here in the Caribbean.  While I was in Florida, I didn't bother trying sRAW at all. If I get an opportunity I'll try sRAW in different lighting situations.

WIMorrison
Contributing MemberPosts: 915Gear list
Like?

Nothing to do with sRAW and everything to do with your shutter speed.

-- hide signature --

Iain Morrison LRPS CPAGB
wimorrison.co.uk

WIMorrison's gear list:WIMorrison's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +11 more
Rumi Siddiqui
Like?
In reply to WIMorrison, 4 months ago

WIMorrison wrote:

-- hide signature --

Iain Morrison LRPS CPAGB
wimorrison.co.uk

Given the exact same settings,  (shutter speed, ISO, Aperture) the issue will not present itself in RAW files, only sRAW.

However, if I lower shutter speed to 1/60s, the situation will resolve itself with the sRAW, or if I want a faster shutter speed, but I keep the ISO at 640 or below, it will also resolve itself in sRAW. But none of these adjustments are required with the full RAW file.

WIMorrison
Contributing MemberPosts: 915Gear list
Like?

Rumi Siddiqui wrote:

WIMorrison wrote:

-- hide signature --

Iain Morrison LRPS CPAGB
wimorrison.co.uk

Given the exact same settings, (shutter speed, ISO, Aperture) the issue will not present itself in RAW files, only sRAW.

However, if I lower shutter speed to 1/60s, the situation will resolve itself with the sRAW, or if I want a faster shutter speed, but I keep the ISO at 640 or below, it will also resolve itself in sRAW. But none of these adjustments are required with the full RAW file.

The resuits will be the same if you take the picture often enough using exactly the same settings in sRAW or raw.

It is function of the frequency of the electricity supply.
--
Iain Morrison LRPS CPAGB
wimorrison.co.uk

WIMorrison's gear list:WIMorrison's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +11 more
michaeladawson
Like?

Forget sRAW for even casual shooting.  In fact, I would submit that for casual shooting sRAW is even more ridiculous.  Just shoot lossy 12-bit compressed.  Same file size.  If it's casual shooting you don't have any deadlines to meet.  What is it about sRAW that you see as an advantage?

Rumi Siddiqui wrote

michaeladawson wrote:

The simplest answer is "don't shoot sRAW". I know there are a couple people on this forum that will insist they need the smaller file size of sRAW... that Lightroom bogs down with 36 MP files. I don't know, maybe it does. I use Adobe PhotoShop/ACR and I have never had an issue.

For me (and I'm making this statement for me) sRAW is utterly useless. No file size saving, no time saving in post, and the loss of true RAW flexibility. sRAW could exhibit purple polka dots for all I care.

Rumi Siddiqui wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

RAW is my primary; however, I was hoping to use sRAW for my casual shooting, like my 3 year old running around house. I wanted small file size, with just a tad flexibility over jpeg of these situations.

I think I'm still going to use it for these situations, but probably be more cognizant of it's limitations, especially with different types of lighting. It seems sRAW is still in its infancy, or maybe the issue is only with sRAW and the D810 with certain types of florescent bulbs.

As of right now this combination sucks:

D810+sRAW+ISO800(and up)+Certain Florescent lighting=Fail.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
MisterHairy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,453Gear list
Like?

Rumi Siddiqui wrote:

WIMorrison wrote:

-- hide signature --

Iain Morrison LRPS CPAGB
wimorrison.co.uk

Given the exact same settings, (shutter speed, ISO, Aperture) the issue will not present itself in RAW files, only sRAW.

sRAW is not true raw data. It is little better than a JPEG and it's contents are permanently modified by the white balance setting. You cannot reprocess to the same extent as a true raw file.

The issue is coming from the combination of your shutter speed and the use of cycling fluorescent lights. You are being protected from this to some extent with full RAW because your raw editor is setting an auto WB point based on the content of the image. It is not able to do this so effectively for sRAW.

MisterHairy's gear list:MisterHairy's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +14 more
Rumi Siddiqui
Like?

michaeladawson wrote:

Forget sRAW for even casual shooting. In fact, I would submit that for casual shooting sRAW is even more ridiculous. Just shoot lossy 12-bit compressed. Same file size. If it's casual shooting you don't have any deadlines to meet. What is it about sRAW that you see as an advantage?

Michael, you are 100% correct. I didn't realize the file size between 12-bit lossy compressed large RAW,  was almost the same as sRAW. I went ahead and modified my "casual shooting" bank with 12-bit RAW lossy compressed. Thanks for your advice.

Jzpunltd
Regular MemberPosts: 134
Like?
In reply to Waterengineer, 4 months ago

This might be a good read. I personally would not use sRaw

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/08/10/my-first-wedding-with-the-nikon-d810-by-michal-kriesch.aspx/

-- hide signature --

I'm not a great photographer.......Yet

Rumi Siddiqui
Like?
In reply to Jzpunltd, 4 months ago

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/08/10/my-first-wedding-with-the-nikon-d810-by-michal-kriesch.aspx/

-- hide signature --

I've read before on NR. I can't believe someone shot a wedding in that format. The bottom line for me, as Michael Dawson pointed out, is sRAW is essentially useless, considering that large RAW with 12-bit lossy compression is almost the same file size- which is perfect for my casual shooting memory bank.

michaeladawson
Like?
In reply to Jzpunltd, 4 months ago

Jzpunltd wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mr. Kriesch seems like he knows how to shoot a nice wedding.  But I wouldn't rely on him for technical camera advice.  He talks about how razor sharp the D810 is and how he shoots it at a minimum of 1/250s to avoid camera shake.  And yet he's shooting 9 MP images in sRAW.  What camera shake??

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads