How important is video in your DSLR ?

Started 2 months ago | Polls
petreluk
Regular MemberPosts: 353
Like?
Re: How important is video in your DSLR ?
In reply to JimC1101, 2 months ago

JimC1101 wrote:

I am sure that Pentax will not completely abandon video from any DSLR, but maybe Pentaxians are more interested in stills with video as is is just ok. Of course, the poll is a very small sampling of what others have posted but for the most part, we seem to be photographers more so than videographers. Again, if I was looking for a DSLR with better video, I would probably choose Canon but, what I look for is low light high iso shots and Canon fails miserably in that regard, at least in my perception.

I am happy being with Pentax for what it is. I would rather be focused on one area rather than trying to be all things to all people and they don't have the resources to do that. There are a lot of things they are trying to do right and the fact that they are simply adequate in video is fine with me. Sure the K-3 is still not a true video camera, but it is much much better than Pentax ever improved upon up to that point. I think Pentax is doing fine and the Ricoh income statements seem to show that they are going in the right direction, maybe just slower than most would like.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Just saying that Pentax likely haven't much choice in the matter. They have to follow the market like all companies, and if the market is moving in the direction of more emphasis on video, which I think it is, then Pentax is bound to follow. Just look at the huge success of GoPro which has arrived from nothing in a pretty short time.

This doesn't mean there is anything wrong with Ricoh's cameras and personally, I've no interest in video. It's all up to Ricoh, of course. They have the resources to do whatever they want. In fact, in the Q, they have a platform they could probably "GoPro" themselves if they really wanted.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
fcimbar
Regular MemberPosts: 323Gear list
Like?
If ı wanted to shoot video ...

I would buy a camcorder. It would be much cheaper

fcimbar's gear list:fcimbar's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Adobe Photoshop CS6 +3 more
AlbertInFrance
Senior MemberPosts: 2,275Gear list
Like?

I just wandered in here off the street. My only Pentax takes film. However, I'm an ex cameraman as well as an ex pro photographer. Shot my last real video a couple of years ago as a pro bono for a major charity.

I would never buy any of the current DSLRs from any manufacturer primarily to shoot video. Absolutely none of them. The ergonomics and connectivity are just not there.

I sometimes shoot family clips ('little jimmy's first steps' and suchlike) but I'd usually do that with my P&S.

If I were to go back to working in video I'd look at the BlackMagic cameras and if I wanted to do more serious amateur/pro bono stuff I'd probably get a micro 4/3 as a reasonable hybrid.

I'm considering getting a Pentax for the times when I need the strengths of a DSLR. Video capabilities will play absolutely no part in that buying decision.

-- hide signature --

Albert
Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.
Most people are more interested in the picture than the image.

AlbertInFrance's gear list:AlbertInFrance's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
Pontoneer
Contributing MemberPosts: 891Gear list
Like?

I am sure this has been asked many times before but it would be nice to see what an update looks like today, especially with the current ongoing thread of the Panasonic GH4. In the past, I had seen that a majority are more focused on the Photography side rather than the Videography side of our DSLR's so I wanted to see what it looks like today.

I use my still cameras to take photographs , and a video camera to shoot video .

The proper tool for each job and the correct ergonomics/handling for the task in hand without having to add bits on to make a Heath Robinson contraption which still does not handle or operate like a purpose built video camera .
--
With kind regards

Derek.

Pontoneer's gear list:Pontoneer's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED +37 more
lpammann
Senior MemberPosts: 2,142Gear list
Like?

Originally I would have said not important, but now that I have started stacking astro images from videos taken with my K3, I consider it very important. I plan to use it for planetary and moon photography and now I won't have to buy a separate planetary camera to do this.

LPA

lpammann's gear list:lpammann's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +1 more
John Cafarella
Contributing MemberPosts: 960
Like?
In reply to chiane, 2 months ago

People who make generaizations are ALWAYS wrong.

-- hide signature --

John Cafarella
Melbourne, Australia

Really. So far 30 votes for not wanting video at all (75%). Let's have a poll and see how many of those shooters primarily shoot wildlife and are over 50.

I'm surprised.  I only caught one in the fly trap...

-- hide signature --

John Cafarella
Melbourne, Australia

justin23
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,235Gear list
Like?
In reply to howieb101, 2 months ago

The thing is, if they removed video and the camera cost the same with no improvements elsewhere would you care?  They need to have video because everyone else does.  Most photographers could live without it I'm sure!  I use it rarely and occasionally, but when I do it is appreciated.

I think a lot would like video removed on the premise that it would make photos better or the camera cheaper.  I don't think there is any guarantee and in fact the camera probably comes with a better processing power for video and that extra processing ability is used to provide the more advanced photographic features like lens distortion that takes time to correct.

-- hide signature --

Justin
--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/justinwatson

justin23's gear list:justin23's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +11 more
Mac McCreery
Regular MemberPosts: 118Gear list
Like?

chiane wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

chiane wrote:

Old people that shoot wildlife have no use for video, so this forum is not a fair place to ask the question. It doesn't represent the buying public at large.

And just how old do you think some of us are? Or how young do you think the buying public is? Where would you use video? and Why do you think "old" people shoot wildlife? This is actually quite a diverse forum and a darn good cross section of the marketplace IMO... What other forum would you ask this question in to gauge the response from Pentax owners? According to your post the buying public are young people who shoot everything but wildlife, they always use video and don't hang out on this internet forum! Is this a correct understanding of what you're trying to convey?

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

I would be willing to bet the majority of regulars on here are of retirement age, so yes, that's old. If this is Pentax's market, they are really screwed in the coming years, if you know what I mean. I think the 'other' Pentax forum is a much better cross section of Pentax owners btw. This place is full of old crusties that hate change, hate new features, and would pretty much all sign up for a no nonsense k1000 slr but in digital form. You think you find that in Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, Canon forums? Those buyers actually like video. What do you think they all use it for? They sell cameras 10 fold compared to Pentax.

This forum I don't feel is representative of Pentax's market at all. Tell me what market Pentax makes colored k50's for? It's not you guys. Have you seen many k50 owners in here, or one's that don't have a black dslr (God forbid)? NO! Probably like 2 people own one. And this place has like a 50/1 wildlife to human life picture posting ratio. There's probably been like one post with actual humans in the gallery in the last 3 months I think.

And as for video, I use it to capture life's archival moments and many times it's a better archival tool than stills. Why would this never dawn on you, because you never shoot pictures of people or things personal. Shooting some bif or a big horn sheep is all about something completely different. I can understand why you don't want video. It's sad you can't comprehend why others do. And no, I don't need to carry another dedicated video camera if I want to shoot video. It's not one or the other.

I must say that is rather rude.

Mac- 46 clearly going on 86.

Mac McCreery's gear list:Mac McCreery's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
JimC1101
Regular MemberPosts: 413Gear list
Like?

I think around a month ago, there was a poll showing that the age between the 30 - 40 year range. But that is just a reflection of this forum so I would never say that it is totally representative of the Pentax installed base.

It is interesting to see how this poll has resulted from many posters here who basically say, if we don't show a major interest in video for our DSLR's, there is something wrong with us and we must only are shooting BIF or must be in our golden years. I don't know how it got to this from people who did not like he poll results and started bashing each other. I was surprised that the majority are not as much interested in video as they are in stills and I am in the same group as this. Obviously I don't think that only old people are using Pentax because I don't think an individual in retirement age is really interested in a certain color of the camera they are buying. I would think that the conservative approach from Pentax would be to give either basic black or silver as options, but Pentax offers a varied amount of colors because of what ? Yes, because younger groups want a color they like. To me, it is as simple as this, people who are going to send youtube videos are most likely not going to pull out their DSLR's to use it. They can, but it is easier to just use a cell phone. For Youtube, that is good enough, no mic or headphone or sound levels needed.

-- hide signature --

Jim

JimC1101's gear list:JimC1101's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +1 more
jhmos
Regular MemberPosts: 143Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mac McCreery, 2 months ago

I used my K-3 for slide show on the weekend to start going through my fathers old slides with him, recording his reminiscences . It worked very well, the sound was quite usable despite the noise of the projector fan and the gas fire. I also had a Zoom H1 running in case the camera sound wasn't good enough. Perfect for evoking stories from the 50's, and even earlier, against images on the screen.

Of course it didn't have to be a K-3, but that's the best I've got and is actually a good fit. No uncompressed video required for a slide show.

John.

jhmos's gear list:jhmos's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K100D Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +10 more
David Bourke
Regular MemberPosts: 469Gear list
Like?

I would love to have better video output from my K-5, but any fast action is terribly stuttery, so I don't use it much.  I really don't want to carry two cameras, and video will definitely be part of the decision making critieria for my next camera.

I have been playing with the idea of getting a Fuji XT-1, to have a smaller lighter package to taking skiing and backpacking, and the 14mm f2.8 lens looks great for shooting the Milky Way.  But the video sucks, which makes it less atractive for skiing.  Also, if I have to have an EVF, I would like to enjoy the benefit of using it for video.

David Bourke's gear list:David Bourke's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
rgibbons
Regular MemberPosts: 204
Like?
In reply to rogerstpierre, 2 months ago

rogerstpierre wrote:

A waste of computing resources as far as I am concerned. I'd rather see this computing power used to improve still images instead.

-- hide signature --

Roger

The computing power is not wasted on Video when you are taking stills,  The computer is occupied with video when you are in Video mode, and dedicated to stills when you are in still mode.

Russ G.

-- hide signature --

wish list: more time to take pictures

rgibbons
Like?
Re: If ı wanted to shoot video ...
In reply to fcimbar, 2 months ago

fcimbar wrote:

I would buy a camcorder. It would be much cheaper

For 30 years, I've carried both a camcorder and Camera.  It's a pain to carry both (along with their chargers, bags etc).

I held off on buying a newer Pentax DSLR till the K-3 came out with improved Video.  Going forward, I'll never again buy a camera that doesn't include video.  And I won't buy another Pentax upgrade till they improve focus and shake reduction while taking videos.

Russ G.

-- hide signature --

rgibbons
Like?
In reply to lpammann, 2 months ago

lpammann wrote:

Originally I would have said not important, but now that I have started stacking astro images from videos taken with my K3, I consider it very important. I plan to use it for planetary and moon photography and now I won't have to buy a separate planetary camera to do this.

I was taking photos of Saturn and the Moon through my telescope with the K-3 the past few evenings.  Because of Air turbulence distorting the image, I take a hundred or more pictures and stack the best ones to create a clearer image.  Using the K-3 at 8.3fps is nice, but a lot of wear on the shutter, with mirror vibration is more apparent when using a very long focal length of 2300mm as the lens.  So Video mode is the way to go for me.

Russ G.

-- hide signature --

Steve1307
Regular MemberPosts: 301Gear list
Like?

I think i have used the video once or twice each on the K-7, K-5 and Q.

Video is a necessary feature if they want to sell to the masses and that is a good thing, isn't it?

That Nikon DF is a special niche smeared with a liberal dollop of marketing aimed at dare I say it, gullible hipsters. If it looked exactly the same as a D600 and had no video then no one would buy it. Have they sold any? I have never seen one out and about, even in the inner city hangouts. Come to think of it, I've never seen one even in a store.

For the type of video I shoot I use a GoPro.
I would look even more rediculous with a DSLR mounted on the side of my ski helmet.

BTW: I'm under 50 and don't shoot wildlife because I don't have the patience and it tends to run/fly away whenever I show up.

Steve1307's gear list:Steve1307's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax Q Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +13 more
kriztian
Contributing MemberPosts: 623
Like?

I really would like Pentax to announce a new better video DSLR lets say K4, and that it would do 4K video like Panasonic. I am a Little bit reluctant to move from Penatx to Panasonic because of the smaller sensor and if I shift system it will probably be to the Sony a7s wich is great for shooting in dark and get´s a shallow DOF. Another reason to choose Sony is that the files are considerable smaller than the Panasonic files wich is important when one is going to process the films taken. From what I Heard you need at least 12 gig of ram to deal with Panasonic files ( and tons of harddrive)  while the a7s makes similar or better sharpness in full HD (compared to GH4´s 4K downscaled Full HD). I am almost druling after a Sony a7s. Cheers

-- hide signature --

kriztian

SirSeth
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,935Gear list
Like?
In reply to John Cafarella, 2 months ago

John Cafarella wrote:

People who make generaizations are ALWAYS wrong.

-- hide signature --

John Cafarella
Melbourne, Australia

Really. So far 30 votes for not wanting video at all (75%). Let's have a poll and see how many of those shooters primarily shoot wildlife and are over 50.

I'm surprised. I only caught one in the fly trap...

I'm 38, feeling young, and almost didn't buy into Pentax because of the video specs. Turns out the K5iis was just too high a value to ignore despite the lack of video props.

I do think there are age dynamics taking place with polls like this. It's no different in other forums. We took an age poll over at Olympus DSLR forum and I was on the young side of respondents. Most of the guys I really liked and recognized best were almost double my age. They are the ones that have time for forums and money for gear and no better place for curmudgeonly monologues. Also as Stephen mentioned, because Pentax video isn't very good, most people strongly desiring large sensor interchangeable lens video features have gone elsewhere.

What I don't get (even at my advanced age) is people who say absolutely perspective limited stuff like "If I wanted to take video I'd get a danged video camera... "snort!" or "If the next camera has HD  video, I'm getting an M6... snort!"

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
fakuryu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,036Gear list
Like?
I think it is a matter of skill

JimC1101 wrote:

I am sure this has been asked many times before but it would be nice to see what an update looks like today, especially with the current ongoing thread of the Panasonic GH4. In the past, I had seen that a majority are more focused on the Photography side rather than the Videography side of our DSLR's so I wanted to see what it looks like today.

I actually voted a no that I don't need a video function for my cameras but a friend of mine who is a TV producer sometimes use a Pentax K01 + Rode Video-Mic and a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 in manual AF mode for some of their segments for TV broadcast. And for fun, he sometimes mixes footage using that combo vs their pro video cameras on a particular segment, post it on our local messaging board and asks us to identify what segment that the K01 was used.

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,597Gear list
Like?
well....

I occasionally shoot video, maybe some 200 videos in 70,000 pictures.

Most are of family video moments. AF would be nice for that.

I also like to shoot some wildlife videos. Here i'd want manual WB and exposure, focus peaking during the exposure... Also if I pan, or if something crosses my frame, i'd like it to look smooth on the screen.

I don't use it much, and i'm usually not very concerned about IQ, but if video on (Pentax) Dslrs was better (user-friendlyness and IQ) i think many of us might use it more....

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads