How important is video in your DSLR ?

Started 4 months ago | Polls
JimC1101
Regular MemberPosts: 440Gear list
Like?
How important is video in your DSLR ?
4 months ago

I am sure this has been asked many times before but it would be nice to see what an update looks like today, especially with the current ongoing thread of the Panasonic GH4. In the past, I had seen that a majority are more focused on the Photography side rather than the Videography side of our DSLR's so I wanted to see what it looks like today.

JimC1101's gear list:JimC1101's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +1 more
POLL
Video is very important in my DSLR and I want Pentax to improve by meeting or exceeding the specs of the competition.
18.2% 18  votes
Video from Pentax is fine as it is at it's current state today and I am ok with it's current progression plan.
20.2% 20  votes
Pentax has video in their DSLR's ? I am a photographer, just spend time on improvements for stills.
61.6% 61  votes
  Show results
Tan68
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,013Gear list
Like?
Re: How important is video in your DSLR ?
In reply to JimC1101, 4 months ago

I have used video in K5 once.

I am not sure I did it right.

I do pull out my P/S to do an odd video (or simply to record music or singing). I use the P/S more than the 'big camera' but I am not concerned with artistic cinemagraphic efforts. Any video I take is more 'documentary' than artistic and the P/S with its zoom lens is more suitable at any given time than whatever I have on the K5. Using the K5 to record church choir seems silly so I don't do it.

+ I suppose I would vote No. 2

I am not quite of the mind all efforts should be directed toward still photos only but I do think no video stuff should be implemented at any expense of still images... A little different perspective. So, I would vote 2 only with reservation...

There have sometimes been rumors that this or that decision for hardware required for video causes some negative result for still images. Usually some increase in noise. Just as often there have been rumors that Pentax' poor video offerings have been so because they didn't want to compromise stills. Except K7...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Leandros S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,111Gear list
Like?
Between 1 and 2

It doesn't have to be as good as all the competition, but it does need to continue to improve, like all aspects of the K lineage.

-- hide signature --

No amount of perceived entitlement can replace actual expertise.

Stephenhampshire
Contributing MemberPosts: 856Gear list
Like?

Not important at all, I haven't taken a video since 2007 and doubt if I will in the next year or two. Not something I am interested in.

-- hide signature --
 Stephenhampshire's gear list:Stephenhampshire's gear list
Samsung TL350 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO +13 more
chiane
Senior MemberPosts: 4,397
Like?

Old people that shoot wildlife have no use for video, so this forum is not a fair place to ask the question. It doesn't represent the buying public at large.

Leandros S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,111Gear list
Like?
In reply to chiane, 4 months ago

chiane wrote:

Old people that shoot wildlife have no use for video, so this forum is not a fair place to ask the question. It doesn't represent the buying public at large.

I don't think that was implied by the OP.

-- hide signature --

MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,961
Like?

chiane wrote:

And just how old do you think some of us are? Or how young do you think the buying public is? Where would you use video? and Why do you think "old" people shoot wildlife? This is actually quite a diverse forum and a darn good cross section of the marketplace IMO... What other forum would you ask this question in to gauge the response from Pentax owners? According to your post the buying public are young people who shoot everything but wildlife, they always use video and don't hang out on this internet forum! Is this a correct understanding of what you're trying to convey?

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

JimC1101
Like?

Point taken but many young people will just pull out their cell phone for a quick youtube video and will most likely not pull out their DSLR in this circumstance. This, of course, is completely unscientific, just wanted to see how our fellow forum brethren felt about overall video as seen today.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +1 more
Joseph Tainter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,514
Like?

I've never used it, probably never will, and don't care about it.

Joe

Tan68
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,013Gear list
Like?
In reply to Leandros S, 4 months ago

No, but chiene is right.  Old people photographing animals have no use for video.  Young people photographing animals do.  Simple.

When was the last time you saw a whole string of silly cat pictures here?  Pointless forum as far as judging trends.  Birds and foxes and goats aren't the thing the public wants.  And if anyone is serious about cat pictures, they would know a frame from HD video is the best way to get the right expression for things like this:

go large

Leandros S wrote:

chiane wrote:

I don't think that was implied by the OP.

-- hide signature --

sgtsween
Regular MemberPosts: 399Gear list
Like?

I have shot exactly 0 seconds of video with my K-3 since I got it.

sgtsween's gear list:sgtsween's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-01 +12 more
Akar
Senior MemberPosts: 1,318
Like?

Not at all, I have never used video mode and I don't intend to use it in future.

-- hide signature --

'This is not that serious.. let's all have fun'
http://www.mojefotki.net
Take a look!

gaddigad
Senior MemberPosts: 1,660Gear list
Like?

Jim, target cohort should include those currently opting to use brands other than Pentax.

-- hide signature --

Ask not what your camera can do for you, but what you can do for your camera
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/gs-photos

JimC1101
Like?
In reply to Tan68, 4 months ago

I like the responses here already and they have all been very good indeed. I am glad my post and poll generated some thought into what has been said, which is exactly what I was hoping for.

For those of us who have been on this for forum for a long time, we look at the photos of what are posted and some of us think arghhhh, another flower photo again, and though they may not be the pics that would be that I would post here, many do and that is what is great in a forum such as this, we all show what we like, and choose what we want. For me, I not only look at the content, but what is in the EFIX. I always look at certain forum regulars and look at most of the ones I like for many reasons. Mike, for example, who shoots many BIF or airshows and others may think uggghhh but I look at his pics and see a very fine portfolio that I both look at and learn from by looking at his settings. He is one example I use here but there are many others that I look at too. There are many people who take photos here don't ever go past the Auto mode on their camera and some may never even know what EFIX is. That is what is great about shooting photos, too each his own.

What I like is that this forum is a cross-section of what people look at here is all things Pentax. I know that if I posted this poll in Canon or Nikon, their requirements would most likely be a lot different since video is very important to them. That is great and if I was to choose a DSLR with video in mind, I would have chosen another manufacturer, but I chose Pentax for what its strengths and weakness are, and I chose Pentax for what I wanted, and I have been very happy with it.

-- hide signature --

Jim

JimC1101
Like?
In reply to gaddigad, 4 months ago

Yes but I just wanted to focus on the Pentax forum, of which I spend a majority of my time on, too much time if you ever talked to my wife. I am sure that if I polled a general question for any video users, or if I was to post this poll in the Canon or Nikon forum, I would see a completely different result. Video is very important to those users but for us who shoot Pentax, in my opinion, stills is what is important to us. That is why I wanted to be Pentax specific so I could see how other Pentax users feel to see if I am in the same boat as they are. For me, I shoot a small video cam when I am on vacation or a specific event and use it. I use my K-30 at times if a video opportunity arises and I use the movie mode, but I am usually taking stills at that time and will think, hey, this would be a great quick video and I shoot it. I like shooting with it and like the videos it produces, and use Adobe Premeir for all of my video needs, but to others, I am sure they want and need more than what Pentax video provides and to them it is not good enough.

-- hide signature --

Jim

soheil
Senior MemberPosts: 2,136Gear list
Like?
exif not efix

Most people on this forum have a huge experience in photography and started with film cams and are used to use DSLRs for stills and camcorders for movies. What most people use their movies is to share it on YouTube and other social networks, for that most cell phones are sufficient.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Soheil
------------------------------
It's the singer not the song.

soheil's gear list:soheil's gear list
Pentax Optio 330GS Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs +18 more
TomWret
Senior MemberPosts: 1,558Gear list
Like?

I've had a few, DSLR's, never once used the video. I wish I could have had the option of opting out at a cost saving.

Tom W(ret)

-- hide signature --

...a bad picture is like a missed putt, it's never your fault.
http://photographybythomaswhitehurst.zenfolio.com

TomWret's gear list:TomWret's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP AF 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF) Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +3 more
chiane
Senior MemberPosts: 4,397
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, 4 months ago

MightyMike wrote:

chiane wrote:

And just how old do you think some of us are? Or how young do you think the buying public is? Where would you use video? and Why do you think "old" people shoot wildlife? This is actually quite a diverse forum and a darn good cross section of the marketplace IMO... What other forum would you ask this question in to gauge the response from Pentax owners? According to your post the buying public are young people who shoot everything but wildlife, they always use video and don't hang out on this internet forum! Is this a correct understanding of what you're trying to convey?

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

I would be willing to bet the majority of regulars on here are of retirement age, so yes, that's old. If this is Pentax's market, they are really screwed in the coming years, if you know what I mean. I think the 'other' Pentax forum is a much better cross section of Pentax owners btw. This place is full of old crusties that hate change, hate new features, and would pretty much all sign up for a no nonsense k1000 slr but in digital form. You think you find that in Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, Canon forums? Those buyers actually like video. What do you think they all use it for? They sell cameras 10 fold compared to Pentax.

This forum I don't feel is representative of Pentax's market at all. Tell me what market Pentax makes colored k50's for? It's not you guys. Have you seen many k50 owners in here, or one's that don't have a black dslr (God forbid)? NO! Probably like 2 people own one. And this place has like a 50/1 wildlife to human life picture posting ratio. There's probably been like one post with actual humans in the gallery in the last 3 months I think.

And as for video, I use it to capture life's archival moments and many times it's a better archival tool than stills. Why would this never dawn on you, because you never shoot pictures of people or things personal. Shooting some bif or a big horn sheep is all about something completely different. I can understand why you don't want video. It's sad you can't comprehend why others do. And no, I don't need to carry another dedicated video camera if I want to shoot video. It's not one or the other.

MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,961
Like?

Stop assuming, you'll live longer that way!

chiane wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

chiane wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

I would be willing to bet the majority of regulars on here are of retirement age, so yes, that's old. If this is Pentax's market, they are really screwed in the coming years, if you know what I mean. I think the 'other' Pentax forum is a much better cross section of Pentax owners btw. This place is full of old crusties that hate change, hate new features, and would pretty much all sign up for a no nonsense k1000 slr but in digital form. You think you find that in Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, Canon forums? Those buyers actually like video. What do you think they all use it for? They sell cameras 10 fold compared to Pentax.

This forum I don't feel is representative of Pentax's market at all. Tell me what market Pentax makes colored k50's for? It's not you guys. Have you seen many k50 owners in here, or one's that don't have a black dslr (God forbid)? NO! Probably like 2 people own one. And this place has like a 50/1 wildlife to human life picture posting ratio. There's probably been like one post with actual humans in the gallery in the last 3 months I think.

And as for video, I use it to capture life's archival moments and many times it's a better archival tool than stills. Why would this never dawn on you, because you never shoot pictures of people or things personal. Shooting some bif or a big horn sheep is all about something completely different. I can understand why you don't want video. It's sad you can't comprehend why others do. And no, I don't need to carry another dedicated video camera if I want to shoot video. It's not one or the other.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,221Gear list
Like?
Video? We are lucky we have Pentax at all

JimC1101 wrote:

I am sure this has been asked many times before but it would be nice to see what an update looks like today, especially with the current ongoing thread of the Panasonic GH4. In the past, I had seen that a majority are more focused on the Photography side rather than the Videography side of our DSLR's so I wanted to see what it looks like today.

You are too demanding. We are lucky Pentax still sticks around. And you want a video that is on the world's level of performance?

If you are too discerning, or too demanding, you will not get into Pentax system.

Pentax is for hermits used to fasting, and fellows who boast loudly they need no silly video.

They think their worldview and tastes define that brand, especially limits where the brand should express itself, and will dismiss you straight away. Just read the rest of this thread; there'll be plenty of those.

-- hide signature --

Madamina, il catalogo è questo; Delle belle che amò il padron mio; un catalogo egli è che ho fatt'io; Osservate, leggete con me.

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads