PART 2- This Week Through YOUR m4/3 2014.08.02 -PART 2

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Lights
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,405Gear list
Like?
Re: Swallowtail SOOC
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 4 months ago

Took this with my EP3 and my Tamron SP 35-80 F2.8-3.5 Macro Adaptall II (80mm macro mode-probably more than 1 to 3+ since it's a continuous focusing lens and will do so with a 2X flat field converter from infinity down to 1:1 (the converter wasn't on),  saw the butterfly  outside and was quite a hurry to get the camera and mount the lens. No processing/no crop just re-sized. First thought it was a Monarch (roughly the size) but hey I told myself Monarchs aren't yellow.

-- hide signature --

My Gallery is here -
http://www.pbase.com/madlights
The Joker: Why so serious?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hen3ry
Forum ProPosts: 10,968Gear list
Like?
Damn right, Frank! Don’t think I hadn't noticed! Shiver!!!
In reply to FrankS009, 4 months ago

FrankS009 wrote:

No offence to downtown Ballarat, but the grey weather and grey cars seem a symbolic contrast with the vivid colours of your usual tropical haunts.

Exactly! I escape northwards., tropicalwards woth as happy cry and a song in my heart on Tuesday! Can't wait!

But -- Ballarat has a grat tourism plan and I wanted to talk with people about how they do it.

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 13,771Gear list
Like?
Re: Mellow Yellow
In reply to yyr, 4 months ago

Your title belies the image for me Yaelle.  I like the graphic lines but the colour for me, not so much!   I like yellow but this is getting far away from soft or mellow.  I wanted to comment much earlier after you had originally posted this but I was at a loss as to what to say.

I played with it a bit and tried the following in LR:  shadows and saturation both -31, and in the colour saturation orange -71 and yellow +20.  This gave a more pleasing look for me where the graphics became a more dominant part of the image as well as the figures through the windows (or reflected) than the overpowering colour.  As always, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I think the image has potential to be very nice but the "in your face" colour gets in the way for me.

Andrew

yyr
yyr
Senior MemberPosts: 3,351
Like?
In reply to 19andrew47, 4 months ago

19andrew47 wrote:

Your title belies the image for me Yaelle. I like the graphic lines but the colour for me, not so much! I like yellow but this is getting far away from soft or mellow. I wanted to comment much earlier after you had originally posted this but I was at a loss as to what to say.

I played with it a bit and tried the following in LR: shadows and saturation both -31, and in the colour saturation orange -71 and yellow +20. This gave a more pleasing look for me where the graphics became a more dominant part of the image as well as the figures through the windows (or reflected) than the overpowering colour. As always, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the image has potential to be very nice but the "in your face" colour gets in the way for me.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew. I agree it is a matter of taste. This was for me just a very boring picture that I thought had potential and I was curious to get a view. I applied your settings and have posted it below. I've also posted the OOC shot for interest below that. I wasn't sure about your version but it's kind of growing on me - it has a ghostly elegance to it

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------
"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen." - Minor White

yyr
yyr
Like?

FrankS009 wrote:

An elegant photo, with a subtle focal point. I like the reflected figure(s). The GM1 did a great job.

As far as the composition is concerned ,I am always reluctant to suggest differences, but what would it look like if the panels serving as the border of the door (on the left and top) were cropped in half? That might pull the focal point (and the ghostly figure) a bit more into the foreground.

F.

-- hide signature --

"We shoot the things that move us in ways that will move others." David duChemin

A belated 'thank you' Frank. Don't hesitate, to suggest - I asked for comments didn't I? Here's you're crop - what do you think? In the original there's a subtle little juxtaposition that appeals too my (warped?) mind. The building is Number 2 (it's faintly visible above the door) and there are 2 reflections - subtle but it makes me smile.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------
"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen." - Minor White

yyr
yyr
Like?
Re: Chatting with the neighbors ... Italian style
In reply to Anders W, 4 months ago

Anders W wrote:

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

yyr wrote:

Anders W wrote:

At Via Borgata Dora, Turin. Shot with the 75-300 II.

The blue underpants hanging on the pole make it for me. Brilliant.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------

RE: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54138054

Are the blue underpants and the dissimilar "poles" of the clotheslines Postmodern or Italian Chic?

I think it is ordinary Italian messiness, although of the charming kind. While Piedmont is one of the most orderly regions of Italy and although Italy is certainly a country where the feeling for aesthetics and design is highly developed,

Yes!! that's me

exceptions apparently exist.

Yes, that's my neighbours

LOL

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------

19andrew47
Like?

Yaelle, I also tried it with even less saturation and liked that as well.  I then took that result and tried a cyano type conversion which had potential (I liked the soft greens) then went back to the colour and in the process inadvertently pick up some split toning that I had used in another image (not sure how that happened but ...).  It looked as if it had potential as well.  Lots of opportunity to go exploring with this.  I see from the original you did some removal as well.

Andrew

yyr
yyr
Like?

19andrew47 wrote:

Yaelle, I also tried it with even less saturation and liked that as well. I then took that result and tried a cyano type conversion which had potential (I liked the soft greens) then went back to the colour and in the process inadvertently pick up some split toning that I had used in another image (not sure how that happened but ...). It looked as if it had potential as well. Lots of opportunity to go exploring with this. I see from the original you did some removal as well.

Andrew

Feel free to post. Yes - a quick & dirty but that man in the white shirt kept catching my eye and I wasn't happy with him being there. Also, I don't know if you noticed but I've just replied to Frank's comment..

In the original there's a subtle little juxtaposition that appeals too my (warped?) mind. The building is Number 2 (it's faintly visible above the door) and there are 2 reflections - subtle but it makes me smile.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------

tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 4,150Gear list
Like?

yyr wrote:

19andrew47 wrote:

Yaelle, I also tried it with even less saturation and liked that as well. I then took that result and tried a cyano type conversion which had potential (I liked the soft greens) then went back to the colour and in the process inadvertently pick up some split toning that I had used in another image (not sure how that happened but ...). It looked as if it had potential as well. Lots of opportunity to go exploring with this. I see from the original you did some removal as well.

Andrew

Feel free to post. Yes - a quick & dirty but that man in the white shirt kept catching my eye and I wasn't happy with him being there. Also, I don't know if you noticed but I've just replied to Frank's comment..

In the original there's a subtle little juxtaposition that appeals too my (warped?) mind. The building is Number 2 (it's faintly visible above the door) and there are 2 reflections - subtle but it makes me smile.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------

I like the original more. It's shouting loud colours with subtle and subdued reflected figures almost requiring the viewer to find them, in a composition that's stable with all right angles but with some kind of dynamic energy because nothing is centred. It's one of those that shout look at me, then follow up with little tidbits to discover and enjoy.

19andrew47
Like?

I did notice your comment to Frank, but the brain was dead and I didn't get the connection until you drew my attention to it again!  I don't mind the yellow nearly so much in the cropped version you posted in response to Frank's suggestion.  Less it more here for me I guess.

Well I wasn't sure how the split toning came to be when I was messing with the image but two evenings ago I was working on a car image (yes, you could not have guessed that!) I used split toning on a version I plan to post in the future.  I did not reset it to zero afterward and it does not reset itself if I don't apply my usual preset to the image, which I did not.  The result on your image after the desaturation etc is below.

Andrew

modified for comment only

yyr
yyr
Like?
In reply to tt321, 4 months ago

tt321 wrote:

yyr wrote:

19andrew47 wrote:

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------

I like the original more. It's shouting loud colours with subtle and subdued reflected figures almost requiring the viewer to find them, in a composition that's stable with all right angles but with some kind of dynamic energy because nothing is centred. It's one of those that shout look at me, then follow up with little tidbits to discover and enjoy.

You are a very useful person to have around I never really understand why something works - only that it does (or does for me) This image has a sibling which I'm saving for Saturday - I look forward to hearing your analysis if you're about.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------

yyr
yyr
Like?

19andrew47 wrote:

I did notice your comment to Frank, but the brain was dead and I didn't get the connection until you drew my attention to it again! I don't mind the yellow nearly so much in the cropped version you posted in response to Frank's suggestion. Less it more here for me I guess.

Well I wasn't sure how the split toning came to be when I was messing with the image but two evenings ago I was working on a car image (yes, you could not have guessed that!) I used split toning on a version I plan to post in the future. I did not reset it to zero afterward and it does not reset itself if I don't apply my usual preset to the image, which I did not. The result on your image after the desaturation etc is below.

Andrew

modified for comment only

Thanks Andrew - I'll be honest and say I'm not a big fan of this. I bet it looks great on your car though

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------

FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,496Gear list
Like?

Hmm... I think it does what I envisaged, making the focal point more distinct - there is benefit to that, I like the focus objects, both person and cylinder - but it would be at the cost of the richness of the "border" of the door. If you left a bit more of the surrounding panels in your crop to increase that part of the "tapestry" of the image, the "square" at the top left corner would become a rectangle and probably not look as good but the sense of perspective might improve. Not easy to balance, and keep all the aesthetic pieces that your warped mind dictates.

Here is a slight less cropped version. Am not sure if it is better, but I offer it anyway.

F.

Insert caption here. If you do not edit this text it will be automatically removed.

F.

-- hide signature --

"We shoot the things that move us in ways that will move others." David duChemin

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
yyr
yyr
Like?
Ballarat?
In reply to Hen3ry, 4 months ago

Hen3ry wrote:

FrankS009 wrote:

No offence to downtown Ballarat, but the grey weather and grey cars seem a symbolic contrast with the vivid colours of your usual tropical haunts.

Exactly! I escape northwards., tropicalwards woth as happy cry and a song in my heart on Tuesday! Can't wait!

But -- Ballarat has a grat tourism plan and I wanted to talk with people about how they do it.

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

I can't think of another good reason for going there.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------

Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 5,266Gear list
Like?
Re: cross processing
In reply to Pic Man, 4 months ago

I like the first one but would definitely try to clone out the plastic thing next to her wrist.

On the second I would try to bring up the highlights on the drivers side (USA) of the car.

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Like?

Of the three I like the original color you posted best by a wide margin.

I think you posted the wrong original though. You would have had to remove one human and add another, otherwise.

Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
yyr
yyr
Like?
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 4 months ago

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

Of the three I like the original color you posted best by a wide margin.

I think you posted the wrong original though. You would have had to remove one human and add another, otherwise.

I removed one human. the one in the left hand corner is there but needs PP to bring him out.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------

yyr
yyr
Like?

Both cropped versions pull the viewer into the building. But you've forced me to think about what I want - I want them outside the building straining to see in. That's how it felt when I took the shot and watched people going in and out. Thanks

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------

lambert4
Senior MemberPosts: 1,385Gear list
Like?
Re: Chihuly Glass Exhibit - Denver Botanic Gardens
In reply to brentbrent, 4 months ago

Very nicely done,   Visited the exhibit in Phoenix this past Spring and it was a difficult subject to compose, the images are well done but even they do not show the enormity of the glass sculptures.  Very well captured and nicely composed for what I can appreciate as being a difficult subject.

thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Like?

yyr wrote:

I removed one human. the one in the left hand corner is there but needs PP to bring him out.

I see that other one hidden in there now. Good job of removing the other one. I had no idea.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads