tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 3,848Gear list
Like?
Re: London museums
In reply to yyr, 2 months ago

yyr wrote:

tt321 wrote:

Using the PL25 as a portrait lens ...

re the museum pieces - so it's always a struggle to know how to photograph stuff like this and make it more than documentary photography. I think you've done a good job here.

Some months ago I did a load of 'portraits' from a work of art you'll probably recognise http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52928809

I've always found that to be very difficult. And I never seem to leave enough time - almost always arrive at King's Cross about 15 min before my train departs. Should leave more time next time round and see if I could do something as there is a lot of inspiration in your set. Thanks.

Now this is interesting - I'm going to offer up a couple of observations. Firstly, the white balance to me looks a bit too yellow. The blue parts of the sky are yellow-ish too. That might be your intent but my personal taste says 'no'

Hmm. Auto WB. My colour perception is a bit uncritical. Will have a look at the source file with more care and see what could be done.

Secondly - Is there more to this that you've cropped off, particularly below and to the left of the lamp?

You don't want to know what was to the left of the lamp post. I think it was some kind of advert board showing a lady in beach clothing

I wonder if it could do with a bit more space. I'll sometimes do this in Elements if I haven't got the composition quite right in camera. As long as it's just a small amount around the edges it can resue me. This one would not be difficult to do like that.

Thirdly - move the watermark off the lamp and maybe to the RHS?

Yeah that's a serious oversight.

Finally - Shepherds Bush? Really? I wouldn't brag about that

You might be surprised how the various 'modern' shopping centre type structures have done to that place.

Well worth the effort - I think this picture is terrific and it really appeals to me.

Unfortunately I was with someone else, so had to dispatch Albert's monument a couple of hours earlier then do a supper and when the sky became like this we were already at that place. Just picture that sky behind this architecture below. Alas it's not to be.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 3,848Gear list
Like?
Re: Chatting with the neighbors ... Italian style
In reply to Anders W, 2 months ago

You have finally become amalrit

Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,329Gear list
Like?
In reply to tt321, 2 months ago

tt321 wrote:

You have finally become amalrit

No insults please. This is an artful composition.

An alternative title would be "Romeo and Juliet upside down".

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
sinkas
Contributing MemberPosts: 525Gear list
Like?
Reply to rustysurfer
In reply to rustysurfer, 2 months ago

First of all welcome to the forum. I like the fifth photo especially and I am not sure what bird that is.  A couple of house keeping things - replace the heading with one of your own. There is no hard and fast rules for photo uploads but I reduce the size of mine to about 1 meg but keep the DPI as shot - using Faststone resizer.

I have the Oly 75-300mm MkII, and while it is a reasonable lens, it is not good enough for exceptional feather detail at 300mm in my view, particularly when cropping. In very good light it is okay but many of us birders are waiting for the Olympus 300 F4 Pro.

Most importantly keep posting!

-- hide signature --

Regards Daryl
http://dsinclair.zenfolio.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/123427081@N03/
Hobbes: You're ignorant, but at least you act on it.”

sinkas's gear list:sinkas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +2 more
Roberto Angelo
Regular MemberPosts: 254Gear list
Like?
Evening stroll in Rome
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 2 months ago

Three photos I took this winter with the Olympus Epl1.

The first with the LUMIX G 14/F2.5

https://flic.kr/p/o92e7L

The second with the OLYMPUS M.45mm F1.8

https://flic.kr/p/osd66P

The third with the LUMIX G 14/F2.5

https://flic.kr/p/o91uPX

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barbaresco/sets

Roberto Angelo's gear list:Roberto Angelo's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +2 more
yyr
yyr
Senior MemberPosts: 2,824
Like?
Mellow Yellow

Just playing around with this shot. Would value feedback, good/bad/indifferent.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------
"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen." - Minor White

yyr
yyr
Like?

Anders W wrote:

At Via Borgata Dora, Turin. Shot with the 75-300 II.

The blue underpants hanging on the pole make it for me. Brilliant.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------
"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen." - Minor White

Shadowfixer
Contributing MemberPosts: 563Gear list
Like?
Quick trip to the Zoo

Shot with Oly EM-10, Nikon 80-400 VR lens and Metabones adapter.

Shadowfixer's gear list:Shadowfixer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Nikon D200 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +3 more
yyr
yyr
Like?
Re: Evening
In reply to assaft, 2 months ago

These give a really nice sense of time and place. Would be curious to see the first in its original form.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------

yyr
yyr
Like?
Re: Quick trip to the Zoo
In reply to Shadowfixer, 2 months ago

Beautiful.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------

brentbrent
Contributing MemberPosts: 879
Like?
Chihuly Glass Exhibit - Denver Botanic Gardens

Color!

-- hide signature --

Brent

Shadowfixer
Contributing MemberPosts: 563Gear list
Like?

yyr wrote:

Beautiful.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------

Thanks. First time out using this setup. I still have some learning to do to get the most out of this setup.

Shadowfixer's gear list:Shadowfixer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Nikon D200 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +3 more
yyr
yyr
Like?
Re: Evening stroll in Rome
In reply to Roberto Angelo, 2 months ago

Love the second. When looking at it in large size the structure of the bridge seems much darker that in the body of the post. Not sure how it looks on your monitor but in the larger size I'd do something to lighten up the bottom half of the picture and bring out some of the bridge detail.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------

Michael Kilpatrick
Contributing MemberPosts: 956Gear list
Like?

That's a cute shot. Well spotted and well taken.

-- hide signature --

Michael Kilpatrick
www.pbase.com/mrk03

Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 4,686Gear list
Like?
Re: Mellow Yellow

I was very attracted to this shot immediately. After if I wasn't inclined to give feedback it would have probably ended there. Then I started to analyze so I could saying something approaching intelligence.

If it were mine I would go back and try to get the same shot without the reflections of the two people. I suspect there will be others who say the people make the shot. For me the shot is the metallic orange color and the structure of the metal.

I would also try, and probably fail to get both the floor line and the top of the elevator to align horizontally.

I definitely think there is something there.

Also, I have no idea if this is possible but it *might* be cool to have the photographers reflection at the end of the tunnel. I'd want to give that a try and evaluate in post.

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Michael Kilpatrick
Like?
Re: Curious Swans

Thanks. This was the only shot I got in which they were both posed well. I would have preferred the trees not to be there but they wouldn't cooperate.

Regards

-- hide signature --

Michael Kilpatrick
www.pbase.com/mrk03

Michael Kilpatrick
Like?
In reply to Shadowfixer, 2 months ago

These are all much better than most of the zoo shots that are posted on these forums. They would all make beautiful framed prints. Well done.

-- hide signature --

Michael Kilpatrick
www.pbase.com/mrk03

Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 4,686Gear list
Like?
Re: Chihuly Glass Exhibit - Denver Botanic Gardens
In reply to brentbrent, 2 months ago

A beautiful place beautifully captured. 3 & 5 stand out to me as jarringly ordinary in the series of outstanding photos.

Most times when I look through a set I can just enjoy the ones I like and pass by those I don't. But in this case as I scanned crisp photos after crisp photo those two kind of slapped me in the face a bit.

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
yyr
yyr
Like?
Re: Mellow Yellow

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

I was very attracted to this shot immediately. After if I wasn't inclined to give feedback it would have probably ended there. Then I started to analyze so I could saying something approaching intelligence.

Interesting feedback. The facade is actually made from a yellow perspex and quite flat in colour. I used a fairly heavy hand in NIK HDR to introduce the shadows and colour variation.

If it were mine I would go back and try to get the same shot without the reflections of the two people. I suspect there will be others who say the people make the shot. For me the shot is the metallic orange color and the structure of the metal.

I kind of like the ghosty people. They're both outside on the other side of the road having a cigarette break - you're seeing reflections.

I would also try, and probably fail to get both the floor line and the top of the elevator to align horizontally.

I was out shopping yesterday morning when I got this. The GM1 is so small I really struggle to line it up and keep it straight. I might take the EM1 around next time and try you're suggestion.

I definitely think there is something there.

Also, I have no idea if this is possible but it *might* be cool to have the photographers reflection at the end of the tunnel. I'd want to give that a try and evaluate in post.

I hate having my photo taken and I hate being in my own photos even more. Anything that has my reflection in it goes straight to the trash.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------

brentbrent
Contributing MemberPosts: 879
Like?
Re: Chihuly Glass Exhibit - Denver Botanic Gardens

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

A beautiful place beautifully captured. 3 & 5 stand out to me as jarringly ordinary in the series of outstanding photos.

Thanks for your comments. Yeah, I posted #5 just to show the piece. It's big, maybe 15 feet tall, with distracting background stuff from most vantage points. So far I haven't figured out anything interesting to do with that piece.

I tried to take a mix of shots that just showed pieces, and others that had a bit more environmental context. Personally I kind of like the composition of #3 as an example of the latter, but the image quality isn't the greatest. Here's another shot of that piece that perhaps you would prefer:

These shots are all from my first two visits to the exhibit, both of which were pretty rushed, intended more as recon missions than anything else. I'm figuring out what I can shoot with which lenses, and I plan to go back and take a bit more time.  The exhibit is here til November, and I hear it's nicely lit at night (open til 9 pm).

-- hide signature --

Brent

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads