Poor 810 sales

Started 1 month ago | Discussions
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,902Gear list
Like?
He may be right
In reply to jadot, 1 month ago

but only in the sense that he is seeing a fact and talking about the near term. Where he is wrong is in his conclusion. Getting away from NX-2 will be the best thing that ever happened to Nikon photographers who have become dependent on this software.

jadot wrote:

Thom Hogan suggests that Nikon aren't selling out of D810s because of the workflow support etc.

He might have a point, and his numbers might be right but if he stopped whining on about Nikon's management of this and that for a minute he might be able to see what's right there in front of us all.

A lot of people figured out that they didn't need a D800. A couple of years later, those Nikon users have realised that justifying the expense of regularly 'upgrading' for the sake of it is getting harder to swallow. Technically speaking the D810 is probably up there with best DSLRs on the market today, but it's also easier to decide not to jump into the next iteration of camera when the one you've already got is 99% going to continue to hit the high notes.

Also, a lot of people have moved from DSLRs to mirror-less Systems, specifically Fuji. Why? Because they're much improved and a lot has changed in this market since the D800 was released. It's liberated a lot of photographers I know. People who used to be devoted Nikon or Canon photographers have in some numbers moved on, un phased, un excited, and unimpressed that there is a new DSLR to blow another 3k on.

it may not be the whole story, but there has been a seismic shift in the pro-sumer and pro markets, particularly the weddings and lifestyle end of things, and that shift has been towards smaller, lighter, and very capable CSCs.

Personally, I'd love a D810, but I don't need one any more. It would be an expensive toy, and my cameras really have to earn their keep. It might be worth hiring one for the studio once in a while, but not a regular thing.

2 years ago I would have bought one on release but I'll pass on this today because I have better options for the kind of photography I do in 2014.

I'm not the only one.

-- hide signature --

examples of my photography at www.alexanderleaman.co.uk

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, shooting for pleasure. It is better to have It and not need It than need It and not have It. Various RAW comparisons at Link below. Includes 5D3 vs D800E (new uploads), 5D3 vs. 6D, Zeiss lenses etc. https://app.box.com/s/71w40ita6hrcfghojaie

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rolleix
Forum MemberPosts: 71
Like?
Re: Poor 810 sales - not where I am
In reply to larrywilson, 1 month ago

Yes, I believe the lack of sales is a bunch of bull.  Most people who wanted and possibly needed the d810 worked their way around the lack of capture nx-2.  A lot of these people use other editing programs than Nikon's.  Some people learn to use other programs besides Nikon software which are as good or better.

Larry

What's NX-2?

AZ Steve
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
Re: Not really - but Thom Hogan has poor ad revenues... :)
In reply to The_Suede, 1 month ago

Right on, Suede.  It's a relief to me to see someone responsible saying this about Thom:  I had thought maybe I was just getting sour in my old age.

jcvjcvjcvjcv
Regular MemberPosts: 289
Like?
Re: Poor 810 sales

I've got no clue about how well the D810 sells, but in the Netherlands a lot of the Nikon glass received a 10% price hike a month ago...

I think that will hold off some people too.

Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,680
Like?
Good 810 sales — #3 DSLR on Amazon

As Reilly pointed out, the D810 is #3 on Amazon's DSLR best seller list. It is also the most expensive DSLR in the top 30.

Perhaps the availability of the D810 is due to it being built in Thailand instead of Sendai, Japan and that there haven't been any natural disasters lately.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
When you look through the viewfinder do you see an object or do you see a picture?

Lord of the Badgers
Senior MemberPosts: 1,729
Like?

jadot wrote:

Thom Hogan suggests that Nikon aren't selling out of D810s because of the workflow support etc.

He might have a point, and his numbers might be right but if he stopped whining on about Nikon's management of this and that for a minute he might be able to see what's right there in front of us all.

A lot of people figured out that they didn't need a D800. A couple of years later, those Nikon users have realised that justifying the expense of regularly 'upgrading' for the sake of it is getting harder to swallow. Technically speaking the D810 is probably up there with best DSLRs on the market today, but it's also easier to decide not to jump into the next iteration of camera when the one you've already got is 99% going to continue to hit the high notes.

Also, a lot of people have moved from DSLRs to mirror-less Systems, specifically Fuji. Why? Because they're much improved and a lot has changed in this market since the D800 was released. It's liberated a lot of photographers I know. People who used to be devoted Nikon or Canon photographers have in some numbers moved on, un phased, un excited, and unimpressed that there is a new DSLR to blow another 3k on.

it may not be the whole story, but there has been a seismic shift in the pro-sumer and pro markets, particularly the weddings and lifestyle end of things, and that shift has been towards smaller, lighter, and very capable CSCs.

Personally, I'd love a D810, but I don't need one any more. It would be an expensive toy, and my cameras really have to earn their keep. It might be worth hiring one for the studio once in a while, but not a regular thing.

2 years ago I would have bought one on release but I'll pass on this today because I have better options for the kind of photography I do in 2014.

I'm not the only one.

-- hide signature --

This is most likely only really a problem if you're a Nikon shareholder.

Rest of us realise the landscape's moved on since the D3 was released - none of this is exactly earth shattering news. Market forces have granted us many a choice. And laws of diminishing returns comes into effect.

I baulk at the D810 because I know I don't really need that many sodding pixels. So I'm not moving til I work out if I might just pack a D610 to keep me amused.

That aside. One shop (UK chain, and no, not beginning with J) told me the 810 isn't being stocked if the shop's not a pro dealer. Anyone heard this?

If so.. that IS a bad move...

sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,551Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lord of the Badgers, 1 month ago

Lord of the Badgers wrote:

jadot wrote:

I'm not the only one.

-- hide signature --

This is most likely only really a problem if you're a Nikon shareholder.

Rest of us realise the landscape's moved on since the D3 was released - none of this is exactly earth shattering news. Market forces have granted us many a choice. And laws of diminishing returns comes into effect.

I baulk at the D810 because I know I don't really need that many sodding pixels. So I'm not moving til I work out if I might just pack a D610 to keep me amused.

That aside. One shop (UK chain, and no, not beginning with J) told me the 810 isn't being stocked if the shop's not a pro dealer. Anyone heard this?

If so.. that IS a bad move...

No and as noted above, the D810 is selling well. This whole thread is somewhat spurious.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Truman Prevatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,751Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shotcents, 1 month ago

Shotcents wrote:

I've been working with the new Nikon software and it's not wonderful. In some respects, with my NX-2 not working with D810 NEf files, I DO feel like Nikon released the camera without proper support.

I shot all week for a client and the D810 sits in the box. The D800 is on the tripod making money.

I know the software will catch up and I'll adjust, but Nikon was stupid to not keep NX2 working until the new software was more refined. Some of my friends bought the D810 and some did not. The ones who didn't cite the loss of NX-2 as part of their reasoning for taking a pass for know.

The D810 is available pretty much everywhere. Amazon will put one on your doorstep in 24 hours.

Robert

Nikon probably wrote a very poor contract with Nik.  They also probably ran into a huge legal department at Google that told Nikon - not only no but Hell no - you are not dealing with a small S/W startup now you are dealing with a company that eats companies your size for lunch.

Camera companies are extremely poor S/W companies.  They don't do it well.  There is no good camera company S/W out there, be it Nikon, Canon, Sony - none.  There was no way I expect Nikon had the staff expertise to keep maintaining Capture NX.

Camera companies - every one of them - should get over the illusion they can develop decent image processing S/W and provide the necessary information to DXO, Adobe, Capture One, etc. to implement prior the camera release.  If anything that was Nikon's mistake.   It makes no sense for Nikon, Canon and Sony have their own staffs for S/W since the S/W companies can do it much better and much more efficiently.

I just checked B&H - the D810 is still listed as pre-order (i.e. not in stock) so everyone doesn't have them yet.

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +6 more
larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,315
Like?
In reply to sgoldswo, 1 month ago

Yes this thread has "no meat and lots of potatoes".  Nothing really to comment on.

Larry

Jones R
Regular MemberPosts: 252
Like?
In reply to Lord of the Badgers, 1 month ago

Lord of the Badgers wrote:

Seems to be so in my (Canadian) city. I was told that dealers not certified as "Nikon Pro" do not carry the D800 and above (as in the D4).

Then again I asked about this a couple of years ago. I am also unsure as to whether this policy is nation-wide.

l_d_allan
Senior MemberPosts: 2,195Gear list
Like?
ACR 8.6 released for D810 in late July
In reply to Shotcents, 1 month ago

Shotcents wrote:
I've been working with the new Nikon software and it's not wonderful. In some respects, with my NX-2 not working with D810 NEf files, I DO feel like Nikon released the camera without proper support.

I thought I noticed that Adobe's recently released ACR 8.6, which supports the D810. Or not?
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8659794735/adobe-camera-raw-8-6-and-dng-converter-8-6-now-available

l_d_allan's gear list:l_d_allan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +22 more
l_d_allan
Like?
Re: Good 810 sales — #3 DSLR on Amazon
In reply to Robin Casady, 1 month ago

Robin Casady wrote:
As Reilly pointed out, the D810 is #3 on Amazon's DSLR best seller list. It is also the most expensive DSLR in the top 30.

Interesting.

Gosh, my humble Canon Rebel T3i kit bundle is #2, following the sub-Rebel T3 at #1.

BTW: I'm unfamiliar how to search Amazon that way, but may look into it.  It gets complicated because it appears to separate out different configurations, like my 6d body and a 6d kit.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +22 more
l_d_allan
Like?
D810 sales may spike if upcoming Canon 7d-ii announcement underwhelming? Many disgruntled ff'ers n/t
No text.
AlephNull
Contributing MemberPosts: 799Gear list
Like?
Re: Good 810 sales
In reply to Oldan New, 1 month ago

Oldan New wrote:

(vast numbers sold to D800/E upgraders)

That's not the point. When mirror-less cameras approach the resolution of the D800 family, they will obsolete the SLR and all its clunky mechanisms.

Approach the resolution? Have you not seen the Sony A7R? It has the same resolution. And no, it hasn't obsoleted the SLR.

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D810
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,786Gear list
Like?

It's not "workflow", it's a refresh model and SLR camera sales are in decline.  Buyers that have a d800 aren't gaining any more resolution but just 1 fps just like the d300s was.  nikon should not expect "good" sales of an expensive refresh model.  This might be different if they also didn't offer 35mm cameras in the df and d610.

philharris
Regular MemberPosts: 238Gear list
Like?
In reply to RedFox88, 1 month ago

RedFox88 wrote:

It's not "workflow", it's a refresh model and SLR camera sales are in decline. Buyers that have a d800 aren't gaining any more resolution but just 1 fps just like the d300s was. nikon should not expect "good" sales of an expensive refresh model. This might be different if they also didn't offer 35mm cameras in the df and d610.

I changed to a D810 and I would say it's a lot more than just a refresh. The AF is a substantial improvement, shutter is much smoother and quieter and the new highlight protection metering seems rather good.

All in all I am extremely happy with the upgrade. Reviews and responses here would seem to support that view.

-- hide signature --
 philharris's gear list:philharris's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +19 more
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,087Gear list
Like?
Not on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-Digital-Cameras/zgbs/electronics/281052/ref=zg_bs_nav_e_2_502394

Not bad for a 3k+ body ...

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
neil1c2000
Regular MemberPosts: 198
Like?
Re: Poor 810 sales - not where I am
In reply to bobn2, 1 month ago

bobn2 wrote:

PatrickP wrote:

I am frankly hoping for the 54mp D900 going hybrid EVF/OVF at the least....

Amazing how long it takes people to catch on to Nikon's new numbering scheme. The next one will be the D820.

-- hide signature --

Bob

He didn't say he was waiting for the next one.

-- hide signature --

Neil C

brianric
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,182Gear list
Like?
In reply to philharris, 1 month ago

philharris wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

It's not "workflow", it's a refresh model and SLR camera sales are in decline. Buyers that have a d800 aren't gaining any more resolution but just 1 fps just like the d300s was. nikon should not expect "good" sales of an expensive refresh model. This might be different if they also didn't offer 35mm cameras in the df and d610.

I changed to a D810 and I would say it's a lot more than just a refresh. The AF is a substantial improvement, shutter is much smoother and quieter and the new highlight protection metering seems rather good.

All in all I am extremely happy with the upgrade. Reviews and responses here would seem to support that view.

-- hide signature --

One other thing that most people are overlooking is the increased raw buffer on the D810.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +10 more
Thoughts R Us
Contributing MemberPosts: 531
Like?
Thom Hogan Too Negative

Thom Hogan is way too negative.  He gets depressing to read.

No matter what, he's always down on the camera companies, and especially Nikon.

Given the way he writes about Nikon, I'm surprised they are even in existence.  I am also surprised that  Thom still uses Nikon products.  Interesting.  So he criticizes them as if they are morons who can't do anything right, yet still buys their equipment.

As they say, the real measure is how someone spends their money; all else is BS.

I respect Thom, and have always learned something from reading him...but now it's gotten to the point that I largely tune him out.  I can almost predict what he will write:

Nikon just about can't get anything right.  Even when they get something right, they mess it up in some other way.  Nikon doesn't listen to or pay attention to customers.  Nikon makes bad business decisions. Nikon can't manage inventory properly.  Nikon can't even name their products properly. Nikon doesn't price properly, they don't manage releases properly, they have gaping holes in lens lineup...blah...blah...blah.

Nikon is clueless.  (But I still keep buying their products)...by Thom.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads