Poor 810 sales

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,900Gear list
Like?
Re: Poor 810 sales???
In reply to reps2, 4 months ago

reps2 wrote:

tommiejeep wrote:

I have sort of my own project going on of people using Mobiles, particularly in incongruous (to me) situations such as people working in the fields, dustmen, streetsweepers, etc. People taking photographs with iPads, and Tablets are the funniest .

-- hide signature --

Anticipate the Light and wing it when you get it wrong
Tom
http://taja.smugmug.com/

Yes iPad & Tablet photographers really can be very funny.

Rather like holding up a large book..

Only last month I was going around a National Trust stately home (for anyone who knows.. they keeps the interiors quite dark to preserve the colours and fabrics etc) and I was coincidentally in the same rooms many times with this other man.. around 65 yrs age with this his tablet merrily snapping away in a quite quick and efficient way.

I don't know what the photos are going to be like though.

Here was I bracing myself against anything secure and sqeeeezing the shutter button very slowly (for 1 1/15th sec shots) while John Doe was holding up his tablet in his left hand, arm stretched out, and stabbing the screen to take the photo, with the other!

Yes... quite bizarre

-- hide signature --

Richard

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

 Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D610 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chris2J
Regular MemberPosts: 374Gear list
Like?
Sounds like looking for sensation ...
In reply to jadot, 4 months ago

After downloading and opening a full D810 NEF file through ACR and into CS6, looking at it at 100% resolution, I definately want one. It's on my wishlist and I will definately go this way for my purposes - although it will be a long time before I can actually afford it.

-- hide signature --

Chris J

 Chris2J's gear list:Chris2J's gear list
Nikon D300 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Digetydog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,337Gear list
Like?
Re: Poor 810 sales
In reply to jadot, 4 months ago

Are D810 sales poor?  I don't see them on discount or easily available.

If the worst part of the "launch" was the failure of 3rd parties to have their software ready, I think Nikon did a good job on it.

 Digetydog's gear list:Digetydog's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brianric
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,199Gear list
Like?
Re: Poor 810 sales - not where I am
In reply to AWG_Pics, 4 months ago

AWG_Pics wrote:

I went by my pro photo store today and was put on their second wait list for a D810. Their first list has been fulfilled and then they ran out. Can't keep them on the shelves it seems.

Mine should be in Tuesday, hopefully. Went to the local store in Delaware.

 brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PatrickP
Contributing MemberPosts: 713Gear list
Like?
Re: Poor 810 sales - not where I am
In reply to inasir1971, 4 months ago

inasir1971 wrote:

PatrickP wrote:

That said, the Sony FE mount might prove to be the finally nail in Nikon's coffin regardless how good or how bad D810 sells. A future FE mount camera done right would sound a whole lot more interesting than a future D900 if the D900 still make use of the mirror...

Why? More specifically, if we are talking about higher end full frame DSLRs (D810 class and better) where the cost of the mirror mechanism and optics is not a consideration.

It has nothing to do with cost but capability. Many folks suspect even the Dn and Dn00 series could oneday go mirrorless (or go hybrid EVF/OVF) - in the time frame of next 5-10 years. The traditional mirror/prism OVF approach is becoming more and more of a liability, especially for folks who want a dual-use photo/video device.

I am frankly hoping for the 54mp D900 going hybrid EVF/OVF at the least....

All sorts of mirrorless cameras are slowly taking sales away from Nikon. For FX shooters, at present most of the mirrorless are employed as a secondary camera complimenting Nikon FX, would they one day be good enough to be the primary camera for all but the most hardcore pros?

 PatrickP's gear list:PatrickP's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 11,217
Like?
Re: Poor 810 sales - not where I am
In reply to larrywilson, 4 months ago

Yes, I believe the lack of sales is a bunch of bull.  Most people who wanted and possibly needed the d810 worked their way around the lack of capture nx-2.  A lot of these people use other editing programs than Nikon's.  Some people learn to use other programs besides Nikon software which are as good or better.

Larry

Third party support rarely has been there at day one, the only thing that is different this time that Nikon's raw converter, which I'm pretty sure only a minority actually uses, doesn't support U-Points anymore. Whipping this up to 'D810 not having a proper workflow' is a small minority wailing about having to modify their workflow.

This is not to say that Nikon should not enable third party raw converters to achieve the same quality as theirs (or offer better software themselves) but this almost nothing to do with the D810.

(One might ask whether enabling third-party raw converters to match Nikon's would enable other camera makers to match Nikon's in-camera jpegs which to some degree can provide a competitive advantage to Nikon.)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,448Gear list
Like?
Re: Poor 810 sales
In reply to jadot, 4 months ago

jadot wrote:

Thom Hogan suggests that Nikon aren't selling out of D810s because of the workflow support etc.

He might have a point, and his numbers might be right but if he stopped whining on about Nikon's management of this and that for a minute he might be able to see what's right there in front of us all.

A lot of people figured out that they didn't need a D800. A couple of years later, those Nikon users have realised that justifying the expense of regularly 'upgrading' for the sake of it is getting harder to swallow. Technically speaking the D810 is probably up there with best DSLRs on the market today, but it's also easier to decide not to jump into the next iteration of camera when the one you've already got is 99% going to continue to hit the high notes.

Also, a lot of people have moved from DSLRs to mirror-less Systems, specifically Fuji. Why? Because they're much improved and a lot has changed in this market since the D800 was released. It's liberated a lot of photographers I know. People who used to be devoted Nikon or Canon photographers have in some numbers moved on, un phased, un excited, and unimpressed that there is a new DSLR to blow another 3k on.

it may not be the whole story, but there has been a seismic shift in the pro-sumer and pro markets, particularly the weddings and lifestyle end of things, and that shift has been towards smaller, lighter, and very capable CSCs.

Personally, I'd love a D810, but I don't need one any more. It would be an expensive toy, and my cameras really have to earn their keep. It might be worth hiring one for the studio once in a while, but not a regular thing.

2 years ago I would have bought one on release but I'll pass on this today because I have better options for the kind of photography I do in 2014.

I'm not the only one.

-- hide signature --

examples of my photography at www.alexanderleaman.co.uk

This is not April 2012. This is an update of what was already a fantastic camera. As stupid as Nikon appears to be sometimes, I doubt they are oblivious to the fact that many 800/e owners will not need to update, or oblivious to the fact that some of the market have moved elsewhere. I also doubt that they were expecting the D810 to generate the sales of the D800

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.

 T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bill Dewey
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,632
Like?
LR 5.6 works like a charm
In reply to chuxter, 4 months ago

chuxter wrote:

Download LR 5.6?

It has been out for a week or so now.

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JohnDE
Junior MemberPosts: 37Gear list
Like?
Re: Poor 810 sales - not where I am
In reply to noirdesir, 4 months ago

noirdesir wrote:

Yes, I believe the lack of sales is a bunch of bull. Most people who wanted and possibly needed the d810 worked their way around the lack of capture nx-2. A lot of these people use other editing programs than Nikon's. Some people learn to use other programs besides Nikon software which are as good or better.

Larry

Third party support rarely has been there at day one, the only thing that is different this time that Nikon's raw converter, which I'm pretty sure only a minority actually uses, doesn't support U-Points anymore. Whipping this up to 'D810 not having a proper workflow' is a small minority wailing about having to modify their workflow.

This is not to say that Nikon should not enable third party raw converters to achieve the same quality as theirs (or offer better software themselves) but this almost nothing to do with the D810.

(One might ask whether enabling third-party raw converters to match Nikon's would enable other camera makers to match Nikon's in-camera jpegs which to some degree can provide a competitive advantage to Nikon.)

+1

 JohnDE's gear list:JohnDE's gear list
Nikon D3S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D810 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bgbs
Senior MemberPosts: 2,009
Like?
Re: Poor 810 sales
In reply to jadot, 4 months ago

Photographers who shoot with lighter equipment generally shoot subjects that don't require a photographic system behind it. Those who need the right lighting and lens systems for their subjects will not be switching to Fuji, or other mirror-less players.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
snooked123
Regular MemberPosts: 342Gear list
Like?
Why is Fuji not doing as well as Nikon?
In reply to jadot, 4 months ago

If your argument is true, Fuji's revenue should be as good as Nikon's and yet it isn't. Sony keeps on discounting a7. Why?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sandy b
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,658Gear list
Like?
Re: Poor 810 sales
In reply to jadot, 4 months ago

A lot of people have moved? Don't think so, I know some people have moved and many have come back. If so many people have moved why can't mirrorless generate enough traction to earn money for the manufacturer's?

Mirrorless will get out of niche when Canon and Nikon take it up a notch.

 sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D600 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
z2122
Regular MemberPosts: 263Gear list
Like?
Re: Why is Fuji not doing as well as Nikon?
In reply to snooked123, 4 months ago

If your argument is true, Fuji's revenue should be as good as Nikon's and yet it isn't. Sony keeps on discounting a7. Why?

before i switched from a canon aps-c go a nikon d610 ( with 4 expensive lenses) i tried the sony a7 abd a7r in a sony shop and fir me this was nothing i like. too small abd to much compact like. further there are not many good lenses - eg like a constant f2.8 or f4.
the weight of a d610+24-70 f2.8 is not a problem for me - it lies good in the hands. ( i see it as a physical training to go the whole day with that ff-combo)

 z2122's gear list:z2122's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Suhas Sudhakar Kulkarni
Regular MemberPosts: 153
Like?
Re: Poor 810 sales
In reply to jadot, 4 months ago

poor 810 sales is a bad news.

I was hoping everyone will buy d810, so that I get d800 at discounted price

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
chuxter
Forum ProPosts: 14,775Gear list
Like?
Re: Poor 810 sales
In reply to T O Shooter, 4 months ago

T O Shooter wrote:

I also doubt that they were expecting the D810 to generate the sales of the D800

That probably explains why the D810 is in short supply?

 chuxter's gear list:chuxter's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Nikon D300 Nikon D810 Nikon D50 Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tko
tko
Forum ProPosts: 10,454
Like?
facts please
In reply to jadot, 4 months ago

Technically speaking the D810 is probably up there with best DSLRs on the market today, but it's also easier to decide not to jump into the next iteration of camera when the one you've already got is 99% going to continue to hit the high notes.

No problem

Also, a lot of people have moved from DSLRs to mirror-less Systems, specifically Fuji. Why? Because they're much improved and a lot has changed in this market since the D800 was released. It's liberated a lot of photographers I know. People who used to be devoted Nikon or Canon photographers have in some numbers moved on, un phased, un excited, and unimpressed that there is a new DSLR to blow another 3k on.

it may not be the whole story, but there has been a seismic shift in the pro-sumer and pro markets, particularly the weddings and lifestyle end of things, and that shift has been towards smaller, lighter, and very capable CSCs.

Where's the proof? The numbers? The facts? OK, a bunch of wannabe amateurs may have jumped ship to smaller cameras that still fuel their fantasies (hence, the huge backlash when someone mentions they may not be as capable) but every single statistic suggests that the weapon of choice for any pro is the full size dSLR.

Once more, no customer who knows anything is going to hire someone who chooses a system because "it's lighter." My wedding isn't going to be impacted by your inability to carry the tools of your trade, and I'm not going to be happy if you show up with the same camera my kid just got for Christmas.

In Los Angeles every other kid is going to art or film school, and it's easy to get a crew of amateurs to do a full wedding with pro level video and camera equipment--all kids making extra money during while they learn their craft. From Hong Kong to San Francisco, the big, pro level wedding event is the new norm. Come here w/a mirrorless and look like a gunslinger with a knife.

Bottom line is, you say a seismic shift, but I see poor sales for mirrorless and dSLR's alike.

Personally, I'd love a D810, but I don't need one any more. It would be an expensive toy, and my cameras really have to earn their keep. It might be worth hiring one for the studio once in a while, but not a regular thing.

Every working pro has to make their own business decisions, and it certainly seems reasonable not to add a D810 if you have a D800.

2 years ago I would have bought one on release but I'll pass on this today because I have better options for the kind of photography I do in 2014.

Smaller options. Cheaper ones maybe. Not even close to better.

I'm not the only one.

Of course an incremental upgrade won't sell as much as totally new product. What that has to with mirrorless I have no idea.

-- hide signature --

professional cynic and contrarian: don't take it personally
http://500px.com/omearak

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 32,226
Like?
Re: Poor 810 sales - not where I am
In reply to PatrickP, 4 months ago

PatrickP wrote:

I am frankly hoping for the 54mp D900 going hybrid EVF/OVF at the least....

Amazing how long it takes people to catch on to Nikon's new numbering scheme. The next one will be the D820.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 32,226
Like?
Re: Poor 810 sales
In reply to jadot, 4 months ago

jadot wrote:

Thom Hogan suggests that Nikon aren't selling out of D810s because of the workflow support etc.

I'm not sure that he has any sales figures - the camera hasn't been out long enough for them to come in. Further, the number of people on these forums who already have D810s suggests that they are moving OK.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tissunique
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,218
Like?
Re: facts please
In reply to tko, 4 months ago

It's probably a safe bet that the D810 is not selling as many as previous D800 models. While there will be 'collectors' out there who can afford to add the latest and greatest, the vast majority, including serious pros (who are known to hang on to their current equipment for much longer if owned by them), will hang on to the very capable cameras they currently possess (is there any real reason to 'update' with the D810?). When considering the smaller mirrorless VS DSLR, in my own case I have both Fuji and Nikon with the former (X-E1/E2/Pro1 each with a different lens attached - 18-55/35/14) being used for holidays/travel/street while the D610 and DF are used exclusively for music gigs and portraiture (www.shakenstir.co.uk). And that will be it for me for several more years regardless of what is released.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
The_Suede
Contributing MemberPosts: 602
Like?
Not really - but Thom Hogan has poor ad revenues... :)
In reply to jadot, 4 months ago

If you'll excuse me, I'll use the same type of "evidence" as Thom to back that statement. My own loosely gathered intel from non-verifiable sources with no real knowledge of the matter.

IMO Thom is slowly - but steadily - moving closer to a kind of Ken Rockwell status. That is; he can be entertaining, but it's been a long time now since I really took anything he says as being even remotely related to reality and verifiable facts.

We need opinionators and people not afraid to voice their views. But we also need to make sure we never accept those views as facts - they're one person's opinions and interpretations. They are NOT in any way "true" in the way the leading word in that sentence - truth - is defined in any normal English dictionary.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads