Poor 810 sales

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
jadot
Regular MemberPosts: 142Gear list
Like?
Poor 810 sales
2 months ago

Thom Hogan suggests that Nikon aren't selling out of D810s because of the workflow support etc.

He might have a point, and his numbers might be right but if he stopped whining on about Nikon's management of this and that for a minute he might be able to see what's right there in front of us all.

A lot of people figured out that they didn't need a D800. A couple of years later, those Nikon users have realised that justifying the expense of regularly 'upgrading' for the sake of it is getting harder to swallow. Technically speaking the D810 is probably up there with best DSLRs on the market today, but it's also easier to decide not to jump into the next iteration of camera when the one you've already got is 99% going to continue to hit the high notes.

Also, a lot of people have moved from DSLRs to mirror-less Systems, specifically Fuji. Why? Because they're much improved and a lot has changed in this market since the D800 was released. It's liberated a lot of photographers I know. People who used to be devoted Nikon or Canon photographers have in some numbers moved on, un phased, un excited, and unimpressed that there is a new DSLR to blow another 3k on.

it may not be the whole story, but there has been a seismic shift in the pro-sumer and pro markets, particularly the weddings and lifestyle end of things, and that shift has been towards smaller, lighter, and very capable CSCs.

Personally, I'd love a D810, but I don't need one any more. It would be an expensive toy, and my cameras really have to earn their keep. It might be worth hiring one for the studio once in a while, but not a regular thing.

2 years ago I would have bought one on release but I'll pass on this today because I have better options for the kind of photography I do in 2014.

I'm not the only one.

-- hide signature --

examples of my photography at www.alexanderleaman.co.uk

Edited by moderator

Nikon D800 Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,578Gear list
Like?
Good 810 sales
In reply to jadot, 2 months ago

jadot wrote:

Thom Hogan suggests that Nikon aren't selling out of D810s because of the workflow support etc.

He might have a point, and his numbers might be right but if he stopped whining on about Nikon's management of this and that for a minute he might be able to see what's right there in front of us all.

A lot of people figured out that they didn't need a D800. A couple of years later, those Nikon users have realised that justifying the expense of regularly 'upgrading' for the sake of it is getting harder to swallow. Technically speaking the D810 is probably up there with best DSLRs on the market today, but it's also easier to decide not to jump into the next iteration of camera when the one you've already got is 99% going to continue to hit the high notes.

Also, a lot of people have moved from DSLRs to mirror-less Systems, specifically Fuji. Why? Because they're much improved and a lot has changed in this market since the D800 was released. It's liberated a lot of photographers I know. People who used to be devoted Nikon or Canon photographers have in some numbers moved on, un phased, un excited, and unimpressed that there is a new DSLR to blow another 3k on.

it may not be the whole story, but there has been a seismic shift in the pro-sumer and pro markets, particularly the weddings and lifestyle end of things, and that shift has been towards smaller, lighter, and very capable CSCs.

Personally, I'd love a D810, but I don't need one any more. It would be an expensive toy, and my cameras really have to earn their keep. It might be worth hiring one for the studio once in a while, but not a regular thing.

2 years ago I would have bought one on release but I'll pass on this today because I have better options for the kind of photography I do in 2014.

I'm not the only one.

-- hide signature --

Surprised Thom is hearing this - I was told that D810s had been flying out of the dealers in the UK (vast numbers sold to D800/E upgraders)

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Oldan New
Regular MemberPosts: 480
Like?
Re: Good 810 sales
In reply to sgoldswo, 2 months ago

(vast numbers sold to D800/E upgraders)

That's not the point. When mirror-less cameras approach the resolution of the D800 family, they will obsolete the SLR and all its clunky mechanisms.

SereneMelancholia
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
In reply to Oldan New, 2 months ago

Oldan New wrote:

(vast numbers sold to D800/E upgraders)

That's not the point. When mirror-less cameras approach the resolution of the D800 family, they will obsolete the SLR and all its clunky mechanisms.

Not this again!  The Sony A7R (same resolution) has been out for almost a year and still people are buying D810's.  DSLR's and MILC's have there own sets of strengths and weaknesses and it is up to the photographer to decide which meets his/her needs.  Neither is going to supplant the other for the foreseeable future.  Most of us are happy to have them live side by side and even use both types of cameras.

Jones R
Regular MemberPosts: 337Gear list
Like?
In reply to SereneMelancholia, 2 months ago

SereneMelancholia wrote:

DSLR's and MILC's have there own sets of strengths and weaknesses and it is up to the photographer to decide which meets his/her needs.

This is very true. I, for one, fully understand the type of feedback that one can only obtain with an EVF (white balance and such) but it is of no use to my type of shooting.

EVF aliasing still appears to be an issue. I tried out the Sony A7 (not A7R nor A7S) and if there are tilted lines in the viewfinder, the aliasing is rather obvious (and disturbing).

Jones R's gear list:Jones R's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +8 more
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,941Gear list
Like?
Re: Poor 810 sales

jadot wrote:

I'm not the only one.

-- hide signature --

I've been working with the new Nikon software and it's not wonderful. In some respects, with my NX-2 not working with D810 NEf files, I DO feel like Nikon released the camera without proper support.

I shot all week for a client and the D810 sits in the box. The D800 is on the tripod making money.

I know the software will catch up and I'll adjust, but Nikon was stupid to not keep NX2 working until the new software was more refined. Some of my friends bought the D810 and some did not. The ones who didn't cite the loss of NX-2 as part of their reasoning for taking a pass for know.

The D810 is available pretty much everywhere. Amazon will put one on your doorstep in 24 hours.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
AWG_Pics
Contributing MemberPosts: 692Gear list
Like?
Poor 810 sales - not where I am

I went by my pro photo  store today and was put on their second wait list for a D810. Their first list has been fulfilled and then they ran out. Can't keep them on the shelves it seems.

AWG_Pics's gear list:AWG_Pics's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D40 Nikon D90 Nikon D700 +40 more
Delain
Forum MemberPosts: 51Gear list
Like?
Re: Poor 810 sales - not where I am
In reply to AWG_Pics, 2 months ago

I better sell my D810 and go back to my D300 then!!!

-- hide signature --

Joey

Delain's gear list:Delain's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +2 more
larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,328Gear list
Like?

Yes, I believe the lack of sales is a bunch of bull.  Most people who wanted and possibly needed the d810 worked their way around the lack of capture nx-2.  A lot of these people use other editing programs than Nikon's.  Some people learn to use other programs besides Nikon software which are as good or better.

Larry

Jabs767
Contributing MemberPosts: 853Gear list
Like?
In reply to larrywilson, 2 months ago

Agreed, in Oz finally Nikon Australia supplied dealers with sufficient stock this time round compared to previous new releases.

My Nikon Pro dealer tells me this and confirms that he has had no problem selling the 810 and still orders more.

The 'Nikon' software (NX-DUD) is a problem but now with Adobe's release of latest ACR for use with CS6 or LR5, what's the problem?  Just waiting for Capture One v7 to be able open 810 NEF files and I'll be set.

However, it still raises the question if they (Nikon) can have CNX2 open D4S files then why not D810 files?  The release wasn't that far apart!

-- hide signature --
 Jabs767's gear list:Jabs767's gear list
Adobe Photoshop CS6
wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,494Gear list
Like?

jadot wrote:

I'm not the only one.

-- hide signature --

You sounded pretty angry, but you did a very good job convincing yourself you really don't need the D810. Personally, I don't think I could improve my photography if I had bought one.

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
AWG_Pics
Like?

Yup. I use LR5. I am sure I will figure something out to get the D810 NEFs converted from RAW. Have been a photoshop user since the mid 1990s. Somehow a new file format just does not seem that scary. Cameras are machines, photos are digits. I think I can cope.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D40 Nikon D90 Nikon D700 +40 more
AWG_Pics
Like?
In reply to wasserball, 2 months ago

Well, I don't knôw about you, but I am not going to be happy until I can resolve a diving kestrel's DNA at 1000 yards!

inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,231
Like?

AWG_Pics wrote:

I went by my pro photo store today and was put on their second wait list for a D810. Their first list has been fulfilled and then they ran out. Can't keep them on the shelves it seems.

Same situation at my store. Fortunately, I was one of the first to pre-order so I got mine. Seems, many held off on it and not so much interest before release as many weren't expecting it to be as much of an improvement as it has been. Once the camera was released and more information and experience reports became available, they sold out (demand way beyond their expectations and ability to source supply).

chuxter
Forum ProPosts: 13,979Gear list
Like?

Download LR 5.6?

chuxter's gear list:chuxter's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5700 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +8 more
PatrickP
Contributing MemberPosts: 710Gear list
Like?

larrywilson wrote:

Yes, I believe the lack of sales is a bunch of bull. Most people who wanted and possibly needed the d810 worked their way around the lack of capture nx-2. A lot of these people use other editing programs than Nikon's. Some people learn to use other programs besides Nikon software which are as good or better.

Larry

Even for people that use Nikon programs, ViewNX (2.x.0) has support for D810 even before D810 was released. In terms of color/WB accuracy nothing beats converting to JPG/TIFF from ViewNX/CNX/NX-d and then feed the JPG/TIF into Photoshop anyways...

That said, the Sony FE mount might prove to be the finally nail in Nikon's coffin regardless how good or how bad D810 sells. A future FE mount camera done right would sound a whole lot more interesting than a future D900 if the D900 still make use of the mirror...

PatrickP's gear list:PatrickP's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +4 more
coresare
Forum MemberPosts: 81
Like?

Looks like B&H Photo just ran out of stock

tommiejeep
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,800
Like?
Re: Poor 810 sales???

First batch delivered to India were all pre-booked. One of my dealers 'thinks' he might be able to give me one from the second batch due late this month.

I photograph many people using cameras, and I live in a pretty popular world-wide travel destination. I see many Smart Phone, quite a few DSLRs, very few P&S's these days, almost no M43/Sony ILCs/Fuji. In Kashmir and Turkey it was DSLRs and Smart Phones. In both of those locations there were a very large amount of Japanese, Korean and Chinese tour groups.

I have sort of my own project going on of people using Mobiles, particularly in incongruous (to me) situations such as people working in the fields, dustmen, streetsweepers, etc. People taking photographs with iPads, and Tablets are the funniest .

People in other locations may see different results

-- hide signature --

Anticipate the Light and wing it when you get it wrong
Tom
http://taja.smugmug.com/

reps2
Contributing MemberPosts: 670Gear list
Like?
Re: Poor 810 sales???
In reply to tommiejeep, 2 months ago

tommiejeep wrote:

I have sort of my own project going on of people using Mobiles, particularly in incongruous (to me) situations such as people working in the fields, dustmen, streetsweepers, etc. People taking photographs with iPads, and Tablets are the funniest .

-- hide signature --

Anticipate the Light and wing it when you get it wrong
Tom
http://taja.smugmug.com/

Yes iPad & Tablet photographers really can be very funny.

-- hide signature --

Richard

reps2's gear list:reps2's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +1 more
inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,231
Like?
In reply to PatrickP, 2 months ago

PatrickP wrote:

larrywilson wrote:

Yes, I believe the lack of sales is a bunch of bull. Most people who wanted and possibly needed the d810 worked their way around the lack of capture nx-2. A lot of these people use other editing programs than Nikon's. Some people learn to use other programs besides Nikon software which are as good or better.

Larry

Even for people that use Nikon programs, ViewNX (2.x.0) has support for D810 even before D810 was released. In terms of color/WB accuracy nothing beats converting to JPG/TIFF from ViewNX/CNX/NX-d and then feed the JPG/TIF into Photoshop anyways...

That said, the Sony FE mount might prove to be the finally nail in Nikon's coffin regardless how good or how bad D810 sells. A future FE mount camera done right would sound a whole lot more interesting than a future D900 if the D900 still make use of the mirror...

Why? More specifically, if we are talking about higher end full frame DSLRs (D810 class and better) where the cost of the mirror mechanism and optics is not a consideration.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads