New FZ1000!

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Ruth Lipnick
Regular MemberPosts: 262
Like?
Re: New FZ1000!
In reply to Ray Roberts, 4 months ago

Ray Roberts wrote:

Hello, I dont know about "special look" to them as I unfortunately find the noise when enlarged to 100% unacceptable especially at 125 iso. I know we are talking only a 1" sensor but am I missing something? Anybody else feel the same way?

I totally agree. My FZ1000 arrives tomorrow and I'm going to be torn between keeping it or holding onto my FZ200. I so wanted the bigger sensor but I haven't seen any samples which blow me away. Besides the noise, the colors from my FZ200 are always stunning. I'm not seeing this in most of the samples that have been posted.

-- hide signature --

Ruth

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tidewater
Contributing MemberPosts: 765Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ruth Lipnick, 4 months ago

Actually there are lots of good photos posted and some bad ones as well. There is something wrong with these. You should be able to view a 20mp picture at 20 MP full crop that is what its for. Use the review done by this website.  There is an incredible amount of baloney flying around on here and some of it is trolling. Whenever some new camera comes out we see weird looking samples from people who never posted before.

Rodger1943
Senior MemberPosts: 4,890Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ1000 macro
In reply to Donald B, 4 months ago

Donald B wrote:

Rodger1943 wrote:

This is a shot I took using one of the macro settings on the FZ1000. You can get closer using the so called tele macro setting, but my shots from using that setting were all a bit blury. I don't have a close-up lens for this camera, but its giving pretty good close-ups, although I wouldn't call them true macro shots like yours Donald.

Orange Lacewing.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

thanks rodger, what processing are you using this image has way to much noise and little detail compared to others im seeing from the 1000

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Pentax k7,fz150,xz1 my toys.

That's funny, because to my eyes the image looks highly detailed and I can't see any noise. I haven't processed the image, its straight out of the camera.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

Rodger1943's gear list:Rodger1943's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 +2 more
Donald B
Senior MemberPosts: 3,623Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rodger1943, 4 months ago

Rodger1943 wrote:

Donald B wrote:

Rodger1943 wrote:

This is a shot I took using one of the macro settings on the FZ1000. You can get closer using the so called tele macro setting, but my shots from using that setting were all a bit blury. I don't have a close-up lens for this camera, but its giving pretty good close-ups, although I wouldn't call them true macro shots like yours Donald.

Orange Lacewing.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

thanks rodger, what processing are you using this image has way to much noise and little detail compared to others im seeing from the 1000

cheers don

-- hide signature --

That's funny, because to my eyes the image looks highly detailed and I can't see any noise. I haven't processed the image, its straight out of the camera.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

download this Rodger and compare. especially wing detail

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Donald B
Senior MemberPosts: 3,623Gear list
Like?

100%

more like 200% to compare noise

-- hide signature --

SaltLakeGuy
Forum ProPosts: 10,666Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tidewater, 4 months ago

Tidewater wrote:

Actually there are lots of good photos posted and some bad ones as well. There is something wrong with these. You should be able to view a 20mp picture at 20 MP full crop that is what its for. Use the review done by this website. There is an incredible amount of baloney flying around on here and some of it is trolling. Whenever some new camera comes out we see weird looking samples from people who never posted before.

Yes....BUT. Bear in mind, which most don't, that a FULL sized file is NOT what is used for print purposes as it is interpolated (often at approximately 40-50% of it's original) and you needn't worry about small imperfections in a give picture such as lack of sharpness, contrast and worst of all NOISE. Do we consider the 100% view as important as a guideline of performance? ABSOLUTELY. But far too much is put into what 100% views provide. If you are a huge croppers than sure, it's an issue. The vast majority of photographers however are NOT. Files from even the finest DSLR's are not always real pretty to look at at 100% on a screen, but they sure do provide some sweet prints. From all indications and from what I've seen the FZ1000 is MORE than adequate to provide 22x17 prints that will be virtually perfect as compared to some minor issues in a full sized on screen scrutiny. Just something to consider in reality.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ1000 Camera, B+W MRC Nano ND-Vario ND Filter, B+W MRC Circular Polarizer, Panasonic's DMW-FL360L, Picturecode PhotoNinja, LightZone, Rawtherapee, Adobe Lightroom 5.6

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 3880
John Miles
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,738Gear list
Like?
In reply to SaltLakeGuy, 4 months ago

To repeat what I looked at earlier, I believe the 20MP is needed to view on the 4K screens coming out. The 10MP in the FZ50 is not up to the task.

-- hide signature --

FZ50 is still great though: http://www.juzaphoto.com/recensione.php?l=en&t=panasonic_lumix_fz50 . Performace diagram here: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3862228415/photos/2623982/fz50-performance-range

John Miles's gear list:John Miles's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +1 more
Ronomy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,871Gear list
Like?
In reply to John Miles, 4 months ago

To repeat what I looked at earlier, I believe the 20MP is needed to view on the 4K screens coming out. The 10MP in the FZ50 is not up to the task.

-- hide signature --

FZ50 is still great though: http://www.juzaphoto.com/recensione.php?l=en&t=panasonic_lumix_fz50 . Performace diagram here: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3862228415/photos/2623982/fz50-performance-range

In my option lens quality is more important for the best 4k image. 4K is only 8MP. Higher MP sensor allow for more cropping but the lens needs to be good enough to allow for that resolution.

Ronomy's gear list:Ronomy's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 7D Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM +1 more
John Miles
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,738Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ronomy, 4 months ago

Yes but beware expecting an 8Mb photo to look good on an 8Mb screen. There are all sorts of transfer issues, from captured image to screen if the image is not either bang on 8Mb or substantially bigger - 20Mb. The 8Mb 3x2 aspect ration images of the FZ50 would not be enough to view reasonably on a 4k TV, if experience at 1080 is anything to go by.

For instance, the LX2 has a native 16:9 sensor at 4224 x 2376, which shows as blurry pixel interpolation patches in a pattern across my Samsung HD TV screen. However lower its resolution to 3840 x 2160 in camera, and it proves to be both 4K and scalable by a round number of 2 to get to the 1080 screen. Pixel interpolation is therefore simplified so the TV processes and displays a sharper image from a smaller original.

Weird Huh!

PC video cards are much better. It's the TV screens that you need to check out.

PS. The LX2 shows how far ahead of the curve Panasonic were. Only the camera was reviewed exclusively in 4:3 mode by the dinosaurs on the review sites, because 16:9 didn't fit their test rigs. The sensor was getting on toward a 2/3" sensor cropped to 16:9. And they dropped it because everyone checked it out in 4:3 mode. Oh for the love of .............

-- hide signature --

John Miles's gear list:John Miles's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +1 more
Ronomy
Like?
In reply to John Miles, 4 months ago

I don't disagree John. There plenty of less than ideal video pprocessors out there that don't do justice to high resolution still images. With some TVs its best to try an match the resolution of the TV display so the processing by the TV is minimal. Its always best to turn off all display processing if possible when looking at your stills. Plus of course too much noise reduction of an 8MP sensor will wash away some of that resolution so higher MP sensors are better in that way. You can clean them up more and still have 8MP of real resolution.

Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 7D Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM +1 more
manthasfamily
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,073Gear list
Like?
In reply to nrshapiro, 4 months ago

My concern with these pictures are that at ISO 125 they are as noisy as they are.  Now I know a lot has to do with the setting of the camera.  AND...  I'm definitely not an expert by any means, but whether a 16mp camera or a 20mp noise is noise especially at such a low ISO, then again if the 20mp is downsized to the size of a 16mp camera maybe the noise won't be there.  Hopefully others will post pics with no post processing and show what noise looks like.

-- hide signature --

Karen
If it pleases you then to hell what everyone else thinks!

manthasfamily's gear list:manthasfamily's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 +2 more
sherman_levine
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,268Gear list
Like?

This is quite scruffy compared to the low-iso FZ1000 images I've seen elsewhere.   Are you sure you didn't use macro zoom (which is a digital zoom feature added for reasons obscure to me).

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Tidewater
Like?
In reply to manthasfamily, 4 months ago

There is something wrong with these Good full crop images should look fine thats how you can tell if they are OK, they are not noisy or blurred. A 20 MP full crop will not fit on my 23" screen pixel for pixel but the part that is visible looks good or there is a problem with the shot. These look like they were saved at 200% so dont worry about them they are a mess.. It has nothing to do with algorithims or fitting or uploading.

We always get shots like this when new cameras come out, posted by "new" members.

Jack Brandt217
Forum ProPosts: 11,151
Like?

I don't see any noise either Roger.

Jack

Jack Brandt217
Forum ProPosts: 11,151
Like?

Could it be that with the frenzy to be the first to get this hot new camera Panasonic is relaxing their usual tight QC protocols to get them to market and fulfill the demand???

Jack

Tidewater
Like?
In reply to Jack Brandt217, 4 months ago

Jack Brandt217 wrote:

Could it be that with the frenzy to be the first to get this hot new camera Panasonic is relaxing their usual tight QC protocols to get them to market and fulfill the demand???

Jack

No, I will be blunt. When new cameras come out I have noticed that there will be a number of posts showing some awfull I.Q. I have seen it several times but it is not the type of thing a camera can screw up. I think its called trolling. It has been warned about by others. Usually it is a new  "member" with few previous posts.

Just stick with the DPreview and IR reviews, and posts from the guys you know on here. I have had  Panasonics since 2004 and they have more credibility than some guy from who knows where.

Ronomy
Like?

I just finally had a look at your image on a big computer screen Rodger.  I think sharpness and noise reduction need to be reduced.  Reminds me of what my FZ200 looks like using the default settings. Detail doesn't look all that great on my screen at 100%.  Its possible that sharpness and noise reduction are fighting each other.  Just need to find the right balance of both settings.  Has anybody tried Natural mode yet?

Do you have ires turned on?  Just curious.

It looks like the OP's images are noisy because he didn't use any more noise reduction.  I think the defaults in LR are for very low amount of noise reduction which usually is noisy before you process it out.

IMHO!

Ronomy
Like?

Oh I wouldn't call a new member a troll!  With my first Panasonic camera I had some pretty crappy results too.  Just needed to learn how to use it and adjust it to get the best out of it.  That didn't make me a troll.

sherman_levine
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,268Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ronomy, 4 months ago

Ronomy wrote:

Oh I wouldn't call a new member a troll! With my first Panasonic camera I had some pretty crappy results too. Just needed to learn how to use it and adjust it to get the best out of it. That didn't make me a troll.

A troll with a bridge camera

I'll be happy to take a look a a few .rw2 if you want to separate out the processing from everything else.

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
SaltLakeGuy
Forum ProPosts: 10,666Gear list
Like?
Sherm, you gave me
In reply to sherman_levine, 4 months ago

sherman_levine wrote:

Ronomy wrote:

Oh I wouldn't call a new member a troll! With my first Panasonic camera I had some pretty crappy results too. Just needed to learn how to use it and adjust it to get the best out of it. That didn't make me a troll.

A troll with a bridge camera

I'll be happy to take a look a a few .rw2 if you want to separate out the processing from everything else.

my first big laugh of the day. Thanks for that.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ1000 Camera, B+W MRC Nano ND-Vario ND Filter, B+W MRC Circular Polarizer, Panasonic's DMW-FL360L, Picturecode PhotoNinja, LightZone, Rawtherapee, Adobe Lightroom 5.6

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 3880
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads