New FZ1000!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions
nrshapiro
New MemberPosts: 24Gear list
Like?
New FZ1000!
1 month ago

I received my FZ1000 on Thursday. I've done a few shots for tests, and I'm happy to share them.

I did a few macros, then some low light shots downtown at a drum circle to test high ISO.

And I just did a brief test capturing a still from 4K.

So far I really like it. I shoot RAW, but I've had it set on RAW + JPEG.

Here's a still capture test...just a simple test on my front walk (I was shooting some ants, then I thought this fly was a little more interesting). No SOOC...imported into LR, cropped, and some adjustments there to optimize exposure. Trying to see what I can easily "get out" of a screen capture...can I actually get a usable photo?

BTW - The shot has some EXIF, but not full EXIF. That means captures done this way have limitations in usage...it won't fly for anything that needs in-camera unaltered EXIF on stills.

Cropped capture from 4K video (adjusted in LR)

Here are some RAW captures, exposure etc adjusted in LR but without ANY sharpening other than LR's defaults of 25. These are exported to full size, if it lets me upload them!

9.12mm, Full Size, exposure and color adjustments, default sharpen in LR (25), no sharpen on export

24.33mm, Raw image, Full Size, exposure and color adjustments, default sharpen in LR (25), no sharpen on export

35.95mm. Raw image, Full Size, exposure and color adjustments, default sharpen in LR (25), no sharpen on export

122mm, Raw image, Full Size, exposure and color adjustments, default sharpen in LR (25), no sharpen on export

nrshapiro's gear list:nrshapiro's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D600 +9 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Donald B
Senior MemberPosts: 3,377Gear list
Like?
Re: New FZ1000!
In reply to nrshapiro, 1 month ago

enjoy your new camera, but have yet to see any macro work from the fz1000 that competes with my fz150 setup.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Pentax k7,fz150,xz1 my toys.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nrshapiro
Like?
In reply to Donald B, 1 month ago

Donald B wrote:

enjoy your new camera, but have yet to see any macro work from the fz1000 that competes with my fz150 setup.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

That is a very nice macro indeed.

My fly above was actually not a macro, but a cropped capture from a 4k video.  I forgot to post my macro...here's one of the first FZ1000 shots I took...a spider.  No sharpening other than the LR default.  Adjustments to brightness, contrast, vibrance, and a touch of midtone contrast (clarity):

FZ1000, ISO 400, 126mm, RAW, converted in LR with default sharpening (25).  Exposure adjustments and a small midtone contrast adjustment.

Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D600 +9 more
Donald B
Like?

cool photo, have you tried any macro filters on your new camera, a friend and myself are waiting to see anyone give it a go. the new fz looks like a winner ,even for my studio work as it can stream live view to a monitor, look forward to more of your shots.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,878Gear list
Like?

Interesting results. I've not tried RAW yet so good to see what you are doing.

What is that fascinating building?

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
nrshapiro
Like?
In reply to PC Wheeler, 1 month ago

That's the Nott Memorial on the Union College Campus.

"The Nott Memorial is an elaborate 16-sided stone-masonry building which serves as both architectural and physical centerpiece of Union College in Schenectady, New York. Dedicated to Eliphalet Nott, president of Union for a remarkable sixty-two years (1804-1866), the 110-foot (34 m) high by 89-foot (27 m) wide structure is a National Historic Landmark."

Wikipedia

Timj351
Senior MemberPosts: 2,057
Like?

Very nice photos. It seems you are going to do very well with this camera. What struck me right away was how film like and natural these shots appear with your settings. I'm looking forward to seeing more from you, thanks for sharing these.

-Tim

Rodger1943
Senior MemberPosts: 4,004Gear list
Like?
FZ1000 macro

This is a shot I took using one of the macro settings on the FZ1000. You can get closer using the so called tele macro setting, but my shots from using that setting were all a bit blury. I don't have a close-up lens for this camera, but its giving pretty good close-ups, although I wouldn't call them true macro shots like yours Donald.

Orange Lacewing.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

Rodger1943's gear list:Rodger1943's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 +2 more
Donald B
Like?
Re: FZ1000 macro
In reply to Rodger1943, 1 month ago

Rodger1943 wrote:

This is a shot I took using one of the macro settings on the FZ1000. You can get closer using the so called tele macro setting, but my shots from using that setting were all a bit blury. I don't have a close-up lens for this camera, but its giving pretty good close-ups, although I wouldn't call them true macro shots like yours Donald.

Orange Lacewing.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

thanks rodger, what processing are you using this image has way to much noise and little detail compared to others im seeing from the 1000

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Donald B
Like?
In reply to Timj351, 1 month ago

Timj351 wrote:

Very nice photos. It seems you are going to do very well with this camera. What struck me right away was how film like and natural these shots appear with your settings. I'm looking forward to seeing more from you, thanks for sharing these.

-Tim

totally agree Tim they have a special look to them.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Ray Roberts
Regular MemberPosts: 212Gear list
Like?

Hello, I dont know about "special look" to them as I unfortunately find the noise when enlarged to 100% unacceptable especially at 125 iso. I know we are talking only a 1" sensor but am I missing something? Anybody else feel the same way?

Ray Roberts's gear list:Ray Roberts's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D7000
Donald B
Like?
In reply to Ray Roberts, 1 month ago

Ray Roberts wrote:

Hello, I dont know about "special look" to them as I unfortunately find the noise when enlarged to 100% unacceptable especially at 125 iso. I know we are talking only a 1" sensor but am I missing something? Anybody else feel the same way?

i don't know what settings you have on your screen but I see very little to no noise even at 200%

-- hide signature --

BolleDuc
Regular MemberPosts: 236Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ray Roberts, 1 month ago

Ray Roberts wrote:

I was afraid to say anything in case I too was totally missing something but I feel exactly the same. Don't really know if it's noise or something else but it has a really noisy grainy look to it, just not crisp & sharp, that I think is even beaten by the smaller sensored FZ200 sample.

I really want one of these cameras but these examples aren't the most encouraging I've seen. Not trying to take a poke at anyone, or at the camera, but I would like to hear this "look" explained.

Paul

PS - I've looked with Safari & Chrome on a Mac & with IE & Chrome on a PC. All show the same result at 100%.

-- hide signature --

Dilettante - my hobby is buying & selling cameras not photography!
Panasonic GX7, Olympus E-PM2 & Canon S90 (IR Converted 590nm)

BolleDuc's gear list:BolleDuc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Canon PowerShot S90 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus PEN E-PM2 +5 more
Donald B
Like?
In reply to BolleDuc, 1 month ago

BolleDuc wrote:

Ray Roberts wrote:

I was afraid to say anything in case I too was totally missing something but I feel exactly the same. Don't really know if it's noise or something else but it has a really noisy grainy look to it, just not crisp & sharp, that I think is even beaten by the smaller sensored FZ200 sample.

I really want one of these cameras but these examples aren't the most encouraging I've seen. Not trying to take a poke at anyone, or at the camera, but I would like to hear this "look" explained.

Paul

PS - I've looked with Safari & Chrome on a Mac & with IE & Chrome on a PC. All show the same result at 100%.

-- hide signature --

can you post a screen shot to show us your results.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

sbansban
Forum MemberPosts: 76Gear list
Like?

BolleDuc wrote:

Ray Roberts wrote:

Paul

-- hide signature --

I also was surprised at how noisy the photos were even at low ISO at both wide and tele ends - it literally jumped out at me - then I scrolled down to check if anyone else thought the same and found your posts. I was planning to buy this camera for an upcoming trip to Asia in October in spite of its price tag and now I am not so sure.

sbansban's gear list:sbansban's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 +16 more
BolleDuc
Like?

Donald B wrote:

BolleDuc wrote:

Ray Roberts wrote:

Paul

-- hide signature --

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Hi Don,

This is what the pic looks like on my monitor at 100%. The clip below is from my recent model Macbook Air but it doesn't get any better on my high res Dell monitor. And don't get me wrong, I still intend to get this camera but I've seen far better pics from the FZ1000 online. I just don't think that these are good examples & the OP might want to do some further checking to ensure that he doesn't have any problems. At that low ISO level, he should be seeing a much crisper image I think.

Paul

Snip of original at 100% from MBA

-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Canon PowerShot S90 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus PEN E-PM2 +5 more
Donald B
Like?

BolleDuc wrote:

Donald B wrote:

BolleDuc wrote:

Ray Roberts wrote:

Paul

-- hide signature --

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Hi Don,

This is what the pic looks like on my monitor at 100%. The clip below is from my recent model Macbook Air but it doesn't get any better on my high res Dell monitor. And don't get me wrong, I still intend to get this camera but I've seen far better pics from the FZ1000 online. I just don't think that these are good examples & the OP might want to do some further checking to ensure that he doesn't have any problems. At that low ISO level, he should be seeing a much crisper image I think.

Paul

Snip of original at 100% from MBA

-- hide signature --

I just down loaded the original and your crop is %200

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Donald B
Like?

the dpr site is only 900 pix wide so if you hit the %100 button and your screen is like mine 1920 wide and you set the site to fill your screen width then %100 is actually %200 a few weeks a go I had the same problem. I was thinking wow all these photos have heaps of noise.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

BolleDuc
Like?

Donald B wrote:

the dpr site is only 900 pix wide so if you hit the %100 button and your screen is like mine 1920 wide and you set the site to fill your screen width then %100 is actually %200 a few weeks a go I had the same problem. I was thinking wow all these photos have heaps of noise.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

These pics still don't match the quality of others I've viewed under the same conditions. Below is a clip from the download as you describe. Still not very good to my eye.

Paul

-- hide signature --

SaltLakeGuy
Forum ProPosts: 10,513Gear list
Like?
I've got news for you
In reply to sbansban, 1 month ago

If you look at pretty much ANY camera's output at 100% on a screen you WILL see noise, and sometimes quite a bit more than you see here on the FZ1000. The typical view which offers equivalency in what you would expect in a print lets say, is about 40-50%, and that is for up to a 13x19 print, which frankly is larger than the national average by a good margin.  When you look at this image at 50% as an example, not only is it plenty sharp and full of detail with excellent color, but the noise is literally GONE. So I wouldn't obsess over what you're seeing in that regard. If you are planning on heavy cropping, than that might be another deal.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ1000 Camera, B+W MRC Nano ND-Vario ND Filter, B+W MRC Circular Polarizer, Panasonic's DMW-FL360L, Picturecode PhotoNinja, LightZone, Rawtherapee, Adobe Lightroom 5.6

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Epson Stylus Pro 3880
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads