Help needed: Travel Tripod for A7+LAE-A4?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
darkdirtydwarf
Contributing MemberPosts: 798Gear list
Like?
Help needed: Travel Tripod for A7+LAE-A4?
3 months ago

I'll try to be quick and clear to give you a better understanding of my problem.

1. I almost never use the tripod, I hate it, it's annoying to carry it, use it, it's for nerds
  2. I need to use one to improve my photography, no way around it
  3. It must be compatible with the A7 equipped with the LAE-A4

My first choice would have been the 3LT Eddie. I want something small, light, that I would not mind taking with me "just in case", and if it's fancy it helps feeling less nerdy carrying it around. The built in monopod of the 3LT Eddie is a big plus and this model has plenty of extra features (weight hook, bubble level etc).

Unfortunately the plate is too big and won't allow me to use it with the A7 when using the LAE-A4 on it (the motor of the adapter gets in the way). As most of my wide angle and tele lenses are A mount, being able to use the tripod with the A7 sporting the LAE-A4 is a must.

The solutions I imagine are:

1. Buy the Eddie and use it with a smaller plate (is it compatible? Would it be overkill?)
  2. Buy the Eddie without ball head and get a ball head with a smaller plate (which one?)
  3. Buy another tripod, like the Keith (or equivalent from another brand: suggestions?).

I'm new to tripods, I have a crappy unstable plasticky one I rarely used cause my hands are steadier, so I'm open to suggestions. I'd prefer to keep the cost below 500 Euro.

Thanks in advance!

darkdirtydwarf's gear list:darkdirtydwarf's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
WestO
New MemberPosts: 22Gear list
Like?
Re: Help needed: Travel Tripod for A7+LAE-A4?
In reply to darkdirtydwarf, 3 months ago

MeFoto Backpacker or Roadtrip - Strong, portable, lightweight, and sturdy tripod. Check the reviews anywhere, you will find happy customers; I'm one.

WestO's gear list:WestO's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS NEX5R Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
darkdirtydwarf
Like?
In reply to WestO, 3 months ago

I'll check their website. There is a useful "Help me choose" system. I'm gonna try it and see which model they say fits my needs

Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
WestO
Like?

darkdirtydwarf wrote:

I'll check their website. There is a useful "Help me choose" system. I'm gonna try it and see which model they say fits my needs

You should be Ok. The backpacker is more portable, but the Roadtrip has a built-in monopod, which is nice for someone like yourself that doesn't like to carry a tripod. I have used it with the LAE-A2 with 5T, so it should be an issue with the A7. The plate is very small but solid. Good luck.

-- hide signature --
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS NEX5R Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN +2 more
darkdirtydwarf
Like?
In reply to WestO, 3 months ago

WestO wrote:

darkdirtydwarf wrote:

You should be Ok. The backpacker is more portable, but the Roadtrip has a built-in monopod, which is nice for someone like yourself that doesn't like to carry a tripod. I have used it with the LAE-A2 with 5T, so it should be an issue with the A7. The plate is very small but solid. Good luck.

The roadtrip is quite nice. But for the price difference (aluminium version), I'm trying to decide whether I should just go for the globetrotter model. It's still small but seems to have a better plate.

What would you say?

Letsgokoulos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,448
Like?

Have you thought of attaching the tripod on the LA-EA4 adapter ?

I can't imagine a tripod plate would be a problem there...

Marc

darkdirtydwarf
Like?
In reply to Letsgokoulos, 3 months ago

Letsgokoulos wrote:

Have you thought of attaching the tripod on the LA-EA4 adapter ?

I can't imagine a tripod plate would be a problem there...

Marc

LoL!

Obviously I didn't... I am so used to the LAE-A1 with the tripod adapter removed that I completely forgot that the LAE-A4 has a thread under it...

Thanks for pointing it out! Now I could get the Eddie, but thanks to this thread I realized the MeFOTO tripods are enough for my needs and a lot cheaper

JeffGo
Contributing MemberPosts: 665Gear list
Like?

I recently bought the Roadtrip Carbon as well. It's quite light and the monopod is a nice to have feature. The clamp does interfere a little with the L bracket I am using but should be fine with an adapter+plate instead.

JeffGo's gear list:JeffGo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 28mm F2 Ultron Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +8 more
WestO
Like?

I think the globetrotter weighs about a pound more. for someone who doesn't like to carry tri-pods to begin with, it will be noticed. Also if your are using it on an A7 with E-mount lenses, the plate on the roadtrip will suffice.

-- hide signature --
darkdirtydwarf
Like?
In reply to JeffGo, 2 months ago

JeffGo wrote:

I recently bought the Roadtrip Carbon as well. It's quite light and the monopod is a nice to have feature. The clamp does interfere a little with the L bracket I am using but should be fine with an adapter+plate instead.

Is the carbon version really better than the alloy version? I'm having a hard time trying to decide. I rather invest the extra cash in a lens or something...

darkdirtydwarf
Like?
In reply to WestO, 2 months ago

WestO wrote:

I think the globetrotter weighs about a pound more. for someone who doesn't like to carry tri-pods to begin with, it will be noticed. Also if your are using it on an A7 with E-mount lenses, the plate on the roadtrip will suffice.

Yes, you're correct, it's one more pound. The carbon fiber version has the same weight of the roadtrip in aluminium (but costs so much, I'd rather buy both tripods in the aluminium version...).

I'm planning on using it with longer lenses too. I have a Minolta AF 100-400 APO that's quite heavy and slow.

I can't use it hand held properly, it's doable with a lot of light, but extended is hard to frame the image correctly quickly and the lack of any kind of stabilization makes it even worse in less than ideal light conditions; even still images require sniper skills, but even holding my breath while pressing the shutter is not enough to get the best out of this lens (this lens is not tack sharp to begin with).

Of course I CANNOT afford the FE70-210 (I mean, I could, but hey, my son's got to eat... )

PVCdroid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,143Gear list
Like?
In reply to darkdirtydwarf, 2 months ago

darkdirtydwarf wrote:

I'll try to be quick and clear to give you a better understanding of my problem.

1. I almost never use the tripod, I hate it, it's annoying to carry it, use it, it's for nerds

My first choice would have been the 3LT Eddie. I want something small, light, that I would not mind taking with me "just in case", and if it's fancy it helps feeling less nerdy carrying it around. The built in monopod of the 3LT Eddie is a big plus and this model has plenty of extra features (weight hook, bubble level etc).

Unfortunately the plate is too big and won't allow me to use it with the A7 when using the LAE-A4 on it (the motor of the adapter gets in the way). As most of my wide angle and tele lenses are A mount, being able to use the tripod with the A7 sporting the LAE-A4 is a must.

1. Buy the Eddie and use it with a smaller plate (is it compatible? Would it be overkill?)
  2. Buy the Eddie without ball head and get a ball head with a smaller plate (which one?)
  3. Buy another tripod, like the Keith (or equivalent from another brand: suggestions?).

I'm new to tripods, I have a crappy unstable plasticky one I rarely used cause my hands are steadier, so I'm open to suggestions. I'd prefer to keep the cost below 500 Euro.

Thanks in advance!

Save some money. Check these out:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3697570

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Xperia Z3
darkdirtydwarf
Like?
In reply to PVCdroid, 2 months ago

PVCdroid wrote:

Save some money. Check these out:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3697570

thanks for the input!

They look interesting, I'll read up a bit and see whether I could buy one of these instead (the Q-666 in carbon fiber seems very interesting)

JeffGo
Like?

darkdirtydwarf wrote:

JeffGo wrote:

Is the carbon version really better than the alloy version? I'm having a hard time trying to decide. I rather invest the extra cash in a lens or something...

You will just have to hold each one. To me it was worth it but the difference in weight is only about a half pound. I don't think there is any other differences and the alloy comes in lots of accent colors.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 28mm F2 Ultron Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +8 more
mgerpe
Regular MemberPosts: 242
Like?

darkdirtydwarf wrote:

Thanks in advance!

I love my 3LT but for traveling light you should go with something much much smaller and lighter.

-- hide signature --

"Sit loosely in the saddle of life"
http://www.michaelgerpe.com

darkdirtydwarf
Like?
In reply to mgerpe, 2 months ago

mgerpe wrote:

I love my 3LT but for traveling light you should go with something much much smaller and lighter.

Which weight do you thing would be best? Isn't there the problem of having a tripod that's not that stable, it it's too light? Smaller one also tend to have no hook to add weight...

Choosing a tripod turns out to be much more complicated than I expected..

JeffGo
Like?

darkdirtydwarf wrote:

mgerpe wrote:

Which weight do you thing would be best? Isn't there the problem of having a tripod that's not that stable, it it's too light? Smaller one also tend to have no hook to add weight...

It will really depend on the tripod. I bought a Manfrotto carbon fiber 190CX3 and it turned out to not be very stable - they have revised it recently. But the carbon fiber meFoto Roadtrip is very stable, and it has a weight hook.

Brian_Smith
Senior MemberPosts: 1,584
Like?

darkdirtydwarf wrote:

I'm really happy with the 3 Legged Thing Brian. It's very solid and no vibration with that combination and a 70-400mm G lens.

darkdirtydwarf
Like?
In reply to JeffGo, 2 months ago

JeffGo wrote:

darkdirtydwarf wrote:

mgerpe wrote:

It will really depend on the tripod. I bought a Manfrotto carbon fiber 190CX3 and it turned out to not be very stable - they have revised it recently. But the carbon fiber meFoto Roadtrip is very stable, and it has a weight hook.

thanks for the answer (and to putting up with all my typos, I should take more care when I write here.. )

The meToto tripods are very tempting due to the price. But I guess still need to do some thinking regarding how I will use it, in order to better chose the right model (I really don't want to end up buying two, for now...).

darkdirtydwarf
Like?
In reply to Brian_Smith, 2 months ago

Brian_Smith wrote:

I'm really happy with the 3 Legged Thing Brian. It's very solid and no vibration with that combination and a 70-400mm G lens.

Hi Brian, thanks for your input, I value it!

Do you think the changes made in the Eddie model are worth the extra cost compared to the Brian?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads